Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
We really only have 3 bad contracts in Murray, Zaitsev and White.

We need to keep Murray for a few reasons mostly because we don’t have a better replacement.

Keeping Zaitsev is not a huge deal IF the team deploys him properly and is willing to scratch him.

White at the moment would slot in to our top 9 if healthy. If we add a winger or 2 he’s an easy buyout. A buyout after next season is not really onerous.
if the team is willing to spend more money I am okay with keeping them. But if there is an interal budget and these players stop us from getting a legit top 6 winger and top 4 defensemen then I would dump them even at the cost of picks

Reactions: NB613

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
This is the key right here. Patience. Although, I think if Giroux becomes available for free, we are ALL over that on a 3 year deal. Free asset that's a top liner , who still has gas left, and will be imperative to the mentorship of young leadership core.

That will allow us to retain our top prospects and hope one/two of

Our selection in 2022(if forward)/Greig/Sokolov/Jarventie/or 2021/2022 picks

Give us invaluable impact on their ELC's or are either ripe enough to replace Giroux and be that missing young piece to our core, or we pounce on the next best thing with deep prospect capital.

Giroux is just the perfect fit IMO.

Right position fit as a RH RW with versatility to play C and be an ace on draws. Good style fit with a pass first mentality which would fit in well with Stutzle and Formenton or Tkachuk and Norris if a shakeup is required. Excellent on the PP. Good defensively. Legit name in the NHL, from the area, bilingual, would be amazing for marketing.

In his prime he was key to upsetting the Penguins in the playoffs, looking tremendous in his one on one matchup against Sid, completely getting under his skin. I’d love to have him in the room passing on that wisdom to Tkachuk and Stutzle.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I look at that and still think 3 years. The East is loaded. Tampa, Florida, Toronto are playoff locks next year which leaves competing for a WC spot.

for sure we’ll have to take a few swings at it - but having Giroux for 3 years it just helps the offence so much. Oddly they don’t need him on the #1 PP (Batherson and you can’t sit Brady, Norris or Jimmy) so he might not be the exact fit you need.

Reactions: Tremblay31

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
for sure we’ll have to take a few swings at it - but having Giroux for 3 years it just helps the offence so much. Oddly they don’t need him on the #1 PP (Batherson and you can’t sit Brady, Norris or Jimmy) so he might not be the exact fit you need.
I’m all for getting 2 of the following wingers. Listed in order of best moves IMO

Kravtsov - No brainer acquisition, has the skill and enough grit to be a longer term 2RW piece in our team

Giroux - max 3 years and max 5M AAV. Great fit but not the same player he was. Complementary 2nd line winger who would still contribute on 3rd line if needed.

Kuzmenko - cheap acquisition with zero risk.

Reactions: NB613

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010

I feel like I've explained this enough. But OK I'll try to be more concise. I'm not interested in making an acquisition just for the sake of it. I think most of the names being bandied about simply because they are obviously available are not good options. Would rather explore better options, even if they are less likely available. If they're not available, fine. I'd rather wait until they or similar quality players are available.

As I pointed out to ReginKarlssonLehner, we have absolutely no need to rush anything. Our core is incredibly young. The only core player whose prime years are being wasted is Chabot, and even he is only 25. I'm certainly not interested in making a trade this deadline (unless it was Chychrun, but I believe we've been well over that). Maybe something will make sense this summer, but probably not until closer to deadline next season.

The Flyers and Isles are currently out of the playoffs. Will be looking to retool this off-season, but if they struggle again next season, more drastic measures may be necessary. Pulock and Pelech will both be 28 by then. Konecny will be a month away from turning 26. If those teams do require larger-scale rebuilds, there's no reason to think those players will be entirely untouchable.

Reactions: Cosmix and bert

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010
Not sure why you listed Provorov, Pelech, Pulock and Koneckny. I can’t see why they would be available. Severson is UFA after next year so a trade for him would have to come in the summer with a big extension, I’d rather re-sign Zub.

I would also invite you to check out the Flyers' and Isles' capfriendly, as well as their prospect pools. Lots of aging veterans and not a lot on the horizon. You mentioned previously that the Flyers will have money to fill the holes. This would not be wise. You can't build a team through free agency. Without internal development they'll just be spinning their tires.

Reactions: Cosmix

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I feel like I've explained this enough. But OK I'll try to be more concise. I'm not interested in making an acquisition just for the sake of it. I think most of the names being bandied about simply because they are obviously available are not good options. Would rather explore better options, even if they are less likely available. If they're not available, fine. I'd rather wait until they or similar quality players are available.

As I pointed out to ReginKarlssonLehner, we have absolutely no need to rush anything. Our core is incredibly young. The only core player whose prime years are being wasted is Chabot, and even he is only 25. I'm certainly not interested in making a trade this deadline (unless it was Chychrun, but I believe we've been well over that). Maybe something will make sense this summer, but probably not until closer to deadline next season.

The Flyers and Isles are currently out of the playoffs. Will be looking to retool this off-season, but if they struggle again next season, more drastic measures may be necessary. Pulock and Pelech will both be 28 by then. Konecny will be a month away from turning 26. If those teams do require larger-scale rebuilds, there's no reason to think those players will be entirely untouchable.
The islanders arent rebuilding, they have battled covid, rink not being ready and deep runs with alot of condensed hockey. They were bound for a regression this year in such a good division. They'll be back next year.

Philly should be tearing it all down but I dont think trading players like Provorov and Konecny makes sense they are still relatively young, its still good to keep good players around that play hard and have a good work ethic. Need someone to take the hard matchups while the young players develop. A team with deep pockets like them can do a quick rebuild like the Rangers.

Despite the narrative that the rebuild has taken too long it doesnt mean the sens management should abandon the plan. The worst of it is done, the building blocks are in place. Just need to play the players and let them develop now. I do not understand the idea that the team needs to make any aggressive moves right now. If anything the injuries recently have shown how much these young players need reps. Does Stutzle go to center? Does Formenton get elevated into the top 6? Does Brannstrom get a chance at prime minutes? Probably not. I dont think adding anything right now makes alot of sense given where so many young players are and the reps they need. The team is missing more than half its top 9 forwards and atleast 2 of them for every game this year. I just want to see what this team looks like when its healthy.

It would be amazing to see this lineup for the last 10 games of the season after the trade deadline where hopefully the sens have dumped Tierney, Sanford, Forsberg, Ennis and J. Brown. I think it would be a pretty competitive team. Could give us a glimpse of what the sens need next year and what they have now.

Tkachuk Norris Batherson
Formenton Stutzle White
Paul Pinto C. Brown
Kelly Gambrell Watson
Bishop Gaudette

Chabot Thomson
Holden Zub
Sanderson Brannstrom
Zaitsev

Murray
Gustavsson

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Giroux is just the perfect fit IMO.

Right position fit as a RH RW with versatility to play C and be an ace on draws. Good style fit with a pass first mentality which would fit in well with Stutzle and Formenton or Tkachuk and Norris if a shakeup is required. Excellent on the PP. Good defensively. Legit name in the NHL, from the area, bilingual, would be amazing for marketing.

In his prime he was key to upsetting the Penguins in the playoffs, looking tremendous in his one on one matchup against Sid, completely getting under his skin. I’d love to have him in the room passing on that wisdom to Tkachuk and Stutzle.

Agree with all of this, but cost and term is the worry I have with Giroux.

UFA contracts can get crazy and most of the time teams end up regretting signing them.

If Giroux wants a long-term deal (5YRs+) and/or big money (6-7M+) I'd rather we give up assets for someone like Toffoli given his shorter term and cheaper contract.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

I agree we should always be looking at all options but Pelech and Pulock just signed max term team friendly deals and are the top pairing of a good team. They are likely more untouchable than McDavid and Draisitl, and I’m not even exaggerating.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I agree we should always be looking at all options but Pelech and Pulock just signed max term team friendly deals and are the top pairing of a good team. They are likely more untouchable than McDavid and Draisitl, and I’m not even exaggerating.

I think you're slightly exaggerating ;) but yeah, zero chance either guy is dealt

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010
The islanders arent rebuilding, they have battled covid, rink not being ready and deep runs with alot of condensed hockey. They were bound for a regression this year in such a good division. They'll be back next year.

Philly should be tearing it all down but I dont think trading players like Provorov and Konecny makes sense they are still relatively young, its still good to keep good players around that play hard and have a good work ethic. Need someone to take the hard matchups while the young players develop. A team with deep pockets like them can do a quick rebuild like the Rangers.

Despite the narrative that the rebuild has taken too long it doesnt mean the sens management should abandon the plan. The worst of it is done, the building blocks are in place. Just need to play the players and let them develop now. I do not understand the idea that the team needs to make any aggressive moves right now. If anything the injuries recently have shown how much these young players need reps. Does Stutzle go to center? Does Formenton get elevated into the top 6? Does Brannstrom get a chance at prime minutes? Probably not. I dont think adding anything right now makes alot of sense given where so many young players are and the reps they need. The team is missing more than half its top 9 forwards and atleast 2 of them for every game this year. I just want to see what this team looks like when its healthy.

It would be amazing to see this lineup for the last 10 games of the season after the trade deadline where hopefully the sens have dumped Tierney, Sanford, Forsberg, Ennis and J. Brown. I think it would be a pretty competitive team. Could give us a glimpse of what the sens need next year and what they have now.

Tkachuk Norris Batherson
Formenton Stutzle White
Paul Pinto C. Brown
Kelly Gambrell Watson
Bishop Gaudette

Chabot Thomson
Holden Zub
Sanderson Brannstrom
Zaitsev

Murray
Gustavsson

Yeah you're probably right about Philly and the Isles. Smart money would be on them not rebuilding for another couple more years. But - and you can disagree if you want - I do think there is at least a chance they decide to rebuild by next year's deadline. Teams trend up and down, every team goes through rebuilds sooner or later, it is just the cyclical nature of pro sports leagues with reverse-standings draft order and especially with a salary cap.

I don't think there is much point of getting into that further - everyone has said their piece now. Regardless, I think you see the point I am getting at. The Sens are a couple years away from seriously contending. Giroux will be turning 36 by then. Toffoli will be going on 32 and in the last year of his contract. It would be a lot of fun and send a positive message to the fans, sure, but it's not the best move for the team. If we were to jump the gun and make a move like that this summer, and then a Konecny or Pulock or similar player were to become available a little down the road but the contract of that previous acquisition is preventing us from getting it done, we would be kicking ourselves pretty hard.

Reactions: bert

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Yeah you're probably right about Philly and the Isles. Smart money would be on them not rebuilding for another couple more years. But - and you can disagree if you want - I do think there is at least a chance they decide to rebuild by next year's deadline. Teams trend up and down, every team goes through rebuilds sooner or later, it is just the cyclical nature of pro sports leagues with reverse-standings draft order and especially with a salary cap.

I don't think there is much point of getting into that further - everyone has said their piece now. Regardless, I think you see the point I am getting at. The Sens are a couple years away from seriously contending. Giroux will be turning 36 by then. Toffoli will be going on 32 and in the last year of his contract. It would be a lot of fun and send a positive message to the fans, sure, but it's not the best move for the team. If we were to jump the gun and make a move like that this summer, and then a Konecny or Pulock or similar player were to become available a little down the road but the contract of that previous acquisition is preventing us from getting it done, we would be kicking ourselves pretty hard.

I actually think you could be right about Philly btw... I dont think almost anyone is untouchable other than Giroux, and Giroux's future is entirely in his hands. Hart might be the only other one. Couturier & Farabee are close, but still some doubt in my mind.

Provorov has not fulfilled the promise of his early years and Konecny, while a very good player, has not taken that next step, either. Both are on attractive contracts and can help see through the rebuild, but both will be UFA by the time a full rebuild can be completed. It might make more sense to hold onto a few of their vets - Atkinson, Couturier (signed long-term), Giroux if he wants, Laughton, Lindblom (young-is but not a ton of value), Farabee (not a vet but signed longterm) - and have them usher in the rebuild while maximizing value on at least a couple of Provorov, Sanheim, Konecny, Ristolainen, etc.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Tkachuk Norris Batherson
Formenton Stutzle White
Paul Pinto C. Brown
Kelly Gambrell Watson
Bishop Gaudette

Chabot Thomson
Holden Zub
Sanderson Brannstrom
Zaitsev

Murray
Gustavsson

Good Post & mostly agree. I don't see a difference whether White is moved to RW on that 2nd line or Pinto is moved to RW on that 2nd line. I'm going to guess that Pnto is the better player & should be above White in the lineup. White IMO is more of a 3rd line player & a good fit on that 3rd line & plays a similar game to Paul & C. Brown. I imagine they might try both though as well as C. Brown unless they bring in via trade a new RW.

We've already seen Kelly & Gambrell playing on that 4th line & while they are okay I would like them to try Sokolov & Kastelic for the remainder of this season. They seem to play a good heavy puck possession game & keep the puck in the OZ longer with their size & reach advantage. It would be interesting to guage where they are in their development & whether they could bring a little more physicality & scoring potential to that 4th line. One of the areas Ottawa needs to get better is reducing their goals against & I imagine they are going to try a number of different players in different positions to achieve that down the stretch.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Tkachuk Norris Batherson
Formenton Stutzle White
Paul Pinto C. Brown
Kelly Gambrell Watson
Bishop Gaudette

Chabot Thomson
Holden Zub
Sanderson Brannstrom
Zaitsev

Murray
Gustavsson

White on line 2 would not be a good choice there. White is not 2nd line material. I would rather keep Ennis there until we get a better player. I hope Zaitsev gets traded at the TDL.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

Second PP unit needs crazy help though. Even when healthy it likely has the worst forward group of any PP2 in the league.

Sanford
Ennis
C. Brown
Formenton
Tierney

These guys should not be seeing regular PP time.

Next year PP1

Chabot - Norris
Batherson - Tkachuk - Giroux

PP2
Brannstrom - Thomson
Pinto - Stü - Formenton

That looks a lot better to me. Both units would be a threat.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
White's better than Ennis. Strangely distorted view of the player that seems exclusive to hf boards.

Debatable.

As a Senator Ennis has produced at a 40-50P pace while playing mainly in the bottom 6.

White hasn't been able to pace for over 40P unless he's centering Stone all year.

White is more responsible defensively but less effective offensively.

Overall I think they are pretty similar quality players. Not top 6ers but decent 3rd line guys.

Reactions: Cosmix

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Second PP unit needs crazy help though. Even when healthy it likely has the worst forward group of any PP2 in the league.

Sanford
Ennis
C. Brown
Formenton
Tierney

These guys should not be seeing regular PP time.

Next year PP1

Chabot - Norris
Batherson - Tkachuk - Giroux

PP2
Brannstrom - Thomson
Pinto - Stü - Formenton

That looks a lot better to me. Both units would be a threat.
If Stu isn’t on PP1 it’s a waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad