Trade Rumours and Proposals: Part XXXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I think next year BM will acquire another NHL level D.
If Ryan O'Byrne is still there he could be a guy he goes after. Right handed shot, physical, big frame. He is only -1 on a team that is -8.
Benoit will probably get an offer from another team that will offer more than we will.

Methot/Karlsson
Cowen/O'Byrne
Phillips/Weircioch
*Boro,Gryba,

O'Byrne is absolutely terrible. Do not want. There's no way he gets in the line-up over Gryba or Ceci.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Having too many NHL calibre players in the system isn't a problem. It's the hallmark of a good team. It should always be that way.

JonnyMacSen

2nd round Chlapik!
Nov 4, 2009
Ottawa, ON
Ian White seems like a guy Murray could go after at the deadline, could be a good Gonchar replacement next year, offensive/RH shot. No idea what his worth would be though, maybe a mid prospect?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
People said the same thing about Methot last year.

...anyone sensible knew that Methot was a good defenceman. All I can say is watch O'Byrne play...he is terrible. Are you seriously comparing Methot and O'Byrne? Jesus.

Also:

On February 11, 2008, O'Byrne and teammate Tom Kostopoulos were arrested with force outside a Tampa Bay, Florida nightclub following the team's rookie dinner for a purse-snatching incident. He was charged that night with grand theft after police found him with a woman's purse in one hand making a call with her cellphone in the other. Kostopoulos was charged with resisting the officers after he was told to back off while they were dealing with O'Byrne. Both were eventually released on bail—O'Byrne's was $2,000, Kostopoulos' was $500. The charges against Kostopoulos were dropped a few weeks later, while those against O'Byrne were dropped in July 2008, after he apologized to the victim and conceded to do community service in Canada.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
People said the same thing about Methot last year.

There's a joke here about the correlation people who didn't think Methot could succeed here, and the people who couldn't pick out a box of cereal on a shelf full of mayonnaise jars.

I'm going to take the high road, however, and not make that comparison. I'm trying to be on my best behavior these days.

(by the way, full credit to Penn & Teller for the cereal/mayonnaise bit: always give credit where credit is due)

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
To say he had trouble with OHL forwards is overstating it to say the least. He had bad stretches and he certainly seemed to suffer from a lack of confidence at some points this season -- but he's really shored it up lately and seems to be back on track. He has an off-season to get bigger, stronger and more developed.

Is it likely he makes it out of camp? I don't think so -- but he could/should see some time in the NHL next season. He's got the tools and the intelligence to stick. It's whether or not he's at a mental point where he can put them to use just yet.

Also comparing Cowen and Ceci is like comparing apples and oranges. Ceci put up 60 points in his draft year (Cowen put up 21). For clarity's sake Ceci put up double the offensive numbers of Cowen's 1st post draft year in his draft year. I guess if you want to say that Ceci "dreams of being as good defensively" as Cowen was then you could say that Cowen "dreams of being as good offensively" as Ceci is. Cowen was much bigger and more defensively polished, but don't underestimate Ceci -- his defence is better than was shown at points this year. He made it a hard decision on Murray and co. this year...he'll make an even harder one of it next year.

IMO Murray and MacLean were both being positive with a first round pick, no surprise there.

I really don't believe Ceci had the remotest chance of sticking with the Sens this season, specially considering the limited 7-day training camp consisting of no exhibition games.

Truly not an appropriate evalution for any kid.

Keeping things in perspective somewhat, Ceci wasn't the best Dman at the development camp, probably ranked 3rd or 4th IMO.

People just need to accept a simply reality, most 1st round Dmen don't make it to the NHL in their first year of pro.

Considering the Sens will have Karlsson, Cowen, Methot, Wiercoich, Phillips, Gryba, Benoit, Boro, Claesson and possibly a FA signing it is a stretch to believe Ceci isn't starting next season in Binghamton.

It is possible I suppose, but not very likely.

Pitlick*

What about ufa Michael Ryder in offseason ?

A sniper for spezza. Not nearly as expensive (or as good) as Perry.

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
What about ufa Michael Ryder in offseason ?

A sniper for spezza. Not nearly as expensive (or as good) as Perry.

I'd be down with Ryder, even if we have to overpay. This is the year where alot of teams either cannot spend or will be dying to cut salary + a set salary cap. HRR is only going to be moving up moving forward so this will be the cheapest time to get players, sign Ryder to a 3 year or something

Ohhh Franco

Jun 28, 2006
Considering Ottawa is a budget team and Perry is said to want somewhere between 9-10mil I think the ship has sailed on that possibility.

I wouldn't underestimate Murray and Melnyk on this particular player. The organization's brain trusts know this player better than any other high impact free agent up for grabs in a long time, probably ever. It may just be my wishful thinking but it seems like there's lots that could draw Perry and the Sens together. It just makes too much sense, for both sides. If I'm Murray, I plead with Melnyk to let me go all in on this guy. Could be the missing piece to really make this organization a Cup contender for the duration of his contract. Murray's last shot at a Cup could rest on whether or not he can get Perry's name on a contract on July 1. Again, If I'm Murray, I beg, plead and do anything to convince Melnyk that he's gotta open up his wallet for Perry.

WhiteLight*

The Sens have not employed players like Ryder (one dimensional) the last two seasons. I'd like it to stay that way.

On 2nd thought maybe Latendresse. Anyway, I like how all the players are defensively responsible. The one guy who stands out as bad defensively is Daugavins, but at least he's good on the PK.

Guys like Kessel and Lupul make me want to vomit. So I'm leaning towards no for Ryder

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
The Sens have not employed players like Ryder (one dimensional) the last two seasons. I'd like it to stay that way.

On 2nd thought maybe Latendresse. Anyway, I like how all the players are defensively responsible. The one guy who stands out as bad defensively is Daugavins, but at least he's good on the PK.

Guys like Kessel and Lupul make me want to vomit. So I'm leaning towards no for Ryder

Konopka, Dziurzynski, Carkner, Phillips, and insert any other grinder/tough guy/defensive defesenman ever employed by Ottawa? Oh wait you are only one dimensional if you are a forward who only scores goals(Butler).

WhiteLight*

Konopka, Dziurzynski, Carkner, insert any other grinder/tough guy ever employed by Ottawa? Oh wait you are only one dimensional if you are a forward who only scores goals.

Konopka PKed and was the ultimate faceoff man.

Carkner PKed and took a regular shift (was slowed down by injuries in the end)

?

Dizzy has a good bottom six forward.

If you read my post, I said every single forward is defensively responsible. (And every single one brings more to the game than fighting). Ryder is not defensively responsible.

Remember Kovalev? When he wasn't scoring, he was hated. It'll be the same thing with Ryder. A Kovalev/Ryder/one dimensional old UFA is not what this team needs. Enough of those players. We are not Toronto.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Seeing as how the Sun writes it's articles at a 3rd/4th grade level on purpose (no joke, I've had many people affiliated with the Sun claim the very same thing, they wear it as a badge of pride because the paper is "accessible to the everyman"), I'd say a 12 year old could probably do a better job than some Sun writers.

I stopped going to the Sun site to read online stories when they began asking for money for the same old rehashed stuff almost everyone else has for free. I used to buy their paper out of the sidewalk box 2 to 3 times a week to read on the bus or while waiting for appointments but now I don't buy it out of spite. I use an e-reader instead.

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
Konopka PKed and was the ultimate faceoff man.

Carkner PKed and took a regular shift (was slowed down by injuries in the end)

?

Dizzy has a good bottom six forward.

If you read my post, I said every single forward is defensively responsible. (And every single one brings more to the game than fighting). Ryder is not defensively responsible.

Remember Kovalev? When he wasn't scoring, he was hated. It'll be the same thing with Ryder. A Kovalev/Ryder/one dimensional old UFA is not what this team needs. Enough of those players. We are not Toronto.

One could argue that any defensively responsible player is going to bring value to a team's 5v5 play and their PK. One could also argue that any offensive forward is going to bring value to a team's 5v5 play and their PP. I'm not saying I even want Ryder I just think it is silly that people only lump that type of player into the "one dimensional" mold. I also dislike the use of the words "overrated"/"underrated" for future reference.

WhiteLight*

One could argue that any defensively responsible player is going to bring value to a team's 5v5 play and their PK. One could also argue that any offensive forward is going to bring value to a team's 5v5 play and their PP. I'm not saying I even want Ryder I just think it is silly that people only lump that type of player into the "one dimensional" mold. I also dislike the use of the words "overrated"/"underrated" for future reference.

Well, he is one dimensional. What's wrong with calling a spade a spade?

Just like a pure goon is one dimensional and I don't want him either.

You're right Ryder could have some value to a team. But an equally valuable, less offensive and more defensively responsible player is:

1-less annoying
2-less expensive (important for the present day)
3-fits better within the system

Spending money on Ryder is not the direction this young team should go in, especially because it prides itself on defensively responsible play.

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
Well, he is one dimensional. What's wrong with calling a spade a spade?

Just like a pure goon is one dimensional and I don't want him either.

You're right Ryder could have some value to a team. But an equally valuable, less offensive and more defensively responsible player is:

1-less annoying
2-less expensive (important for the present day)
3-fits better within the system

Spending money on Ryder is not the direction this young team should go in, especially because it prides itself on defensively responsible play.

That is the main reason I want Ottawa to stay away from a player like Perry. I don't think teams can afford to spend 9-10mil on a winger with the salary cap at its current level even if they are an outstanding player. I'd have to look through the list of players that "could" be available this summer to see if there is anyone that fits the offensive/defensive mold that could help the team in the top 6. Depends on the mix that the team has too though. If you have other players that could cover for Ryder, and he is producing offensively, then it would not be the worst signing in the world.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I'd welcome Ryder with open arms but least I forget to remind you guys that we are lacking star forward power to become contenders not average top 6ers.

Spezza
Silfverberg
Michalek
Alfredsson
Turris

Are going to part of the top 6 we have next year remains to be seen if Alfredsson comes back and it also remains to be seen if Zibanejad continues to improve and takes a top 6 spot as well but as you see we only have one legit star forward in Spezza. Michalek is a complementary first liner/Solid second liner. Turris is a legit 2nd line center, Alfredsson is a solid top 6er and Silfverberg/Zibanejad are solid complementary top 6ers.

We need that extra umph which is what I see to be Perry/Ryan/Kane etc... a big body dynamic forward.

With Ryder we would still ice a forward group that could contend in the east but not as dynamic.

For everyone thinking about Perry's caphit and salary. Murray went hard after Nash and if he didn't have NMC he'd be a Senator today.

neutral zone trap13

Dec 15, 2009
Ottawa
I would also like to get Ian White, but Detroit would probably ask for a second round pick which we don't have this year, and I doubt they would sell anyway.

WhiteLight*

That is the main reason I want Ottawa to stay away from a player like Perry. I don't think teams can afford to spend 9-10mil on a winger with the salary cap at its current level even if they are an outstanding player. I'd have to look through the list of players that "could" be available this summer to see if there is anyone that fits the offensive/defensive mold that could help the team in the top 6. Depends on the mix that the team has too though. If you have other players that could cover for Ryder, and he is producing offensively, then it would not be the worst signing in the world.

I like Filppula. Having a bad season so the Sens could buy low and hope he regains his form.

I like Mason Raymond but not sure where he'd fit into the lineup so it may not be worth it.

Zubrus and Elias, though they're getting up there. Maybe a one year contract.

Perry is good though. I don't mind spending the money cause the Sens have the room. Rather spend 8 on Perry than 4 on Ryder that's for sure.

WhiteLight*

Filppula should be the target. He's played some LW with Zetterberg, so I think he could do the same with Turris or Zibanejad and be successful.

:dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad