Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals 2019-20 PART IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Rarely does a team ever need to make a deal. They choose to because its in their best interest. That doesn't mean that because it's in their best interest they are 100% satisfied.
It’s in the Rangers best interest to take a deal that they are 100% satisfied with and nothing less.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Ya ... I think it’s highly unlikely too ... but I think they are debating it. IMO this isn’t a consensus #1OA dream selection for the Rangers like McDavid, Crosby, or even LAF in Ottawa.

They can’t just snap their fingers and add a 1-2C or 1-2Dman. They are an attractive destination for players but they are still challenged to fill holes and they will be cap heavy down the road.
I doubt the Rangers are interested in drafting and developing a top pairing D since their window is opening now. Laf gives them a 1-2 LW punch that is awesome. Laf is the most NHL ready elite player in the draft and should contribute to winning immediately. Their need for a 2LC is also exaggerated with Strome coming off a really good season and Chytil. They also have pick 23-24 as well and should be able to grab Barron or Schneider to add to existing D prospects. They could also be a dark horse for Pietrangelo if they can get out of Hank’s last year.

Reactions: aragorn

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Well thats certainly not true unless, but agree to disagree i guess.
How could it not be true? Rangers have a unique asset that they don’t need to trade under any circumstances. They name the price. If they don’t get the price, the result is they take Laf 1st overall. Rangers win with either no deal or a deal in their favor.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
How could it not be true? Rangers have a unique asset that they don’t need to trade under any circumstances. They name the price. If they don’t get the price, the result is they take Laf 1st overall. Rangers win with either no deal or a deal in their favor.
Its not true because there are likely trade scenarios that make them a better team then if it they don't make the trade that don't fulfill all their desires. Almost No trade would ever happen if teams only made deals they were 100% satisfied with.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Its not true because there are likely trade scenarios that make them a better team then if it they don't make the trade that don't fulfill all their desires. Almost No trade would ever happen if teams only made deals they were 100% satisfied with.
The player that makes them the best at this point is Laf. We have prospects and we have the means and wherewithal to make other deals to fill our needs. I also still haven’t heard a compelling argument for why the Rangers have to accept a deal that they wouldn’t be satisfied with for an asset they aren’t trading. Seems like wishful thinking on other teams parts.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
There's no way the Rangers trade the first overall pick for anything less than a sure thing.

If Florida called them and said Barkov was on the table - they listen. If Ottawa calls them and says they'd trade Tkachuk or Chabot plus - they're intrigued.

A package of "maybe's" like #5, Brannstrom, Brown, etc? No way.

Reactions: SensFactor

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The player that makes them the best at this point is Laf. We have prospects and we have the means and wherewithal to make other deals to fill our needs. I also still haven’t heard a compelling argument for why the Rangers have to accept a deal that they wouldn’t be satisfied with for an asset they aren’t trading. Seems like wishful thinking on other teams parts.
They don't have to make any deal just like the sens have no need to make a deal. Personally, if rather hold on to Ottawa's picks and prospects, outside of a lowball offer like the Branstrom brown and 5th deal there hasn't been any compelling reason for ottawa to make a move. I'd rather keep 5th oa (lets say Drysdale), Norris who projects as a real good every situation top 6 center/winger, Batherson who projects as a real good top 6 RW, and whoever we can draft with the NYI pick. It becomes an easier decision if its 3rd oa instead of 5th.

Ultimately, if NYR feel their top 6 and top 4 are already filled with players and prospects beyond what Ottawa can or is willing to offer, they are better of sticking with what they've got, i just think there is some grey area between an overpayment of 3+5 vs a deal closer to fair value that could benefit both teams.

So instead of shutting down conversation with nothing but overpayment is acceptable, maybe explore the NYRs needs going forward and see if there is a package that both fulfils that and isn't either a low ball or wild overpayment?

In the end, while you see offers proposed here as wishfull thinking, "at least 3+5, and likely even that isn't enough" is the pinnacle of wishful thinking. Outside of Lindros, i don't think there is any historical comparible that even approaches that, and Lafreniere is not Lindros.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Well now the Pens don't have a 1st in 2020 or 2021. Bet their asking price for Murray is a 1st.

If the Isles make the ECF/SCF I'd be willing to look at throwing their 1st (28-31) their way for Murray.

Reactions: Crosside

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
They don't have to make any deal just like the sens have no need to make a deal. Personally, if rather hold on to Ottawa's picks and prospects, outside of a lowball offer like the Branstrom brown and 5th deal there hasn't been any compelling reason for ottawa to make a move. I'd rather keep 5th oa (lets say Drysdale), Norris who projects as a real good every situation top 6 center/winger, Batherson who projects as a real good top 6 RW, and whoever we can draft with the NYI pick. It becomes an easier decision if its 3rd oa instead of 5th.

Ultimately, if NYR feel their top 6 and top 4 are already filled with players and prospects beyond what Ottawa can or is willing to offer, they are better of sticking with what they've got, i just think there is some grey area between an overpayment of 3+5 vs a deal closer to fair value that could benefit both teams.

So instead of shutting down conversation with nothing but overpayment is acceptable, maybe explore the NYRs needs going forward and see if there is a package that both fulfils that and isn't either a low ball or wild overpayment?

In the end, while you see offers proposed here as wishfull thinking, "at least 3+5, and likely even that isn't enough" is the pinnacle of wishful thinking. Outside of Lindros, i don't think there is any historical comparible that even approaches that, and Lafreniere is not Lindros.

A package that would fill our needs would be either Laf or the overpayment of an offer. An underpayment fills zero needs. The Rangers also don’t need to use this asset to fill their needs. At all. And I think maybe that’s the disconnect here. The Rangers have stockpiling assets and picks for years now. They have an additional pick in this draft as well. So not only do they not need to trade the 1st overall in general, they certainly don’t need to trade it to fill needs which they can do elsewhere.

It would be wishful thinking if I thought they were gonna trade that pick, but they won’t be because A)they want to draft Laf and 2)no team would want to trade what it would cost. The Rangers are gonna pick at one and the Senators will pick 3+5.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
This hits nothing on our list. There is no way in hell you're getting that pick without at least 3+5, and likely even that isn't enough.

So the Rangers are not looking for a top 2 center, a top pairing LS defender, a 2nd pairing dman who can play either side, and another 1st round pick. Weird because that’s what was described to me.
but I certainly appreciate your insight, thanks for stopping by.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
So the Rangers are not looking for a top 2 center, a top pairing LS defender, a 2nd pairing dman who can play either side, and another 1st round pick. Weird because that’s what was described to me.
but I certainly appreciate your insight, thanks for stopping by.
We’re looking to draft Lafreniere 1st overall. We’ll fill out the rest of our needs via trading other assets or free agency.

Reactions: Wondercarrot

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Well now the Pens don't have a 1st in 2020 or 2021. Bet their asking price for Murray is a 1st.

If the Isles make the ECF/SCF I'd be willing to look at throwing their 1st (28-31) their way for Murray.
Much muchhhh rather Jarry at a lesser cost.

I have no interest in giving up a 1st for a goalie with an injury history, declining play and that needs to be paid based off of his prior achievements on a great team.

No thanks.

Reactions: GCK
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad