Rumor: Trade rumours/Proposals 2018-2019 (Part 13)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Once again, Bruce is way off. I wouldn't presume to speak for the whole fanbase, but I'm personally fine with a rebuild. My issue doesn't lie with the plan, or even a lack thereof. It's more in the fact that we're selling off players at their peak, retaining no established talent, and being asked to be patient. We've been patient. This is not a rebuild – it's a referendum on the faith the fanbase has in this management team to execute a rebuild. And that referendum is coming up overwhelmingly negative.

Good post.

I'll add that whenever Dorion says something that sounds like "the plan", it becomes contradicted by reality within a few months / weeks / days. Eg his claim last summer after signing Stone to the 1 year contract that they were "close" to a long term deal. Even more recently, his press conference on Friday where he identified Ceci as one of the veterans on the team who would help guide the young players during the rebuild ... followed 48 hours later by sitting Ceci out!

In reality the Senators "plan" is to just keep doing random crap based on the most immediate developments.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Yikes! Too much for Laine. A signed Stone (to me, anyways) is equal to Laine.
Can afford to overpay (not sure it’s much of an overpayment anyway) in this case.
Getting laine might actually keep Sens fans interested and...happy?ish

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
It's the 6 year difference that does it.

Laine also has potential to surpass Stone as a player.
Goal scoring wise, sure. Overall as a complete player? I don't think so, but that's just my opinion.

In order for him to maximize his skills he would need a high IQ playmaker

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Laine is going to ask for ~11 million this year on a long term deal, that's not realistic for the Sens

If we cannot sign Stone, it doesn't make sense to expect us to trade for Laine and then sign him.

Most applicable scenario would be Laine to a third team in order to put the Jets in a position asset where they are more comfortable meeting our ask on Stone.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Laine is probably in a position to ask for hefty bonuses in his contract, so we'd have the same problem with him as we did with Stone.

He'd be a prime offer sheet target if he were Sens property.

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
But how can Laine excel here with no playmaker to get him the puck?
Laine-Brown-Batherson

Ooooh weeeee
(I know it’s not realistic at this point but I need this right now :) )

Tkachuk-Norris-Abramov
Formenton-White-Duclair

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Laine is probably in a position to ask for hefty bonuses in his contract, so we'd have the same problem with him as we did with Stone.

He'd be a prime offer sheet target if he were Sens property.

A team could offer him something in the 8 million per season for 4 year range, front load it as much as possible and fill it with signing bonuses. He'd give up zero UFA years and it would get him out of the nightmare that is being an Ottawa Senators. The compensation would be a 1st/2nd/3rd.

The Jets would obviously match that, but a team with financial constraints like us might not be able/willing to.

Reactions: Ouroboros
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad