Trades and Free Agent Talk - A New Season A New Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Later? You realize we already have 3 guys making 11M on the team

Good luck making that work
Ya I'm surprised people think the leafs can add another 10+ million dollar player onto an already top heavy team. Do they literally want half of the lineup being league min contracts.

Leafs core is pretty much set and I would be really surprised if the leafs grab a big ticket UFA other than Barrie who I think Dubas will really push to resign.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Ya I'm surprised people think the leafs can add another 10+ million dollar player onto an already top heavy team. Do they literally want half of the lineup being league min contracts.

Leafs core is pretty much set and I would be really surprised if the leafs grab a big ticket UFA other than Barrie who I think Dubas will really push to resign.

What kind of contract do you think Barrie will get compared to Peterangelo? I see them being maybe 1.5 mil apart (8m vs 9.5m), in which case I'd go with the latter, I think.

Off course the other option is to deal Money Mitch. That way we can afford Barrie and Peterangelo and Muzzin, and we get extra picks to play with at the deadline. Our offense and defense would both be stacked this way.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
What kind of contract do you think Barrie will get compared to Peterangelo? I see them being maybe 1.5 mil apart (8m vs 9.5m), in which case I'd go with the latter, I think.

Off course the other option is to deal Money Mitch. That way we can afford Barrie and Peterangelo and Muzzin, and we get extra picks to play with at the deadline. Our offense and defense would both be stacked this way.

What are we getting for Mitch in this scenario? Some extra picks ? No thanks.

If we do get anything substantial, we likely can't afford to keep that given how much money you've splashed on those three defenceman.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
What are we getting for Mitch in this scenario? Some extra picks ? No thanks.

If we do get anything substantial, we likely can't afford to keep that given how much money you've splashed on those three defenceman.

We were told that there were two teams planning to give Mitch an offer (4 1st rounders). If we can still get those (doubtful, but maybe?) in the off-season and direct the money to Peter, Barrie and Muzzin, that'd make us more balanced, better overall, and more sustainable going forward.

We have I believe $13 mil in cap room coming off next year. Add Mitch's $11, and that should be enough to fit all 3.

Reactions: Al14

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Hell no, i dislike Marner's deal on a fundamental level but you don't trade a kid that age who's easily capable of multiple PPG seasons so you can give two guys over 30 UFA contracts and a flawed player like Barrie UFA dollars

You've got Rielly and Dermott, Sandin and Liljegren developing and enough money to put together a good defensive core next season if you spend our cap space wisely

Spending large in UFA like that isn't wisely imo

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

My guesses.

Barrie. 8 x 7.25-7.5
Petro. 7 x 9.5

I would almost circle back to P.K. in jersey. He doesn’t seem like he is working out there. They have money.

If you could get him for say kappy and a prospect with 1.8 retained for 2 years it would be huge for the team. The next contract wouldn’t be big.

P.K. for 7.2 would be good without an 8 year commitment

Reactions: Dragao6

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
My guesses.

Barrie. 8 x 7.25-7.5
Petro. 7 x 9.5

I would almost circle back to P.K. in jersey. He doesn’t seem like he is working out there. They have money.

If you could get him for say kappy and a prospect with 1.8 retained for 2 years it would be huge for the team. The next contract wouldn’t be big.

Not a bad idea, I like PK, I like PK better for cheap and without the partying. Is he partying? Babcock would probably hate him though.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Not a bad idea, I like PK, I like PK better for cheap and without the partying. Is he partying? Babcock would probably hate him though.
I don't know if Babcock would hate him. Yeah he's outgoing and vocal, but he works out like crazy and is clearly very motivated. He does a lot of public events and stuff in the summer but he still takes his craft seriously and is very, very active in the community which the Leafs value.

Reactions: Duffman955

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
My guesses.

Barrie. 8 x 7.25-7.5
Petro. 7 x 9.5

I'm not convinced anyone gives Barrie that kind of term, at least not at that dollar amount, without regretting it.

Rangers gave Shattenkirk half of that and still ended up regretting it hard.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'm not convinced anyone gives Barrie that kind of term, at least not at that dollar amount, without regretting it.

I think folks are running a little wild with that initial media rumor that was clearly stated by Barries agent.

I suspect t his eventual aav will be a bit lower than most expect

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I don't know if Babcock would hate him. Yeah he's outgoing and vocal, but he works out like crazy and is clearly very motivated. He does a lot of public events and stuff in the summer but he still takes his craft seriously and is very, very active in the community which the Leafs value.

We were after him before Barrie but wanted retention. It could happen with jersey

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

Spurgeon just got 7.5 x 7.
Krug is the best comparable.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Spurgeon just got 7.5 x 7.
Krug is the best comparable.

Spurgeon is used in a lot more high leverage defensive situations than Barrie.

Barrie and Krug are solid comparables. Krug likely makes a bit more than Barrie for a variety of reasons, but not significantly. I don't think either get huge long term deals unless a stupid GM gets too excited. I just hope Dubas is not that GM. Keep the term down to 4 years and $$ below 8 mill. Otherwise walk away and don't look back.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Hell no, i dislike Marner's deal on a fundamental level but you don't trade a kid that age who's easily capable of multiple PPG seasons so you can give two guys over 30 UFA contracts and a flawed player like Barrie UFA dollars

You've got Rielly and Dermott, Sandin and Liljegren developing and enough money to put together a good defensive core next season if you spend our cap space wisely

Spending large in UFA like that isn't wisely imo

All valid points.

To me though, looking at it pragmatically, this would make us a better and more balanced team for the next 3-4 years. Beyond that, we're weighting if the future benefit of the four first rounders is roughly on par with Mitch alone, and I think we draft well enough now to where it would be.

Mitch's age is the only thing that makes me hesitate...but at the same time I don't know if the age factor is massively important in his case. Yea, he might be an all-star for the next 10 seasons, but we're only guaranteed to have him for 6. After that he's a UFA, and given how badly he bent us over as a RFA, I don't want to imagine what he'll try to do to us as a UFA with actual leverage.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Dont disagree. And i.suspect too he will give the Leafs a better deal (especially compared to Barrie) than some presume too.

I think moving Kapanen for a rhd also makes way too much sense too. Love the player but hes probably the best valuable trade chip the Leafs would move without disrupting the lineup too much

Reactions: stickty111

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I like the idea of signing Muzzin by mid-season to a short 3 year contract extension. I think we should sign Muzzin and then wait on signing Barrie. I like the idea of Pietrangelo in over Barrie, even if the money/term is more expensive and if they have to move someone out to make some room. I also like the idea of Subban at 50% retained if New Jersey falters this season.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Muzzin is a must sign. We have guys like Rielly, Dermott, Sandin for sure next year....we need guys who Defend. Muzzin is our best D-man at that. Hope we can sign him in the 3-4 year rage and the 4.5-6 million value

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
My guesses.

Barrie. 8 x 7.25-7.5
Petro. 7 x 9.5

I like it, ok would be a huge hit in Toronto and fit in well with young kids, bring some personality and presence. I've always though pk would eventually put on a leafs jersey

I wouldn't mind a Barrie for pesce either, great contract for us

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I'd love to see if Muzzin would bite on a lower AAV retirement term contract where it's designed to be easy to buy out or move to a cap floor team in 4-5 years. If we can get him in the low 4s for that kind of arrangement that would be ideal.

Love his game, but worried I won't when he's 35.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad