Training camp opens in approx. 3 weeks, who makes the cut?

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
I know our prospects need time to grow and all that crap, but it's so enticing bringing some of these guys up now.

Turcotte - Kopitar - Brown
Kempe - Vilardi - Fagemo
Iafallo - Andersson - Carter
Wagner - Lizotte - Grundstrom

Bjornfot - Doughty
Anderson - Roy
Maatta - Walker

Petersen
Quick

I know a lot of us here love Lias Andersson but he is one of my least favorite prospects. I'd much rather have Frk anywhere in the lineup then Andersson but that's just me.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I know a lot of us here love Lias Andersson but he is one of my least favorite prospects. I'd much rather have Frk anywhere in the lineup then Andersson but that's just me.
I feel for Frk.He stayed in the minors another year with a different organization,put up the points got called up put up some goals and then LA got him to sign a cheapy contract. He makes it with Vilardi,ends up in Seattle in the expansion draft(I doubt this scenario happens) or ends up playing for Czech team or KHL team. I hoping he does well here in LA

Reactions: ru4reals

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I'm intrigued by Lias Andersson and everyone deserves a second chance he's just a kid.Like to see a Tre Kronor line myself...pay homage to our very first Swede and best player on those early(1970's) Kings teams for me(respect due Butch Goring)...Juha (Whitey)Widing!

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Andersson is the prospect I am most excited about outside of blue chips. I really think that, at the very worst, he could be a very important third line piece or he could even be a cheap second liner after the blood bath for top 6 spots ends with all of our high-end prospects. That being said, I like Frk a lot and he has earned his place to try and remain and earn his spot as well. He has been a great pickup and his slapshot is a lethal weapon to have on the bottom 6 or to add to our special teams to offset the opposing teams' focus on our core players.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Andersson is the prospect I am most excited about outside of blue chips. I really think that, at the very worst, he could be a very important third line piece or he could even be a cheap second liner after the blood bath for top 6 spots ends with all of our high-end prospects. That being said, I like Frk a lot and he has earned his place to try and remain and earn his spot as well. He has been a great pickup and his slapshot is a lethal weapon to have on the bottom 6 or to add to our special teams to offset the opposing teams' focus on our core players.
I am getting more excited about D-Spence everyday

ricardfromage

"You wanted the Germs, you get em"
Mar 5, 2020
paradise
This might have been posted elsewhere already today but I work in the WHL and I was told a few hours ago that I should start making contingency plans for this coming season. It isn't over yet but it could soon be. I know there have been different reports made regarding the 1/6 start date being pushed back but for them to contact staff and tell them this doesn't look good.

Reactions: Rooks and Token

ricardfromage

Mar 5, 2020
paradise
I won't believe there's an NHL season until it actually happens. I'm not rubbing two brain cells together even thinking about it.

Aww come on now brother....you.....you can do it.....I know you can if you reeeeeeeaaaaly want to.........come on......you can do it.......... there ya go!

Sorry, I couldn't help it. Egg nog is happening.
:nod:

ricardfromage

Mar 5, 2020
paradise
If training camp starts in mid-December, then how does that impact the young guys playing in the World Juniors? The latter won't end until January 5th. So while those guys will be playing and in shape, they won't be with the Kings early on and thus it seems would hamper their small chances to make the team.
A couple of the kids I know decided to forego the WJC's so that they can be ready for NHL camp.

SufferingSelfCreated

Apr 5, 2020
A couple of the kids I know decided to forego the WJC's so that they can be ready for NHL camp.
IMO, the only players with a real shot at making the Kings opening night roster who are currently playing at the WJC, are Kaliyev, & Turcotte. And moreso for Kaliyev. I don't see the maturity in Turcotte's play yet.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
I still pick Turcotte and Byfield every time. But at at both drafts I did have thoughts against it and to go for the high skill guys in Zegras and Stutzle. Im sure all of you did too. Those two guys on the same team would be fun to watch. Long term I think Turcotte and Byfield will be grinding out playoff wins for years whereas the other guys may lose a step after their first couple injuries in the pros and be less effective in the situations where you have to lay it all on the line. Time will tell. Stutzle may be the only one of the 4 ready to play in the NHL right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghetty Green

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
The only Kings rookies I can see making the team are Fagemo, Anderson and Bjornfot. Turcotte and Kaliyev need time, if play in the WJC continues like this why put them in the NHL. Yes Turcotte isn’t playing badly but he’s only playing decent. Which will slowly work him down the lines and I want him working on 1st or 2nd line minutes not 3rd or 4th.

Kaliyev is such an odd situation because it’s NHL or juniors for him. And I don’t know if another season of juniors will help. But then also I don’t know if low minutes even strength and on the PP will help him either.

I feel everybody is in too much of a rush to put the kids all in at once. This team will still probably be bad this season. The defense past Doughty and Mattaa has the next top games played leader as Walker with 109. So that leaves MacDermid, Roy, Anderson, Bjornfot, and Clague all under that.

Reactions: Schrute farms

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
Iafallo-Kopitar-Brown
Turcotte-Vilardi-Frk
Kempe-Andersson-Grundstrom
Moore-Lizotte-Wagner
JAD

Maatta-Doughty
Anderson-Roy
Bjornfot-Walker
MacDermid

Quick-Petersen

If we look at these lines with just pure experience of games played.

227 - 1073 - 1183
0 - 10 - 117
256 - 66 - 28
67 - 66 - 127

427 - 919
6 - 95
3 - 109

That’s a whole lot of inexperience and just spells a huge mess and confidence shot for the youngsters.

JJDrums

Oct 27, 2015
Cambridge, Ontario
Byfield? Turcotte? Bjornfot?

Watching Byfield float through Team Canada's game tonight, he is not ready at all .. Turcotte did not look much better with Team USA last night .. looked like he was at least minus 2 or 3 on the night. Bjornfot looks like a complete package. good with puck .. good decisions .. good positioning

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Question on Bjornfot:

Is he almost a lock to make the team, assuming he does ok in training camp?

Is he in training camp now?

Bjornfot is now in camp with other kids who played in the WJC gold medal game. Many of us think he is ready, but I think he's going to start in the AHL and get some games with the big club this season. With the addition of Maatta and the expansion draft coming up, the Kings need to see what they have in Clague to see if he's worthy of protection or not. Right now, the pairings are looking like Maatta/Doughty - Anderson/Roy - MacDermid or Clague/Walker.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Iafallo-Kopitar-Brown
Athanasiou-Lizotte-Carter
Kempe-Vilardi-Frk
Grundstrom-Amadio-Wagner
Moore

Maatta-Doughty
Anderson-Roy
Clague-Walker
MacDermid

Quick-Petersen​
I concur with these lines

Edit- I somehow missed Amadio. Either he takes it to the next level this season or he is out

Last edited:

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Really hoping for Kempe and Wagner to put it together this year. Scoring contributions from those two would go a long way for the team. They both looked great on the forecheck last season and had many chances to convert. Im pulling for them to take that next step. Amadio has the skill but he doesnt have the intensity of a bottom 6 player. For guys with his skill set its usually top 6 or nothing. Im pulling for him too. Looking forward to the season. Well get a clearer picture of where our prospects coming up will fit into the lineup. Also the world juniors made me realize how much i miss watching hockey.

Reactions: Choralone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad