Trades and Free Agent Talk -- The calm before the storm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Is he that much better than Holl?

i'd rather go for a significant upgrade than have Holl and Demelo, 2 #4 dmen.

I could see Dubas liking the idea of this if he thinks Lily will start working in next year because it is a really cheap change, but he might end up in Seattle. It would at least give them a choice of who to protect if he is better than Holl next year.

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
I proposed a Barrie-for-X trade because I think we need to try to salvage that deal. There's gonna be a lot of UFA defensemen this summer and getting a head-start (or trying them out) might be a good idea. Barrie hasn't been very good and doesn't fit in with what this team needs. I'd sooner have a #4 stay-at-home guy than Barrie at this point. And we absolutely have to go for RD as LD is crowded.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
They have 5 first pairing defenders, how are they looking to add more.

Why (?) - because of the injury to Hamilton. They were supposedly looking at Brodin. You can google to find more info. They are looking at the same kind of defender we are, a defensive minded defenseman.

Besides Carolina, Winnipeg, NYI & Panthers have been reported to be in the market for a defender.

Last edited:

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
As the third line center he isn't supposed to be a top 6 forward...

But I do agree with your point. Ideally we have a 6'4" defensive center who can wear down the opposition. I guess that would be a meaner, smarter, faster and better Freddy Gauthier.
Adam Lowry

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
What would we want back for Barrie? Expand the deal and get something like Larsson or Nurse back?

If its Nurse, I'd have to wonder what the return would be from the Leafs, and if the fans would be happy about that. Might fly in the face of (some) folks expectations.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Why Rangers should strike now on Alex Georgiev trade - New York Post
There is probably as good a chance that the team will continue to carry three goaltenders through the Feb. 24 trade deadline as there is that Alex Georgiev will be dealt.

And while it is sensible not to rush to judgment simply to avoid an unwieldy situation, let’s not kid ourselves, this might represent the height of interest in Georgiev, who has turned in some excellent performances but has not exactly established himself as an untouchable over the last six weeks.

If so, if general manager Jeff Gorton can stoke a bidding war for the 23-year-old pending restricted free agent with arbitration rights, if the Blueshirts could get a no-doubt top-nine winger with potential top-six upside, this would be the time to strike.
There is no reason for Gorton to be stampeded into making a choice before its time, that is true, but, again, this could well be the only time the Rangers have leverage in trade talks as it applies to Georgiev. The last thing they need is to be sitting at the draft table in Montreal and fielding offers of late second-rounders and/or thirds for No. 40.

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
Off season move but what do people think of Rielly for Parayko? Resign Muzzin

Dermott Parayko
Muzzin Liljgren
Sandin Holl

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Off season move but what do people think of Rielly for Parayko? Resign Muzzin

Dermott Parayko
Muzzin Liljgren
Sandin Holl

I am pretty sure the Faulk signing was done so the Blues could lose Pietrangelo and still have a top 4 puck mover available. The signing doesn't look that good today but its done and to me Parayko would be an untouchable for them.

Even if they were thinking of moving CP it wouldn't be for a left side D. Also expecting Dermott and Liljegren to be able to carry the load as top 4s next year is really optimistic. I don't think the club would want to commit to that and then wait to see if it is working in-season. Hopefully they consider giving Dermott and Lily some minutes to see how close they are to handling a bigger role while Rielly is out..

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Imo Leafs would be smart to not buy high in the guy now especially with the reportedly ridiculous demands from the Rangers. The value of a backup in the offseason will be quite low -a smarter time to go shopping

Georgiev might be the difference between us making the playoffs and missing it this year. If the asking price is a top-9 winger with top-6 upside, we have a couple of those to spare.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
I haven't seen a strong link between the Ducks and the Leafs. The big problem is it feels like we're not good trading partners since I think they want to rebuild more than retool and I'm not sure we have the future assets to make it work unless we start to include a prospect like Liljegren.

Manson is putting up pretty average numbers, both in points and in possession underlying numbers. Like you said, he's got very similar numbers to Gudbranson and actually has less 5 on 5 TOI/G than Gudbranson. With that said, Manson has much better possession numbers than Gudbranson over the years. So he's capable of playing a whole lot better, so there's reason to believe "buying low" could be good here.

I think Manson would fit that Muzzin RHD skill set. His contract is pretty fair and affordable. The problem is that people around here seem to completely over value him and are almost willing to give MORE than what Dubas gave up for Muzzin who is by far the better player.
I'd personally be all for Manson but I agree, not selling the farm for him. We have a surplus of wingers and we can definitely afford to move one for a need elsewhere. Johnsson for Manson straight up. Move Ceci wherever we can when the opportunity presents itself
I wonder about the possibility of Calgary being interested in a Barrie-for-Hamonic (or Brodie) swap. Calgary is one of the lowest scoring teams in the league -- I believe only 6 teams have scored fewer goals -- and a trade like this for two players on expiring contracts could benefit both teams and carries very little risk.

Calgary can go:
Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Barrie

Toronto can roll:
Rielly - Hamonic
Muzzin - Holl
I'd be all for that. Barrie hasn't worked out and soft offensive D is not what we need. Harmonic plays with an edge and likely we could resign him far cheaper than the nonsense Barrie is going to be asking for in free agency

Last edited:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Georgiev might be the difference between us making the playoffs and missing it this year. If the asking price is a top-9 winger with top-6 upside, we have a couple of those to spare.

That's a large overpay for a goaltender that is still a gigantic question mark

You start doing that your going to pay for it every time you go to the market, as we've seen once you show weakness it gets ruthlessly exploited

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Imo Leafs would be smart to not buy high in the guy now especially with the reportedly ridiculous demands from the Rangers. The value of a backup in the offseason will be quite low -a smarter time to go shopping

I wouldn't mind making a play for Georgiev but at the same time, the price has to be right. Some of the talk so far like Kapanen etc is just laughable.

Reactions: Menzinger and Kiwi

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Yea... A top 9 forward is much more impactful than a backup goaltender on a nightly basis. We need one but at the cost of a 3rd-4th round pick tops you can get a decent one.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The whole idea is to get Georgiev on the cheap not to allow the Rangers to complete their rebuild with an overpayment for a young backup goalie.

Reactions: Menzinger

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Also curious what kind of total rebuild the Ducks are imagining. If they’ll build around guys like John Gibson or reset the franchise at a younger age group, aka the 2020 draft and beyond.

stewpac

Nov 30, 2015
My preference would be to trade kappy and demott for a package that includes Manson, Hamonic or Dumba. Either one of those would look great next to Reilly and fill out our defense pairings perfect.
Now you can roll
Muzzin Holl
Sandin Barrie
In the off season we resign Muzzin, let Barrie walk and lilly fills his spot. Only hickup is finding a place for ceci, that's what I believe Dubas is struggling with now.

Back up goalie is a tougher move and shouldn't cost us one of the three third line guys.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
My preference would be to trade kappy and demott for a package that includes Manson, Hamonic or Dumba. Either one of those would look great next to Reilly and fill out our defense pairings perfect.
Now you can roll
Muzzin Holl
Sandin Barrie
In the off season we resign Muzzin, let Barrie walk and lilly fills his spot. Only hickup is finding a place for ceci, that's what I believe Dubas is struggling with now.

Back up goalie is a tougher move and shouldn't cost us one of the three third line guys.

There’s a huge range in quality between Dumba, Hamonic and Manson. Can’t be making those kinds of investments on name brand recognition.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Now you can roll
Muzzin Holl
Sandin Barrie

I think you could do something around

AJ+Ceci+a couple later picks for Manson and someone like Eaves? Eaves contract is reportedly uninsured so there could be savings there for the Ducks. They might be able to flip Ceci for a 3rd-4th, he's a right shot, still young and expiring or he occupies the RD slot.

stewpac

Nov 30, 2015
There’s a huge range in quality between Dumba, Hamonic and Manson. Can’t be making those kinds of investments on name brand recognition.

I'm not saying the deal is the same for each player however those are the players dubas should be looking at. Dumba would most likely cost is kappy, lilly and a pic. Manson could probably be had for kappy and Hamonic would probably be a bigger deal involving players from both teams. Point is theres options available for dubas to improve the team now and in the future.

stewpac

Nov 30, 2015
I think you could do something around

AJ+Ceci+a couple later picks for Manson and someone like Eaves? Eaves contract is reportedly uninsured so there could be savings there for the Ducks. They might be able to flip Ceci for a 3rd-4th, he's a right shot, still young and expiring or he occupies the RD slot.

I dont think aj can get us Manson, itll cost us at least kappy

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I'm not saying the deal is the same for each player however those are the players dubas should be looking at. Dumba would most likely cost is kappy, lilly and a pic. Manson could probably be had for kappy and Hamonic would probably be a bigger deal involving players from both teams. Point is theres options available for dubas to improve the team now and in the future.
Yea if that is the price on Dumba I'm out.

Liljegren is trending towards a top 4 defensemen himself at the very least based on comparibles, maybe even a top pair guy if he continues to take big steps, and Kapanen is still a really young piece cost controlled for a few years who will likely have back to back 40 point seasons as a third liner when all is said an done. Nevermind the pick as well.

Sandin and Liljegren should be untouchable as prospects and Kapanen should only be used as part of a package for an elite RHD.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

I guess i dont wuite see.things that way.

The Leafs could probably flip Bracco.amd get an improvement on Hutch in the backuo role. Andersen will pull things together: so i dont quite see.the absolute need to overpay on a backup at this point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad