Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Trade our Veterens in Tkachuk and Chabot and start a new rebuild. This time with real bricks, not Lego's

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
I think its more complex than that though. If Zadina value around the league is say a 2nd rounder and Ottawa is willing to swap brannstrom for him then Yzerman might prefer that option as you get someone who can play now and you can see his potential instantly. Additionally you would def prefer to have big mobile defensemen like say Chychrun but that price for them is sky high so that might not be an option.

Would Zadina be able to get a Chyrchrun back without a significant add? probably no chance
it really is hard to say without knowing what the value of the two players are league wide aswell as what other moves they have planned
I don't know about values. But Red Wings have big and mobile d-men coming up, Edvinsson(6'6''), Wallinder(6'4''), Buium(6'3'') and couple bit smaller McIsaac(6'2''), Sebrango(6'1''), Johansson(6'0''), Viro(6'0''). Similar players to Chychrun and Brannstrom, so there's no need for Red Wings to trade for either one of them. And Lindholm might be available at the next FA frenzy, but i suspect he re-signs with the Ducks. Brannstrom just doesn't fit the bill, simple as that.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I think some retention with a pick would do the trick, as thankfully MDZ did his part to tear apart the AHL. The less the retention, the higher the pick value. As a fan, such a trade doesn't make the team better or worse, but it does eliminate the self created issues from the questionable signing, and for a budget team provides some relief for a player with no future here.

What an idiotic signing by Dorion. Please, don't make it worse by making an idiotic/desperate-cuz-poor-owner trade.

Reactions: Cosmix

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Dreger says Del Zotto is on a couple of teams' radar.

SELL SELL SELL
The interesting twist here is that MDZ's stat line in the NHL with us might actually be inticing to a team, 6 pts in 10 games, then goes to the AHL and tears it up

The team as a whole was terrible defensively when he was here, a team might look at his performance with CLB, and figure the defensive play with us was system related and not the player himself and see MDZ as a cheap reclamation project that can be buried if it doesn't work out.

I'm going to guess we land a 5th round pick out of him, give or take a round.

Reactions: aragorn

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
The issue is not with Paul per se, the issue is how much salary we can afford, and how should we allocate it. Given our budget, given our needs, Paul at anything more than $2M or maybe $2.5M/yr is not reasonable FOR US. I'd much rather trade him at the deadline, especially if we can get a good pick, and use the money toward a top 6 player.

Now if a team like the Leafs or Oilers can fit him under their cap, then yeah, they could totally use a player like Nick Paul.

I disagree a little with this.

Scenario 1:
Keep White, trade Paul: 4.75 mil in salary spent, get a 2nd round pick, team gets worse

Scenario 2:
Buyout White, sign Paul: 875k in salary on White + whatever Paul gets (for argument sake and to show that it's definitely possible we'll say Paul signs at 3 mil) for a total of ~900k saved that can be directed to other contracts. The team gets worse, but is better than the team in scenario one.

It's definitely affordable.

Of course there's the buyout White and don't re-sign Paul and put that money into a top six forward, but our bottom six loses two players and we get a little tire spinning going IMO. Definitely have to spend a little more to make the team better.

Reactions: Sweatred

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
is it better buyout white or to retain on him and trade him? Maybe we can retain less than what the buyout caphit is

Reactions: Cosmix

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
is it better buyout white or to retain on him and trade him? Maybe we can retain less than what the buyout caphit is

Hit buyout cap hit is 875k, with a negative cap hit of something like 500k one of the years of his buyout. While I think he could be a player worth 4 mil some day he's not there right now. We'd be hard pressed to find someone willing to gamble on White at 4 mil without sending salary back. I mean, he's had loads of injury problems and hasn't quite played up to his contract. I think buying him out rather than retaining helps free him from fan expectations with the contract he has wherever he goes as well, making a better situation for him. I honestly hope that if he gets bought out we bring him back ASAP. He's a fine player and loved in the room. Would love to keep him (and would be happy to bring him back) if he was on a more reasonable cap hit.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Paul + Tampa 2nd for Karvtsov

In what universe does Ottawa add a 2nd to Paul to get a fringe prospect who fled to the KHL?

If you want an idea of Paul's value as an RFA look at Goodrow and even Coleman. If you want an idea of Kravstov look at Lias Andersson.

Large, cost-controlled, efficient, two way players are worth more than magic beans.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I disagree a little with this.

Scenario 1:
Keep White, trade Paul: 4.75 mil in salary spent, get a 2nd round pick, team gets worse

Scenario 2:
Buyout White, sign Paul: 875k in salary on White + whatever Paul gets (for argument sake and to show that it's definitely possible we'll say Paul signs at 3 mil) for a total of ~900k saved that can be directed to other contracts. The team gets worse, but is better than the team in scenario one.

It's definitely affordable.

Of course there's the buyout White and don't re-sign Paul and put that money into a top six forward, but our bottom six loses two players and we get a little tire spinning going IMO. Definitely have to spend a little more to make the team better.
Yeah, I think at most it should be a choice between your scenarios 1 and 2. Don't think it would be budget-wise to hang on to both Paul and White. I'm in the minority, but I would go for scenario 1.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
In what universe does Ottawa add a 2nd to Paul to get a fringe prospect who fled to the KHL?

If you want an idea of Paul's value as an RFA look at Goodrow and even Coleman. If you want an idea of Kravstov look at Lias Andersson.

Large, cost-controlled, efficient, two way players are worth more than magic beans.

Paul might have been able to attract a Goodrow-type price had we traded him last year when he still had a year on his deal at a 1.3M cap hit, but that ship has sailed.

He's not an RFA, he's an upcoming UFA that will likely receive a rental price should he be traded. That's likely a 2nd or maybe a 3rd + late pick.

I'm not the biggest Kravtsov fan but he's not a fringe prospect. His value is at least a 2nd round pick.

Personally I wouldn't pay more than that for him and would consider Paul + 2nd an overpayment.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Paul might have been able to attract a Goodrow-type price had we traded him last year when he still had a year on his deal at a 1.3M cap hit, but that ship has sailed.

He's not an RFA, he's an upcoming UFA that will likely receive a rental price should he be traded. That's likely a 2nd or maybe a 3rd + late pick.

I'm not the biggest Kravtsov fan but he's not a fringe prospect. His value is at least a 2nd round pick.

Personally I wouldn't pay more than that for him and would consider Paul + 2nd an overpayment.

So he is, my mistake. All the same I wouldn't add a second for Kravstov.

I've never been high on Kravstov and my opinion has only gotten lower. I think I'd prefer a pick over him.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

You are dreaming.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Yeah, I think at most it should be a choice between your scenarios 1 and 2. Don't think it would be budget-wise to hang on to both Paul and White. I'm in the minority, but I would go for scenario 1.
Coleman is much better than paul and can actually play center at a very high level

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I don't have high expectations for White given his past performance and injury history. Trade him or buy him out; which ever costs less. Resign Paul if he will take $2.5 per for 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad