Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals 2019-20 PART IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I was responding to your comment that Brannstrom did very well in the AHL. There have been quite a few players in the AHL who have done very well there but not able to play in the NHL. Wideman is one example we are familiar with.

I don’t think Brannstrom is the type of Defenseman we need to do well in the NHL. I would trade him in a package if I could get a superior player or higher draft pick.

But Wideman did very well in the AHL at an age where he should have been in the NHL. It's not really a valid comparison.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
At what price though? He aint coming for free, he doesnt fit into the age group of the core and he is going to be UFA before the team starts competing. To me it makes no sense to aquire him. The sens just traded all their players his age, seems redundant to go after a player in the same age group. Are they commited to the rebuild or not? This team needs direction, going through the missery we just went through for nothing would turn me off completely as a fan.

I think the team is quite committed to the rebuild and I've posted a few times on that recently

There's a lot of zany trade proposals in here, but other than the possibility of using draft assets to move up in the draft, there's nothing from the team indicating they are looking at the types of trades being proposed in here

I'll be quite surprised if this is the off season where they start using draft assets and prospects to acquire nhl talent unless we're talking abusing another team due to their cap space issues

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think the team is quite committed to the rebuild and I've posted a few times on that recently

There's a lot of zany trade proposals in here, but other than the possibility of using draft assets to move up in the draft, there's nothing from the team indicating they are looking at the types of trades being proposed in here

I'll be quite surprised if this is the off season where they start using draft assets and prospects to acquire nhl talent unless we're talking abusing another team due to their cap space issues
I didnt say they would, was just describing why it makes no sense. I have heard they are looking to move the Islanders pick for a young player though.

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018
I can accept “some” but “all” NHL teams would not make an offer.

If that were true, we would get an excellent prospect in return.

All NHL teams in this case is no stretch. Again, highly regarded prospect at a critical position on a two way deal. Every team would make an offer. You may not like the offer but every team would make an offer.

Bottom line is a top ranked guy on a two-way deal is perfect for teams. Either he makes the team or you can put him in the minors without worries of waivers to develop.

Brannstrom is not some scrub like Chlapik or Jaros. He carries value.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
I didnt say they would, was just describing why it makes no sense. I have heard they are looking to move the Islanders pick for a young player though.
Pulju have 10 pts in two pre game. Would be a good target

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
It’s sad that a cup dump will be our second best defender lol

GrandPinkCopperhead-max-1mb.gif

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
All NHL teams in this case is no stretch. Again, highly regarded prospect at a critical position on a two way deal. Every team would make an offer. You may not like the offer but every team would make an offer.

Bottom line is a top ranked guy on a two-way deal is perfect for teams. Either he makes the team or you can put him in the minors without worries of waivers to develop.

Brannstrom is not some scrub like Chlapik or Jaros. He carries value.

It would not surprise me in the least if both Chlapik & Jaros get more ice time in Ottawa next season than Brannstrom. They at least could find playing time in the bottom six & 3rd pairing unlike Brannstrom where I don't see room for him.

And let's not forget that PD acquired another defenceman in Zub who could also play ahead of him & take ice time away from him in Ottawa if he turns out to be a decent defender. He's older which probably means he has more experience, more physically mature & will most certainly be given a chance to see what they have.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
What has he done ???To not warrant some critics??

From what I've seen, some posters here want to dangle him as a trading piece already under the belief that his value will never be higher than it is now. He's 20 years old, so I'm not so sure that kind of criticism is warranted yet.

If we're here a year from now and the progression isn't evident, then the discussion probably changes.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
From what I've seen, some posters here want to dangle him as a trading piece already under the belief that his value will never be higher than it is now. He's 20 years old, so I'm not so sure that kind of criticism is warranted yet.

If we're here a year from now and the progression isn't evident, then the discussion probably changes.
If we are here a year from now we will only have a small bust PMD, and whatever we draft with a 2nd rounder...

For one of the very best RW in the game in his 20,s locked up for 8 years....Not saying its Bran,s fault,but PD should be fired if he doesnt pan out

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

But his value would take a hit if progression isn't evident

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
But his value would take a hit if progression isn't evident

I'll try and be clearer: I'm high on Brannstrom. I think he is too talented to not increase his value over the next year.

In the scenario where he is passed on the depth chart by guys like Jaros, then I agree with topshelf. But imo it's too early to make the conclusion that he will never be worth more than he is now.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Yes Dorion’s comment is now irrelevant with respect to Brannstrom; however, it is relevant with respect to Dorion.

Fans hated EK deal... 1 year plus later the EK deal makes PD look like a genius. I would caution anyone suggesting PD is a fool because of the Stone deal. Lots of time for Brann to outperform Stone not to mention the 2RD pick or the negative value Stone likely has coming.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
Fans hated EK deal... 1 year plus later the EK deal makes PD look like a genius. I would caution anyone suggesting PD is a fool because of the Stone deal. Lots of time for Brann to outperform Stone not to mention the 2RD pick or the negative value Stone likely has coming.

I say, lets not compare Brannstrom with Stone at all. I personally want to see all the success in the world for Stone in the coming years. He's a great guy, plays hard, and is on a team that doesn't have much conflict with the Sens.

Comparing Branny to Stone is also just not fair for Bran at this point either. Stone, is a top winger in this league and I expect he will be for the forseeable future, I don't really see any negative value in his immediate future.

Lets have Brannstrom build his identity without the expectations of who he came here for. If he can become a defensemen with a (+) first pass, a defensemen who generates solid possession numbers, a guy who can lead out 2nd pairing PP from the blue line, and a guy who is capable in the defensive zone then i'll be happy with Brannstrom and he'll be a huge addition to our team. A core piece.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013

Honest question and this isnt looking to start a fight or anything

If San Jose didnt completely fall off a cliff this year what would you think of the EK deal?

Because for me that is the only reason the trade looks decent and even then its because of the mystery box hype of byfield/stu. Hopefully they perform but that that is the only reason the trade actually looks decent imo. I could be wrong maybe people have other views

That being said I do agree about Bran. Dorion can scout younger players/prospects (the one thing I think sens fans agree on haha) and he is still very young so lots of time for him to develop.

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa

If San Jose didnt completely fall off a cliff this year what would you think of the EK deal?

Because for me that is the only reason the trade looks decent and even then its because of the mystery box hype of byfield/stu. Hopefully they perform but that that is the only reason the trade actually looks decent imo. I could be wrong maybe people have other views

That being said I do agree about Bran. Dorion can scout younger players/prospects (the one thing I think sens fans agree on haha) and he is still very young so lots of time for him to develop.

It's an interesting question. Obviously the 3rd overall pick is a huge reason why the trade looks so good, but I think the other reason would sadly be EK himself. Though still an insanely positive player, when you look at the contract he'll have for the next however many years, and the unfortunate downward trend he's be going down for the last little bit (injuries, high mileage, defensive issues, etc), it does make a return of even a mid 20s 1st + Norris + Tierney + Melo + Balcers + whatever else seem at least decent.

Though I'm still going to give EK the benefit of the doubt that he'll find ways to remain an insanely effective player for the duration of his contract. He's just too smart of a player not too and he still has immense abilities despite his unfortunate injury mishaps. Will it be up to the value of his contract though?I personally don't think so, but he'll still be really really good!

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

hard to evaluate because SJ could of won the Cup this year and pick #31 could be the best pick of the draft. And Byfield / Stuz might not even be our best 1st round pick. Might not even be our best 2020 pick

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I'll try and be clearer: I'm high on Brannstrom. I think he is too talented to not increase his value over the next year.

In the scenario where he is passed on the depth chart by guys like Jaros, then I agree with topshelf. But imo it's too early to make the conclusion that he will never be worth more than he is now.
fair enough. very valid opinion

Reactions: Pocket Dog

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

I’m glad we’re not paying EK $11.5/year for 8 years ... so absolutely it’s still a great deal regardless of the SJ pick.

I wouldn’t trade a 2ND RD pick right now for EK’s contract so all that other stuff is pure bonus(Byfield, Norris etc).

Last edited:

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown

It would still be better than I originally thought because Norris looks more promising than he did at the time. This upcoming season would give us a better idea of how Balcers and Abramov will turn out. But if the pick, in this very promising draft, was middle of the pack at #16, it would be a win. The Karlsson contract, with a flat cap, is a huge albatross, unless he stays healthy and productive over the next few years, which seems unlikely.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Hard to truly judge until the dust all settles.

Canucks were accused of badly mismanaging their goalies years ago, but in hindsight they got Luongo and Schneiders best years. They squeezed the lemon and now theyre up 3-2 on the Blues with Markstrom and Horvat as two of their best players, both coming from those trades. In hindsight, they played it almost perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad