Training camp 2023-2024

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
What’s the point in having a POHO then. Buck stops at Staios.

It does. The longer he keeps Pierre Dorion employed, the worse his reputation will get and the more people will criticize him.

He's in a honeymoon period right now, but it'll be short. Listening to some non-Senators hockey podcasts this week, the outside world is befuddled by how Ottawa has mismanaged the cap so badly. "The team hasn't made the playoffs in 6 years. How can't they ice a full roster?" Staios is being lumped into the criticism, so it's best he gets it figured out.

Don't worry, if the team misses the playoffs this season and Pierre is still at the helm making trades and signings while Staios gives non-answers, people will shit on him every day too.

Same goes for Andlauer, btw. Fans were excited the last few weeks, but the team better be winning otherwise he'll be looking at a lot of empty seats come December.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
In the chain of command, the closer you get to the puck on the ice, the faster the feedback and response. A POHO looks at years-long impact. Sure, Dorion has years of performance on which to be assessed already. But at the same time, this cap crunch is recent, and a POHO isn't going to shoot from the hip. IMO, PD has some runway to course-correct.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
It does. The longer he keeps Pierre Dorion employed, the worse his reputation will get and the more people will criticize him.

He's in a honeymoon period right now, but it'll be short. Listening to some non-Senators hockey podcasts this week, the outside world is befuddled by how Ottawa has mismanaged the cap so badly. "The team hasn't made the playoffs in 6 years. How can't they ice a full roster?" Staios is being lumped into the criticism, so it's best he gets it figured out.

Don't worry, if the team misses the playoffs this season and Pierre is still at the helm making trades and signings while Staios gives non-answers, people will shit on him every day too.

Same goes for Andlauer, btw. Fans were excited the last few weeks, but the team better be winning otherwise he'll be looking at a lot of empty seats come December.
The meat of this post is an indictment of the fanbase if it unfolds the way you describe in my opinion.

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
The meat of this post is an indictment of the fanbase if it unfolds the way you describe in my opinion.

Sports fans are sports fans. They want their team to win. They're happy when they do, and mad when they don't. This team hasn't won in a very long time.

This isn't a religion that requires blind faith and doesn't accept criticism.

It's entertainment. Nobody wishes harm on anyone. You can say you dislike the work of a GM in the same way you can say you dislike the movies of a director. You can say a team sucks in the same way you can say a movie sucks.

You have to get off that high horse you always sit on.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
In the chain of command, the closer you get to the puck on the ice, the faster the feedback and response. A POHO looks at years-long impact. Sure, Dorion has years of performance on which to be assessed already. But at the same time, this cap crunch is recent, and a POHO isn't going to shoot from the hip. IMO, PD has some runway to course-correct.
Yup manages every part of the hockey operations, which includes administration, farm teams, scheduling (not games obviously) and everything else that touches hockey.

What he definitely isn’t doing is sitting in his office refusing to collaborate with PD waiting for him to fail. It is in exactly no one’s best interests to see this situation unresolved, or resolved in a manner that doesn’t help the team.

And why would we want management that behaves that way to each other anyways?

Game day! In the end it’s all that matters for this fan :)

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Sports fans are sports fans. They want their team to win. They're happy when they do, and mad when they don't. This team hasn't won in a very long time.

This isn't a religion that requires blind faith and doesn't accept criticism.

It's entertainment. Nobody wishes harm on anyone. You can say you dislike the work of a GM in the same way you can say you dislike the movies of a specific director. You can say a team sucks in the same way you can say a movie sucks.

You have to get off that high horse you always sit on.
Why would I have to do that? What’s the benefit in mucking around in misery and negativity again? I’m a sports fan, this is entertainment as you say.

I think it’s ridiculous that fans would turn on the new owner by December, and start shitting on Staios everyday.

Personally I think it’s shitty human behaviour to begin with, but if people are transitioning directly to that this early, that a ‘you’ problem.

Thankfully the broader fanbase won’t be like that, it will be contained in here and in Twitter where we aren’t likely to miss a beat on the daily complaining and shitting on management.

You just described a seamless transition from PD and EM to MA and SS, classic!

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
Why would I have to do that? What’s the benefit in mucking around in misery and negativity again? I’m a sports fan, this is entertainment as you say.

I think it’s ridiculous that fans would turn on the new owner by December, and start shitting on Staios everyday.

You're a sensitive guy, that's cool. You can do whatever you like.

It's just funny how you say you don't want to muck around in misery and negativity, yet you seem to spend an awful lot of time finger-wagging at everyone.

If you just want to enjoy the team and be positive, do it! No need to try and police everyone else on the internet.

You think Dorion's great at his job. I think he sucks at his job. It is what it is.

The broader fanbase voices their displeasure with their wallet. When the team sucks, as it has for a while now, people don't go to games. This year will be no different – if the team sucks. If they're good? It will be different.

H2O

Sep 18, 2005
So pumped for this season. There’s not a player on the team and their salary cap hit that I’m unhappy about. It’s too bad someone have to be lost to cap casualty but I don’t believe the impact will be that bad. Overall this is still the best team we have iced in many many years.

Reactions: PierresGabriels

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
1. This isn't a religion that requires blind faith and doesn't accept criticism.

It's entertainment. Nobody wishes harm on anyone. You can say you dislike the work of a GM in the same way you can say you dislike the movies of a director. You can say a team sucks in the same way you can say a movie sucks.

2. You have to get off that high horse you always sit on.
1. It is for some people.

2. Oof, oxygen is necessary, so people shouldn't hold their breath.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
What's the point of having a GM then? POHO is supposed to hire the right people and oversee operations.

At this point Staios should be seeing how things run in the Sens hockey ops. Finding what works well, and where he can help improve things.

Hiring a capologist to help avoid these types of issues would be on the list I'm sure. He likely has some ideas and support for Dorion in this situation.

General manager runs the day to day, POHO oversees the big picture. Hopefully he has some tips that can help Dorion out, they are all on the same team with the same overall goals. Ice the best roster possible and support the players, coaches as best they can.
A real POHO would have replaced Dorion already, this is why I’m hammering on Staios.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
You're a sensitive guy, that's cool. You can do whatever you like.

It's just funny how you say you don't want to muck around in misery and negativity, yet you seem to spend an awful lot of time finger-wagging at everyone.

If you just want to enjoy the team and be positive, do it! No need to try and police everyone else on the internet.

You think Dorion's great at his job. I think he sucks at his job. It is what it is.

The broader fanbase voices their displeasure with their wallet. When the team sucks, as it has for a while now, people don't go to games. This year will be no different, if the team sucks.
One man’s finger-wagging is another man’s attempt to spread reason. I think we know where we each stand; you are in the muck, I am on my high horse!

Every time there is push back on opinions in here guys like you push the victim card; help help I’m being policed! Haha, nice try.

As for your fanbase comments, ticket sales have been trending upwards, big time, I certainly hope that this up coming season is no different in that regard.

Twitter and HFSens posters will always be here guarding the walls against people getting too hopeful, too excepted, too positive though, so thanks for that? ;)

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

It's not the POHO's job to beat the bushes for trades to get us out of cap hell. He's there to oversee the GM doing those things, offer support and approve/veto any moves. If he feels Dorion is about to make a move that is destructive to the future of the franchise (eg. trading a 1st to unload Joseph) he'll nix the deal. For all we know he's done that already.

Finding trades is the GM's job and I think we all know that. Staios's job is to assess whether Dorion (among others) in under-performing in this regard, as well as his other GM duties. If Dorion does under-perform and Staios does nothing for multiple seasons, yeah, that buck stops with him.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
He has stated repeatedly, the day to day is still Pierre's domain. This is Dorion's mess to clean up.
Yep. Staois went public with that. It certainly conjures or implies the idea that "Pierre owns this" and thus will be accountable ultimately.

Reactions: Dionysus

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
It's not the POHO's job to beat the bushes for trades to get us out of cap hell. He's there to oversee the GM doing those things, offer support and approve/veto any moves. If he feels Dorion is about to make a move that is destructive to the future of the franchise (eg. trading a 1st to unload Joseph) he'll nix the deal. For all we know he's done that already.

Finding trades is the GM's job and I think we all know that. Staios's job is to assess whether Dorion (among others) in under-performing in this regard, as well as his other GM duties. If Dorion does under-perform and Staios does nothing for multiple seasons, yeah, that buck stops with him.
Staios job is to ensure he has a competent GM.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Staios job is to ensure he has a competent GM.

That was precisely my point and I think he'll get to that. If he doesn't he'll be under the gun from Andlauer, not to mention the fans. As many have pointed out firing the GM on the eve of the regular season was never likely.

I can't imagine the issues we're having right now are showing Dorion in a positive light to his new bosses. I'm confident that he's had his last summer as the GM of the Ottawa Senators.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
That was precisely my point and I think he'll get to that. If he doesn't he'll be under the gun from Andlauer, not to mention the fans. As many have pointed out firing the GM on the eve of the regular season was never likely.

I can't imagine the issues we're having right now are showing Dorion in a positive light to his new bosses. I'm confident that he's had his last summer as the GM of the Ottawa Senators.
Staios may have been hired September 29th but he has known it’s his job since he left Edmonton.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
A real POHO would have replaced Dorion already, this is why I’m hammering on Staios.
Lol , Zero POHO in the league, would have fired the GM during exhibition season , a day after being hired, Are you new.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It could have been a directive from Andlauer too. They're clearly taking a slow and steady approach to the franchise with a lot of what they've communicated.

It seems obvious he'll be replaced within a year, and while many wanted it to happen sooner, it's really the sale process to blame for taking so long that eliminated that possibility.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00