Rumor: Trade rumours/Proposals 2018-2019 (Part 10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
This whole damn thing sucks,who the hell is going to score for this team???We all know we will get few late 1st,s and a couple of meh prospects...None of whom will come close to the level of the players we are moving,this rebuild is going to take years

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
The league is becoming one where you pay the stars right out of their ELC. Will be interesting to see what Chabot is looking for
5 years and a ton of bonus money up front ,like Matthews....After watching what his GM and owner have done with other high profile players for this team...I wouldnt be giving them any deals

Reactions: Bean Drown

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Tbh I'd rather not wait too long to trade them. Interest might falter and the offers may get worse.

Or other teams may move on in the fear of losing out on others and not only on Stone and Duchene.

I mean if another team comes calling, eventually the teams who are interested in Stone/Duchenee are going to have to consider it.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Sens aren't signing stone

They just want ppl to think we can still sign stone and therefore force someone's itchy trigger finger ie Winnipeg

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Sens aren't signing stone

They just want ppl to think we can still sign stone and therefore force someone's itchy trigger finger ie Winnipeg
Wasn't it just last week that Stone was put on the back burner and the the was completely focused on Duchene? The Stone negotiations were not going anywhere and all the "insiders" said how it wasn't gonna happen with Stone. Then within 7 days things completely changed?? It's all a load of crap to drive prices and to try temper than fanbase outrage.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
A word that caught me in the description of Sens re-opening contract talks with Stone was that they were going to get "creative".

What does that mean?

Could we see something like a 2-3 year contract at a huge over-payment money wise, like max salary?

Gives Stone a chance to evaluate Ottawa's rebuild, Ottawa won't have a way to spend that money anyways with Duchene, Dzingel, Ceci, Anderson, etc all being traded. Sets Stone up to sign a more appropriate AAV 8 year contract at the age of 30 and the beginning of our supposed run for success.

I still don't understand why we don't just pay this one player the lockout bonuses on a regular 8 year contract. It's the cost of doing business right now, and if the Senators expect fans to buy in, they need to retain Stone. The can let everybody else go, but retaining Stone is an investment that has to be made if the Senators expect to sell fans on the team in short term via season tickets, and have the fans buy in to the long term strategic plans that Melnyk and co outlined in Toronto a few weeks back.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Wasn't it just last week that Stone was put on the back burner and the the was completely focused on Duchene? The Stone negotiations were not going anywhere and all the "insiders" said how it wasn't gonna happen with Stone. Then within 7 days things completely changed?? It's all a load of crap to drive prices and to try temper than fanbase outrage.

Most of the reliable insiders like Bob McKenzie and Elliotte Friedman have used disclaimers over anything they've said stating that this is a fluid situation, things will change, etc. They've very much characterized it as a situation where it looked like Stone and Duchene were gone, but again with the disclaimer that things could change very quickly.

I think it's plausible that they've started exploring the trade market on Stone, and want to make one last effort at retaining him before dealing him. It's not as if nothing was going on this week with the entirety of the Senators top management in Winnipeg. Unless it's a coincidence, and the Senators plan to give that same treatment to Nashville, Calgary, etc, it looks very much like Winnipeg might be a preferred destination for Stone or Duchene, and the ground work for something was being worked on trade wise.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
The point still applies though. One day we'll be in a similar position again, and how can we have faith it'll be any different when that time comes.

One day, Melnyk will sell the team, the problem is when? Of course, the sooner the better but no choice to stay patient and wait for it. In the meanwhile, the best scenario would be a partner who will eventually become the only owner. Melnyk wants to have the best ROI as possible; my hypothesis is that he is in the process of a financial purge to fix his cash flow problem while paying the debt; and by the time it’s fixed, Lebreton will be on it’s way to happen. It’s a business financial straightening. In many type of businesses it wouldn’t matter but in this case, there’s the us the fans, who are not currently a priority

Reactions: Gesus

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Most of the reliable insiders like Bob McKenzie and Elliotte Friedman have used disclaimers over anything they've said stating that this is a fluid situation, things will change, etc. They've very much characterized it as a situation where it looked like Stone and Duchene were gone, but again with the disclaimer that things could change very quickly.

I think it's plausible that they've started exploring the trade market on Stone, and want to make one last effort at retaining him before dealing him. It's not as if nothing was going on this week with the entirety of the Senators top management in Winnipeg. Unless it's a coincidence, and the Senators plan to give that same treatment to Nashville, Calgary, etc, it looks very much like Winnipeg might be a preferred destination for Stone or Duchene, and the ground work for something was being worked on trade wise.

Dorion's in over his head, and instead of focusing on manageable tasks, he's trying to do it all and outwit the sharks, not realizing he jumped into the water with the bucket of chum and doesn't have a way to get back onto the boat.

5ive4Fighting

Feb 11, 2019
Lonely end of the rink
A word that caught me in the description of Sens re-opening contract talks with Stone was that they were going to get "creative".

What does that mean?

Could we see something like a 2-3 year contract at a huge over-payment money wise, like max salary?

Gives Stone a chance to evaluate Ottawa's rebuild, Ottawa won't have a way to spend that money anyways with Duchene, Dzingel, Ceci, Anderson, etc all being traded. Sets Stone up to sign a more appropriate AAV 8 year contract at the age of 30 and the beginning of our supposed run for success.

I still don't understand why we don't just pay this one player the lockout bonuses on a regular 8 year contract. It's the cost of doing business right now, and if the Senators expect fans to buy in, they need to retain Stone. The can let everybody else go, but retaining Stone is an investment that has to be made if the Senators expect to sell fans on the team in short term via season tickets, and have the fans buy in to the long term strategic plans that Melnyk and co outlined in Toronto a few weeks back.

If I were management, here or in any other smaller market, I would worry about setting a precedent against which future contract offers would be assessed. If Stone now, why not Chabot, Tkachuk etc. when the time comes? Many clubs just can’t afford to do business this way, and shoot themselves in the foot by normalizing it at a time of pressure or desperation. The Matthews etc. style contracts are a distortion of a labour market that most clubs can’t afford. I think it requires longer term thinking and a banding together of sorts of the non-powerhouse organizations to force some limits through the next CBA, even if it means short term pain.

Reactions: HF Reader

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
So, are we going to move Duchene to Nashville over the next few days in order to up the pressure on the Jets to offer us something reasonable for Stone?

If it's true that Tolvanen's name is out there as a player Nashville would move, and we manage to get him and a 1st along with another conditional pick based on Duchene re-signing, that's probably a home run for a rental, even if it pales in comparison to what we gave up for Duchene.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
If I were management, here or in any other smaller market, I would worry about setting a precedent against which future contract offers would be assessed. If Stone now, why not Chabot, Tkachuk etc. when the time comes? Many clubs just can’t afford to do business this way, and shoot themselves in the foot by normalizing it at a time of pressure or desperation. The Matthews etc. style contracts are a distortion of a labour market that most clubs can’t afford. I think it requires longer term thinking and a banding together of sorts of the non-powerhouse organizations to force some limits through the next CBA, even if it means short term pain.

You are right in theory, but consider two things...

1) Chabot and Tkachuk won't be negotiating their big RFA contracts for at least 5+ seasons. At least when looking at the same team, it's typical not kosher for an RFA to point to a UFA contract as a comparable for structure.

2) The next CBA discussions will almost certainly address this signing bonus issue, possibly closing them for good, or severely limiting them. White is our only big UFA who HAS to be signed before the CBA change (although it'd be a good idea to lock Chabot up ASAP), and White isn't in a position to ask for that kind of contract as an RFA.

It should be looked at like this. Stone is the one time we'll probably have to do this. The club has dug themselves into such a hole, that retaining Stone by any means possible is paramount to fans buying into the strategic plans that were outlined by Melnyk a few weeks ago in Toronto. As of now, Melnyk and the management associated with him have no credibility. They need to sign Stone as an investment in rebuilding that credibility with their stakeholders or else any future plans will fall flat due to a complete lack of buy in from those stakeholders.

Reactions: 5ive4Fighting

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa

I'm in favour of a lockout to make the teams doling out generous bonus-laden contracts pay. Plus, it burns a year of the Senators being uncompetitive. We lost a year of our glory to a lockout. Let's lose a year of misery. Let the Leafs and Bolts lose a year of their heyday this time.

Mostly tongue-in-cheek, but I don't feel too bad about that possibility.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

I think it has more to do with the media speculating and taking every grain of information and milking it to death.

None of it means anything. The only people who really know what's going on are those directly involved.

Of course I think the tea leaves were there to be read months ago.

Reactions: Duncstar
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad