Boston Bruins Training Camp 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I just don't see how Backes outplays, or brings more to the table, than any of Senyshyn or Bjork–or Kuhlman, for that matter. Those three are my picks to make the team (Bjork as #1 or #2 RW, Senyshyn as #3 RW and Kuhlman as the #4 RW/13th forward).
You may very well be right I wouldn’t take that bet

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
I have a legitimate question for the people who keep putting Backes in lineups.

Do you actually believe he is better than bjork/kuhlman at this point I’m his career or are just just hoping he turns back the clock?
He'll be an extra, seriously doubt they demote him
Would I like his cap hit gone?,of course but I'm being realistic

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
He'll be an extra, seriously doubt they demote him
Would I like his cap hit gone?,of course but I'm being realistic

I doubt he is demoted as well. Im not even talking in reference to his cap hit right now though. I just legitimately don’t think he’s better than bjork or kuhlman at this point and will be battling with Ritchie/Lindholm for the 13th/14th roster spot.

Reactions: Mission ImPastable

MetM

Nov 29, 2009
Good post.
However I feel pretty sure Backes will be on the roster opening night. I guess they will only keep one extra forward and one extra defenseman. The Bruins may also go easy on some of key veterans (Bergeron, Krejci, Chara etc). Even though it's early my guess is they will send Bjork down at least and maybe Kuhlman too. Not because the other's (Backes, Ritchie, Lindholm, Nordström, Wagner) are better but just because they don't have too clear waivers. Also want to see more of the new UFA signings I think.

On the other hand who would get claimed if left to clear waivers? No one I think. Agree on Lindholm, he should be better than last year.
That of course leaves the second right wing spot open once again. I think it's between a rejuvenated (?) Backes and Kuhlman. Outside of Bjork noone really has the talent and skill to play on the second line unless you move Heinen up or put Coyle with Krejci and DeBrusk.
If the Bruins somehow could find a good third line center (Frederic, Studnicka but it seems too early or via trade, waivers) I would love Coyle on the second line. But for now I think Backes will get first crack at 2nd right wing.
This leaves:
Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak, DeBrusk-Krejci-Backes, Heinen-Coyle-Lindholm, Nordström-Kuraly-Wagner. Ritchie as 13th forward

The reviews on Lauzon, Vaaakanainen, Clifton so far have been nice to read. Clifton, of course, is the favorite for the 6th defense (good playoff and he's a right shooting d). But I wonder how close it really will be on opening night with Lauzon and Vaakanainen. Closer than you think perhaps.
On defense:
Chara-McAvoy, Krug-Carlo, Grzelzyk-Clifton. Kampfer 7th D.

In goal:
Rask-Halak

Lauzon is "my Cehlárik", I really liked what I saw last year. I feel he's ready and should be there but the B's are so deep it's crazy

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Lauzon is "my Cehlárik", I really liked what I saw last year. I feel he's ready and should be there but the B's are so deep it's crazy

I'm not sure about that comparison. I see Lauzon as a legit NHLer who would be in the bottom pairing of any NHL team that did not have a stacked D like Boston. Cehlarik I am not convinced is an NHLer. Hopefully he has impressed enough people in the NHL that someone takes a flyer on him, because I dont think he will get a spot in Boston.

PepeBostones

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2002
Neither, but, I still suspect he will be on the opening night roster unless he performs very poorly in the exhibition games.
It's not really who I think is better just what I see probably happen. Personally I really want few prospects come in and show they can play in the NHL. Really.
Hopefully the kids give them no choice.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Anyone know why Oskar stern isn’t playing tonight?
They always rotate who plays in the preseason. He'll probably play Saturday and if he survives the cut, he'll play Monday.

He's not going to make the team out of camp. He needs to adjust to North America and get a little seasoning.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
With Backes, unless he's BY FAR the best player, I would send him down to Providence. No one's going to claim him, and he doesn't have a future on this team, so give a chance to a kid who might, especially the ones you might lose on waivers. Best case scenario, he decides he doesn't want to ride the bus for the rest of the year and retires.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
His days are numbered. Performing below draft class, now he’s injured?(unless I read that wrong in here) that usually doesn’t end well for young players.

Reminds me of Maxime Sauve

I still think with the more simplistic nature of the wing position, that Senyshyn could end up an NHL player, although maybe a borderline one, with his feet and size.

If anyone is almost done it's Zboril. The Czech version of Jeff Jillson, he just doesn't have the tool-box between the ears to play D at the NHL level consistently enough despite some great athletic gifts.

Either way, here we are going into post-draft season number 5 if you can believe it for both players. If they don't make the team out of camp (my guess here is they won't), they need to at least be in the conversation up until the final cuts. If not, that's pretty concerning when you think that it's over 4 years now since these guys were picked middle of the 1st round and both guys are heading into the final years of their ELCs after spending two full seasons in junior post-draft.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
With Backes, unless he's BY FAR the best player, I would send him down to Providence. No one's going to claim him, and he doesn't have a future on this team, so give a chance to a kid who might, especially the ones you might lose on waivers. Best case scenario, he decides he doesn't want to ride the bus for the rest of the year and retires.

I agree but fear that it's not going to come down to merit/who's best, and that Backes will be in Boston.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Hopefully the kids force management hands and the obvious selection pushes Backes out. Even then, Backes will probably be the 13th player.
Until the inevitable injuries happen. Maybe then... if the stars aligned Backes could be sent down to make room for a more speedy alternative.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I agree but fear that it's not going to come down to merit/who's best, and that Backes will be in Boston.

I think in management/the coaches' minds, they feel that they need to treat him "right", so they'll keep him on the team even if it's as the 13th forward. I'm not going to say veteran leadership isn't important, but I imagine that's the excuse they'll tell themselves when he makes the team.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
I still think with the more simplistic nature of the wing position, that Senyshyn could end up an NHL player, although maybe a borderline one, with his feet and size.

If anyone is almost done it's Zboril. The Czech version of Jeff Jillson, he just doesn't have the tool-box between the ears to play D at the NHL level consistently enough despite some great athletic gifts.

Either way, here we are going into post-draft season number 5 if you can believe it for both players. If they don't make the team out of camp (my guess here is they won't), they need to at least be in the conversation up until the final cuts. If not, that's pretty concerning when you think that it's over 4 years now since these guys were picked middle of the 1st round and both guys are heading into the final years of their ELCs after spending two full seasons in junior post-draft.

Welcome back to the boards (and to your new post as the Chair of the Lindholm Fan Club :laugh:). With regard to Zboril, there's also the fact that there's just no room for him in Boston at the moment. Senyshyn, on the other hand, could fit into the lineup as the #3 RW and, I think, do well playing with Heinen and Coyle.

Reactions: BruinDust

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007

Everytime I read posts like these I get a little uncomfortable.
Not because it's a negative post... it's the reality of the situation that makes it uncomfortable.
Both have the same problem...no tool-box between the ears.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers

I think he can be an nhl player, whether or not that’s with Boston is my concern

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Welcome back to the boards (and to your new post as the Chair of the Lindholm Fan Club :laugh:). With regard to Zboril, there's also the fact that there's just no room for him in Boston at the moment. Senyshyn, on the other hand, could fit into the lineup as the #3 RW and, I think, do well playing with Heinen and Coyle.

I'd like to see Senyshyn once with Debrusk-Krejci. Just use his speed and drive to the net and let the other two find him.

BruinsNetwork

I'd like to see Senyshyn once with Debrusk-Krejci. Just use his speed and drive to the net and let the other two find him.

Would be pretty disappointed to see him left off the opening-night roster in Boston, barring any injuries, because of someone like Ritchie, Lindholm, Wagner or other bottom-six guys. Think Senyshyn looked good in his two NHL games at the end of last year and saw a couple nice plays/attempts against Jersey this week in preseason.

Senyshyn, like you said, has the feet/physical traits alone to be a useful player in the NHL, so I think he could easily hang on a third-line right now and play well. Interesting theory about putting him at 2RW though, and something I've touched upon a while ago.

Senyshyn is great at keeping his feet moving and finding empty spaces in the attacking zone, especially while his team is cycling the puck around. Pairing him with a world-class playmaker like Krejci might be exactly what both of those players need. He seems like he could be a complimentary player to just about any line if need be. DeBrusk and Krejci could very well prove to be a great setup for Senyshyn.

On the other hand, I just don't see Cassidy rolling Senyshyn in the top-six, unfortunately, but I think he might just give him the looks at 3RW. Playing something like Heinen/Bjork/Cehlarik-Coyle-Senyshyn seems realistic and I think all those players can work together quite well. I think it's time to let Senyshyn develop in the NHL because he's ready for it, IMO.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Would be pretty disappointed to see him left off the opening-night roster in Boston, barring any injuries, because of someone like Ritchie, Lindholm, Wagner or other bottom-six guys. Think Senyshyn looked good in his two NHL games at the end of last year and saw a couple nice plays/attempts against Jersey this week in preseason.

Senyshyn, like you said, has the feet/physical traits alone to be a useful player in the NHL, so I think he could easily hang on a third-line right now and play well. Interesting theory about putting him at 2RW though, and something I've touched upon a while ago.

Senyshyn is great at keeping his feet moving and finding empty spaces in the attacking zone, especially while his team is cycling the puck around. Pairing him with a world-class playmaker like Krejci might be exactly what both of those players need. He seems like he could be a complimentary player to just about any line if need be. DeBrusk and Krejci could very well prove to be a great setup for Senyshyn.

On the other hand, I just don't see Cassidy rolling Senyshyn in the top-six, unfortunately, but I think he might just give him the looks at 3RW. Playing something like Heinen/Bjork/Cehlarik-Coyle-Senyshyn seems realistic and I think all those players can work together quite well. I think it's time to let Senyshyn develop in the NHL because he's ready for it, IMO.

I don't see him doing it either. Which seems strange to me, as the Krejci line in the playoffs seemed to be the one he relied upon the least defensively, hence why he would use Backes on RW there but not use Backes on any other line. Lines 1, then 4, then 3 got more defensive assignments to my eyes (I haven't looked at the analytics and wouldn't understand them anyways). 2nd line RW would seem to be a good spot for Senyshyn. Give him a simple complimentary role on that line between two pretty darn skilled players. I also like that Senyshyn can keep up off the rush with Debrusk, which is on reason why I think Kuhlman also looked good as Debrusk's opposite winger.

Reactions: PepeBostones
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->