Trades and Free Agent Talk -- The calm before the storm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Who is your 3rd protected D? Rielly, Acquired guy and...? Dermott is likely protected still. Holl would only have 1 year left on his deal at that point and hopefully is our 6th best D at that point anyway.

I'm assuming they re-sign and protect Muzzin and if not him then another proven top 4 vet. No way they go into next season with just Sandin and Dermott behind Rielly. I guess they could rent a vet like Edler or Niskanen or Murray to replace Muzzin and be clear of them by the X draft but I don't see Dubas doing anything like that unless Muzzin can't be re-signed. Resigning Muzzin is the safest choice for Dubas.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I'm assuming they re-sign and protect Muzzin and if not him then another proven top 4 vet. No way they go into next season with just Sandin and Dermott behind Rielly. I guess they could rent a vet like Edler or Niskanen or Murray to replace Muzzin and be clear of them by the X draft but I don't see Dubas doing anything like that unless Muzzin can't be re-signed. Resigning Muzzin is the safest choice for Dubas.

Ok but at what point do you project Dermott to take a top 4 spot? He's been playing 3LD now for 2.5 years and has done well in that role. If you can't picture him in that role next year then you're resigned to him being a 3rd pair D forever? IMO the left side is not the issue. I'm more than happy with Rielly, Dermott, Sandin. It's the right side that even with a top pair addition is still a bit inexperienced followed by Holl and Liljegren.

You resign Muzzin then what happens with Sandin and Dermott? You wait until year 3 when Muzzin's contract is an albatross before they get promoted, meanwhile they're being scratched every other game? Play them on their off side? Why not just get the upgrade on the right side?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Ok but at what point do you project Dermott to take a top 4 spot? He's been playing 3LD now for 2.5 years and has done well in that role. If you can't picture him in that role next year then you're resigned to him being a 3rd pair D forever? IMO the left side is not the issue. I'm more than happy with Rielly, Dermott, Sandin. It's the right side that even with a top pair addition is still a bit inexperienced followed by Holl and Liljegren.

You resign Muzzin then what happens with Sandin and Dermott? You wait until year 3 when Muzzin's contract is an albatross before they get promoted, meanwhile they're being scratched every other game? Play them on their off side? Why not just get the upgrade on the right side?

You trade Dermot for a rhd.

Sandin can also play on the rught -or at least has in the past

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
You trade Dermot for a rhd.

Sandin can also play on the rught -or at least has in the past

Maybe I just think the Muzzin contract is going to be too bad down the line than it's not worth making those changes. He's going to get 5 years and 6 million ish. And it'll be Alzner by year 3 or 4. He's not the type of D with longevity. Why risk that when keeping guys on their proper side is a perfectly fine left side, and find a fix on the other side that doesn't carry that same kind of risk. Maybe I'm just too low on Muzzin's future IDK, but I feel like others are too low on what contract Muzzin is going to get too.

I get the logic of not being religious to guys playing on their correct sides all the time. If a fix is not there on the right side then Muzzin is an ok alternative, though a touch too risky for my liking. I feel like he probably should be option 4 or 5 though. It's just tough that you're on July 1st by the time you realize the other options are gone. I wouldn't resign him now.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Isn't there any other options besides those guys?

Top 4 RD with Term? Not many more out there.

Maybe Pesce? But Hurricanes fans/media love him and think he's top pairing caliber. Someone mentioned Murphy from Chicago...but I personally dont like it. Would rather keep Kappy.

To me, Manson and Dumba are the obvious choices

Reactions: Leaffan1991

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018

Maybe Pesce? But Hurricanes fans/media love him and think he's top pairing caliber. Someone mentioned Murphy from Chicago...but I personally dont like it. Would rather keep Kappy.

Not crazy bout Manson...Kappy s worth a bit more ,but if Dubas /Keefe think he is a good fit then so be it! Dumba,I would be surprised if he can be had for just Kappy,but,he isn't what is needed style wise.

43Kadri43

Jun 15, 2017

Murphy's significantly better than both Manson and Dumba.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Murphy's significantly better than both Manson and Dumba.

Please explain. Are you just basing of 1 season?

Manson is still recovering from an injury and playing on a trash ducks team. DOnt take this year into account

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad