Rumor: Trade rumours/Proposals 2018-2019 (Part 13)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
You mean like Karlsson? Or Stone? Or Duchene?
Sure, I'd prefer to have those three, but this team lacks foresight, so at some point they'll come to the realization that they've put themselves in a position where they can pay a guy like Laine what he's worth, or trade for Lucic.

West Coast Eagles

Sep 24, 2008
Bne
I think I speak for almost everyone here when I say:

eye-roll-2.gif
I actually want to hear the plan because I havent actually heard one from this org yet. I want to hear a real plan. All I have heard is buzzwords and contrived mission statements/corporate rubbish.
For instance things I want to hear in the plan:
Vision of where we think the league will be in 5 years (speed, will it revert to a heavy league etc.)
Assessment of current org status: strengths, weaknesses etc
Team makeup: based on the above vision, what time are we trying to build? Big/fast/workman whatever. I dont want some shit here either like that combines all possible elements into a god tier dream team. Realistically we will have to make some sacrifices. If we go fast, its likely we are smaller etc.
What is the timeline? Based on some evidence. Surely these people doing the plan have some stats, ie. It takes x years for a f/d/g taken in a x round to turn into the player we expect. This should then inform trade targets/draft philosophy

Now I'm not saying this needs to be comprehensive as I'm sure there are elements in the plan that need to remain I'm the org but the above 3 arent really telling anyone things that would cause damage being in the public space.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I actually want to hear the plan because I havent actually heard one from this org yet. I want to hear a real plan. All I have heard is buzzwords and contrived mission statements/corporate rubbish.
Vision of where we think the league will be in 5 years (speed, will it revert to a heavy league etc.)
Team makeup: based on the above vision, what time are we trying to build? Big/fast/workman whatever. I dont want some **** here either like that combines all possible elements into a god tier dream team. Realistically we will have to make some sacrifices. If we go fast, its likely we are smaller etc.
What is the timeline? Based on some evidence. Surely these people doing the plan have some stats, ie. It takes x years for a f/d/g taken in a x round to turn into the player we expect. This should then inform trade targets/draft philosophy

Now I'm not saying this needs to be comprehensive as I'm sure there are elements in the plan that need to remain I'm the org but the above 3 arent really telling anyone things that would cause damage being in the public space.
You're missing the headline, though! Five years of unparalleled success!!!

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
5 hours, come on Pierre get it done.

It's going to go right down to the wire. In fact, I think the Stone trade won't break until after the 3PM deadline.

Gotta wait for the Jets to cave and add Mason Appleton into the deal.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Assessment of current org status: strengths, weaknesses etc
Team makeup: based on the above vision, what time are we trying to build? Big/fast/workman whatever. I dont want some **** here either like that combines all possible elements into a god tier dream team. Realistically we will have to make some sacrifices. If we go fast, its likely we are smaller etc.

I actually have some inside information regarding the plan.

Phase 1 - Trade away top players for picks, prospects and warm bodies to fill out the roster.

Phase 2 - ???????????????

Phase 3 - 5 years of unparalleled success.

West Coast Eagles

Sep 24, 2008
Bne
Don't want to derail the thread wrt talking about a plan (sorry mods) but am I asking too much in my previous? I really feel like I am not but maybe I am out to lunch.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Vision of where we think the league will be in 5 years

"Admiring our run of unprecedented success" said Pierre Dorion, before turning to Melnyk and smiling like a jagoff.

"I want to take this opportunity to reassure our loyal fans that the Ottawa Senators are confident in my ability to build the very best team I can, and that our team will reflect the very best of what makes a championship team click
"

What is the timeline?

"As we have previously stated, we are planning on committing to five years of unprecedented success starting in 2021, when we will commit to spending whatever it takes to get near the cap ceiling."

There you go. Answered all your questions in true Sens Management style.

Reactions: inthewings

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Laine has 108 goals before his 21st birthday and is an RFA who just saw what Matthews got.

Tierny has 47 goals and is turning 25
Same player
;)
In fact we all know senators would prefer Tierney cause he’s cheaper.

West Coast Eagles

Sep 24, 2008
Bne
"Admiring our run of unprecedented success" said Pierre Dorion, before turning to Melnyk and smiling like a jagoff.

"I want to take this opportunity to reassure our loyal fans that the Ottawa Senators are confident in my ability to build the very best team I can, and that our team will reflect the very best of what makes a championship team click
"

"As we have previously stated, we are planning on committing to five years of unprecedented success starting in 2021, when we will commit to spending whatever it takes to get near the cap ceiling."

There you go. Answered all your questions in true Sens Management style.
As you already know, that isn't a plan I can have confidence because it lacks any critical evidence or demonstrates any analysis. It is the same thing as the consistent message I have received - "just trust us"
You know the point I am trying to make.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
As you already know, that isn't a plan I can have confidence because it lacks any critical evidence or demonstrates any analysis. It is the same thing as the consistent message I have received - "just trust us"
To answer your point a bit more seriously, I think we'd all like to have a more concrete plan. But we're not going to get it for two reasons:

1. This team has shown itself time and again to be more reactive than proactive. They don't have a plan; they make moves and decisions spur of the moment with limited foresight.
2. Even if there were a plan, I don't think they'd share it with the fanbase. When was the last time a rebuilding team gave a concrete blueprint to its fanbase?

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Laine has 108 goals before his 21st birthday and is an RFA who just saw what Matthews got.

Tierny has 47 goals and is turning 25

Yet he has 40 points and is a minus 1billion on a stacked team. Yes he is the better player but 11? Lol Canadian teams get screwed on contract day

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Don't want to derail the thread wrt talking about a plan (sorry mods) but am I asking too much in my previous? I really feel like I am not but maybe I am out to lunch.

To honestly address your points:

1. I don't think it's possible to plan 5 years down the road in this league. I think the evolution of the game is relatively unpredictable.

2. Similarly, I don't really think it's possible to get particularly precise when it comes to a timeline. I'm thinking 4-5 years before we have a shot at the playoff picture. We have some good pieces but nothing like the franchise guys that were drafted by other bottom-dwellers. So we're already behind because we don't have a shot at one this year. Team management used 2021 as their target which to me is still very optimistic.

3. Thus, the only way to effectively build for the future is to simply pick the best player available at that particular point in the draft. Either that player fits in on your team or is an asset you can trade later on.

4. However, to show that you are serious about rebuilding (if that is the plan), it means paying for scouts and player development. It means opening up the wallet for costs associated with those activities, which includes salaries and travel dollars. If you are serious about your plan you have to be prepared to put money behind it.

5. If they don't significantly increase scouting and player development funding then it's easier to regard this "rebuild" as a convenient way to disguise slashing and burning the budget.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Oh, absolutely. I completely understand your ask here.

I'm just saying that between Melnyk (an egomaniac who does not react well to bad news), Dorion (a hype man who can't say a bad word about anyone and seemingly is far too timid to ever put his neck on the line by committing to anything publicly), and Ruszkowski (a sniveling, weasely two-faced coward who purposely obfuscates criticism and actively promotes misinformation at nearly every public opportunity)... it's just never going to happen.

Reactions: West Coast Eagles

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I didn't like the Jets pieces that much. Kinda glad they are out. I prefer Calgary and Vegas as options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig