Training camp 2023-2024

Masterplan

May 9, 2022
I'm starting to think you might not have a clue
Oooh, a tough guy...

If you're gonna be angry at Dorion, be angry that they burned two years of Pinto's ELC playing him in only 17 games. That was dumb and I can get behind. However, in these contract negotiations Dorion set a value he was comfortable with signing a 3rd pairing guy that has scored a total of 21 goals in 99 games (somewhere around where Hoglander signed). He probably expected to pay a bit more, but as much as you pump his tires Pinto hasn't earned a $2.5M contract at this point.

Pinto not accepting the reality of the situation that he has no leverage, is hardly PD's fault. Pinto isn't anything more then a middle six player, useful yes, but he's probably the 12th best player on the team, and that isn't moving the needle significantly more then the next couple of guys on the roster. They aren't about to give up on assets to move a similar player out, just so they can give Pinto more. PD is sticking to his budget and is putting the team first, and Pinto's only options are to suck it up sign and go earn his next contract or go play in Europe.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Oooh, a tough guy...

If you're gonna be angry at Dorion, be angry that they burned two years of Pinto's ELC playing him in only 17 games. That was dumb and I can get behind. However, in these contract negotiations Dorion set a value he was comfortable with signing a 3rd pairing guy that has scored a total of 21 goals in 99 games (somewhere around where Hoglander signed). He probably expected to pay a bit more, but as much as you pump his tires Pinto hasn't earned a $2.5M contract at this point.

Pinto not accepting the reality of the situation that he has no leverage, is hardly PD's fault. Pinto isn't anything more then a middle six player, useful yes, but he's probably the 12th best player on the team, and that isn't moving the needle significantly more then the next couple of guys on the roster. They aren't about to give up on assets to move a similar player out, just so they can give Pinto more. PD is sticking to his budget and is putting the team first, and Pinto's only options are to suck it up sign and go earn his next contract or go play in Europe.
blah blah ... please reread my previous message.. and conclude I will not read your drivel replies

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Oooh, a tough guy...

What do PD's boots taste like?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
The problem is that the salary cap for this season was confirmed to be $83.5M on June 28th. And on July 26th, the Leafs placed Murray on LTIR, confirming that he would not be bought out.

So Pierre Dorion had all of this information. A reasonable man would have said, "Well the cap isn't going up and the Leafs aren't buying out Murray, so let's be prudent with our salary structure because we have to get Pinto signed."

What did he do, instead? On July 27th, he signed Tarasenko for $5M.

Another thing in that regard, he traded Connor Brown for a 2nd last off-season AFTER we learned about the 2018 Team Canada scandal and that both Batherson and Formenton were on that team

Who could have seen it coming?

My dog has more foresight than him.

Dorion over spent .. that cannot be disputed.

To solve this problem Dorion and sign Pinto has to make one or more roster moves

Waiting to sign Pinto at a given number will only increase the cap hit problem

Pinto is a valuable piece of this team going forward and it has been irresponsible of Dorion not to factor in his extension in planning the roster and cap space. There are less valuable pieces on the roster that can be moved to make space for Pinto.

There could be a cost associated to make a trade and that cost is as a result of the overspending and the situation created by Dorion.

Matt Duchene situation, Mark Stone situation, Matt Murray situation, Alex DeBrincat situation, Derek Stepan situation, Brady Tkachuk situation, Shane Pinto situation... where does it stop?

The guy constantly shoots himself in the foot but yet we are ridiculed by some posters by bringing up factual situations.

And to think that I had defended him for the Hoffman debacle, I feel shame lol

Doug : You don't want to trade Mike Hoffman to an Eastern team? Ok I'll give you Mikkel Boedker who is still in his prime and a 6th round pick. Give me Mike and a 5th, ok? (Then he flips him to the Panthers with a 7th for a 2nd, a 4th and a 5th)

Last edited:

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
And Andlauer also said he can't fix it unless he can't hold you accountable. Sounds good to me.

To keep his job, Dorion needed to have a decent summer of work. Fill some holes, clean up his previous DBC mess, sign Sanderson, and Pinto. Got Sanderson signed which was great.

The salary cap conundrum and it's impact on signing Pinto and fielding a full roster with flexibility is inexcusable.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
I'd be pretty f***ing pissed if I just dropped 9 and a half billy on a product and I got rourke f***ing chartier not only on my opening night roster, but in the top f***ing 9 too.

Tick-tock, Pierre.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I'd be pretty f***ing pissed if I just dropped 9 and a half billy on a product and I got rourke f***ing chartier not only on my opening night roster, but in the top f***ing 9 too.

Tick-tock, Pierre.
Should send this to the Sens... They can't afford to be pissing fans off this early in the new regime

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
Maybe 5 games in we somehow have our cake and eat it too, and if we are rolling all is forgiven. Right?

There has to be more to this than we know, right?

I’d normally be pretty pumped this time of year, but I keep coming back here like a wounded animal looking for something positive to develop.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I mean is only game, so I'm not actually that mad. It's still a pretty stupid situation to be in though, all things considered.

Kinda took the wind out of my sails a bit, but that's the life of a sens fan baybee
I thought you were talking season tickets at 9 and 1/2 K ... still bad enough to piss you off I get it.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I have a hard time believing that the owner and POHO are sitting by frustrated but insisting that Dorion clean up his own mess and refuse to be helpful.

Undoubtably Staios is involved in what is going on, has opinions on what to do, and is sharing them because he is the president of hockey operations.

I know it doesn’t fit with the vibe in here, but it’s possible that no one in management wants to pay Pinto near or over 2 million on a one year deal at this point.

It’s not like they couldn’t make more room if they really wanted to, but I suspect that they will play a little hard ball, as they should.

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
What’s the point in having a POHO then. Buck stops at Staios.

What's the point of having a GM then? POHO is supposed to hire the right people and oversee operations.

At this point Staios should be seeing how things run in the Sens hockey ops. Finding what works well, and where he can help improve things.

Hiring a capologist to help avoid these types of issues would be on the list I'm sure. He likely has some ideas and support for Dorion in this situation.

General manager runs the day to day, POHO oversees the big picture. Hopefully he has some tips that can help Dorion out, they are all on the same team with the same overall goals. Ice the best roster possible and support the players, coaches as best they can.

Reactions: DrEasy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad