Trades and Free Agent Talk -- The calm before the storm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
When Reilly is back

Muzzin - Holl (shutdown pair)
Reilly - Barrie
Sandin -Dermott

Marincin (press box filler) Lillgren (1st call up).

Which of those starting 6 D do the Leafs need to upgrade on? Do you move Barrie and get a more defensive guy to play with Reilly but that would hurt your #1 PP unit who have been so much better with Barrie on it. Do you move Dermott if you sign Muzzin for an equal RHD for next year?

I can see Dubas clearing cap space with AJ (who is replaceable with Moore, Soupman) and Ceci. You can then move Kerfoot up to play LW with Tavares and move Engvall back to the wing. You can then bring in a gritty 3C who can PK and bring some physicality to the lineup like an ummmm Kadri lol.

Yes the MSM keeps harping about the Leafs D but I think lots of their problems starts with the Leafs forwards who dangle the puck to much in wrong areas and cause turnovers or forget their man in the D zone and creates high danger chances

If you bring in a guy like Manson (or Larsson) then you run:

Rielly - Manson
Muzzin - Holl
Dermott - Barrie

Sandin and Marincin the pressbox.

Any potential contender should have a good #7 who can step in for injuries or just keep the pressure on some of their guys to know that if they don't perform they can be replaced in the lineup.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Agree with your concept, but don't see many trade proposals here involving Liljegren, or not that many with a 2nd even. AJ and Ceci are standard offerings that are frequently mentioned of course.

Very true. 99% of trade proposals are pure fantasy. If Dubas does manage to get a trade done for a RHD with term to play with Rielly, most on here are going to feel that Dubas was robbed and that they could have got it done for Bracco, and 7th and signed hockey stick.

Reactions: ToneDog

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
In odd twist of irony, Hainsey might be available again. He's a UFA, so Ottawa would probably listen it would seem. Expecting incoming artillery here LOL.

If the core is Nylander, Marner, Matthew's, Tavares, Rielly, Andersen and Sandin you've still got some pretty attractive pieces to dangle for a trade

Kapanen, Johnsson, Liljeren. Robertson, Mikheyev, Dermott just off the top of my head, say what you want but there's some guys in there I'd have a lot of interest in if I was another organization

He would easily be welcomed back here.

I think a guy that has a complimentary style to play with Reilly is more easily achieved and feasible if we are not willing to offer more coveted pieces (e.g., Kap, Liljegren, Robertson).

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I'd like to see us grab a top 4 defenseman who can fit within the group and cap structure for a few years, so I like a lot of what I'm hearing out there, even if it's somewhat speculative. Manson absolutely seems like a guy to target IF anaheim is open to moving him.

But, I'd also like to see us get a depth defender. Someone on the cheap just to help make sure we have enough guys should we lose bodies. A depth defender who can bring an element that Sandin, Liljegren don't. Can never have too much depth.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I don't see why not. He hasn't been shy about moving picks in the past.

Because he had already moved those picks. And really, he has been pretty selective about when to trade picks. Used one to dump Marleau (which was not his choice), one to get Muzzin, and then used one in the Kadri deal which he immediately replaced in the Zaitsev deal.

Besides, there are not a ton of players really worth moving quality picks to acquire anyways.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I'd like to see us grab a top 4 defenseman who can fit within the group and cap structure for a few years, so I like a lot of what I'm hearing out there, even if it's somewhat speculative. Manson absolutely seems like a guy to target IF anaheim is open to moving him.

But, I'd also like to see us get a depth defender. Someone on the cheap just to help make sure we have enough guys should we lose bodies. A depth defender who can bring an element that Sandin, Liljegren don't. Can never have too much depth.

We have bodies. Marincin, Sandin and Liljegren is enough depth.

What we need is a couple of quality Marlies forwards, and then swap some of the depth AHL forwards for depth AHL defensemen.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Because he had already moved those picks. And really, he has been pretty selective about when to trade picks. Used one to dump Marleau (which was not his choice), one to get Muzzin, and then used one in the Kadri deal which he immediately replaced in the Zaitsev deal.

Besides, there are not a ton of players really worth moving quality picks to acquire anyways.
Yes, that's what I said, he's not shy about moving picks.
Agreed, he could very well receive some back as well.

** as the GM, everything is his choice.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
We have bodies. Marincin, Sandin and Liljegren is enough depth.

What we need is a couple of quality Marlies forwards, and then swap some of the depth AHL forwards for depth AHL defensemen.

I don't entirely agree or disagree. I like some of the depth we do have, but I just think we could use more depth defenders with experience and who are particularly adept at breaking the cycle. As much as I am a fan of each player and have high hopes for them, at this moment in time, Sandin and Liljegren aren't that presence.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I think a guy that has a complimentary style to play with Reilly is more easily achieved and feasible if we are not willing to offer more coveted pieces (e.g., Kap, Liljegren, Robertson).

I wouldn't have a problem with the Leafs reacquiring Hainsey. It doesn't match what Dubas has said he is looking for, though, not multi-year and Hainsey is getting old.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I wouldn't have a problem with the Leafs reacquiring Hainsey. It doesn't match what Dubas has said he is looking for, though, not multi-year and Hainsey is getting old.

If Sens would retain some salary to get it done and the cost was reasonable, I'd acquire Hainsey to play a depth role in a playoff run, in addition to acquiring someone to stabilize the top pairing right side. Would be a pure rental.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

McKenzie: The priority for the Leafs is a long-term objective rather than a short-term mean

If you get a long term asset, you can give up long term assets, whether that is a high pick or someone outside the core.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

Agreed. There's a dichotomy here. We can look for either:
  1. A legit, good (top 4) defender that is so because he has all of the necessary skills to be one of those. This kind of defender would carry the pairing he's on regardless of his mate; OR,
  2. A defender that has the complimentary skills to pair with a guy like Reilly.
#2 is a lot easier to do, and won't cost the higher value assets that we want to keep. The challenge or problem I see is thinking that we can do #1 with a package of lesser, middling assets. jmho.

Last edited:

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
I wouldn't be surprised to see Kapanen and Dermott packaged for a legit top 4 rhd with term. If Hamilton wasn't hurt, I wonder if that could've been enough to pry Pesce away

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
If Sens would retain some salary to get it done and the cost was reasonable, I'd acquire Hainsey to play a depth role in a playoff run, in addition to acquiring someone to stabilize the top pairing right side. Would be a pure rental.

Why do we need Hainsey just for him to sit in the press box... It's a waste of cap and a waste of assets (if we want to entice Ottawa to let him go over allowing him to mentor their younger players).

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I wouldn't be surprised to see Kapanen and Dermott packaged for a legit top 4 rhd with term. If Hamilton wasn't hurt, I wonder if that could've been enough to pry Pesce away

Perhaps, but did Dubas not think of this last year when the trade talks involving Pesce and Toronto were swirling around? I sure hope he did.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I think a swap for Johnsson or Kerfoot for Hanifin/ Larsson makes good sense. Both of those guys are respectable middle/ lower pairing guys who can provide some defensive stability. Hopefully we can move on from Barrie. Honestly don't mind Ceci too much. He's not the greatest of defenders but if we can keep him on the 3rd pair we can get someone that can still eat PK minutes.

Rielly - Muzzin
Dermott - Holl
Hanifin - Ceci/Sandin

Next year:

Rielly - Dermott
Sandin - Holl
Hanifin - Lilly

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Finding somebody on the Right that plays a complimentary style to Rielly that can eat tougher minutes on a top pair is going to take some doing

It doesn't sound like Kapanen, Robertson, Liljeren or Dermott are viewed as "core" pieces which does open up trade possibilities but if you go that route you better win now because were giving up a lot of our future

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Finding somebody on the Right that plays a complimentary style to Rielly that can eat tougher minutes on a top pair is going to take some doing

It doesn't sound like Kapanen, Robertson, Liljeren or Dermott are viewed as "core" pieces which does open up trade possibilities but if you go that route you better win now because were giving up a lot of our future

Yes, the defender market is always tough (a little easier in the summer). And yes, usually you have give up something to get something of course.

But, it does open the soon-to-be UFA defender market which widens the bottleneck.

No idea if this is a goal or route that Dubas would take. It would cost a lot less though. It might depend on how much pressure Dubas feels there is to produce results this season.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think a swap for Johnsson or Kerfoot for Hanifin/ Larsson makes good sense. Both of those guys are respectable middle/ lower pairing guys who can provide some defensive stability. Hopefully we can move on from Barrie. Honestly don't mind Ceci too much. He's not the greatest of defenders but if we can keep him on the 3rd pair we can get someone that can still eat PK minutes.

Rielly - Muzzin
Dermott - Holl
Hanifin - Ceci/Sandin

Next year:

Rielly - Dermott
Sandin - Holl
Hanifin - Lilly
I don't think either player gets you a sniff at those guys.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If the core is Nylander, Marner, Matthew's, Tavares, Rielly, Andersen and Sandin you've still got some pretty attractive pieces to dangle for a trade

Kapanen, Johnsson, Liljeren. Robertson, Mikheyev, Dermott just off the top of my head, say what you want but there's some guys in there I'd have a lot of interest in if I was another organization

No doubt there is quality there. It just isn't getting you a true #1 RHD to play with Rielly. You just have to set the bar lower. No idea where the bar is for Dubas but Bobby Mac did say that they were looking for a long term RHD which I take as a Dumba or higher.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Yes, the defender market is always tough (a little easier in the summer). And yes, usually you have give up something to get something of course.

But, it does open the soon-to-be UFA defender market which widens the bottleneck.

No idea if this is a goal or route that Dubas would take. It would cost a lot less though. It might depend on how much pressure Dubas feels there is to produce results this season.

I'd prefer it if he didn't do something because "pressure", that doesn't usually lead to positive outcomes

I'd get somebody that can do a job now and won't be excessively expensive like Dillon or Hainsey and wait for the off-season if were going #1D shopping, I guess a pending UFA they like and want to extend could make some sense as well like Vatanen

No doubt there is quality there. It just isn't getting you a true #1 RHD to play with Rielly. You just have to set the bar lower. No idea where the bar is for Dubas but Bobby Mac did say that they were looking for a long term RHD which I take as a Dumba or higher.

You've got the best Marlies D who's 20 years old and having a breakout AHL season and a kid that's having one of the best draft plus one goalscoring seasons in recent history in the OHL on that list, that's not even including Dermott and Kapanen

If that lot doesn't get somebody bloody good there's a major problem somewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad