Boston Bruins Training Camp 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Bruins’ Karson Kuhlman will open season as second-line right wing - The Boston Globe

PHILADELPHIA — As he hones his lineup options in advance of the Oct. 3 opener in Dallas, Bruce Cassidy professed his reassurance with Karson Kuhlman as a second-line right wing — at least to start.

“I don’t think he’s going to drop off. He may [plateau], we don’t know, but I don’t think he’s going to get worse,” Cassidy said of the 23-year-old rookie, who settled in during his 19-game run last spring with left wing Jake DeBrusk and center David Krejci.

“To me, he’s too good a person — his short career dictates, from college to Providence to here, he’ll keep working on his craft, get more comfortable.”

At some point in the season, Cassidy said he would try Coyle, whose size (6 feet 3 inches, 220 pounds) and skating is similar to the wingers Krejci has had in the past. But that’s “more for down the road, playoff hockey,” in Cassidy’s words.

“I think we know we can start on opening night and Kuhly would be there and we’d be fine,” he said. “We’ll look to see if there’s a better fit.”
I'm sure Karson Kuhlman is a good guy who is kind to animals and whose mother loves him, but what, exactly, does he bring to the table on a line with Krejci and Debrusk?

This is 3rd line center Kuraly all over again.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I'm sure Karson Kuhlman is a good guy who is kind to animals and whose mother loves him, but what, exactly, does he bring to the table on a line with Krejci and Debrusk?

My guess is that they will solve the 2RW issue at the trade deadline after they kow what they have and where they are going. So, for now, Kuhlman is in.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
I think we all can agree Cehlarik is toast here
And Senyshyn being injured killed any opportunity he might have had
So its 7 players for 5 roster spots,Backes, Gaunce,Ritchie, Lindholm, Wagner, Kuraly and Nordstrom
When the music stops 2 will not have chairs

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
that's the point, you're a top 15 pick, play yourself onto a roster spot.

Even if Zboril were to play lights out in the pre-season, do you seriously think that he'd supplant any of Chara, Grzelcyk or Krug? I guess that he could become the 8th D (after Kampfer), but is that better than playing regularly in Providence?

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Sheesh, so much for competition...Means all the spots are secured other than the 13th and 14th F
To me it means they don't have a better option than Kulhman for now. Same as last year playoffs.
Unless someone impresses in the near future, they'll get a top 6RW from trades or at deadline.

Reactions: sarge88

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
I think we all can agree Cehlarik is toast here
And Senyshyn being injured killed any opportunity he might have had
So its 7 players for 5 roster spots,Backes, Gaunce,Ritchie, Lindholm, Wagner, Kuraly and Nordstrom
When the music stops 2 will not have chairs

I'd say that, even if Senyshyn weren't injured, Cassidy had Kuhlman already pencilled in as the #2 RW.

As for the bottom of the lineup, it appears that the fourth line will be the same as last year, while the two spare tires will be chosen from Ritchie, Gaunce, Backes and Lindholm.

Reactions: Spooner st

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I'd say that, even if Senyshyn weren't injured, Cassidy had Kuhlman already pencilled in as the #2 RW.

As for the bottom of the lineup, it appears that the fourth line will be the same as last year, while the two spare tires will be chosen from Ritchie, Gaunce, Backes and Lindholm.
I think they know by now what they have in Senyshyn.
Unless he decides to bring it to the next level, they gave him the tools and the time needed to put it together.
It's up to him to make it happen.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I still don't understand why they can't put a package together to get a legit --- 25 goal RW for Krejci.

They have the pieces to do it....even if they overpay a bit.

They have at least 8 legit NHL defensemen ( I know KM and JM are injured, but they'll be back at some point) and what seems like 124 bottom 6 forwards, and of course picks.

Why not move a d-man, an NHL forward and a 2nd for a guy who can make line 2 legitimate?

Overall, I like what Sweeney has done here. My one issue is his unwillingness to make a move like this.

Maybe I'll end up being wrong about this but I have no faith that Kuhlman is good enough or Bjork is durable enough to make a difference.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I wonder if adding Senyshen, Zboril, Cehlarik and maybe Vladar is enough for a team to take on Backes? I really want him gone, if we can't trade him without giving up top picks/prospects, then send him to the AHL, at least it clears about $1M or so from the cap.

Reactions: Tbaybruin

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Even if Zboril were to play lights out in the pre-season, do you seriously think that he'd supplant any of Chara, Grzelcyk or Krug? I guess that he could become the 8th D (after Kampfer), but is that better than playing regularly in Providence?

ummm, did you seriously just list Grzelcyk in that......?

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
I still don't understand why they can't put a package together to get a legit --- 25 goal RW for Krejci.

They have the pieces to do it....even if they overpay a bit.

They have at least 8 legit NHL defensemen ( I know KM and JM are injured, but they'll be back at some point) and what seems like 124 bottom 6 forwards, and of course picks.

Why not move a d-man, an NHL forward and a 2nd for a guy who can make line 2 legitimate?

Overall, I like what Sweeney has done here. My one issue is his unwillingness to make a move like this.

Maybe I'll end up being wrong about this but I have no faith that Kuhlman is good enough or Bjork is durable enough to make a difference.

An injury to either Bergeron or Krejci and this is a one line team all over again.
I am not convinced that either Bjork or Kuhlman is the answer for the top 6 spot yet.

Reactions: Strafer and sarge88

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
He listed the three left side defenseman he would have to be better than to take a spot lmao

why wouldn’t he list him there?

Probably has to do with the fact that Grzelcyk is small and not overly physical (something bb_fan drools over) and doesn't bring an elite offensive game like Krug. So he's still the defenseman that is removed if he gets "outperformed".

Reactions: Estlin

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Based on the lines in camp so far

Seems the opening night lineup will be

Marchand Bergeron Pastrnak
DeBrusk Krejci Kuhlman
Bjork Coyle Heinen
Nordstrom Kuraly Wagner
I think you are right, but I am intrigued by the idea of flipping Coyle and Krejci in that lineup. I don't care which is considered 2nd or 3rd line, but I feel Debrusk and Kuhlman's North South style better fit Coyle. The skill Heinen and Bjork have shown seem to be a better fit with a Krejci.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

Speed and a quick release. He’s also a surprisingly chippy player for his size and decent at forechecking and back checking. In 11 games with debrusk and krejci he had 3 goals and 2 assists in 11 games.

Reactions: Strafer

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I'm of the opinion that you need to keep trying.
Even if an experiment hasn't work a few times before.
Doesn't mean you can't try it again in a different setting and/or in a different combination.
After all, we have nothing to lose.

Reactions: Strafer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad