Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Well, it kind of contradicts what you said earlier. If you want to be negative, that’s cool. That’s your deal.

Lol how am I being negative? I just know how Melnyk operates by now. We all should. We operate at the floor. You want to think the budget is going to change and we will operate close to the cap? Cool. That's your deal.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Lol how am I being negative? I just know how Melnyk operates by now. We all should. We operate at the floor. You want to think the budget is going to change and we will operate close to the cap? Cool. That's your deal.

So out of all the years of owning the team, how many were at the cap floor…. ?

During a rebuild when there were kids and the fan base said PLAY THE KIDS!?

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
So out of all the years of owning the team, how many were at the cap floor…. ?

During a rebuild when there were kids and the fan base said PLAY THE KIDS!?

We give out 2nd round picks like candy at Halloween just so we don't have to pay bonuses. It's clear Melnyk has been penny pinching for a while now. Didn't always use to be that way, but obvious now.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
What do you think of this? Made this post somewhere else

Ottawa could easily beat that Eichel offer, even by giving up only pieces they can afford to lose (organizational strength)

2022 1st round pick (OTT)
2022 2nd round pick (OTT)
Erik Brannstrom
Filip Gustavsson
Roby Jarventie
Logan Brown
Chris Tierney

- They can afford to trade their 1st and 2nd next draft as they have so much under-25 wealth (Edit : plus, they'd get Eichel). They also have another 2nd and three 3rd round picks (could move up to have two 2nds and a 3rd?)

- They can afford to move Brannstrom with Chabot and Sanderson on LD

- They can afford to trade Gustavsson with Murray/Forsberg now and Sogaard/Merilainen in the future.

- They can afford to trade Jarventie as they are stacked in terms of Wingers. I really like Jarventie but you have to give to get.

- Logan Brown is a high end "reclamation project". Covid and injuries made him lose a lot of development. He didn't play much since he was 21 y/o (13 AHL GP, 1 NHL GP). Ottawa can afford to trade him with Eichel, Norris, Pinto and White (etc)

- Tierney is a decent stop gap center for Buffalo (Edit : as they are rebuilding and tanking for high end picks)

No way in hell does Buffalo agree to that pile of average. Scrap Jarv, Brown and Tierney and put Norris or Pinto in there, and you might get Buffalo to listen.

An Eichel deal isn't the place to dump team garbage. They'll be looking for at least 3 piece that hurt to give up, and more.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
We give out 2nd round picks like candy at Halloween just so we don't have to pay bonuses. It's clear Melnyk has been penny pinching for a while now. Didn't always use to be that way, but obvious now.
Yeah we've been following an internal budget for years now, way before this supposed "necessary" rebuild. Pretty sure the first mention of an internal budget was when Murray spoke to the media following Alfredsson's departure. Who knows how long the budget had been in place by then.

Reactions: Loach

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
No way in hell does Buffalo agree to that pile of average. Scrap Jarv, Brown and Tierney and put Norris or Pinto in there, and you might get Buffalo to listen.

An Eichel deal isn't the place to dump team garbage. They'll be looking for at least 3 piece that hurt to give up, and more.

"No way in hell", "team garbage"? "pile of average"? I wanted some opinions but no need to go full emo lol

Eichel wants out, is already paid 10 M$ per year (limits the market, i.e. many teams just can't add another 10 M$ guy, don't have the space or assets), has a pretty serious neck injury and a dispute with his team about it. It's a pretty big fat mess. He will most likely miss a big part of the first season with his new team (only 5 seasons left before UFA)

Buffalo is not going to get a "king's ransom" for him. I know in fantasy land it's always Heiskanen, Hintz, moaar top prospects and a few 1st round picks but in the reality it's Tierney, Norris, Balcers, DeMelo and picks.

It has been reported that Buffalo ask is 4 first round picks...

2022 1st round pick (OTT) : garbage? A 1st round pick in probably one of the best drafts ever? From a team that has been rebuilding the last 4 years and that is currently under the cap floor?

Erik Brannstrom : TSN released a prospect pool in April, EB was ranked 19th. One man's garbage is another man's treasure. The hockey world is still pretty high on Brannstrom. What is said within the small Ottawa fanbase doesn't matter at all.

Filip Gustavsson : another garbage? Gus is seen as a top-5 goalie or at least pretty close to it. This guy will force a team to give him a #1 job in the near future

Roby Jarventie : early 2nd round pick not even 1 year ago, pretty good pro stats for a 18 y/o teenager. Has a deadly shot. A pretty good prospect worth another 1st

2022 2nd round pick (OTT) : a good secondary piece, 2nd round picks in this draft will be sought after assets

Logan Brown : secondary piece, reclamation project center. Pretty good bet to take for a team like Buffalo

Chris Tierney : stop gap veteran, not even a piece in the deal

On any other team it would absolutely hurt to give a 1st in 2022, a 21 y/o D-man like Brannstrom, a top goalie prospect like Gustavsson and a sniper prospect like Jarventie. The Senators can afford this because of the amplitude of the rebuild they went through, they built a strong organizational depth in some positions

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
What do you think of this? Made this post somewhere else

Ottawa could easily beat that Eichel offer, even by giving up only pieces they can afford to lose (organizational strength)

2022 1st round pick (OTT)
2022 2nd round pick (OTT)
Erik Brannstrom
Filip Gustavsson
Roby Jarventie
Logan Brown
Chris Tierney

- They can afford to trade their 1st and 2nd next draft as they have so much under-25 wealth (Edit : plus, they'd get Eichel). They also have another 2nd and three 3rd round picks (could move up to have two 2nds and a 3rd?)

- They can afford to move Brannstrom with Chabot and Sanderson on LD

- They can afford to trade Gustavsson with Murray/Forsberg now and Sogaard/Merilainen in the future.

- They can afford to trade Jarventie as they are stacked in terms of Wingers. I really like Jarventie but you have to give to get.

- Logan Brown is a high end "reclamation project". Covid and injuries made him lose a lot of development. He didn't play much since he was 21 y/o (13 AHL GP, 1 NHL GP). Ottawa can afford to trade him with Eichel, Norris, Pinto and White (etc)

- Tierney is a decent stop gap center for Buffalo (Edit : as they are rebuilding and tanking for high end picks)

I don't think that Ottawa can afford, on the edge of what might be a successful long and very painful rebuild, to go all in on a player with Eichel's health considerations

Reactions: pzeeman

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Feel like Pinto and White would need to be a part of any Eichel trade.

Pinto serves as the Norris of the Eichel deal - centerpiece and potential replacement top 2 center, while White needs to go the other way for cap relief.

I'd offer Pinto + White + all of our Finns (Merilainen, Jarventie, Thomson) + 2022 1st + another 2nd/prospect

It's sad to say it's not happening though. Eichel makes too much sense as an acquisition so naturally we're not interested.

Have you ever stopped to consider it is your own thought process that makes no sense?

By contrast it makes no sense to me whatsoever to go after Jack Eichel

At least consider it plausible that they don't want to touch his health concerns

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
"No way in hell", "team garbage"? "pile of average"? I wanted some opinions but no need to go full emo lol

Eichel wants out, is already paid 10 M$ per year (limits the market, i.e. many teams just can't add another 10 M$ guy, don't have the space or assets), has a pretty serious neck injury and a dispute with his team about it. It's a pretty big fat mess. He will most likely miss a big part of the first season with his new team (only 5 seasons left before UFA)

Buffalo is not going to get a "king's ransom" for him. I know in fantasy land it's always Heiskanen, Hintz, moaar top prospects and a few 1st round picks but in the reality it's Tierney, Norris, Balcers, DeMelo and picks.

It has been reported that Buffalo ask is 4 first round picks...

2022 1st round pick (OTT) : garbage? A 1st round pick in probably one of the best drafts ever? From a team that has been rebuilding the last 4 years and that is currently under the cap floor?

Erik Brannstrom : TSN released a prospect pool in April, EB was ranked 19th. One man's garbage is another man's treasure. The hockey world is still pretty high on Brannstrom. What is said within the small Ottawa fanbase doesn't matter at all.

Filip Gustavsson : another garbage? Gus is seen as a top-5 goalie or at least pretty close to it. This guy will force a team to give him a #1 job in the near future

Roby Jarventie : early 2nd round pick not even 1 year ago, pretty good pro stats for a 18 y/o teenager. Has a deadly shot. A pretty good prospect worth another 1st

2022 2nd round pick (OTT) : a good secondary piece, 2nd round picks in this draft will be sought after assets

Logan Brown : secondary piece, reclamation project center. Pretty good bet to take for a team like Buffalo

Chris Tierney : stop gap veteran, not even a piece in the deal

On any other team it would absolutely hurt to give a 1st in 2022, a 21 y/o D-man like Brannstrom, a top goalie prospect like Gustavsson and a sniper prospect like Jarventie. The Senators can afford this because of the amplitude of the rebuild they went through, they built a strong organizational depth in some positions

Be honest here. The last three pieces of that deal you proposed were lousy. Brown and Tierney aren't pieces any team is looking for, and every team has a couple prospects like Jarventie. Gus is a decent goalie, but goalies aren't worth much at all in trades. The only pieces of value are the 1st round pick...and Brann who is a diminishing asset.

If anyone wants to assemble a trade for a piece like Eichel, you need to add a few pieces (at least 3) that hurt. A lot.

Hell, I don't even want Eichel, but I know Buffalo will demand a helluva lot more than a pile of lousy pieces. You can't just say "hey, here's a first round pick, this package is amazing!!!".

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
It's gonna take me a while to get used to salaries rising in general.

Almost every signing I think 'WOW thats a lot for him!....wait...or is it?'.
It will cost the Sens to keep Zub in another 2 years with the trend with all these D signings.
Demelo looks pretty cheap right now.
We've gone the $ bargain route again filling in our D .. To get a real top 4 now you have to pay for it. If you have experience, can defend and move the puck out cleanly .. you will have no trouble finding a job and you'll get paid. I'd like to see the Sens plan on their D lineup with the timeframe for competing for the cup

Sensfourlife

Aug 22, 2020
WFAN New York is saying Eichel will be a Sen

And why BT contract is taking time they want to play together.

will post a link on my phone trying to find it.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
It's gonna take me a while to get used to salaries rising in general.

Almost every signing I think 'WOW thats a lot for him!....wait...or is it?'.

And then you look at Messi taking a "huge paycut" to make $41 million a year with PSG and realize how small potatoes hockey still is in the sports pecking order.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus

Did they pose it as a rumour or speculation?

jack-eichel-of-the-buffalo-sabres-brady-tkachuk-of-the-ottawa-and-picture-id1201763660

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
And then you look at Messi taking a "huge paycut" to make $41 million a year with PSG and realize how small potatoes hockey still is in the sports pecking order.

Soccer, MLB, NBA and NFL are in another stratosphere compared to the NHL in terms of star player salaries.

But what gets me is the bench player salaries in the NBA. Guys who barely play get 6-7-8M per year. To sit on the bench 85% of the time.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Brady and Eichel would immediately go out for Halloween dressed like Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly from the film "Step Brothers" starring Adam Scott as Derek.

Reactions: ijif

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa

If this happened and depending on the cost, I would need time off work to party if they traded for Eichel and announced long or medium term contracts for Brady and Bath all at the same time. Would be the biggest day Sens fans have had since May 19, 2007 IMO.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
If this happened and depending on the cost, I would need time off work to party if they traded for Eichel and announced long or medium term contracts for Brady and Bath all at the same time. Would be the biggest day Sens fans have had since May 19, 2007 IMO.
I would send an Edible Arrangement to Pierre personally for slagging him off for seemingly doing jack shit all summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad