Proposal: Trade Thread Part 68

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
...The key situation to resolve is Danault. I am now convinced that the best thing to do is just to let him go. The biggest mistake the organization could do would be to re-sign him. Both Poehling and Evans have the potential to be better Cs than him, even by next year. However, MB will not be able to let Danault walk. Part of it is his love for defensively-responsible grinders, part of it is the Quebecois thing. Unfortunately, I don't think we can dodge this bullet. I hope Danault holds out for crazy money and force Bergevin to let him go. That's the only way this ends well for the Habs.

Without getting into Montreal's young C, I don't understand why some Habs fans don't see just how good Danault is defensively. He's not just a grinder, although his offense will never be significant, but whether you look at Selke consideration, stats, or listen to guys like MacKinnon or Matthews.

The odds of Evans or Poehling being more impactful than Danault is not high. Danault plays incredibly difficult minutes and the Habs outscore and outchance their opponents when he's on the ice. To a ridiculous degree with Gallagher, but even without him its notable.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Without getting into Montreal's young C, I don't understand why some Habs fans don't see just how good Danault is defensively. He's not just a grinder, although his offense will never be significant, but whether you look at Selke consideration, stats, or listen to guys like MacKinnon or Matthews.

The odds of Evans or Poehling being more impactful than Danault is not high. Danault plays incredibly difficult minutes and the Habs outscore and outchance their opponents when he's on the ice. To a ridiculous degree with Gallagher, but even without him its notable.

I don't recall people dumping on Doug Jarvis or Guy Carbonneau, they filled a need as is PD

habdynasty

May 26, 2008
I don't recall people dumping on Doug Jarvis or Guy Carbonneau, they filled a need as is PD

carbo was used properly on the 3 rd line , I don’t remember him ever being used in the first line. He played with Gainey and Nilan for a long time. Just better coaching back then. They let the offensive players play with other offensive players.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
carbo was used properly on the 3 rd line , I don’t remember him ever being used in the first line. He played with Gainey and Nilan for a long time. Just better coaching back then. They let the offensive players play with other offensive players.
Carbo got close to 1st line TOI shadowing the Gretzky’s et al..

habdynasty

May 26, 2008
Jarvis didn’t play Lafleur either. Or not that I remember. Danault Armia and Lek should be the top d line.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

I have literally never heard anyone say a bad word about Danault’s defensive play. Some even saying he should be nominated for the Selke.
The issue is he brings virtually no offence and the pay he wants is not commiserate with his play and thinking he’s a top line center. As a 3rd line shut down center, he’s one of the best in the NHL. As the no. 1 center of the future, not so much. That’s the point I’ve seen most posters make and it’s agreed upon by most everyone which is a rarity in these boards to have a consensus on anything.

Last edited:

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I have literally never heard anyone say a bad word about Danaukts defensive play. Some even saying he should be nominated for the Selke.
The issue is he brings virtually no offence and the pay he wants is not commiserate with his play and thinking he’s a top line center. As a 3rd line shut down center, he’s one of the best in the NHL. As the no. 1 center of the future, not so much. That’s the point I’ve seen most posters make and it’s agreed upon by most everyone which is a rarity in these boards to have a consensus on anything.

indeed...

will be interesting to see what his contract asks are this summer.

Does the allure of playing close to home/family get heightened given the COVID situation?

that's probably the only thing that would keep him in town... given the limited top-6 C options out there this summer, he'll probably get a bigger offer elsewhere, and we'd be stupid to outbid everyone to retain him given our cap/roster situation

Reactions: Sterling Archer

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

Montreal had offensive players then,not now or recently have they had to the level they had then. Different era and way of playing the game. Gainey has multiple 20 goal season as did Guy and Nilan broke that barrier as well.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Montreal had offensive players then,not now or recently have they had to the level they had then. Different era and way of playing the game. Gainey has multiple 20 goal season as did Guy and Nilan broke that barrier as well.
To be fair though, most games were 6-5 and goaltenders with a SV% over .900 were unicorns.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
No social media back then. Plus, the Habs were winning.

Better times! just call in shows like Tevan.

Would it matter to some though if Habs were winning and win the cup? some will still find a way to bitch and gripe about something. Probably TOI and line-mates;)

Reactions: Runner77

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I grew up watching hockey in that era. Look at the scoreboard from 70’s and 80’s before the dead puck era.

You mean the ''clutch and grab'' era? I remember guys water-skiing behind me when I had the puck and the D bear-hugging me in the slot:thumbd: Recall a few slashes on me that broke a few sticks too ,and they were pretty hardy back then:nod:

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Well said. I think a large % of our fan base falls for the bandwagon parties where someone points out Danault's usage and it gets exaggerated. Spins and spins. Danault is a great middle 2C. He's not just some average 3C some think he is but he's also not some 2C that can provide offense. He is however a great piece to have and he needs to stay... hopefully around $5M or under. We will see. I get the feeling it will fall around Drouin and Anderson's cap hit at $5.5M and some Habs fans are going to flip out

Danault busts his ass off for us and the energy he brings every shift is on par with Gallagher. He don't get enough credit for it. People think he gets special treatment cause he is French and that's 100% BS! We had lack of good depth at center but that's not his fault. He's earned his spot and role in the NHL and some in our fan base needs to chill! Shaw commented about that last year and he's not wrong!

Reactions: angusyoung

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Lucic lift his to accommodate the flames.
Not the same but it is possible I am just saying.

You see this to start the season? I think it was the Flames first game in warm-up before the game started. I get a chuckle every time I see it lol.

Lucic in mid season form! :laugh:

Reactions: Kwikwi

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Better times! just call in shows like Tevan.

Would it matter to some though if Habs were winning and win the cup? some will still find a way to bitch and gripe about something. Probably TOI and line-mates;)

Some social media gripes have a life of their own.

Reactions: angusyoung

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
IF KK was in any deal to realllllly improve this team, he should have went.

he is not a top 3 pick, it shows now at wing then 4th line what a waste of a 3rd pick

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Price is leaving near Seattle in the summer and his wife family leave there so I do think he would accept to go in Seattle, I just don't think MB won't protect him
It's also unclear of Seattle will take him.

But that would be great for the Habs.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
IF KK was in any deal to realllllly improve this team, he should have went.

he is not a top 3 pick, it shows now at wing then 4th line what a waste of a 3rd pick
Top-3 pick is not some type of absolute, not all drafts are created the same, some are more deep than others. I don’t think there’s a huge difference between KK, BT and Hughes to be honest

Reactions: McGees

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
It's also unclear of Seattle will take him.

But that would be great for the Habs.
I'm pretty sure that they would take him like VGK did with Fleury. Having a start to start your franchise is something interesting to bring fans in the stands especially when the guy live there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad