Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Smart time to move Paul is now. Opens up money. I’d honestly move Brown as well, open up another bit of money. Teams will pay up for him, opens up another chunk of money, has 1 year left and will be looking for an increase that the team can’t afford to take on for what will be a secondary, bottom 6 piece.

In no way do I think Brown is being shopped, but I think it would be a good idea. The money will be an issue moving forward, he’ll be a 29 year old UFA, and he’ll be looking at more than the 4 million he’s being paid this and next year.

Great players to have in your bottom 6, not great for a budget team with impending big contracts to big players.

The core for this team when contending, to me, is:

Stutzle
Tkachuk
Norris
Batherson
Pinto
Formenton

Chabot
Sanderson
Zub

I don’t think Brown or Paul will core members while the teams competing. They need to aggressively add a top 6 winger, and a top 4 D.
I’d use Paul + to get Kravtsov. Paul is the type of player they are allegedly looking to in in NY.

Brown is trickier. What could we get now vs the off season vs next TDL. We would need to get a substantial piece back for him IMO. Market should be good for him but I’m having a hard time finding a fit that wouldn’t just be picks coming back.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Vegas won't need to worry about that till the off season, I think they hold Eichel out till the playoffs. There is really no rush to get him on the roster, they will make the off season easily.

There is no way Vegas is keeping a guy off their roster that hasn't played in a calendar year and 21 NHL games in the last 2 years in total, and expect him to be their Kucherov at the playoffs while coming off a big injury and surgery. The guy will need some games to adjust back to NHL speed in order for him to be effective for them in the playoffs.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I predict Vegas is about to make a mockery of the league's salary cap limits. Some active roster player is about to get a nice little rest.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Smart time to move Paul is now. Opens up money. I’d honestly move Brown as well, open up another bit of money. Teams will pay up for him, opens up another chunk of money, has 1 year left and will be looking for an increase that the team can’t afford to take on for what will be a secondary, bottom 6 piece.

In no way do I think Brown is being shopped, but I think it would be a good idea. The money will be an issue moving forward, he’ll be a 29 year old UFA, and he’ll be looking at more than the 4 million he’s being paid this and next year.

Great players to have in your bottom 6, not great for a budget team with impending big contracts to big players.

The core for this team when contending, to me, is:

Stutzle
Tkachuk
Norris
Batherson
Pinto
Formenton

Chabot
Sanderson
Zub

I don’t think Brown or Paul will core members while the teams competing. They need to aggressively add a top 6 winger, and a top 4 D.

Paul this year, Brown next year. Like you say we need to add at least a top 6 W. I think you nailed the core.

Reactions: Cosmix and DrEasy

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Someone checking does not make him one dimensional. He’s a fine two way player who doesn’t ignore the defensive side of the game. But obviously we are not going to agree.
I don't mean hitting, I mean checking as in matching up against your man, playing him close, taking away time & space to make plays. But yeah, agree to disagree on this one.
I think we see him go to Arizona with a sweetener.
Agreed.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I think we see him go to Arizona with a sweetener.

Dadonov has a 10 team NTC and it looks like vegas honored it when the trade happened. Im assuming if his agent was smart he had all teams with cap space on that list outside of ottawa.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
William Karlsson from Vegas would be a sneaky pickup.

Saving you guys a Google.

He's 29

5 years remaining after this season at a cap hit of $5.9M
Salary breakdown of remaining 5 years is: 5.9, then 4 years at 5.6. No signing bonuses in the final 5 years.
M-NTC for all years of his contract.

Side note: After his 43 goal season in 2017/18, I posted in a Hot Takes thread somewhere on HF that my prediction is he'd never score more than 25 in a season for the rest of his career.

So far, I've been correct! He's had some shortened seasons, but even in those seasons, he hasn't been close to the 0.5 goals per game pace that he had in 2017/18

edit: I'd rather target other guys from Vegas if they are desperate to shed salary. Reilly Smith would be my prime target, but I don't know how Vegas would feel about trading one of their alternate captains. He is UFA, so would probably have to be a sign and trade for Ottawa to do it.

That or Ottawa takes a sweetener to just take his salary for the remainder of this season...but that doesn't jive with what Dorion sad he wants to do.

Last edited:

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island

He's 29

Salary breakdown of remaining 5 years is: 5.9, then 4 years at 5.6. No signing bonuses in the final 5 years.

Side note: After his 43 goal season in 2017/18, I posted in a Hot Takes thread somewhere on HF that my prediction is he'd never score more than 25 in a season for the rest of his career.

So far, I've been correct! He's had some shortened seasons, but even in those seasons, he hasn't been close to the 0.5 goals per game pace that he had in 2017/18

edit: I'd rather target other guys from Vegas if they are desperate to shed salary. Reilly Smith would be my prime target, but I don't know how Vegas would feel about trading one of their alternate captains. He is UFA, so would probably have to be a sign and trade for Ottawa to do it.

That or Ottawa takes a sweetener to just take his salary for the remainder of this season...but that doesn't jive with what Dorion sad he wants to do.

29-35 is solid in age; good veteran presence who could play up and down our lineup. No signing bonuses is a plus to Ottawa. Smith would be a better target, but like you said highly doubt Vegas trades a locker room leader in the midst of a Cup run. I think there are better moves out there for sure other than Wild Bill, but if the price is cheap (if Vegas is desperate) I'd be all for it.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown

Trading Paul doesn't mean he can't return in the offseason. He's a guy who's never put up big numbers so he shouldn't be getting big money, especially with the current cap crunch. He fits the identity of the team - big and fast. If you sign him at the going rate for a third liner, that's not a big deal.

I agree with Brown. He's a really solid player but will he be that in 2+ seasons? I'd rather not take that chance long term. But right now who could the Senators plug in to fill his role? White? A particular UFA? If you get a really good trade offer, he can go but I have no issue keeping him around for another season and then letting him walk at UFA.

Assen na yo.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
29-35 is solid in age; good veteran presence who could play up and down our lineup. No signing bonuses is a plus to Ottawa. Smith would be a better target, but like you said highly doubt Vegas trades a locker room leader in the midst of a Cup run. I think there are better moves out there for sure other than Wild Bill, but if the price is cheap (if Vegas is desperate) I'd be all for it.
Also his playoff numbers are pretty good.

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

He's 29

I wouldn’t be too concerned about what Dorion said he wants to do. Dorion for all his faults lies with the best GMs in the league, it’s the part of the job he has mastered. This isn’t a shot at Sorion, all the best GMs lie to the press. the most honest GM is also the worst GM in the league, Kyle Dubas.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa

So far, I've been correct! He's had some shortened seasons, but even in those seasons, he hasn't been close to the 0.5 goals per game pace that he had in 2017/18.

You aren't wrong, but 24 goals the very next year is pretty much 25. It's one of these "technically correct" things.

You also have to consider how the team and league have changed since then. He was overly relied upon in their first season and has been pushed down the lineup since, and the league has adapted to the knowledge that Wild Bill can be dangerous.

I think most people thought it was unsustainable, but Karlsson definitely has the capacity to hit 25 in a year. I don't follow VGK the best, but I'm pretty sure he's relied upon more so for defensive matchups nowadays.

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Formenton is gonna be expensive but Pinto can probably be signed for a discount if u offer him a contract before he proves he is good at the NHL level.

We need to keep the following players no matter what long term

Norris
Stutzle
Tkachuk
Batherson
Pinto
Formenton
Brown

Chabot
Sanderson
Zub

U keep that your gonna have strong Top 9F and top 4D for the next 4-5 years the rest can be cap casualties or whatever.

Sens need to negotiate contracts before players breakout I know it didn't work for White but you could have locked up Formenton under 3M on a multi year deal. Now he is probably gonna be fishing for 4.5 if he ends the season with 20 goals. Norris is the same thing you're just letting the kid score goals every night like wtf lock him up.

Reactions: Que and dumbdick

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
A little out of left field, but would anyone consider a deal like this?

to CGY: Josh Norris
to OTT: Andrew Mangiapane + (maybe Connor Zary or Jeremie Poirier?)

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
A little out of left field, but would anyone consider a deal like this?

to CGY: Josh Norris
to OTT: Andrew Mangiapane + (maybe Connor Zary or Jeremie Poirier?)
NO. Norris is part of one of the best young lines & not just on the team, but in the NHL, why would we mess with that for a maybe especially since Norris & Tkachuk are best friends. Remember what happened when Muckler traded Hossa, Chara's best friend, he decided to leave because of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad