Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals 2019-20 PART IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Assuming St. Louis will be re-signing Pietrangelo, would anyone here entertain the idea of trading the 5th overall pick to the blues for Colton Parayko? It seems like a lot but I’ve got no doubt he would be worth it.

Hard NOOOOOO !!!! Are you a blues fan ?

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
thats the popular belief ... but the same people wanted EK, MD, EK, RD all/part extended ... it was right to pass on them all.

The problem is they are valuable for 1-? Years but complete boat anchors at some point too. The negative value part of their contracts would perfectly align with FYOUS.
I wanted EK traded at least a year before we did when his value was highest. MD should have never happened and Byram and Bowen should be sens. Zib should be our #1 centre with Stone on the right and Tkachuk on the left. Dzingle was traded at the right time. Add in our 3/5 and we’d be a competitive team. The argument that we wouldn’t have 3 is not valid as trading EK earlier would have yielded even more assets. Oh ya, and Hoffman would be still here with EK gone. We suddenly have a very solid top 6 with zib, stone, Tkatchuk, Byfield/Stutzle,, Hoffman and duclair. Why does this matter? We can start sliding young guys in to the bottom six and not expect them to face off against top nhl talent too early.

the point? Dorian is one of the worst GM’s in hockey. Good amateur scout, horrible with trades and pro scouting.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I wanted EK traded at least a year before we did when his value was highest. MD should have never happened and Byram and Bowen should be sens. Zib should be our #1 centre with Stone on the right and Tkachuk on the left. Dzingle was traded at the right time. Add in our 3/5 and we’d be a competitive team. The argument that we wouldn’t have 3 is not valid as trading EK earlier would have yielded even more assets. Oh ya, and Hoffman would be still here with EK gone. We suddenly have a very solid top 6 with zib, stone, Tkatchuk, Byfield/Stutzle,, Hoffman and duclair. Why does this matter? We can start sliding young guys in to the bottom six and not expect them to face off against top nhl talent too early.

the point? Dorian is one of the worst GM’s in hockey. Good amateur scout, horrible with trades and pro scouting.
Highly unlikely they’d get byfield or stutzle if they had all those players on the roster this year + Karlsson would have likely been traded to Vegas or Tampa meaning the pick would have been very late

Reactions: Sweatred

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

No way, Byram AND Bowen!?

Like Byram Bowen AND Bowen Byram?!

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.

Keyboard warrior knowing all the right moves from the safety of his basement.

And who is Bowen?

Tkachuckycheese

Oilers/Sens
Feb 2, 2016

If you had it your way. Sens wouldn't have Tkachuk, Byfield/Stutzle as well the argument for the 3 is still valid because no way would it be in the 2020 draft if EK was traded earlier like you wanted. Can't have it all. The makeup of the team would of been different right now as well the prospect depth. It's a chain reaction No Norris, Balcers, Abramov, Brannstrom, JBD, Thomson ect. The Sens would still have Ceci in the back and probably extend him THANKSSSSS!

He's not a horrible GM just handcuffed to a shitty owner. After his few rocky trades he learned to not show his cards and has been doing well.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
PD fell into a bucket of XXXX and came out winning a lottery. Genius, I think not.

Not to mention he screwed the team with the Zibby trade. I don't care how good PD is at tearing down a team and getting assets for a rebuild, he is a poor evaluator of established NHL talent. Zibanejad was developing steadily in all the right directions and PD trades him for a mediocre 2nd line centre who's older and isn't better than Zibby in any aspect of the game. Idgaf if we made the conference finals, PD hasn't done anything since then to show he knows how to assemble a winning team.

I've got faith in his drafting and asset obtaining, but I'm definitely in the camp of holding off any praise. PD has had an equal number of bad moves as much as good moves

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I really, really believe that we could package 3 in a solid offer for NYR 1st.

I believe Stutzle or Byfield would be as big a star in NYR as Laf. Especially Stutzle.

It's up to Dorion if he has the balls. We've seen GMs in the past make trades like this. Ballsy trades. I mean, Burke freaking made a series of trades to get 2 and 3 together for Sedin twins--not just 1.

Only reason im adament on Laf is cause I believe he can be the serious face of this franchise on and off the ice. He'd be huge for the team, for the community, and for the press side of things. If it wasnt for the other positives, I would be perfectly fine drafting Stutzle/Byfield instead and keeping the whole other bunch of assets we'd probably part with; especially cause Byfield/Stutz could end up being better themselves.

I don't think Dorion has the balls or demeanor to pull this off though. If we had Burke or like Doug Wilson, i'd be confident 100% Laf would be a Senator.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Given his constraints and the handicap that he has to do his job properly as a GM, and how his lucked flipped on some of trades and some worked out far better than expected (to counter those big misses of his), Dorions doing a fairly good job imo.

Having said that. this draft for Dorion is a make or break one for me. If he and the scouts dont take the right players with those two top 5 picks (ie if the teams picking right after that get notably better players than ours), this will be something that I cannot overlook. And Ill be actively rooting for him to get fired.

I have faith in him and Mann though because they have to know the weight of the importance of these picks. If they arent working around the clock and making use of all this extra time, then they should be.

We are not the Boston Bruins and cant afford to see Barzal and Chabot taken immediately after we take two far worse players. That kind of mistake will sink this little steam boat of ours.

Reactions: NB613 and Sweatred

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It would be damned near impossible for Dorion to screw up these two picks in the top 5. There are legitimately 4-6 kids all in that tier vying for #5, and we simply take whoever is left from Stuzle/Byfield at 3. Dorion would have to go hellishly off the board to mess this up.

Reactions: NB613

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Not that I have anything all that relevant to bring up. I just want to say that this happened 20 years ago. This was long before scouting existed.

True, I feel we have the pieces, and necessary assets possible to make it happen if we fully wished to pursue this option. Even as an overpayment.

P.S. good seeing you post again on here

It would be damned near impossible for Dorion to screw up these two picks in the top 5. There are legitimately 4-6 kids all in that tier vying for #5, and we simply take whoever is left from Stuzle/Byfield at 3. Dorion would have to go hellishly off the board to mess this up.

Eh... I don't know about that. I think the top 8 are for sure NHLers but at what capacity. That's the pressure on Dorion to nail.

This draft reminds me so much of the 2015 draft without the absurd top 2(Laf could be Eichel level tho). or 2013 drafts.

However, are we gonna get Hanifin level player or Marner? Strome or Rantanen? Drouin or Lindholm? Nurse or Seth Jones? One thing I heavily believe in, there will be 4-5 stars(legit top line F or number 1 D)or superstars in the top 8. Are we gonna get 0? 1? 2?

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

I believe Stutzle or Byfield would be as big a star in NYR as Laf. Especially Stutzle.

It's up to Dorion if he has the balls. We've seen GMs in the past make trades like this. Ballsy trades. I mean, Burke freaking made a series of trades to get 2 and 3 together for Sedin twins--not just 1.

Only reason im adament on Laf is cause I believe he can be the serious face of this franchise on and off the ice. He'd be huge for the team, for the community, and for the press side of things. If it wasnt for the other positives, I would be perfectly fine drafting Stutzle/Byfield instead and keeping the whole other bunch of assets we'd probably part with; especially cause Byfield/Stutz could end up being better themselves.

I don't think Dorion has the balls or demeanor to pull this off though. If we had Burke or like Doug Wilson, i'd be confident 100% Laf would be a Senator.

I hope Dorion has the balls and demeanor to stay the course and draft 3 and 5.

You've not presented anything to support why he should trade up or what he should give up to do so. By all accounts Lafreniere is a tier below the super elite young players of the past few years. Guy like Nate Mck, Matthews, Eichel. So if he's below that how much of a gap is there between what he will be and an average 1st liner? I think the situation here is Lafreniere has a very high floor but a couple guts could equal him in ceiling

Huge for the community? For the press? First off that's just kind of made up...how huge? What's the difference between being huge fir the press and average for the press? Or the community? Secondly being huge for the community doesn't win hockey games. Winning hockey games is the biggest thing this team can do for the community.

We can all believe what we want. Personally i don't believe giving away a rumoured boat load of assets to acquire Lafreniere is the right move.

And if Lafreniere had a ceiling in the Matthews Euchel MacKinnon tier.... acquiring him would be a non issue because no team would consider moving him

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
People need to stop retrospectively complaining about zib. He signed for $5.3M. That's what he was worth when he signed. Nobody predicted he would break out like he has. If they had, that contract wouldn't exist.

We watched him for years here. He was a good player but was also invisible a lot of nights. I don't recall anybody here predicting this kind of ceiling for him.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017

Doesn’t matter who the GM is. The price to get 1st would be ridiculous and wouldn’t make sense for either team.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
PD fell into a bucket of XXXX and came out winning a lottery. Genius, I think not.
Lol he made a trade that everyone said there was no way he could win. He won it. By hook or by crook or by f***ing genius. What does it matter. The ONLY way you win these sorts of things is by luck.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
People need to stop retrospectively complaining about zib. He signed for $5.3M. That's what he was worth when he signed. Nobody predicted he would break out like he has. If they had, that contract wouldn't exist.

We watched him for years here. He was a good player but was also invisible a lot of nights. I don't recall anybody here predicting this kind of ceiling for him.
Lots of people here expected him to breakout. I was NOT one of them. I called those people silly. I was wrong. So were you it seems. Don’t say “no one expected it” just because you didn’t.

Reactions: h2owned and Ed Wood

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Lots of people here expected him to breakout. I was NOT one of them. I called those people silly. I was wrong. So were you it seems. Don’t say “no one expected it” just because you didn’t.
No, he’s right. Nobody expected this level from him. That being said I don’t think this is the norm for him. He had a peak outlier season. He will revert back to 70-80

Reactions: Fenix Rises 2026

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
thats the popular belief ... but the same people wanted EK, MD, EK, RD all/part extended ... it was right to pass on them all.

The problem is they are valuable for 1-? Years but complete boat anchors at some point too. The negative value part of their contracts would perfectly align with FYOUS.

Some, but not all, become boat anchors in the sense that their contribution (scoring stats, defensive capabilities, leadership, etc.) declines to the point where their salary does not reflect their performance. I don’t think it was “right” to pass on them all.

FYOUS is a PR gambit of a desperate owner with declining financial assets. The Senator’s issue is that the owner was not financially able to pay the higher salaries for the UFAs and instructed his lackey to trade them for whatever he could get, resulting in FYOUS and proudest day! Contributing to this “strategy” was the Heatley experience.

We are left with a bottom quartile team, with few quality veterans, LTIR players to get to the salary cap minimum, mediocre vets playing in positions above their grade, and a few young prospects and future draft picks. So it is called a “rebuild”. It is really “the dark side”.

Fans are left with “hope for the future”.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
This is a terrible idea. The blues were a one off who just got bounced from the playoffs. They sucked half the year they won the Stanley cup and trying to replicate that type of half season team has no chance of predictable success. Find a better way.

I agree: Steen is not the solution, even in the short run.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
No, he’s right. Nobody expected this level from him. That being said I don’t think this is the norm for him. He had a peak outlier season. He will revert back to 70-80

Zibanejad was a better solution than Brassard. Expectations were still positive that Zib would improve, but Brassard was over-the-hill heading downward. Adding a pick to that trade was a second fleece job of the Melnyk lackey.

Reactions: NB613

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Yes, the Senators could make a “solid” offer for the #1 OA pick. I would retain pick #3 and make a solid offer using pick #5 plus other assets including any of the other picks we have this draft including NYI and second rounders (all of them) and any 1 or 2 of our AHL players and current contracted players (Brannstrom, Bernard-Docker, Thomson, L. Brown, etc.) who are lower end first round picks without the same potential as Lafreniere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad