Trades and Free Agent Talk - A New Season A New Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
On a side note, just want to be clear Soupman was drafted by some NHL teams and then was not offered a contract, thus becoming a UFA, right?
Can this also happen to Jesse Pool Party of the Oilers in a few years?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Greg Pateryn is another bottom-pairing RD we can target with Minny playing like trash.

Pateryn is a big gritty Dman who plays thick body hockey. Has a low cap-hit of 2.25 aav

At the very least, would be great to have an Injury replacement for the playoffs over guys like Marincin/Holl. He's a veteran.

That would be a great bottom Pairing RHD

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
He was there for only two days, so likely couldn't travel further than Moscow and St.Petersburg, so we need to check whick teams played there in those days. And it basically looks like it could be SKA with guys on expiring contracts like Barabanov, Zub, Burdasov and Melnichuk and, possibly, Avangard, but you won't like the only realistical name on Avangard's roster, as it starts with "Voy" and ends with "nov".
Melnichuk would be nice to add to the mix with Kaskisuo expiring after this season.

21 year old goalie posting excellent numbers in the KHL this year and consistently one of the better goalies wherever he has played the last few years.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
On a side note, just want to be clear Soupman was drafted by some NHL teams and then was not offered a contract, thus becoming a UFA, right?
Can this also happen to Jesse Pool Party of the Oilers in a few years?

I think Mikheyev was undrafted altogether so it's different.

Pool party was qualified by the Oilers so I believe they indefinitely hold his rights while overseas ... Similar to how the Leafs hold Aaltonen's rights

Reactions: Gabriel426

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I think Mikheyev was undrafted altogether so it's different.

Pool party was qualified by the Oilers so I believe they indefinitely hold his rights while overseas ... Similar to how the Leafs hold Aaltonen's rights

We hold Aaltonen's rights indefinitely because he's in the KHL, which does not have a transfer agreement with the NHL. Same goes for the NLA.

Aaltonen's rights actually expire this year because he turns 27 and is therefore eligible to become a UFA.

The SHL and Liiga, where Puljujarvi plays, has a transfer agreement. Therefore, I believe they only get to hold his rights for two years before losing them. Don't quote me on that, but the indefinite thing only really applies to the KHL/NLA.

Now I thought we would have lost Dzierkals rights immediately after he went from the KHL to the Liiga, because it has been 4 years since we've drafted him and they say as soon as you move to a league wiht transfer rights you either have to sign them or lose them. But I guess if you give the guy a bonafide offer, you get to keep him for longer (i.e. the extra two years like the Oilers and Puljujarvi) and maybe the Leafs did give him a bonafide offer that he turned down. Dubas apparently likes Dzierkals quite a bit and he did not have that bad of a season for a guy his age in the KHL.

Reactions: Gabriel426

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I'm still a fan of going for Chris Tanev. Rielly looks like he wants to join the attack allot more but always plays with a weak partner, it's time leafs finally get him a proper partner

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I'm still a fan of going for Chris Tanev. Rielly looks like he wants to join the attack allot more but always plays with a weak partner, it's time leafs finally get him a proper partner

Tanev is a shell of his former self, injuries have caught up with him. He had worse numbers than Zaitsev last year and can't play more than 70 games. Odds are we'd see Rielly with the same weak partners in the playoffs even if Tanev magically turned his game around.

Reactions: Menzinger

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Tanev is a shell of his former self, injuries have caught up with him. He had worse numbers than Zaitsev last year and can't play more than 70 games. Odds are we'd see Rielly with the same weak partners in the playoffs even if Tanev magically turned his game around.
I think Tanev was never in game shape last season. He looks a lot better now. Still not at his prime but he is getting there.
Is he better than Ceci, yes but Ceci is also better than Holl, Marincin and others since Tanev is made of glass and can break any minute.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Melnichuk would be nice to add to the mix with Kaskisuo expiring after this season.

21 year old goalie posting excellent numbers in the KHL this year and consistently one of the better goalies wherever he has played the last few years.

I kind of doubt that he really would be interested in that now.

Imo, in this situation it is better to look closely at Barabanov and Zub, they're the most realistic candidates.

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
He looks pretty good this year and isn't this also true for Matthew's so far?

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I’d like to see them trade some depth and clear some cap space for futures. Kappy for a 1st in the next draft which is stacked.

I’d also look to dump Ceci once Dermott returns but that one leaves them extremely short in case another injury happens on D

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Not that has to one of the big two teams, but of the players that can be actually be signed. Zub his teammate on SKA has drawn interested and from CSKA Grigorenko and Okulov are the are main ones there.

Also the goalie of SKA Melnichuk would be of interest as well, but due to his age and experience, I could see him re-signing there still.

Okulov is a very talented player, and will be 25 next year. If he ever gets it together, he'll be a solid NHLer.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Kapanen for Marcus Foligno (slightly retained) and Greg Pateryn
No thanks. I'll keep the younger, better player and just wait for Liljegren to come up.

These are the trades slowly start to bury a team if you make enough of them. You don't trade a young top 9 forward that's signed for a couple of almost 30 year old fringe/bottom of the lineup guys.

If we're going 2 for 1 I'd rather package Kappy with one of our D-men and go for a significant upgrade and be on the right side of that type of deal.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
We hold Aaltonen's rights indefinitely because he's in the KHL, which does not have a transfer agreement with the NHL. Same goes for the NLA.

Aaltonen's rights actually expire this year because he turns 27 and is therefore eligible to become a UFA.

The SHL and Liiga, where Puljujarvi plays, has a transfer agreement. Therefore, I believe they only get to hold his rights for two years before losing them. Don't quote me on that, but the indefinite thing only really applies to the KHL/NLA.

Now I thought we would have lost Dzierkals rights immediately after he went from the KHL to the Liiga, because it has been 4 years since we've drafted him and they say as soon as you move to a league wiht transfer rights you either have to sign them or lose them. But I guess if you give the guy a bonafide offer, you get to keep him for longer (i.e. the extra two years like the Oilers and Puljujarvi) and maybe the Leafs did give him a bonafide offer that he turned down. Dubas apparently likes Dzierkals quite a bit and he did not have that bad of a season for a guy his age in the KHL.

I think you’re getting draft rights and RFA rights confused on the bolded. Puljujarvi was given a qualifying offer after his ELC expired thus Edmonton holds his rights until he becomes 27 if he stays there. I’m pretty sure the transfer agreements have nothing to do with RFA rights. the 2 or 4 years in a league with a transfer agreement is a draft rights rule

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
People complaining tanev only plays 60 games every year with injuries...so far Matthew's is in the same path, do u want to get rid of him also?

No, because Matthews is a huge positive for the team when he's off the ice and hasn't missed any playoff games.

Tanev is constantly coming back from injury and shaking off rust for the first 10-15 games he's back. Those games are absolute garbage and his pairing gets absolutely filled in by the other team. Then you get 10-15 games of him "healthy" where he's mediocre at best. Then he gets injured again.

At his cap hit, we'd have to move out Ceci to fit him in and probably end up seeing Rielly-Marincin in the playoffs as a direct result.

Tanev is a comically bad idea even if we were paid to take him, let alone giving up assets for him.

Here's how insane Tanev's injury history is for context:

4/06/2019Missed the last 11 regular season games (lower body injury).
3/16/2019Lower body injury, remainder of the regular season.
3/13/2019Missed 11 games (ankle injury).
2/14/2019Ankle injury, injured reserve.
11/06/2018Missed 5 games (hip injury).
10/31/2018Hip injury, injured reserve.
10/25/2018Hip injury, day-to-day.
4/07/2018Missed the last 7 regular season games (knee injury).
3/25/2018Knee injury, remainder of the regular season.
3/17/2018Missed 17 games (leg injury).
2/14/2018Leg injury, injured reserve.
2/09/2018Leg injury, day-to-day.
1/12/2018Missed 2 games (mouth).
1/07/2018Mouth, day-to-day.
1/02/2018Missed 7 games (strained groin).
12/16/2017Strained groin, injured reserve.
12/15/2017Strained groin, sidelined indefinitely.
11/24/2017Missed 7 games (thumb injury).
11/09/2017Upper body injury, injured reserve.
3/18/2017Missed 3 games (food poisoning).
3/11/2017Food poisoning, day-to-day.
3/02/2017Missed 2 games (mumps).
2/25/2017Mumps, injured reserve.
1/10/2017Missed 1 game (upper body injury).
1/07/2017Upper body injury, day-to-day.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
He's missing multiple games ALMOST EVERY MONTH. How do you build any chemistry or rhythm when your partner is missing games every other week? At least with Matthews it's one injury that takes him out for a month or two and then it's done when he's back up to speed.

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Theres a massive difference between a young player whose had a couple only Kyle injuries vs a older guy who has had injury issues almost every season of the last decade.

Apples to oranges

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Kapanen for Marcus Foligno (slightly retained) and Greg Pateryn

WTF is this?

I'm willing to trade Kapanen if he becomes surplus to requirements but I'd rather press box him than trade him for that

If he's going he needs to go for a similarly aged natural LW (preferably with some jam) or a defenseman with some cost certainty for multiple years

Not bottom of the line-up stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad