Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
It seems to me if we want to be able to afford a top 6 guy like Giroux and be able to afford contracts for Norris, forms, etc., there is only room for one of Paul and White.

If you guys had to choose, would you rather have:

- Paul at $2.5M/yr for the next 3 years (could be higher and/or more term) + White buyout of $0.875M/yr for the next 6 years
- White at $5M/yr for the next 3 years (cap is slightly lower but salary due is slightly higher) + asset obtained for trading Paul at the deadline (say, a 2nd or 3rd round pick)

It's probably close but my vote is to keep White.

Reactions: Crosside

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Wild fan here. Sorry about that guy who cam in here earlier...every fan base has one.
I agree with those who posted earlier on this thread that trading Fiala makes no sense for MN till the draft. It would also not make any sense for MN is they are taking back much, if any, cap. The only reason Fiala would be traded is because of the cap hell that MN enters starting next year because of the Suter and Parise buyouts. Some info, for those who don't watch MN much;

- Fiala has 1st line talent. Fast and quick. Very skilled, with a vg shot. Explosive, creative, and electric are words that can describe him(also stupid, but we'll get to that later).

- He is not tall, but thickly built and hard to move off the puck. He can and will turn the corner on a Dman, and is a willing puck battler. Very energetic, sometimes to a fault.

- LHS, but he is very comfortable playing RW. Not a C.

- He sometimes does stupid and impulsive things, usually out of frustration, I think. If he loses a puck battle, he'll hound the winner, sometimes dragging him down from behind and getting a penalty. Also can make ill advised passes- that's what you get with creative offensive players, IMO. You take the good with the bad.

- up until the past 11 games, he has had linemates like Bjugstad, Gaudreau( the wrong one), and Rask. He has basically been playing with one or two pianos strapped to his back. Since Boldy has come up he has scored 13 pts. in 11 gp.

- Last off season he apparently wanted to sign long term with the Wild, but Guerin chose to pursue signing Kaprizov, and locking up JEE. There were rumours that Fiala's agent wanted more money than Guerin was prepared to give, and that negotiations got contentious. Fiala got married in the past year...I am guessing he wants to sign long term, and get his first "big money" contract. I don't know how well that fits into your team's salary structure, or fits your owner's world view.
Thanks for taking the time to write that.

Very informative and appreciated.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
It seems to me if we want to be able to afford a top 6 guy like Giroux and be able to afford contracts for Norris, forms, etc., there is only room for one of Paul and White.

- Paul at $2.5M/yr for the next 3 years (could be higher and/or more term) + White buyout of $0.875M/yr for the next 6 years
- White at $5M/yr for the next 3 years (cap is slightly lower but salary due is slightly higher) + asset obtained for trading Paul at the deadline (say, a 2nd or 3rd round pick)

Paul + buyout, easily.

Also, buyout isn't even 875k x 6 - it's 875k x 5, -625k x 1

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
His skill is absolutely top 6 capable. It's only his skating that's holden him back.

He's improved his defensive game a lot this year. If his skating becomes at least average, then he's top 6 no doubt in my mind.

Yeah, he looks.... fat. I don't know if it's true, but he moves and skates like he's overweight. If he can get quicker, by perhaps losing 10-15 pounds he has a shot at the top 6.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Yeah, he looks.... fat. I don't know if it's true, but he moves and skates like he's overweight. If he can get quicker, by perhaps losing 10-15 pounds he has a shot at the top 6.
Not sure if he has packed any on recently but he went on a fitness regiment after being drafted and lost lots of weight while also heavily working on his skating.

Seems dedicated to his fitness but is just huge.

Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I'm not a fan of signing third or fourth line forwards to long term contracts that take them into the 30's. If they decline, which is more likely than not, they'll be guys who don't deserve their roster spots.

Three years is a good term for a player like Paul.

Assennayo
Then they'll have to pay him more. Like I said I am not worried about Paul's longevity. 2.25 million for a 3rd/4th liner isn't bad if he is respected in the room and can fill a role. Paul is 27 this year a 5 contract only takes him to 32. The cap will also go up by then. He could score 20 goals with no pp time being an elite pker. he could get 4 million per year this off season.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
It wouldn’t be cheap but I’d love to get DeBrincat out of chicago. The guy can flat out bury and he’s an underrated playmaker too. I’d be willing to move our first this year, unprotected if that’s what it took.
Why would rebuilding team trade a 23 year old 40 to 50 goal scorer? Pretty big no brainer the sens trade their unprotected first for him. Probably would need another substantial add. But I still don't see why they do it. He is wearing an A too.

I wouldn't trade Formenton 1 for 1 for Fiala. Fiala is one dimensional, he is the second most skilled forward on the Wild but not the second best. The Wild as a team are very much what I believe the sens are trying to emulate from a culture and playing style perspective. Big heavy hard to play against team. If he isn't fitting in their why would he be a fit here? I really just want the organization to sign everyone and be patient.

Last edited:
Reactions: aragorn

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Why would rebuilding team trade a 23 year old 40 to 50 goal scorer?

I wouldn't trade Formenton 1 for 1 for Fiala. Fiala is one dimensional, he is the second most skilled forward on the Wild but not the second best. The Wild as a team are very much what I believe the sens are trying to emulate from a culture and playing style perspective. Big heavy hard to play against team. If he isn't fitting in their why would he be a fit here? I really just want the organization to sign everyone and be patient.

If you project out the Cap for Ottawa they can barely afford the current team they have in 2 years let alone adding a $5-$7 million dollar player in Fiala. Just makes no sense

you’d literally have to trade Norris, Pinto or Chabot to fit Fiala into the Cap structure

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

Paul plays every possible defensive high risk situation he can under DJ including shutting down the opposition, killing penalties, and in over time . White doesn’t play a second of those situations and can’t win a face off. There is a reason Paul has an “A”on his jersey.

Why on earth would you choose your 5-7th PP2 option at twice as cost over your best forward at limiting goals against? Paul probably scores a similar numbers of goals from the 3rd line anyway as White from his sheltered offensive role.

… and White will average out to $5.25 …

Last edited:
Reactions: aragorn

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
Why would rebuilding team trade a 23 year old 40 to 50 goal scorer? Pretty big no brainer the sens trade their unprotected first for him. Probably would need another substantial add. But I still don't see why they do it. He is wearing an A too.

Why would they? I don’t know, why does anyone trade anyone? If they decide to rebuild then maybe they value high draft picks instead of a 24 year old pending RFA who is going to get a very, very big contract. Ask hawks bloggers and beat writers why they are bandying around the idea? It’s a discussion board Bertie

Reactions: bert

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Why would they? I don’t know, why does anyone trade anyone? If they decide to rebuild then maybe they value high draft picks instead of a 24 year old pending RFA who is going to get a very, very big contract. Ask hawks bloggers and beat writers why they are bandying around the idea? It’s a discussion board Bertie
I agree with Bert. I doubt the Hawks would move DeBrincat. At 24 years of age, he is just entering his peak window and has several years before his production will decline. And while RFA contracts are trending upwards and are getting more expensive, the UFA ones generally will be even more expensive and teams usually have to pay older players whose production starts to diminish top dollar. Moving a player like Debrincat or another player of similar circumstances tends to be pretty rare, regardless of what a blogger (or whomever) might say. And, not sure if the rebuild in Chicago hasn't already started although maybe the organization doesn't like to frame it in that way.

Last edited:

ffayyca

Nov 6, 2010
Re: the buyout, I would assume Melnyk's budget is on actual salary which would include White, right? So if even we can buy out White with low cap hit, Melnyk would need to loose the purse strings for us to acquire a top 6 player?

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Friedman appeared on Wednesday’s edition of The Jeff Marek Show on Sportsnet’s national radio network to discuss the situation currently unfolding around the struggling Montreal Canadiens.

You know who a lot of people think is going to end up in Calgary, potentially? […] There’s a number of teams that are pencilling in Tyler Toffoli with Calgary, and it makes a ton of sense. They’re looking for secondary scoring, there’s the Darryl Sutter connection. There’s a few teams who think the Flames are going to be in on that one. I think they are in on that kind of player, and there’s a few teams who think the Flames are … put it this way, if you’re asking people to make predictions, and sometimes I do that at this time of year, I get a lot of “Toffoli to Calgary.”

Toffoli has two years remaining after this one under contract at an AAV of $4.25 million. According to PuckPedia, the Flames currently have space to add a player with a cap hit of approximately $2.81 million for the rest of this season; that figure will increase to $5.56 million by the trade deadline (Mar. 21, 2022).

hopefully ottawa nabs him. I understand though that the flames could potentially give up a lower 1st and make it work

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
We need an RW for Stützle and to somehow upgrade on Zaitsev

That's it for now

Paul and Brown should stay, you need high end bottom 6ers to be a contender

Next season I got:

Tkachuk Norris Batherson
Formenton Stutzle XXX
Paul Pinto Brown
XXX Kastelic Watson

(Gambrell Gaudette Grieg Sokolov Kelly all potential adds)
White - buyout

Wild Card - Kuzmenko drops Forms and Paul down a line if signed

Chabot Brannstrom
Holden Zub
Sanderson Zaitsev (Replace)

Get Chabot focusing on offense, keep the Zub shutdown pair, ease Sandy into the league and get him a better partner to do so with

I think the defensemen need to rotate a bit as I am not convinced Brannstrom should play with Chabot.

Also I am not convinced that Kastelic is ready.

Reactions: Yak

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I prefer the alternative. :)

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I think the defensemen need to rotate a bit as I am not convinced Brannstrom should play with Chabot.

Also I am not convinced that Kastelic is ready.
Your best post ever. Mostly because you are agreeing with me ;)

Reactions: Cosmix
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $20.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest