Proposal: Trade Thread Part 68

Status
Not open for further replies.

1000eeer

Jan 28, 2020
Quebec city
Lol forget about Hamilton coming to Montreal.

Weber isn't going anywhere (though it would make sense from a cap management perspective).

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
He was in Calgary for 3 seasons. I don't know if he enjoyed his time there or not. But he has played in Canada before.

he struggled a lot with the spotlight... and Calgary's sport media is a puppy dog compared to montreal. I don't think there is any chance he'd go to a market like montreal (or toronto), even if we were by far the biggest $$.

i would bet that he ends up in a small hockey market... Arizona, Anaheim, Florida (if they can find a way to get rid of Yandle or Stralman)...

RandomTask26

Jan 6, 2020
he struggled a lot with the spotlight... and Calgary's sport media is a puppy dog compared to montreal. I don't think there is any chance he'd go to a market like montreal (or toronto), even if we were by far the biggest $$.

i would bet that he ends up in a small hockey market... Arizona, Anaheim, Florida (if they can find a way to get rid of Yandle or Stralman)...
Dang, I was also thinking he would be great and fill an important role on this team. IMO Weber plays two more years then retires so it would just be an expensive D for two years.

But if he doesn't like the spotlight, then he should never come here

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

I still feel like he'll be back in Carolina, but I agree that Hamilton isn't a good fit for Montreal's market. Hamilton is smart enough to know that, as a UFA, he'll be paid for past performances. I imagine he'll be great for the next few seasons, but players like him tend to have results crater in their early to mid 3os (Subban, Karlsson, etc.). He'll probably go somewhere with less media attention.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I still feel like he'll be back in Carolina, but I agree that Hamilton isn't a good fit for Montreal's market. Hamilton is smart enough to know that, as a UFA, he'll be paid for past performances. I imagine he'll be great for the next few seasons, but players like him tend to have results crater in their early to mid 3os (Subban, Karlsson, etc.). He'll probably go somewhere with less media attention.

I agree but Price just put such a great performance that I also think many D would jump at the offer to play in front of him...

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
I agree but Price just put such a great performance that I also think many D would jump at the offer to play in front of him...

In the playoffs. Remember the mood around the team in the regular season? Hell, look at how ready people on here are to trade/move away from major pieces on the team.

Hamilton isn't the kind of guy who would want to go to Montreal. He's also not the kind of guy who would thrive in Montreal.

Reactions: 1000eeer

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
Its been a while I guess , but it is unfortunate we cant show the rest of the NHL how wild the bell centre is in a round 3 playoff matchup.

It would be a good reminder to the league how fun of a FA destination it can be when were doing well.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Going on the assumption that Tatar, Frolik, Staal, Merrill, Gus don't get signed, Drouin is traded and Allen is picked up in the expansion draft, we're sitting on roughly $13.5M in cap. Signing Danault at $5M, Armia, KK, Lehkonen at $3M, Perry $900k (all rough est.) leaved us with about $8.5M in cap. Need a back up goalie but still leaves quite a bit of cap to go big game hunting for an impact UFA of player of need not to mention we can send more cap back in the trade along with other assets that we have against our cap. Also, given our low draft pick in the 1st round and multiple picks this draft with little scouting, we have a ton of assets to trade as well.

Moral of the story, we have plenty of space to bring in a player to address an area of need and after this run, I expect Montreal to be a more desirable location that players may be more open to come to. Hope for a successful off season after a Cinderella run so far.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Going on the assumption that Tatar, Frolik, Staal, Merrill, Gus don't get signed, Drouin is traded and Allen is picked up in the expansion draft, we're sitting on roughly $13.5M in cap. Signing Danault at $5M, Armia, KK, Lehkonen at $3M, Perry $900k (all rough est.) leaved us with about $8.5M in cap. Need a back up goalie but still leaves quite a bit of cap to go big game hunting for an impact UFA of player of need not to mention we can send more cap back in the trade along with other assets that we have against our cap. Also, given our low draft pick in the 1st round and multiple picks this draft with little scouting, we have a ton of assets to trade as well.

Moral of the story, we have plenty of space to bring in a player to address an area of need and after this run, I expect Montreal to be a more desirable location that players may be more open to come to. Hope for a successful off season after a Cinderella run so far.

They need an elite level offensive player. I truly think that Laine could thrive in Montreal and be a force playing with KK or Suzuki.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
They need an elite level offensive player. I truly think that Laine could thrive in Montreal and be a force playing with KK or Suzuki.
That would be huge. Given BJ's exodus of players, I can see him moved in the off season. I don't think Laine is a Bergevin type player though and we have a ton of RWers already.

All our needs are on the left side on O and D.

Reactions: 1000eeer

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site

Pretty sure that KK and Armia will be asking for more than 3 M$ and didn’t Danault rejected 5.5M$ earlier now that he has successfully shutdown the top player in the playoff he might be looking for more or the competition to sign him might have gotten harder...

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Pretty sure that KK and Armia will be asking for more than 3 M$ and didn’t Danault rejected 5.5M$ earlier now that he has successfully shutdown the top player in the playoff he might be looking for more or the competition to sign him might have gotten harder...
Honestly, I was being generous with Armia and KK. I'd expect them to come in at less than that. Flat cap for next 4 years and many teams underwater. Players will be getting less than they have in a long time. Danault was offered $5 and wanted $5.75M. I think he'll be in that ballpark. So I think my estimates will be pretty close to what I posted.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010

I'm not sure what you mean by "elite level offensive player", but outside of his shot, Laine isn't elite at anything. And TBH, I think Caufield can be an elite level NHL shooter pretty soon.

A healthy Eichel on the other hand...

Feb 20, 2012
Calgary
Stay away from Hamilton as whomever signs him will regret it in a few years. Calgary got rid of him for a reason.

Resign Danault 4.5, Armia 2, Lehky 2, Perry 1, KK 2.5.

Depending on who we lose to Seattle we may have holes to fill. If Allen then replace with Bernier or Raanta (both FA). If we lose Chiarot, add Hjalmarsson or Martinez (both FA).

Trade Drouin and add one of Saad, Schwartz, or outside chance Hall. Could also try to trade for Rackell.

if we keep our big 4 dmen we really need to develop Romanov and a puck moving dman - maybe Norlinder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad