GDT: R1:G3 | New York Islanders vs Carolina Hurricanes | April 25th | 7:30 PM | F/3-2 L

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Or more that he can, but we can't pull our eggs in that basket for 2 seasons straight.
Perfectly said.

Andersen is the most hot/cold goalie in the league right now behind Oettinger in my mind. He literally can get bombed one night and look like Roy the next.
Goaltending is such a strange vocation. Oettinger, Hellebuyck, Varlamov/Sorokin, are all underperforming in the playoffs. These are some of the league’s best and yet here we are.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Guy has all the physical tools, something just needs adjusting upstairs. Think it’s a confidence thing, TBH. He’s not aggressive, plays deep in his net… something is just off and has been more or less all year
He was great up until he gave up a couple of really bad angle shots last year, including the season-ending one. Not saying that did it but, well, maybe I am....

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Perfectly said.

Goaltending is such a strange vocation. Oettinger, Hellebuyck, Varlamov/Sorokin, are all underperforming in the playoffs. These are some of the league’s best and yet here we are.
Hellebuyck is somewhat similar too...very up and down. TBH Roy was a pretty up and down guy too but his down games were infrequent but to me he was way more inconsistent than guys like Broduer/Turco/Lundqvist were

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Try more backhand shots on Freddie. Those are harder to read by both defense and goalies. Which forward on Isles have a good backhand shots? Skate diagonally towards the goalie & release a backhand when you have the angle. Try out in the practice tomorrow.
I've been wondering if they should maybe shoot along the ice more. It's counter to how players shoot on most goalies these days, but Andersen has been great on anything off the ice. He's seemed less solid on shots at his feet. Worst case he gives up some rebounds. Best case, the low shots either go in, or they cause him to go down sooner and that opens up the high shots a bit.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Because anybody who has been watching all season knows Sorokin is an overrated bum and has been going back to last seasons playoffs. And then he goes and cries sitting in the tunnel sulking after being pulled, probably too humiliated by his play to show his face on the bench and sit with his teammates. He should offer the team to redo his extension for half the price after this season given his poor play.
While this post is beyond idiotic I did want to address that Sorokin was on the bench in the third. Obviously he was devastated by what transpired.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Varlamov is fine, but Sorokin can’t see the ice this year unless Varly gets hurt

Not that there’s many games left…

Get him Okposo’s sports psychologist. Guy has all the physical tools, something just needs adjusting upstairs. Think it’s a confidence thing, TBH. He’s not aggressive, plays deep in his net… something is just off and has been more or less all year
He's always played very deep in his net. That's his style (and seems to be the "new school" of goaltending). Trotz's (and initially Lambert's) system was to allow shots on goal from the outside but clog up the slot and high danger scoring areas. This suited Sorokin IMO. He plays the angles very well on shots off to the side, and can move super quickly laterally. It's when the defense is allowing shots straight on, even from far away, that he has problems tracking the puck.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I thought NYI were the better team yesterday and in game 1. Game two they should've won despite being vastly outplayed. Sucks they couldn't manage at least one win out of the first three. Deserved a better fate.

Ultimately, lack of high-end difference makers (at every position) compared to Carolina's has been the difference.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
He's always played very deep in his net. That's his style (and seems to be the "new school" of goaltending). Trotz's (and initially Lambert's) system was to allow shots on goal from the outside but clog up the slot and high danger scoring areas. This suited Sorokin IMO. He plays the angles very well on shots off to the side, and can move super quickly laterally. It's when the defense is allowing shots straight on, even from far away, that he has problems tracking the puck.

1714160428432.png

• Haha
Reactions: Big L

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
View attachment 860026

The more in front of the net the shooter is, the less of an angle the goalie can cut off. In the past, the Islanders would protect against those shots, at the expense of actually giving up more shots, in lower danger areas.
Look at their PK - they start out on the perimeter of the danger area then just keep collapsing in to the high danger area, and then it’s usually in the net.

If the PK doesn’t want to play aggressive, then at least don’t fall back to the high danger area.

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
Look at their PK - they start out on the perimeter of the danger area then just keep collapsing in to the high danger area, and then it’s usually in the net.

If the PK doesn’t want to play aggressive, then at least don’t fall back to the high danger area.

I gotta agree with what you said about the PK. The collapsing Passive box let's the opponent skate right in close way too many times. This always happens when they are Gassed. Our PK members are on the decline which we all know, so does the rest of the NHL.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
They lose every game, when is it the players? First it was Lambert, then it’s the refs, when is it the other team is better?
I literally said it wasn’t the reason they lost… so I’m not sure why you’re tilting at windmills here

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad