Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It’s not feasible to pay 4th line players that much.
It's feasable to pay players who want to play here who contribute in numerous ways especially defensively & it's feasable to pay a guy who can fill in on higher lines. Tierny makes over $3 mil & he's been terrible all yr & last yr too, Paul is a much better player & can do much more. They need to get rid of a whole lot of players before they move Paul IMO.

Last edited:

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
It's feasable to pay players who want to play here who contribute in numerous ways especially defensively & it's feasable to pay a guy who can fill in on higher lines. Tierny makes over $3 mil & he's been terrible all yr & last yr too, Paul is a much better player & can do much more. They need to get rid of a whole lot of players before they move Paul IMO.
Don’t compare to bad contracts, it’s like saying he is about 25% the player Batherson is so he deserves 1.25M. Each contract needs to be assessed on its own in context of role and team.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Don’t compare to bad contracts, it’s like saying he is about 25% the player Batherson is so he deserves 1.25M. Each contract needs to be assessed on its own in context of role and team.

You’re so off here - the Sens can step away from one contract and repurpose the money elsewhere. They can trade Z or whoever and use the money on someone else. Everything is linked .. Dorion will have a budget and any free money in his budget that can be used better elsewhere should be …

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Well IMO compared to who they have, he is more important to this team especially defensively where him & C. Brown are very good together where he deserves around $3 mil per yr for 2 to 3 yrs. There is nobody in waiting who is going to be better next yr which could force their hand including Greig who you mentioned. They have to reduce their goals against to be a competitive team & if they can stay healthy the goals will come, but it's stopping them from going into their own net that is equally as important.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
You’re so off here - the Sens can step away from one contract and repurpose the money elsewhere. They can trade Z or whoever and use the money on someone else. Everything is linked .. Dorion will have a budget and any free money in his budget that can be used better elsewhere should be …
The decision to pay Paul 2M vs 3M does not require moving out salary, it’s simply a slotting decision. Bringing in a good player via trade or FA is a different story. We could buyout White and trade Zaitsev and it would still be a bad move to overpay Paul.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Well IMO compared to who they have, he is more important to this team especially defensively where him & C. Brown are very good together where he deserves around $3 mil per yr for 2 to 3 yrs. There is nobody in waiting who is going to be better next yr which could force their hand including Greig who you mentioned. They have to reduce their goals against to be a competitive team & if they can stay healthy the goals will come, but it's stopping them from going into their own net that is equally as important.
I’d have zero problem overpaying Paul for 2 years but that’s clearly not an option. He already turned down 2M over 3 years. Neither the money nor term is going down in negotiations.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The decision to pay Paul 2M vs 3M does not require moving out salary, it’s simply a slotting decision. Bringing in a good player via trade or FA is a different story. We could buyout White and trade Zaitsev and it would still be a bad move to overpay Paul.

Bringing in a free agent or even via trade has not worked & been a HUGE bone of contention with this fan base. They have a player they know, who wants to be here, who is very good defensively & versatile who can play all three forward positions. They can still upgrade somewhere else & they should, but they should also keep a good defensive forward who has an A on his sweater & well liked in the room. It has to be worth more than $2 mil. Sorry, I didn't see your post above, but I still disagree & think he deserves $3 mil for 3 or 4 yrs.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I’d have zero problem overpaying Paul for 2 years but that’s clearly not an option. He already turned down 2M over 3 years. Neither the money nor term is going down in negotiations.

I think we should trade Nick Paul for a late 2nd, draft the 2022 version of Ben Roger, and then sign a revolving door of past their prime veterans to 1 year, $2.5M contracts each year for the next 4 seasons.

The money spent will be the same, the players will be worse... but it won't be a long-term deal!

Reactions: ATdaisuki

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Bringing in a free agent or even via trade has not worked & been a HUGE bone of contention with this fan base. They have a player they know, who wants to be here, who is very good defensively & versatile who can play all three forward positions. They can still upgrade somewhere else & they should, but they should also keep a good defensive forward who has an A on his sweater & well liked in the room. It has to be worth more than $2 mil.
He’s a 4th liner any way you want to slice it and should not be overpaid.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

It's funny because it's likely a contender gives up a 2nd rounder for him at the deadline, and then plays him 15-17 minutes a night as they compete in the playoffs.

But yes, a 4th liner.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I think we should trade Nick Paul for a late 2nd, draft the 2022 version of Ben Roger, and then sign a revolving door of past their prime veterans to 1 year, $2.5M contracts each year for the next 4 seasons.

The money spent will be the same, the players will be worse... but it won't be a long-term deal!
Don’t overpay a 4th line player because the GM is poor at acquiring talent. Replace the GM and trade Paul if that’s your worry.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Only when they are fully healthy which for most of this yr has been rare & likely will also be rare next yr.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
It's funny because it's likely a contender gives up a 2nd rounder for him at the deadline, and then plays him 15-17 minutes a night as they compete in the playoffs.

But yes, a 4th liner.
I think you vastly overate Paul. No contender is playing him 15 minutes unless they go to triple overtime.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I think you vastly overate Paul. No contender is playing him 15 minutes unless they go to triple overtime.

I think you vastly misunderstand the type of players teams value in the playoffs.

Paul will get traded to Tampa, Florida, Calgary, Minnesota, or any other playoff team, and play on the 3rd line and be a go-to penalty killer.

Reactions: aragorn

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I think you vastly misunderstand the type of players teams value in the playoffs.

Paul will get traded to Tampa, Florida, Calgary, Minnesota, or any other playoff team, and play on the 3rd line and be a go-to penalty killer.
Okay.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
There aren't too many 4th liners that I can think of who have played 1st & 2nd line centre for their teams this yr when they found themselves missing so many players & it's his secondary position.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
There aren't too many 4th liners that I can think of who have played 1st & 2nd line centre for their teams this yr when they found themselves missing so many players & it's his secondary position.

There are posters on these boards that will argue that Paul is no better than a 4th liner but will pencil Andrei Kuzmenko into the top 6 before he's ever played an NHL game.

Where you "slot" players in a Excel spreadsheet isn't what matters. The minutes, and situations, they play in are what matters.

Nick Paul averaged the 5th most ice time out of all our forwards last year. This year, he's #6.

He's not in any way a 4th liner.

Last edited:

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
You have to make decisions on players. You can’t just go and overpay every player either in money or term. Nick Paul is a decent to good 3rd line player but not at any price. Paul would be great on the 4th line but he doesn’t bring top 9 offence.
dont overpay

good GMs dont overpay and can keep talent. Greig should have no bearing on the Paul decision

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad