Trades and Free Agent Talk - A New Season A New Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I like Tanev still and he's certainly an upgrade on Ceci.

He likely needs bubble wrap, but now may best time to try for him because his injuries have made him easier to acquire. He's UFA come the next season so there's no long term commitment if any thing does re-occur.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
WTF is this?

I'm willing to trade Kapanen if he becomes surplus to requirements but I'd rather press box him than trade him for that

If he's going he needs to go for a similarly aged natural LW (preferably with some jam) or a defenseman with some cost certainty for multiple years

Not bottom of the line-up stuff

Yeah point made

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
WTF is this?

I'm willing to trade Kapanen if he becomes surplus to requirements but I'd rather press box him than trade him for that

If he's going he needs to go for a similarly aged natural LW (preferably with some jam) or a defenseman with some cost certainty for multiple years

Not bottom of the line-up stuff

Agreed. But I would specify on a defenceman coming back in return. I think we've got enough on the wing here or coming that can fill in.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Agreed. But I would specify on a defenceman coming back in return. I think we've got enough on the wing here or coming that can fill in.

I'd prefer a defenseman as well but diversifying up front if you can't get a decent defenseman for him isn't a bad idea

Our skill guys work well with players with some jam, if one was available it's worth thinking about

Reactions: Kurtz

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I'd prefer a defenseman as well but diversifying up front if you can't get a decent defenseman for him isn't a bad idea

Our skill guys work well with players with some jam, if one was available it's worth thinking about

True. Hyman should help when he returns. Adding a big guy with some ability in Korshkov or Engvall possibly should add some variety as well.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
True. Hyman should help when he returns. Adding a big guy with some ability in Korshkov or Engvall possibly should add some variety as well.

If they could it would be nice, we're strong up front and the NHL ready guys are generally forwards as well

Rielly, Dermott,Sandin and Liljegren is a start but we need to keep adding to the backend

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If they do decide to trade Kapanen - a rhd has definitely got to be one of the main targets.

Especially with Korshkov seemingly waiting for a spot to open up (and the fact hes cheap)

Reactions: supermann_98

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
If they could it would be nice, we're strong up front and the NHL ready guys are generally forwards as well

Rielly, Dermott,Sandin and Liljegren is a start but we need to keep adding to the backend

Indeed. I'm not sure about you, but I'm not really interested in overpaying Muzzin or Barrie both in money or term to stay, and based some comparable contracts (Spurgeon and Faulk) it's likely what it will take. So having another defenceman that could be added to that group as well as the cap space to sign cheaper vets to compliment them would be my preference.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Indeed. I'm not sure about you, but I'm not really interested in overpaying Muzzin or Barrie both in money or term to stay, and based some comparable contracts (Spurgeon and Faulk) it's likely what it will take. So having another defenceman that could be added to that group as well as the cap space to sign cheaper vets to compliment them would be my preference.

Yeah, I'm not exactly keen to dip my toe into the UFA waters either, those contracts don't end well as a general rule

One guy I did think about was Vatanen, he's a 2nd pair RD and may be somebody that's undervalued by the market because of his size and he's not a huge points scorer

He could be good buying at the right price point

Muzzin's caphit will be closer to Gardiner than Spurgeon.

I wouldn't be sure about that, I could easily see his next contract being to long with an AAV that's to high

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Yeah, I'm not exactly keen to dip my toe into the UFA waters either, those contracts don't end well as a general rule

One guy I did think about was Vatanen, he's a 2nd pair RD and may be somebody that's undervalued by the market because of his size and he's not a huge points scorer

I wouldn't be sure about that, I could easily see his next contract being to long with an AAV that's to high

I mean it sort of depends who and what the demands are. Do you give a 30 year old Pietrangelo or Josi a 7 year deal? I likely wouldn't.

I'd have my eye a little bit further down the market.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I mean it sort of depends who and what the demands are. Do you give a 30 year old Pietrangelo or Josi a 7 year deal? I likely wouldn't.

I'd have my eye a little bit further down the market.

That's why I was thinking Vatanen, he's be 29 when his deal starts and maybe he could be had for something like Gardiner's deal

Pietrangelo or Josi are going to get 10M+ easily imo, bugger that and we can't afford it anyway

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

I mean we'll see but I think hell get around 4-6 years at a cap hit well under 6mil (maybe even under 5 depending on term)

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Lol if you have the opportunity to sign Josi or Pietro, you do it and deal with it later.

I'm a little more flexible with Josi because game is about his skating, but even still. Paying for 7 years at a certain amount when realistically you may only get 2 or 3 years of the kind of performance you're paying for isn't what like to sign up for.

That's the part of Tavares' contract that could be an issue. Is he going to be worth his cap hit in last few seasons of it?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
If they do decide to trade Kapanen - a rhd has definitely got to be one of the main targets.

Especially with Korshkov seemingly waiting for a spot to open up (and the fact hes cheap)

I still think kappy for 1 million retained savard with CBj is the best fit I can see

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->