Rumor: Trade rumours/Proposals 2018-2019 (Part 13)

Status
Not open for further replies.

West Coast Eagles

Sep 24, 2008
Bne
To answer your point a bit more seriously, I think we'd all like to have a more concrete plan. But we're not going to get it for two reasons:

1. This team has shown itself time and again to be more reactive than proactive. They don't have a plan; they make moves and decisions spur of the moment with limited foresight.
2. Even if there were a plan, I don't think they'd share it with the fanbase. When was the last time a rebuilding team gave a concrete blueprint to its fanbase?

Agree on point 1, which is a huge problem in my eyes and compromises any ability to "trust" them.
Point 2, not asking for something concrete, just a reasonably honest and realistic assessment of a few key points. At least then I could have some confidence in their ability to actually assess things.

To honestly address your points:

1. I don't think it's possible to plan 5 years down the road in this league. I think the evolution of the game is relatively unpredictable.

2. Similarly, I don't really think it's possible to get particularly precise when it comes to a timeline. I'm thinking 4-5 years before we have a shot at the playoff picture. We have some good pieces but nothing like the franchise guys that were drafted by other bottom-dwellers. So we're already behind because we don't have a shot at one this year. Team management used 2021 as their target which to me is still very optimistic.

3. Thus, the only way to effectively build for the future is to simply pick the best player available at that particular point in the draft. Either that player fits in on your team or is an asset you can trade later on.

4. However, to show that you are serious about rebuilding (if that is the plan), it means paying for scouts and player development. It means opening up the wallet for costs associated with those activities, which includes salaries and travel dollars. If you are serious about your plan you have to be prepared to put money behind it.

5. If they don't significantly increase scouting and player development funding then it's easier to regard this "rebuild" as a convenient way to disguise slashing and burning the budget.

1. Fair point but the thing is they don't have to be right here. It just demonstrates some long term planning and working towards a goal.

2. A realistic parametric assessment is ok here too. For instance, we have looked at other teams that have gone through this process successfully and it usually takes x years. I agree with the 4-5 year assessment. BUT this then contradicts the FYOUS statement so show me some thought instead of flying by the seat of your pants.

3. Agree but there could still be some semblance of using an existing model. However, depending on what you value, the rankings of who is BPA would change.

4 & 5. 100%. My biggest issue currently.

West Coast Eagles

Sep 24, 2008
Bne
Oh, absolutely. I completely understand your ask here.

I'm just saying that between Melnyk (an egomaniac who does not react well to bad news), Dorion (a hype man who can't say a bad word about anyone and seemingly is far too timid to ever put his neck on the line by committing to anything publicly), and Ruszkowski (a sniveling, weasely two-faced coward who purposely obfuscates criticism and actively promotes misinformation at nearly every public opportunity)... it's just never going to happen.
Yep. And then we arrive back to the point of why should customers continue to support a product if, in my mind, a completely reasonable request from your customers is ignored.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Agree on point 1, which is a huge problem in my eyes and compromises any ability to "trust" them.
Point 2, not asking for something concrete, just a reasonably honest and realistic assessment of a few key points. At least then I could have some confidence in their ability to actually assess things.

1. Fair point but the thing is they don't have to be right here. It just demonstrates some long term planning and working towards a goal.

2. A realistic parametric assessment is ok here too. For instance, we have looked at other teams that have gone through this process successfully and it usually takes x years. I agree with the 4-5 year assessment. BUT this then contradicts the FYOUS statement so show me some thought instead of flying by the seat of your pants.

3. Agree but there could still be some semblance of using an existing model. However, depending on what you value, the rankings of who is BPA would change.

4 & 5. 100%. My biggest issue currently.

I think they thought no way stone turns down 10.5, FYOUS

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
The potential losses from ticket sales and the damage that will be done to our prospects by this probably outweigh the savings Melnyk gets.
Give him 13 mil per,for 5 years...At this point it really doesnt matter,we dont have anything troubling in terms of contracts coming up in that time span

Reactions: Clayonator

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Damn no laine. ;(

Good deal for jets. They are going to be tough. Watch them get knocked out in the first round now.

devbouz12

Eugene's dad
Jan 15, 2012
So jets are off the table for Stone I think. Still don't like the flames as a trading partner. Prefer Nashville and NYI's cupboards.

Reactions: Icelevel

Cat Herder

Formerly BigSensFan
Sep 21, 2006
Belle River,On
So question to Sens fans (I asked this on Twitter)

Lets say the Sens decide not to trade Stone and go all in to try and re-sign him after the deadline. They fail to do so and Stone walks for nothing.

Are we ok for the possible scenario if they do not trade him today? (i.e. we are given a little hope that they are trying).

I am not sure Stone wants to be here under Melnyk (not sure many do) so I do not know if the Sens can sign Stone even if the numbers are exactly what Stone wants

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Lets say the Sens decide not to trade Stone and go all in to try and re-sign him after the deadline. They fail to do so and Stone walks for nothing.

Are we ok for the possible scenario if they do not trade him today? (i.e. we are given a little hope that they are trying).

I am not sure Stone wants to be here under Melnyk (not sure many do) so I do not know if the Sens can sign Stone even if the numbers are exactly what Stone wants
No. That would be beyond idiotic.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007

He has to be either traded or re-signed today. They cannot take the chance of doing nothing before the deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad