Trades and Free Agent Talk - A New Season A New Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
I'd agree. JT looked like he was getting his mojo back last night but Marner has been ass. He's over pt/game and you'd think just looking at the stat sheet he's been good but he hasn't been impactful like he was last year at all.

It's what happens when players get rewarded far above their worth and can never live up to their contract. Marner is paid like McDavid but in actuality a second tier star. Like Oates being paid like Gretzky.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
So were going to trade for a top pair RD? That sounds expensive for a team that has already traded it's 1st
playing RD on the top pair for the leafs does not mean you are a top pair RD i.e. Hanisey
...if we could flip Ceci for a younger (with potential) cost controlled RD i'd do it in a heartbeat

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Liljegren couldn't even make the team but he's jumping up to play second pairing? Interesting. We have a wide open 3rd pairing spot right side spot right now and he's behind Holl and Marincin. Not sure how he got the big promotion. All a moot point though, Ceci isn't going anywhere

he went down (couldnt make the team) for 2 reasons
1. he does not need to clear waivers, while Holl/Marincin do.
2. he is better off playing 20+ mins a night on the Marlies, than 8 mins on the Leafs

before the end of the season, he will be on the team.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
2. he is better off playing 20+ mins a night on the Marlies, than 8 mins on the Leafs

I wish I shared your enthusiasm. I'm not quitting on him by any means but he didn't look ready to me.
1A. Sandin didn't need waivers and he got to stay up with the team, highly doubt that's much of a factor if he earned a spot
1B. I sincerely doubt the leafs were shaking in their boots at the idea of losing a pair of 27, soon to be 28 year old career AHLers on league minimum contracts
2. Agreed, but why isn't Sandin who is a year younger? He's playing like 10-13 mins a night for us

Liljegren flat out didn't make the team. It's not gonna get easier with Dermott back either. I don't see him in a Leafs sweater this year but hope I'm wrong. Cuz if he gets onto the team obviously that means we have a young player playing well

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I wish I shared your enthusiasm. I'm not quitting on him by any means but he didn't look ready to me.
1A. Sandin didn't need waivers and he got to stay up with the team, highly doubt that's much of a factor if he earned a spot
1B. I sincerely doubt the leafs were shaking in their boots at the idea of losing a pair of 27, soon to be 28 year old career AHLers on league minimum contracts
2. Agreed, but why isn't Sandin who is a year younger? He's playing like 10-13 mins a night for us

Liljegren flat out didn't make the team. It's not gonna get easier with Dermott back either. I don't see him in a Leafs sweater this year but hope I'm wrong. Cuz if he gets onto the team obviously that means we have a young player playing well

For some reason they want to give him his 9 games, even though he's clearly not ready for any kind of real NHL role. And I guess they don't want him to do that with another rookie in Liljegren, so here we are. After 9 games, I fully expect Sandin to be back down in the AHL (otherwise I seriously question their ability to manage assets) and after that Liljegren may get a shot, especially if Dermott is not quite ready yet.

If Sandin was not there to be given a shot, and they don't like Harpur or Schmaltz, I think Liljegren would be there.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

I support N88 thoughts and I've really been hoping and waiting for Liljegren to emerge. There's still time, but the emergence of at least one of Sandin/Liljegren would really help us this year and in the future given our cap constraints.

Reactions: Nylander88

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I think Kapanen has enough value to get a pretty decent piece. Rumor was Dubas was trying to dangle him for Pesce.

If the Leafs think theyve got enough depth wingers to cover his loss I think Dubas may bite.

I'm not a big "trade Kapaen" guy, but given the bit of ambiguity surrounding Muzzin's and Barries future I think Dubas may want his absolute highest quality lineup this season for the playoffs and I dont think he wants to move many more futures

If true, were we surprised that the Canes were not interested in this and the trade did not happen? Hopefully not.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Agostino has been released/waived 5 times in the last 5 years. He's not an answer unless the Leafs get riddled with injuries. Timashov has some possibility of further growth.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
For some reason they want to give him his 9 games, even though he's clearly not ready for any kind of real NHL role. And I guess they don't want him to do that with another rookie in Liljegren, so here we are. After 9 games, I fully expect Sandin to be back down in the AHL (otherwise I seriously question their ability to manage assets) and after that Liljegren may get a shot, especially if Dermott is not quite ready yet.

If Sandin was not there to be given a shot, and they don't like Harpur or Schmaltz, I think Liljegren would be there.
Yeah it's a total waste on Sandin. We are rolling top 4 heavy and minimal minutes to the bottom pairing. Justin Holl has actually been respectable in my opinion. He hasn't looked bad this year and was a +2 in that blowout against Tampa. Also he is being used as a PKer. Sandin playing 10-13 mins a night is an absolute waste for a 19 year old. Hope he gets sent down soon for his own sake

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Agostino has been released/waived 5 times in the last 5 years. He's not an answer unless the Leafs get riddled with injuries. Timashov has some possibility of further growth.
I wish he didn't need waivers, I like Timashovs progress but he needs to be playing more if he wants to continue on his current development path.

Agostino fills more of the 4th line need than a skilled guy like Timashov does. He hits everything and can bury a few goals as well.

I would hope for a 4th line of Moore-Gauthier-Agostino when Hyman is back. But I would be fine with Moore-Gauthier-Timashov.

Send Petan down before his 30 days / 10 games are up. I think we trade Spezza to a team that needs a vet. Then we likely need to cut down to a 20-21 man roster so waive Shore and then decide between Timashov and Agostino.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

No, he went down because he wasn’t ready and had an uneven camp. Sandin didn’t need to clear waivers either, but he won a job with his play. Lil himself said he didn’t like his showing in camp, so it really isn’t much of a debate.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
No, he went down because he wasn’t ready and had an uneven camp. Sandin didn’t need to clear waivers either, but he won a job with his play. Lil himself said he didn’t like his showing in camp, so it really isn’t much of a debate.
He also didn't get a chance from Babcock like Sandin did either.

Liljegren was leaned on heavily on the PK and 5 on 5 minutes last year with the Marlies and Babcock barely played him in those roles in training camp. If you don't set up guys to succeed at what they're good at, how is it fair to expect them to make an impression.

Sandin was given looks in every situation and was clearly favoured by Babcock from the start.

Reactions: stickty111

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
He also didn't get a chance from Babcock like Sandin did either.

Liljegren was leaned on heavily on the PK and 5 on 5 minutes last year with the Marlies and Babcock barely played him in those roles in training camp. If you don't set up guys to succeed at what they're good at, how is it fair to expect them to make an impression.

Sandin was given looks in every situation and was clearly favoured by Babcock from the start.
Ya, I don’t buy that. If anything going into camp people felt Lil had a better chance to crack, nobody was seriously pencilling Sandin in. There were no favourites, one stood out, one was uneven and as such was given less opportunity as camp progressed. Again, Lil himself didn’t like his camp, so...

It just makes no sense to me that one kid was given an opportunity, while the other was held back for some nefarious reason. Sandin impressed, Lil not as much (he will be fine, this isn’t an indictment), hence the diverging paths in camp. Pretty simple.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Any consideration for Kapanen and N.Ritchie based trade ?
Would rather trade AJ than Kap.
AJ is just any mid 6 winger who will score and compliment your stars but everything about AJ game is replaceable. Where as Kap got speed and is a danger player off the rush and in the PK-if use correctly. Put it this way, AJ is the safer bet in terms of overall play but Kap is someone who has the potential to give you that extra jump. It is no coincidence that Kap usually scores and create chances when he plays with a more defensive partner than someone in the Ozone.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Would rather trade AJ than Kap.
AJ is just any mid 6 winger who will score and compliment your stars but everything about AJ game is replaceable. Where as Kap got speed and is a danger player off the rush and in the PK-if use correctly. Put it this way, AJ is the safer bet in terms of overall play but Kap is someone who has the potential to give you that extra jump. It is no coincidence that Kap usually scores and create chances when he plays with a more defensive partner than someone in the Ozone.

I'd be open either way.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Liljegren couldn't even make the team but he's jumping up to play second pairing? Interesting. We have a wide open 3rd pairing spot right side spot right now and he's behind Holl and Marincin. Not sure how he got the big promotion. All a moot point though, Ceci isn't going anywhere
I’m not saying he should have made the team but maybe the team felt more comfortable with him in the A instead of the big leagues. They might not have been comfortable with him and Sandin both playing the 3rd pairing.

Reactions: stickty111

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I dont know how feasible this is (someone needs to tell me what his contract situation looks like)....

but according to Reports...Kevan Millar seems to be the odd man out from Boston. He's been hampered with some really unlucky injuries. Connor Clifton has taken over his spot permanently.

As soon as he comes back from Injury...they're most likely gonna look to trade him. IF he's healthy...he's as perfect as a Bottom Pairing Dman as they come.

I dont know if Boston would trade him to a divisional rival though. But Millar as some serious Attitude

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
I’m not saying he should have made the team but maybe the team felt more comfortable with him in the A instead of the big leagues. They might not have been comfortable with him and Sandin both playing the 3rd pairing.
Well if it was that close they would have went with Liljegren over Sandin since he's a year older and is burning an ELC year this year regardless of where he plays. Trust me they wanted Liljegren to be ready. He wasn't/isn't yet.
As it stands right now, Sandin I believe goes down after 9 games. It's terrible asset management to have one of our best (if not best) prospects playing minimal minutes on a third pairing and seeing no special teams time either. Also if kept, burning a valuable ELC year for nothing. I thought during training camp it'd be Sandin staying up all year, but Babs had said many times with Hakstol back there running the D now, everyone has a fair chance and a clean slate. And personally if he keeps it up, Holl is better suited for the role right now of 15 mins or less + PK time. I think when healthy our third pairing ends up Dermott-Holl, as things stand today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad