Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Clarke MacArthur? Have you ever seen Fiala play?

He has been scoring at a 30 goals/82 games for the past 155 game, so basically the equivalent of 2 seasons. He's playing with Frederick Gaudreau(4th liner) and Matthew Boldy (Rookie) and is on a 26 goal and 68 points pace.

Like... Let's come down to earth please lol

Nick Paul is a bottom 6 guy who can be replaced internally. Add Fiala and Formenton moves to the 3rd line. You don't need Paul at that point.

Honestly your explanations are way off and I feel like you've never seen the player on the ice.

If Fiala is that good are you willing to give up Formenton, a 1st or something big like that to get something that you probably naturally have within the system?
I just think sticking with Paul for nothing is better then Fiala for a lot of assets.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Fiala is a pretty high risk high reward player, kinda the opposite of Nick Paul. Both are useful but arent interchangeable and are in a completely different contract level. I am a little confused as to why its one or the other. Fiala is like a better Ennis, smaller skill player that tends to hang on to the puck too long.

A deal around White + for Fiala might make sense. I could see White being a guy Guerin would like. Boston guy, American player cost controlled no risk of losing Fiala for nothing. Despite what most of this board thinks White isnt a negative asset. I dont know if the sens have the budget to sign Fiala along with Zub and C Brown. So personally I wouldnt go that route but it might happen. When I think of Dorion and Guerin negotiating a deal it frightens me from a sens perspective.

Sens need White in the lineup getting reps.

The other situation that interests me is the fact Vegas needs to dump salary. What would they add for the sens to take Dadonov? Only 1 more year.

Agreed, if there is a deal it would probably be White for Fiala package with something else thrown in to balance it. The only question is that if the Wild want some cap relief that doesn't really help them unless we retain some salary, but would EM do that?

My guess is that they could just re-sign Gaudette who is a right shot & costs them nothing & seems to be getting better. Put C. Brown on the 2nd line & Gaudette on the 3rd might work without costing them much. I also doubt the Sens would take Dadonov back but who knows. They should go after a better RW, but cost in dollars, picks or prospects might prevent them from doing it. What are the chances of them moving some UFAs at the deadline for a young guy who can play now & grow with this team?

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
If Fiala is that good are you willing to give up Formenton, a 1st or something big like that to get something that you probably naturally have within the system?
I just think sticking with Paul for nothing is better then Fiala for a lot of assets.

I just want to be clear here.

You said:

1) I'd rather have Paul than Fiala because he is a "depth LW" and Formenton just had the game of his life;

2) Fiala is a 2nd line player, citing Clarke MacArthur, and you'd rather have Paul because you think he is a better 3rd liner than Fiala is a "2nd liner".

You realize that Fiala is 57th in the league in points per game played, and top 50 in goals per game played for the past 3 YEARS right?! That's middle of the pack 1rst line player in the NHL.

Like how does anything you've mentionned make any sense to you is mind boggling to me. Sorry man it's just not logical at all. Paul is easily replaceable. Players like Fiala are extremely rare and valuable. Paul is not even a better 3rd liner than Fiala is a 1rst liner. If you have to choose between these two it's not even a question that should come to mind.

Last edited:

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
I think if they give him term they can get him on a good AAV. He's the type of player that will continue to show up every day even if he is signed long term. I'd offer 5 years at 2 million. Probably settle at 5 x 2.25.

I'm not a fan of signing third or fourth line forwards to long term contracts that take them into the 30's. If they decline, which is more likely than not, they'll be guys who don't deserve their roster spots.

Three years is a good term for a player like Paul.

Assennayo

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Neither are ideal 3rd liners - but I agree with your points on Ennis.

I think Ennis is better offensively than White because Ennis can maintain puck possession and cause the opponent D to break down in the O zone due to his excellent skating ability and edgework.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I’d use Paul + to get Kravtsov. Paul is the type of player they are allegedly looking to in in NY.

Brown is trickier. What could we get now vs the off season vs next TDL. We would need to get a substantial piece back for him IMO. Market should be good for him but I’m having a hard time finding a fit that wouldn’t just be picks coming back.

Second round picks and lower are not worth the value of C. Brown. The team needs vets like him not picks that have a low probability of ever becoming an NHL level player.

A top 20 pick in the first round is the least I would want in return for C. Brown.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Formenton/Greig-Stutzle-Fiala
Grieg/Form-Pinto-Sokolov/Boucher

Love Brown, but we might not have luxury of signing him longterm and we would prefer a more bonafide top line winger with Stutzle. I don't completely know if it's Fiala but we have bottom 6 guys bursting through the seams and we need to start thinking smartly of how to bring in top talent to play with Stutzle.

Ideally, we sign Brown 4.5 x5 and we get lucky with Sokolov on cheap deal and he blossoms as a top 6 in 2 years. Because truthfully, unless we have an elite LW with Stutzle, I do not envision us winning cup with Brown as our 2nd line RW.

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Form/Greig-Stutzle-Sokolov
Form-Pinto-Brown

I doubt that Sokolov will become our 2nd line RW.

Reactions: NB613

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Trading a good player signed for longer than a year only to get a mediocre pick/mid-level prospect does nothing for this team. Prospects/picks are the last thing we need.

Unless it is an unprotected high first round pick in the 2023 draft.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I think Ennis is better offensively than White because Ennis can maintain puck possession and cause the opponent D to break down in the O zone due to his excellent skating ability and edgework.

He definitely has been over the last 3 years … Ennis appears to be slowing a bit at least he still wins the odd battle.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I just want to be clear here.

You said:

1) I'd rather have Paul than Fiala because he is a "depth LW" and Formenton just had the game of his life;

2) Fiala is a 2nd line player, citing Clarke MacArthur, and you'd rather have Paul because you think he is a better 3rd liner than Fiala is a "2nd liner".

You realize that Fiala is 57th in the league in points per game played, and top 50 in goals per game played for the past 3 YEARS right?! That's middle of the pack 1rst line player in the NHL.

Like how does anything you've mentionned make any sense to you is mind boggling to me. Sorry man it's just not logical at all. Paul is easily replaceable. Players like Fiala are extremely rare and valuable. Paul is not even a better 3rd liner than Fiala is a 1rst liner. If you have to choose between these two it's not even a question that should come to mind.

I’m sure we could check the stats on a Hoffman or Dadonov and find similar reason to get excited until you realize the players don’t really do much to help you win - they just play in the top 6. Paul helps you win more then Fiala IMO

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I’m sure we could check the stats on a Hoffman or Dadonov and find similar reason to get excited until you realize the players don’t really do much to help you win - they just play in the top 6. Paul helps you win more then Fiala IMO
Fiala is the 2nd best forward on a top 5ish team in the league. He’s helping them win, he literally just set the Wild record for a point streak, and that’s on a line by himself and PP2.

Reading through the thread, I don’t think you have a grasp on Fiala’s game at all.

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
It wouldn’t be cheap but I’d love to get DeBrincat out of chicago. The guy can flat out bury and he’s an underrated playmaker too. I’d be willing to move our first this year, unprotected if that’s what it took.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Fiala is the 2nd best forward on a top 5ish team in the league. He’s helping them win, he literally just set the Wild record for a point streak, and that’s on a line by himself and PP2.

Reading through the thread, I don’t think you have a grasp on Fiala’s game at all.

so what does he cost? And why am I suddenly Supposed to believe Kevin Fiala is the final piece to a puzzle that doesn’t scream Kevin Fiala to me.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
It wouldn’t be cheap but I’d love to get DeBrincat out of chicago. The guy can flat out bury and he’s an underrated playmaker too. I’d be willing to move our first this year, unprotected if that’s what it took.
Debrincat could be the player that Chicago would least likely move. It would be like us contemplating moving Stutzle.

Reactions: DrEasy

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
$2 mil a year is a fair price for Nick Paul. But no more than 4 years.

And this is really a bad time for making trades. The guys are playing loose and easy and punching above their weight a little bit. We're definitely not one trade away from being set. Need to show some patience here. Wait until next seasons trade deadline season before we make anything bigger than "cleaning clutter" moves.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Wild fan here. Sorry about that guy who cam in here earlier...every fan base has one.
I agree with those who posted earlier on this thread that trading Fiala makes no sense for MN till the draft. It would also not make any sense for MN if they are taking back much, if any, cap. The only reason Fiala would be traded is because of the cap hell that MN enters starting next year because of the Suter and Parise buyouts. Some info, for those who don't watch MN much;

- Fiala has 1st line talent. Fast and quick. Very skilled, with a vg shot. Explosive, creative, and electric are words that can describe him(also stupid, but we'll get to that later).

- He is not tall, but thickly built and hard to move off the puck. He can and will turn the corner on a Dman, and is a willing puck battler. Very energetic, sometimes to a fault.

- LHS, but he is very comfortable playing RW. Not a C.

- an offensive player, but works hard. Is actually used on the PK.

- He sometimes does stupid and impulsive things, usually out of frustration, I think. If he loses a puck battle, he'll hound the winner, sometimes dragging him down from behind and getting a penalty. Also can make ill advised passes- that's what you get with creative offensive players, IMO. You take the good with the bad.

- up until the past 11 games, he has had linemates like Bjugstad, Gaudreau( the wrong one), and Rask. He has basically been playing with one or two pianos strapped to his back. Since Boldy has come up he has scored 13 pts. in 11 gp.

- Last off season he apparently wanted to sign long term with the Wild, but Guerin chose to pursue signing Kaprizov, and locking up JEE. There were rumours that Fiala's agent wanted more money than Guerin was prepared to give, and that negotiations got contentious. Fiala got married in the past year...I am guessing he wants to sign long term, and get his first "big money" contract. I don't know how well that fits into your team's salary structure, or fits your owner's world view.

Last edited:

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
If we are just looking at the logical locks for next year (using some management views here)

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Formenton-Stutzle-C. Brown
XXX-Pinto-XXX (ideally we would want brown here but yeah)
XXX-XXX-Watson

Chabot-Zub
Holden-Zaistev
Sanderson-XXX

Murray
Gustavsson

The hope would be that bran gets that last RD spot but that spot is most likely going to be filled internally (one of Bran/JBD/Thomson)

So we have 4 forward spots to fill. Just based off how Smith/Dorion have ran the team I only see one of those spots being filled by a rookie. If we keep White then that is one third line spot taken. So we will have two forward spots left. Considering our forward pipeline it doesnt make sense to 'overpay' for Paul when there is a good chance he ends up in a 4th line role.

3 to 4 years at 2-2.25 million per max. It is hard to justify paul earning a 66% increase or more on his current salary (1.5 million)

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
We need an RW for Stützle and to somehow upgrade on Zaitsev

That's it for now

Paul and Brown should stay, you need high end bottom 6ers to be a contender

Next season I got:

Tkachuk Norris Batherson
Formenton Stutzle XXX
Paul Pinto Brown
XXX Kastelic Watson

(Gambrell Gaudette Grieg Sokolov Kelly all potential adds)
White - buyout

Wild Card - Kuzmenko drops Forms and Paul down a line if signed

Chabot Brannstrom
Holden Zub
Sanderson Zaitsev (Replace)

Get Chabot focusing on offense, keep the Zub shutdown pair, ease Sandy into the league and get him a better partner to do so with

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
^^putting paul on that makes that third line more questionable offensively. He looks maxed out at a pace of 28-29 points and thats with a lot of ice time (has been top 6 in ice time for forwards this year and last). We could reasonably expect a point drop with less icetime. I dont know how comfortable we should be paying up for a forward that might top out at 25 points max moving forward

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
^^putting paul on that makes that third line more questionable offensively. He looks maxed out at a pace of 28-29 points and thats with a lot of ice time (has been top 6 in ice time for forwards this year and last). We could reasonably expect a point drop with less icetime. I dont know how comfortable we should be paying up for a forward that might top out at 25 points max moving forward

That's a shutdown line, that's the point and thats why DJ put it together at the start of the year.

Paul plays defense, 1st pk unit, can notch 15 goals, great on draws, can play center and up and down the lineup. Keep him without question imo

Paul Pinto Brown
Holden Zub

Amazing shutdown group to play for matchups

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
Wild fan here. Sorry about that guy who cam in here earlier...every fan base has one.
I agree with those who posted earlier on this thread that trading Fiala makes no sense for MN till the draft. It would also not make any sense for MN is they are taking back much, if any, cap. The only reason Fiala would be traded is because of the cap hell that MN enters starting next year because of the Suter and Parise buyouts. Some info, for those who don't watch MN much;

- Fiala has 1st line talent. Fast and quick. Very skilled, with a vg shot. Explosive, creative, and electric are words that can describe him(also stupid, but we'll get to that later).

- He is not tall, but thickly built and hard to move off the puck. He can and will turn the corner on a Dman, and is a willing puck battler. Very energetic, sometimes to a fault.

- LHS, but he is very comfortable playing RW. Not a C.

- He sometimes does stupid and impulsive things, usually out of frustration, I think. If he loses a puck battle, he'll hound the winner, sometimes dragging him down from behind and getting a penalty. Also can make ill advised passes- that's what you get with creative offensive players, IMO. You take the good with the bad.

- up until the past 11 games, he has had linemates like Bjugstad, Gaudreau( the wrong one), and Rask. He has basically been playing with one or two pianos strapped to his back. Since Boldy has come up he has scored 13 pts. in 11 gp.

- Last off season he apparently wanted to sign long term with the Wild, but Guerin chose to pursue signing Kaprizov, and locking up JEE. There were rumours that Fiala's agent wanted more money than Guerin was prepared to give, and that negotiations got contentious. Fiala got married in the past year...I am guessing he wants to sign long term, and get his first "big money" contract. I don't know how well that fits into your team's salary structure, or fits your owner's world view.

You only have one???

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Second round picks and lower are not worth the value of C. Brown. The team needs vets like him not picks that have a low probability of ever becoming an NHL level player.

A top 20 pick in the first round is the least I would want in return for C. Brown.
That’s great if you can get it. What do we do if he wants the Hyman type contract of 38.5M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad