Trades and Free Agent Talk -- The calm before the storm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Subban is not an option for the Leafs. He is the last type of player the Leafs need right now.

If there is a deal to be had with NJ it is for Vatanen and Simmonds. Exactly the type of players that the Leafs needs. An upgrade on Ceci and some needed toughness, size and speed on the wing. With both being UFAs at years end it should be doable at a lower price.

Johnsson, Ceci, Bracco and mid round pick

FOR

Vatanen and Simmonds

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Subban is not an option for the Leafs. He is the last type of player the Leafs need right now.

If there is a deal to be had with NJ it is for Vatanen and Simmonds. Exactly the type of players that the Leafs needs. An upgrade on Ceci and some needed toughness, size and speed on the wing. With both being UFAs at years end it should be doable at a lower price.

Johnsson, Ceci, Bracco and mid round pick

FOR

Vatanen and Simmonds

McKenzie: Leafs are looking for a right-side defenceman with term

Devils with term ...

Johnsson (NHLer), Ceci (dump), Bracco (prospect) and a 2nd. round pick (prospect)
for
Severson

Compared to:

Grundstrom (prospect), Durzi (prospect) and a first-round pick (22nd. overall - prospect) in the 2019 NHL Draft
for
Muzzin

Not sure I see a good fit between the two clubs, if Dubas is looking for a player with term before he dispatches NHL players with term.

Reactions: Magic Man

Coatsy79

May 14, 2011
Uk
We have to be pretty careful about Josh Manson. The guy is putting up Erik Gudbranson numbers, is a year older and makes more money. That’s waiver wire quality right there and people are jumping to give up Kapanen.

The Dumba proposal also looks extremely expensive and Hamonic sounds like he’s been awful this year.

This , why are so many people trying to give kappy away for him, it's baffling

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I just don’t wanna see picks shipped out at this point, if it’s avoidable, and it looks like it could be.

I’d actually look to add more, with the excesses (Ceci, Tima, Harpur maybe), and pray for good health the rest of the way.

Reactions: ITM

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I just don’t wanna see picks shipped out at this point, if it’s avoidable, and it looks like it could be.

I’d actually look to add more, with the excesses (Ceci, Tima, Harpur maybe), and pray for good health the rest of the way.

Timashov is more of an offseason move with Mikheyev out the rest of the regular season.

Harpur should return some Marlies help, assuming Gravel or Sandin back. Otherwise, the Marlies will need him.

Ceci can return something nice and then we can use Liljegren or look for an external option. Leafs can use Bracco to get a backup with term.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Timashov is more of an offseason move with Mikheyev out the rest of the regular season.

Harpur should return some Marlies help, assuming Gravel or Sandin back. Otherwise, the Marlies will need him.

Ceci can return something nice and then we can use Liljegren or look for an external option. Leafs can use Bracco to get a backup with term.
Tima: maybe, sure. There’s still Agostino around, Moore’s getting healthy. Either way doesn’t shift the needle to me, depending on the return.
Harpur: that’d be fine, he might be able to gather a late pick too given his age and size, this year or next. The more bullets the better IMO.
Ceci: agreed, let Lili play and get whatcha can. People in here sleep on him, he’ll have value. Can even retain abit if need be.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I wrote this in the Liljegren thread thinking it was the trade thread (I need coffee).

I think the Leafs would love to be able to trade for Calle Rosen back in some way. He's been in the AHL for awhile. He only played 8 NHL games for the Avs this season and doesn't appear to be doing overly well there overall.

I wonder if a Ceci for Rosen trade as a basis could work? Seems like Ceci could be good RHD bottom pairing insurance/depth for them I think going into the playoffs and they have a ton of cap space to work with.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017

Bracco being used on a backup with term is a waste of assets. Bracco should be included in a deal to acquire something to better our lineup outside of 15-20 games a season. Package him with Ceci and current winger (Johnsson) to acquire a solid piece on D. You can probably trade him to SJ with another smaller piece for someone like Dillon. Forget the backup at this stage of the season. Not needed considering Andersen will be playing 95% of the games moving forward to get us into the playoffs.

Stick with what you have in goal and hope for the best.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I wrote this in the Liljegren thread thinking it was the trade thread (I need coffee).

I think the Leafs would love to be able to trade for Calle Rosen back in some way. He's been in the AHL for awhile. He only played 8 NHL games for the Avs this season and doesn't appear to be doing overly well there overall.

I wonder if a Ceci for Rosen trade as a basis could work? Seems like Ceci could be good RHD bottom pairing insurance/depth for them I think going into the playoffs and they have a ton of cap space to work with. They don't have a 2nd round pick and not exactly flush with prospects either, so perhaps this works for them as opposed to chasing someone with more value.

Hard pass.

Ceci is traded only as part of a package to get something better on the back end. Or else stay the course and keep him in your top 6.

Reactions: biotk

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I see lots of trade thoughts here and on the trade board offering Kapanen/Johnsson, as in one or the other.

Is the thinking that these two are equal?
I think Kapanen, while a little dumb, has far greater value than Johnsson.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Hard pass.

Ceci is traded only as part of a package to get something better on the back end. Or else stay the course and keep him in your top 6.

The idea with trading Ceci is to eventually find a replacement that isn't bad for the same amount of money... I thought that was obvious.

Reactions: stickty111

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
According to Lebrun. We are on Brodie’s NTC. List.

How could the trade have went through? Kinda odd how it’s a kadri refused thing

Reactions: aingefan

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I see lots of trade thoughts here and on the trade board offering Kapanen/Johnsson, as in one or the other.

Is the thinking that these two are equal?
I think Kapanen, while a little dumb, has far greater value than Johnsson.

I would agree that Kapanen is more valuable in a sense anyway. I think he's more interesting around the league, yet given our lack of LW depth Johnsson could be organizationally more valuable to us, even if I think Kap is a better player...

Reactions: Menzinger

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
They have Cole and Zadorov on their third pair right now don't they? I can't see them taking Ceci unless they flip a LD first. He could be their 7th I guess but they likely go for something like Pageau+Kreider or something with their space.

I moved my comment in this thread so I will reply here.

They have 31M of dead line cap space per CapFriendly. You can fit a lot, and I mean a lot, of dead line players. Pageau + Kreider + Ceci fits just fine without even trading back a penny from their roster.

They only have 2 RHD NHL defenders at this time. Ceci could be useful for depth and give them a cheap to acquire veteran. But I get what you're saying.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
According to Lebrun. We are on Brodie’s NTC. List.

How could the trade have went through? Kinda odd how it’s a kadri refused thing

He likely revised his NT list after he found out he was nearly dealt here.

Reactions: biotk

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
McKenzie: Leafs are looking for a right-side defenceman with term

Devils with term ...

Johnsson (NHLer), Ceci (dump), Bracco (prospect) and a 2nd. round pick (prospect)
for
Severson

Compared to:

Grundstrom (prospect), Durzi (prospect) and a first-round pick (22nd. overall - prospect) in the 2019 NHL Draft
for
Muzzin

Not sure I see a good fit between the two clubs, if Dubas is looking for a player with term before he dispatches NHL players with term.
I feel like ‘term’ most likely means plus one year, unless the player is a ‘knock your socks off’ type.
1. Cost
2. Expansion draft implications.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008

They have 31M of dead line cap space per CapFriendly. You can fit a lot, and I mean a lot, of dead line players. Pageau + Kreider + Ceci fits just fine without even trading back a penny from their roster.

They only have 2 RHD NHL defenders at this time. Ceci could be useful for depth and give them a cheap to acquire veteran. But I get what you're saying.

$31mil?!
Is that right?
Great landing spot for Cody. Good eyes. Free Lili.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I feel like ‘term’ most likely means plus one year, unless the player is a ‘knock your socks off’ type.
1. Cost
2. Expansion draft implications.

Leafs have to expose players to the expansion draft, so yes expansion draft is a consideration.

Rielly, Dermott, someone protected.

Liljegren and Sandin exempt.

Holl and someone exposed.

If you're giving up a good prospect, a pick and a NHL forward with term, you aren't looking for a rental.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Leafs have to expose players to the expansion draft, so yes expansion draft is a consideration.

Rielly, Dermott, someone protected.

Liljegren and Sandin exempt.

Holl and someone exposed.

If you're giving up a good prospect, a pick and a NHL forward with term, you aren't looking for a rental.
If that’s the package, agreed.
I just suspect targeting a one-plus guy is the best combo of immediate needs and cost efficiency. Neat and tidy.
Larsson, Vatanen maybe. Both could be good fits, manageable cost (relatively speaking), and insulate the younger guys.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
If Soup was healthy, you could honestly make a play for obth Dumba and Manson.
We can probably do that regardless of Soup's health. Kap can be the main piece in the Manson trade, and Barrie can be the main piece in the Dumba trade. I think Barrie's been better than Dumba this year.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
We can probably do that regardless of Soup's health. Kap can be the main piece in the Manson trade, and Barrie can be the main piece in the Dumba trade. I think Barrie's been better than Dumba this year.

Wild won't care about a UFA that won't sign there.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Bracco being used on a backup with term is a waste of assets. Bracco should be included in a deal to acquire something to better our lineup outside of 15-20 games a season. Package him with Ceci and current winger (Johnsson) to acquire a solid piece on D. You can probably trade him to SJ with another smaller piece for someone like Dillon. Forget the backup at this stage of the season. Not needed considering Andersen will be playing 95% of the games moving forward to get us into the playoffs.

Stick with what you have in goal and hope for the best.

So we shouldn't use him to get a backup because he won't play more than 15-20 games, yet it is a good idea to give him up for a rental who won't play much more than that, assuming we even make a lengthy run in the playoffs?

A proper backup can play more than 15-20 games too BTW.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Should they become buyers, what assests can we assume are in play at this deadline?

Johnsson
Ceci
Bracco
any and all draft picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad