Training camp 2023-2024

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
The Pierre Dorion "Get Off to a Fast Start" line up

Nothing is more annoying as an employee than having to perform in spite of your management. Instead of putting the players in a position to succeed and supporting them, may have to play a player down, Deserving player in Smejkal in the minors, and Pinto on the sidelines.

Annoying that this is the story. It should be about this great young team looking poised to finally have a strong start.

I think they can still do it. Certainly some self-inflicted adversity though. Doesn't seem best in class that is for sure.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Yes, sounds OK IF all this happens relatively soon i.e., a few weeks before American Thanksgiving.

What Staois & Andlauer have said is that there's still a lot of work to do. It will be interesting to see what that actually entails. A lot of the existing roster are young with long term contracts, so perhaps the focus will be on other aspects (i.e., not players).
To get to "best in class", there is a heck of a lot of work to do!

Big body but also shown he can make plays from that goal line spot.
He has not been a great scorer during his career. He looks like a 4th liner.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Dorion not being able to get out his own way is truly incredible

Nothing is more annoying as an employee than having to perform in spite of your management. Instead of putting the players in a position to succeed and supporting them, may have to play a player down, Deserving player in Smejkal in the minors, and Pinto on the sidelines.

Annoying that this is the story. It should be about this great young team looking poised to finally have a strong start.

I think they can still do it. Certainly some self-inflicted adversity though. Doesn't seem best in class that is for sure.
Zero cap space and Greig and Chartier as 2 and 3c. That’s some roster construction

Reactions: Icelevel

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

Don’t believe I said he was a great scorer. They have a role they want to fill and he is probably the best fit.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Big body but also shown he can make plays from that goal line spot.
They can't even call anyone up if McEwans injured...

They're gunna play with 19 skaters potentially ... what a mess by PD
Playing 19 players for one game and then bringing up an emergency callup player is not optimal and could have been avoided by the GM; however, it can be viewed as a minor issue and temporary measure that will last only as long as the roster player is injured.

Don’t believe I said he was a great scorer. They have a role they want to fill and he is probably the best fit.
I know you did not say that. :)

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Not a great situation, but of all player if it's MacEwen the one who can't play Wednesday making us play short-handed it's not the end of the world. How many minutes do we expect him to play when he's healthy anyway?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Not a great situation, but of all player if it's MacEwen the one who can't play Wednesday making us play short-handed it's not the end of the world. How many minutes do we expect him to play when he's healthy anyway?
11 - 6 ... Won't be the 1st time 11 forwards are used. I personally am not a fan of it

Reactions: Cosmix and DrEasy

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
???

He was 2nd in goals in the SHL last year, 3rd in Liiga the year before. No telling how it translates to NA pro but he has scored goals everywhere he's gone.
That sent me to the SHL stats page, and so indeed there are 4 players tied for second in goals with 23, way behind the leader (Antti Suomela) who had 37.

Now this was interesting: Smejkal also ranked 6th in points (43 points), and was by far the youngest among the the top 6. Right behind him with 42 points, an even younger... Jonathan Dahlen, tied with another Senator draftee, Andre Petersson (now 32 years old!).

Reactions: Xspyrit

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
That sent me to the SHL stats page, and so indeed there are 4 players tied for second in goals with 23, way behind the leader (Antti Suomela) who had 37.

Now this was interesting: Smejkal also ranked 6th in points (43 points), and was by far the youngest among the the top 6. Right behind him with 42 points, an even younger... Jonathan Dahlen, tied with another Senator draftee, Andre Petersson (now 32 years old!).
Anyone know anything about this Dahlen guy? Maybe he could be a player

Reactions: DrEasy

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Anyone know anything about this Dahlen guy? Maybe he could be a player
Would have had a Cup if he had not been traded away…. along with that second rounder that would have been the lynchpin for playoff success

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
I love the optimism surrounding the change, with more to obviously come, but underneath all of that it really feels like expectations for a new arena, and playoff hockey is being tempered by the new owner and POHO.

You know when you buy a house that you think needs just a little bit of cosmetic work, and you're all excited to do the renos, but when you get the keys and take down the first wall, you realize there's mold everywhere? And then when you take a closer look at the foundation, you see a massive crack?

All of a sudden, you have to tell the kids that the pool is no longer in the budget?

I think that's what's happened here.

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Norris is filling in a RW for the morning skate because there is no MacEwen.

There will be no LTIR for Norris by all accounts, otherwise he wouldn't be on the ice.

Any short term injury is going to result in the Sens playing without a full gameday roster.

Reactions: DrEasy

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Norris is filling in a RW for the morning skate because there is no MacEwen.

There will be no LTIR for Norris by all accounts, otherwise he wouldn't be on the ice.

Any short term injury is going to result in the Sens playing without a full gameday roster.
Would play 1 game short, then emergency recall.

Reactions: barriers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad