Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
In what universe does Ottawa add a 2nd to Paul to get a fringe prospect who fled to the KHL?

If you want an idea of Paul's value as an RFA look at Goodrow and even Coleman. If you want an idea of Kravstov look at Lias Andersson.

Large, cost-controlled, efficient, two way players are worth more than magic beans.
Kravtsov has more value than Andersson for sure.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Kravtsov shouldn't return much more than a 2nd, especially given what's going on right now.

He's a '99 born, which makes him the same age as Formenton, and he couldn't make the Rangers this year even though they are weak at RW.

Production at lower levels doesn't suggest future star either. Could end up a 2nd/3rd line RW but he's definitely a guy who's more flash than substance at this point.

He does appear to be a bit of a headcase too, not willing to spend time in the AHL improving his game and jumped ship to Russia as soon as he was sent down.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Think it’s about 875k
Not really a fan of the long buyout hits.

Yeah, you're right - its 875 x 6 for actual cost but 875 x 2, -625 x 1, and 875 x 3 for cap. So an average of 625k caphit but an actual cost of 875k per year over 6yrs.
Love giving these players this much:

Colin White almost $5M
Zaitsev $4M
Tierney$3.5M
MDZ $2M in the AHL

But hate giving Paul more than $2M.

What a franchise.

I think we will gladly give Paul more than $2M, and I know we would gladly walk away from all those contracts if we could.

PS - Zaitsev is $4.5M

Reactions: Sweatred

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Colin White almost $5M
Zaitsev $4M
Tierney$3.5M
MDZ $2M in the AHL

What a franchise.
If you give Paul 3+ he will move to the top list with the others.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
If you give Paul 3+ he will move to the top list with the others.

Absolutely not … Paul at $3 is maybe a $500G overpay … better then most UFA’s… nothing like the White, Z, or CT overpays who are all close to replacement level.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Read that Frank Seravelli thinks the Sens and Paul are not close to a new deal.

The more I think of it. Paul is only really valuable to us if we are at least competitive. Having him on an injury ridden quad is a waste and if we can get a good draft pick for him and not lose him for nothing, that'd be good. We should be able to develop another Nick Paul.

If we can target a team that needs to go deep in the playoffs given their unique circumstances, we should do that. NYR and CGY, have two 2nds. Sell em Paul, get a good draft pick and let the one thing we're good at work for us, developing players. Nick Paul isn't worth more then $2.5 million for a budget team like us.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Read that Frank Seravelli thinks the Sens and Paul are not close to a new deal.

The more I think of it. Paul is only really valuable to us if we are at least competitive. Having him on an injury ridden quad is a waste and if we can get a good draft pick for him and not lose him for nothing, that'd be good. We should be able to develop another Nick Paul.

If we can target a team that needs to go deep in the playoffs given their unique circumstances, we should do that. NYR and CGY, have two 2nds. Sell em Paul, get a good draft pick and let the one thing we're good at work for us, developing players. Nick Paul isn't worth more then $2.5 million for a budget team like us.
If we move Paul for a 2nd I want it for 2023.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Who gives a crap about Paul. He’s part of the 90% of this roster that’s replaceable. Good plug in player in the bottom six if your team is competing in the playoffs but the Sens are a bottom tier squad

Lol, a little harsh, but you raise a good point. He has more value to a playoff team than he does to the Sens right now. I'd be looking to trade him.

Reactions: DrEasy and NB613

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Colin White almost $5M
Zaitsev $4M
Tierney$3.5M
MDZ $2M in the AHL

What a franchise.

Yes, but overpaying four players doesn't mean we should add another to the list. It sucks for Paul, and I do like the kid, but we can't afford to keep doing this with bottom 6 players.

Reactions: GCK and DrEasy

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
At some point we need to stop trading players that playoff teams would find valuable, and keep them for ourselves.

When do we reach that point?

I would like us to keep Paul, as I think he adds a heck of a lot of elements in one bottom 6 player. Being able to play up the lineup is just one facet.

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
At some point we need to stop trading players that playoff teams would find valuable, and keep them for ourselves.

When do we reach that point?

I would like us to keep Paul, as I think he adds a heck of a lot of elements in one bottom 6 player. Being able to play up the lineup is just one facet.
Playoff teams think he is valuable this year to help them, as an a expiring contract. Tampa Bay would not be looking to sign him to a 3+ million dollar extension for 3 or 4 years, I can guarantee that.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

Colin White almost $5M
Zaitsev $4M
Tierney$3.5M
MDZ $2M in the AHL

What a franchise.

Could of had Duclair as well for $3 million a season.

Dorion has spend his money horrendlessly, not talked about enough because we aren’t a Cap team but he’s a horrible Cap manager and has so much money caught up in dead end players

Reactions: NB613

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Who gives a crap about Paul. He’s part of the 90% of this roster that’s replaceable. Good plug in player in the bottom six if your team is competing in the playoffs but the Sens are a bottom tier squad
Unfortunately I have to agree. I like Paul a lot and he's a great on and off the ice guy but i'm not breaking the budget to keep him. He's limited in what he can do out there.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

Paul is more valuable than any UFA acquisition we could get here. $3 spent on Paul is probably worth $5-6 of real value in limiting goals and giving the team a chance to win. He defends every single high leveraged defensive situation.

White or any 2RW we bring in only had value as secondary scoring.

We shouldn’t trade Paul unless it’s for an extremely attractive power forward/top 4D ready to play in 2022.

I’d go as low as an Othman type prospect perhaps 1 year away from being a 2LW allowing Formenton to take over the 3LW role but we’d need a stop gap solution to compete. Maybe Othman or Greig are ready.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

but how does the team get good if it keeps getting rid of the players that play their position well for worse players (Stone, C. anderson, EK, Duclair, Methot)

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
but how does the team get good if it keeps getting rid of the players that play their position well for worse players (Stone, C. anderson, EK, Duclair, Methot)
So the rebuild is done then. Dorion built what he had before. A few good players, a few at the end of their careers, couple kids in the minors, a bunch of crap, a low cap, a middling coaching staff. That was it folks. Just wait for a miracle run now...then throw it out again. Lol.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Could of had Duclair as well for $3 million a season.

Dorion has spend his money horrendlessly, not talked about enough because we aren’t a Cap team but he’s a horrible Cap manager and has so much money caught up in dead end players
I’m not sure where that number comes from. All I know for sure on Duclair is they had a deal in place with the agent and then Duclair fired him, the Sens then offered a 1 year deal which Duclair declined so the Sens let him walk without a QO.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I’m not sure where that number comes from. All I know for sure on Duclair is they had a deal in place with the agent and then Duclair fired him, the Sens then offered a 1 year deal which Duclair declined so the Sens let him walk without a QO.

Sens not being able to negotiate with a player is the stupidest thing ever, like they got confused and thought he was asking for $25 million. And had their media guys like Boo-boo say Duckair was out to lunch in his demands.

how stupid was a management to not even qualify him and keep his rights, even if they didn’t like the qualifying offer they could of traded him.

stupid asset management and they handled it poorly

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Sens not being able to negotiate with a player is the stupidest thing ever, like they got confused and thought he was asking for $25 million. And had their media guys like Boo-boo say Duckair was out to lunch in his demands.

how stupid was a management to not even qualify him and keep his rights, even if they didn’t like the qualifying offer they could of traded him.

stupid asset management and they handled it poorly
I think they should have given him a QO but saying if the didn’t like the arb award they could trade him is unlikely. He was an FA and only got a 1 x 1.7M. let’s say he got awarded 3.75, there is zero chance they could trade him.

Reactions: Crosside

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

Colin White almost $5M
Zaitsev $4M
Tierney$3.5M
MDZ $2M in the AHL

What a franchise.
Why are the two names in the middle included in this? Both were acquired as part of larger trades and were not the primary target. Only included really to make the money work both ways. I'd still take Zaitsev if it meant Connor Brown was coming too and Tierney had 2 pretty productive seasons before he got that 2 year extension which the Sens get out from under at the end of the season.
White and MDZ have been debated ad nauseum at this point but the other 2 are plain weird to include in this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad