Trades and Free Agent Talk -- The calm before the storm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Continue the madness here!

Matthews and Sandin for Georgiev and Marc Staal? Who says no?

Right right right....

Matthews, Marner and Kapanen for Georgiev? Pretty close?

Last edited:
Reactions: Menzinger

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
So, I've been doing some pondering.

There are plenty of teams in the west that need goaltending. Namely, the San Jose Sharks. There's been some speculation about Aaron Dell.

But Aaron Dell doesn't make sense for the Sharks to move. UNLESS, the Sharks trade for another goalie.

There's speculation the Sharks might be willing to part with Kevin Labanc for Alex Georgiev.

There's also speculation that while the Leafs have offered, or may offer Bracco, they aren't willing to move a roster player (Johnsson or Kapanen) to deal with their backup goalie spot, as they may need to use one of those 2 to improve the defense, either before the deadline, or in the summer.

There's also been speculation on Brendan Dillon, which doesn't really make sense. HOWEVER. If the Leafs sent back a certain d-man with some salary, it could make sense.

THUS, my theory, is that Georgiev will not be a Toronto Maple Leaf, however he will be a San Jose Shark, and the Leafs will acquire Brenden Dillon and Aaron Dell (50%) retained, from the Sharks, in a deal that includes Cody Ceci, and perhaps someone like Timashov.

Down the stretch, we run with Muzzin, Holl, Dermott, Barrie, Sandin, Liljegren and Dillon in the lineup, Anxiously awaiting the return of Morgan Rielly.

Note; this isn't what I think we should do, or what I want to do, or anything like that. I'm just trying to piece together all of the speculation into the scenario that appears to be before us, as of this moment.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
If the rumours of the Oilers having interest in one of Kapanen, Johnsson, or Kerfoot are at all true....it's Kerfoot, Johnsson, Kapanen for me in the order of what I'd like to move. Engvall would have a tough transition period at first probably, but Engvall could be our 3C and Kerfoot and his 3.5 get sent out. Getting defensive help would be great. And a healthy top 9 of:
Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Mikheyev-Tavares-Nylander
Johnsson-Engvall-Kapanen
...looks pretty good to me. Nurse or Larsson would be awesome if at all possible. Obviously we would likely be adding to that trade package

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
If the rumours of the Oilers having interest in one of Kapanen, Johnsson, or Kerfoot are at all true....it's Kerfoot, Johnsson, Kapanen for me in the order of what I'd like to move. Engvall would have a tough transition period at first probably, but Engvall could be our 3C and Kerfoot and his 3.5 get sent out. Getting defensive help would be great. And a healthy top 9 of:
Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Mikheyev-Tavares-Nylander
Johnsson-Engvall-Kapanen
...looks pretty good to me. Nurse or Larsson would be awesome if at all possible. Obviously we would likely be adding to that trade package
My issue with this (I wanted to try Engvall at C as well) is that Engvall is too good along the boards to move him to C, thats a big part of what makes him effective.

Reactions: Clark4Ever

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Kerfoot's name suddenly being out there is interesting, considering he wasnt even in the conversation before. It was all Johnsson/Kapanen.

I have to assume the Insiders definitely heard some trade chatter around Kerfoot as well.

With how Physical Johnsson has looked coming back from Injury.....I personally would trade Kerfoot too.

Reactions: Nylander88

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Georgiev is 23 years old, and has a .915 career save percentage. Small sample size in terms of his career thus far, but he has a potentially high ceiling as well. Anyone who thinks the Rangers would give him up for scraps is fooling themselves.

He's cheap, and he could be a 1b type of goalie that can carry a significant workload of 30 plus games, which is exactly what we need.

Johnsson is a pretty good winger that can consistently put up 20 goals/40 points with the right linemates, but we have an abundance of similar wingers that can replace him for a lower AAV.

I think it would be a fair swap.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Johnsson/Kapanen/Engvall/Hyman adds some much-needed Size/Physicality in the top 9.

I wonder if Keefe wants to keep Johnsson and Kapanen for the physicality reasons

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
My issue with this (I wanted to try Engvall at C as well) is that Engvall is too good along the boards to move him to C, thats a big part of what makes him effective.
Then if that's the thinking I move Johnsson instead. For me Kapanen shouldn't be touched. One of our few players that has the ability to play heavy. Finishes checks, fastest straight line skater, bigger body, kills penalties, plays on PP2 now, and can move anywhere in the lineup. Also he's the youngest of the 3. We don't have someone in the system like that to come in for RW3. Bracco is our best RW prospect and imo isn't what we need and should be dealt.

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Apparently, Minny is looking for a Skilled C, over a wing.

A Deal around Kerfoot/Dumba?

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Kerfoot's name suddenly being out there is interesting, considering he wasnt even in the conversation before. It was all Johnsson/Kapanen.

I have to assume the Insiders definitely heard some trade chatter around Kerfoot as well.

With how Physical Johnsson has looked coming back from Injury.....I personally would trade Kerfoot too.

Kerfoot is also a centre though, so he has more value to the team in my opinion.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
So, I've been doing some pondering.

There are plenty of teams in the west that need goaltending. Namely, the San Jose Sharks. There's been some speculation about Aaron Dell.

But Aaron Dell doesn't make sense for the Sharks to move. UNLESS, the Sharks trade for another goalie.

There's speculation the Sharks might be willing to part with Kevin Labanc for Alex Georgiev.

There's also speculation that while the Leafs have offered, or may offer Bracco, they aren't willing to move a roster player (Johnsson or Kapanen) to deal with their backup goalie spot, as they may need to use one of those 2 to improve the defense, either before the deadline, or in the summer.

There's also been speculation on Brendan Dillon, which doesn't really make sense. HOWEVER. If the Leafs sent back a certain d-man with some salary, it could make sense.

THUS, my theory, is that Georgiev will not be a Toronto Maple Leaf, however he will be a San Jose Shark, and the Leafs will acquire Brenden Dillon and Aaron Dell (50%) retained, from the Sharks, in a deal that includes Cody Ceci, and perhaps someone like Timashov.

Down the stretch, we run with Muzzin, Holl, Dermott, Barrie, Sandin, Liljegren and Dillon in the lineup, Anxiously awaiting the return of Morgan Rielly.

Note; this isn't what I think we should do, or what I want to do, or anything like that. I'm just trying to piece together all of the speculation into the scenario that appears to be before us, as of this moment.

Yeah. The only way i see one of Keefoot/Kap/aj being moved is for a D man.

And that seems more like a summertime move

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Dubas isn't the one to be conservative about things. I think he will do something to improve the team. The question is before the deadline or at the deadline.

Reactions: Menzinger

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Then if that's the thinking I move Johnsson instead. For me Kapanen shouldn't be touched. One of our few players that has the ability to play heavy. Finishes checks, fastest straight line skater, bigger body, kills penalties, plays on PP2 now, and can move anywhere in the lineup. Also he's the youngest of the 3. We don't have someone in the system like that to come in for RW3. Bracco is our best RW prospect and imo isn't what we need and should be dealt.

Lets just think about this season though. Mikheyev is most likely out for the season.

I wonder if Management thinks its better to move Out Kerfoot and Maybe put Spezza in the 3rd line, who can replace Kerfoots Skill. (only if we can get a legit top 4 dman for Kerfoot). Spezza on the 4th line is a waste IMO.

Hyman - Mathews - Marner
Engvall - Tavares - Nylander
Johnsson - Spezza - Kapanen
Moore - Gauthier - ??

Reilly - Dumba
Muzzin - Holl
Dermott - Barrie

This way Engvall still stays on the wing

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario

Kerfoot offers the C/LW versatility. Johnsson offers a little more snarl. Both salaries within 100k of eachother and both will have similar offensive outputs in all likelyhood over the next 4 years of those contracts. Id rather keep Johnsson myself, but we shall see

Reactions: Big Shot and OVO16

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Lets just think about this season though. Mikheyev is most likely out for the season.

I wonder if Management thinks its better to move Out Kerfoot and Maybe put Spezza in the 3rd line, who can replace Kerfoots Skill. (only if we can get a legit top 4 dman for Kerfoot). Spezza on the 4th line is a waste IMO.

Hyman - Mathews - Marner
Moore - Gauthier - ??

Reilly - Dumba
Muzzin - Holl
Dermott - Barrie

Short term, this would be fine, but Spezza is not a long term solution as the 3C.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario

Hyman - Mathews - Marner
Moore - Gauthier - ??

Reilly - Dumba
Muzzin - Holl
Dermott - Barrie

I'd be fine with that too. I personally want Johnsson over Kerfoot myself if I had to choose. Mikheyev will hopefully be back a few games before the playoffs though if all goes well. Fingers crossed

Reactions: OVO16

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
I agree, Johnsson should be the first to go, followed by Kerfoot if we can find a heavier 3C. Kappy doesn't look great in the top 6 but is an elite 3rd liner who can drive that line.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Short term, this would be fine, but Spezza is not a long term solution as the 3C.

Yeah I agree with you but right now our D is still the most pressing concern...and if Kerfoot can get you a young top 4 D-man...you take it.

We can try and figure out the 3C situation later moving forward. Like others have mentioned before, maybe we try Engvall there, after Mikheyev comes back next season. Give Engvall a full training camp at C and he might look good.

But right now, we have the depth at C (Spezza, Gauthier)...to potentially move Kerfoot out if the trade is right

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I agree, Johnsson should be the first to go, followed by Kerfoot if we can find a heavier 3C. Kappy doesn't look great in the top 6 but is an elite 3rd liner who can drive that line.

Agreed. Even though personally...with how heavy Johnsson has played the last 2 games....I would say trade Kerfoot first.

But regardless, I think we agree that Kapanen should be the kast too goo. Dude always shows up for the playoffs, is extremely versatile on Special teams and is one of our most physical players

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Georgiev is 23 years old, and has a .915 career save percentage. Small sample size in terms of his career thus far, but he has a potentially high ceiling as well. Anyone who thinks the Rangers would give him up for scraps is fooling themselves.

He's cheap, and he could be a 1b type of goalie that can carry a significant workload of 30 plus games, which is exactly what we need.

Johnsson is a pretty good winger that can consistently put up 20 goals/40 points with the right linemates, but we have an abundance of similar wingers that can replace him for a lower AAV.

I think it would be a fair swap.
Completely agreed. We have an excess of wingers and can live without him. If not Georgiev, what do we want for Johnsson? Realistically.

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Completely agreed. We have an excess of wingers and can live without him. If not Georgiev, what do we want for Johnsson? Realistically.

Well, I can tell you what we won't get back for Johnsson straight up - a legit top 4 defenceman. Besides, acquiring a strong backup goalie is just as much (if not more) of a pressing issue for our team at the moment. I'm glad that Hutchinson has won a few games but I am not confident with him as a long term solution.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Well, I can tell you what we won't get back for Johnsson straight up - a legit top 4 defenceman. Besides, acquiring a strong backup goalie is just as much (if not more) of a pressing issue for our team at the moment. I'm glad that Hutchinson has won a few games but I am not confident with him as a long term solution.

I can tell you the Leafs won't trade Johnsson for a back-up goaltender either.

And they shouldn't.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Yeah if the Price for Georgiev is Johnsson/Kapanen.....Im pretty sure that Talks have already ended.

I dont see Dubas doing that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad