Training camp 2023-2024

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
You know when you buy a house that you think needs just a little bit of cosmetic work, and you're all excited to do the renos, but when you get the keys and take down the first wall, you realize there's mold everywhere? And then when you take a closer look at the foundation, you see a massive crack?

All of a sudden, you have to tell the kids that the pool is no longer in the budget?

I think that's what's happened here.
You really think MA hasn’t been apprised of everything that has gone on with the franchise before paying a billion dollars for it though? I mean there are a ton of local players involved in the purchase who know a lot more than we do about what has actually gone on, Leeder is a good example, not to mention the existing staff and various investors who knew EM personally?

That story suits your viewpoint certainly, and it’s a decent analogy in general, but I think the more reasonable explanation is that one remains humble until one’s achievements match ones words.

This isn’t MMA or pro wrestling. This team hasn’t earned a thing beyond exhibiting vast potential.

The guys in charge aren’t taking about playoffs, and aren’t acting with swagger and brimming with playoff confidence in public because that behaviour hasn’t been earned.

You temper expectations and remain humble until the team does something worthy of swagger and confidence. The guys have been improving at a good pace, and the confidence is growing in this young team, but to me it’s pretty obvious why no one from the owner to the coaching staff are talking about playoffs, and exhibiting any sort of swagger.

You have to earn that, like Crosby and the Pens clearly have.

But you’re right, it could just be mold. :)

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
You really think MA hasn’t been apprised of everything that has gone on with the franchise before paying a billion dollars for it though? I mean there are a ton of local players involved in the purchase who know a lot more than we do about what has actually gone on, Leeder is a good example, not to mention the existing staff and various investors who knew EM personally?

That story suits your viewpoint certainly, and it’s a decent analogy in general, but I think the more reasonable explanation is that one remains humble until one’s achievements match ones words.

The problems with this organization (hockey ops, coaching) are short-term problems. They wouldn't have ever affected whether Andlauer wanted to purchase the team.

He's in this for the long haul. Pierre Dorion's cap management and DJ Smith's line combos are a blip on his radar.

For Andlauer and Staios, the clock to turn this team into a "best in class" organization and Stanley Cup contender starts now. They don't seem to think there's that good a foundation, though, and they've been up front about how it'll take them some time to fix it.

It just sucks for fans who haven't seen a playoff game in 6 years. But Andlauer hasn't been around for those seasons, so he doesn't share the same level of frustration or urgency.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
It's both awesome, comparatively, that we are at the cap, and hilariously Sens-like that they've completely botched it so badly that they have a 12-6-2 roster with 0 cap space and their young 3rd line C unsigned.

That's extremely, extremally Sens-like, in the opposite direction

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It's both awesome, comparatively, that we are at the cap, and hilariously Sens-like that they've completely botched it so badly that they have a 12-6-2 roster with 0 cap space and their young 3rd line C unsigned.

That's extremely, extremally Sens like
I'm still curious to see how it plays out.

Trade Joseph+ for cap space seems the safest play.

Kubalik would make sense too,

Brannstrom has looked great in preseason, it would be a shame to see him go if he's figured it out.

I really do think Dorion thought one or both of Matt Murray would get bought out or the league would come to an agreement to even out the cap increase between this year and next would happen, the later of which I am still surprised didn't.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I'm still curious to see how it plays out.

Trade Joseph+ for cap space seems the safest play.

Kubalik would make sense too,

Brannstrom has looked great in preseason, it would be a shame to see him go if he's figured it out.

I really do think Dorion thought one or both of Matt Murray would get bought out or the league would come to an agreement to even out the cap increase between this year and next would happen, the later of which I am still surprised didn't.
I mean, he made signings to get us to this point after the Murray and Cap decisions were made

Tarasenko was signed the day after he found out Murray wouldn't be bought out

Reactions: DrEasy

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022

The problem is that the salary cap for this season was confirmed to be $83.5M on June 28th. And on July 26th, the Leafs placed Murray on LTIR, confirming that he would not be bought out.

So Pierre Dorion had all of this information. A reasonable man would have said, "Well the cap isn't going up and the Leafs aren't buying out Murray, so let's be prudent with our salary structure because we have to get Pinto signed."

What did he do, instead? On July 27th, he signed Tarasenko for $5M.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I just hate this double-whammy of Norris being injured AND Pinto being unsigned. I could live with one or the other.
Yeah, right now having either one would be nice, and it seems likely that will be the case pretty soon, as if we weren't going to have Norris soon, he'd be LTIR'D and Pinto could get signed.

On a more positive note, Norris is traveling with the team to Carolina.

Reactions: DrEasy

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Yeah, right now having either one would be nice, and it seems likely that will be the case pretty soon, as if we weren't going to have Norris soon, he'd be LTIR'D and Pinto could get signed.

On a more positive note, Norris is traveling with the team to Carolina.
I think that was always the most likely case, miss 2-4 games to start the season, and then get back in the lineup ASAP.

Reactions: Micklebot

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
lol at people making the case earlier for Dorion that he never had the budget or the financial support to spend to the cap due to previous ownership. Dude couldn't even make it to opening day before making a whole mess of the cap when he was given light to spend to it.

For years I've been making the argument Dorion's inability to spend to the cap due to Melnyk's penny-pinching was a blessing in disguise.

When he's been given the chance to spend money to acquire players it's largely been a disaster.

Like when Murray (a great use of our limited cap space) vetoed the trade to Buffalo that would have seen us drop from pick 7 to pick 16 in the 2022 draft, Tarasenko did this team a massive favour by not taking Dorion up on his 5.5M x 4YR offer earlier this summer.

I expect DeBrincat's unwillingness to sign long-term with this team was another bullet dodged.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
For years I've been making the argument Dorion's inability to spend to the cap due to Melnyk's penny-pinching was a blessing in disguise.

When he's been given the chance to spend money to acquire players it's largely been a disaster.

Like when Murray (a great use of our limited cap space) vetoed the trade to Buffalo that would have seen us drop from pick 7 to pick 16 in the 2022 draft, Tarasenko did this team a massive favour by not taking Dorion up on his 5.5M x 4YR offer earlier this summer.

I expect DeBrincat's unwillingness to sign long-term with this team was another bullet dodged.
Lol at those rumoured trades, where’s the proof. Let’s play a game based on those truths.

Murray goes to Buffalo and we drop from 7 to 16. No retention. We have more cap space today and the 2023 3rd + 2024 7th.

Since we dropped to 16th we would have shipped that off to Chicago instead of 7OA.

So we would currently have more than enough to sign Pinto.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Lol at those rumoured trades, where’s the proof. Let’s play a game based on those truths.

Murray goes to Buffalo and we drop from 7 to 16. No retention. We have more cap space today and the 2023 3rd + 2024 7th.

Since we dropped to 16th we would have shipped that off to Chicago instead of 7OA.

So we would currently have more than enough to sign Pinto.

A team moving up from 16th to 7th on draft day typically costs at least two 2nd round picks, if not more.

Chicago wouldn't just accept the 16th + 39th + future 3rd for DeBrincat, they would have demanded more in compensation had Murray not vetoed that trade.

While we would have been a lot better off had the DeBrincat trade fallen through, we'd definitely have been worse off had Murray not vetoed the deal to Buffalo, in which value-wise we would have paid a significant amount to dump Murray's contract - a lot more than what the Leafs ended up demanding for taking on his contract.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Dorion over spent .. that cannot be disputed.

To solve this problem Dorion and sign Pinto has to make one or more roster moves

Waiting to sign Pinto at a given number will only increase the cap hit problem

Pinto is a valuable piece of this team going forward and it has been irresponsible of Dorion not to factor in his extension in planning the roster and cap space. There are less valuable pieces on the roster that can be moved to make space for Pinto.

There could be a cost associated to make a trade and that cost is as a result of the overspending and the situation created by Dorion.

Masterplan

May 9, 2022
Dorion over spent .. that cannot be disputed.

To solve this problem Dorion and sign Pinto has to make one or more roster moves

Waiting to sign Pinto at a given number will only increase the cap hit problem

Pinto is a valuable piece of this team going forward and it has been irresponsible of Dorion not to factor in his extension in planning the roster and cap space. There are less valuable pieces on the roster that can be moved to make space for Pinto.

There could be a cost associated to make a trade and that cost is as a result of the overspending and the situation created by Dorion.
I'm starting to believe you might be Pinto's agent...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad