Trade Rumours and Proposals: Part XXXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 16, 2007
in your head
No I won't 'stop'. You are acting like what I'm saying is crazy talk. At this point in time, with how good he is in the Dzone, I don't see him playing as more then a 5/6 guy at even strength with 1st PP mins in the AHL on a playoff team next season. Things can change between now and then, his offseason training can certainly improve his deficiencies, but as it stands he's a weak defensive player. I don't need to get you proof of this. If you actually watch him play this is evident.

ACLEVERNAME

schadenfreude
Jan 6, 2010
I don't follow the CHL, and I haven't really kept up with Ceci's play this year, but looking at the stat line how exactly has he regressed this season?

2010-11 Ottawa 67's OHL 68 9 25 34 28 +11
2011-12 Ottawa 67's OHL 64 17 43 60 14 +21
2012-13 Ottawa 67's* OHL 42 11 29 40 10 -14
2012-13 OS Attack OHL 24 7 14 21 2 +4

So this year between Ottawa and OS he has
66GP 18G 43A 61 Pts -10(+/-) with how many games left to play (I don't know).

He's on the minus side (as bolded) but statistically he is better in every department this year. IMO he's 'regressed' this year only because he 1) played on a **** 67's team and 2) moved to Owen Sound where no one knows his name.

He will be a player in Ottawa's future.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
I don't follow the CHL, and I haven't really kept up with Ceci's play this year, but looking at the stat line how exactly has he regressed this season?

2010-11 Ottawa 67's OHL 68 9 25 34 28 11
2011-12 Ottawa 67's OHL 64 17 43 60 14 21
2012-13 Ottawa 67's* OHL 42 11 29 40 10 -14
2012-13 OS Attack OHL 24 7 14 21 2 4

So this year between Ottawa and OS he has
66 GP 18 G 43A 61 Pts -10(+/-) with how many games left to play (IA don't know).

He's on the minus side (as bolded) but statistically he is better in every department this year. IMO he's 'regressed' this year only because he 1) played on a **** 67's team and 2) moved to Owen Sound where no one knows his name.

He will be a player in Ottawa's future.

I didn't say he wont be. I'm a big Ceci supporter, I was the largest voice on this forum calling for the Sens to draft him last season.

I agree he's not progressed because of being on a **** 67s team a lot of the season, but I also said that in an earlier post. His Dzone coverage hasn't improved at all which is something just looking at the stats wont exactly show. He loses his man quite a bit in the dzone and gets caught puck watching way more then he should. These are things that Coach Richardson will be able to help him with, but it's not going to happen over night. 2-3 years is not unusual for a defenceman, and I expect him to get some recall's in that time too. It would not shock me if he was on the team before I predict, but in my personal opinion as a guy who's seen a hell of a lot of Ceci this season I think he'll need time in Bingo.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
I didn't say he wont be. I'm a big Ceci supporter, I was the largest voice on this forum calling for the Sens to draft him last season.

I agree he's not progressed because of being on a **** 67s team a lot of the season, but I also said that in an earlier post. His Dzone coverage hasn't improved at all which is something just looking at the stats wont exactly show. He loses his man quite a bit in the dzone and gets caught puck watching way more then he should. These are things that Coach Richardson will be able to help him with, but it's not going to happen over night. 2-3 years is not unusual for a defenceman, and I expect him to get some recall's in that time too. It would not shock me if he was on the team before I predict, but in my personal opinion as a guy who's seen a hell of a lot of Ceci this season I think he'll need time in Bingo.

Why can't people just take an opinion for what it is? Here's a guy who watches a lot of Ceci, likes Ceci, and is offering up his opinion on what will be the best or most likely path for him. No need to argue for 25 posts.

ACLEVERNAME

schadenfreude
Jan 6, 2010
Awesome. Like I said I'm not exactly on top of Junior hockey, It's nice to know the details on our prospects.

Got high hopes for the kid though.:nod:

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Awesome. Like I said I'm not exactly on top of Junior hockey, It's nice to know the details on our prospects.

Got high hopes for the kid though.:nod:

As do I. I think he'll be a real solid #3/4 defenceman in the NHL someday. The last thing I want is for him to be rushed though. His offensive skills are pretty much NHL ready but he has a lot of work in the defensive zone to do. Luke Richardson is the absolute perfect guy to be teaching him though given the way Luke played the game. It's a lot of little things with Ceci, but it's the little things sometimes that are the difference between success and failure. If Richardson can instill some of that sandpaper he used to play with, Ceci would be an absolute beast. As it stands, Ceci has a lot of size, does a good job of using it to drive guys wide, but doesn't have that killer instinct to just rock a guy when he has a chance. He prefers to just rub him out or stick check. Which is an effective method (see Karlsson) but being as big as he is, it will always leave you wanting him to use it more to his benefit.

Marty Straka

HFBoards Senior Citizen
Aug 11, 2009
Toronto, ON
I guy I wouldn't mind trading for.. and seems to be on the outs with LA Fans... Jarret Stoll. Big bodied two-way center with face-off abilities and a solid shot. Not really sure what it would take though.

Ohhh Franco

Jun 28, 2006
In his famous and latest Sunday column, Garrioch is reporting that pretty much any/all veterans on the Panthers roster are available - he then specifically mentions Kris Versteeg. I've always liked him, but at $4.4M through 2016, that's some serious cash. He'd fit Murray's mantra these days - young and with term. If he could be had cheap, REAL cheap, I'd kick the tires...

http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/03/09/florida-panthers-ready-to-sell

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=69003

http://capgeek.com/panthers

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
In his famous and latest Sunday column, Garrioch is reporting that pretty much any/all veterans on the Panthers roster are available - he then specifically mentions Kris Versteeg. I've always liked him, but at $4.4M through 2016, that's some serious cash. He'd fit Murray's mantra these days - young and with term. If he could be had cheap, REAL cheap, I'd kick the tires...

If he is cheap I would certainly like to pick him up. I don't think they would be interested in Bishop since they have Markstrom... what would you guys give up for him?

Ohhh Franco

Jun 28, 2006
If he is cheap I would certainly like to pick him up. I don't think they would be interested in Bishop since they have Markstrom... what would you guys give up for him?

That's what I was having trouble coming up with - what's he worth to the Ottawa Senators? He's had multiple 20+ goal seasons, plays with a bit of an edge and isn't 27 yet. The kicker is the dollars. $4.4M is a decent bit of cash, especially in two or three years time when hopefully some of BMurr's prospects really start hitting their strides.

Would the Panthers be interested in a quantity (two mid range prospects) for quality (Versteeg) deal?

Which combo of two mid range prospects could the Sens part with? Da Costa and Claesson? Da Costa and mid 2013 pick?

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
We don't have much to give up at this point. We're winning games despite not having a lot of 'high value' players. It's all hard work and grit. Not always something you'll get fair value for on the trade market.

Our only real tradeable asset right now is Bishop and until Andy is back and settled, Ya Bishh is going no where. I think Murray stands pat for the most part this season and just lets the chips fall where they may. We're still re-building so we're not going to be trading prospects and youngsters.

Getting Spezza back from injury is like making a block-buster trade its self. I wouldn't be upset at all if GMBM doesn't make a single trade until the off-season.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I didn't know we could only lose free agents and not add any. Silly me I guess.

Rushing Ceci would be terrible. Him being in the NHL next season is rushing him. He had a lot of trouble with OHL forwards this season. How do you think he'll do against grown men? This is not rocket science here.

To say he had trouble with OHL forwards is overstating it to say the least. He had bad stretches and he certainly seemed to suffer from a lack of confidence at some points this season -- but he's really shored it up lately and seems to be back on track. He has an off-season to get bigger, stronger and more developed.

Is it likely he makes it out of camp? I don't think so -- but he could/should see some time in the NHL next season. He's got the tools and the intelligence to stick. It's whether or not he's at a mental point where he can put them to use just yet.

Also comparing Cowen and Ceci is like comparing apples and oranges. Ceci put up 60 points in his draft year (Cowen put up 21). For clarity's sake Ceci put up double the offensive numbers of Cowen's 1st post draft year in his draft year. I guess if you want to say that Ceci "dreams of being as good defensively" as Cowen was then you could say that Cowen "dreams of being as good offensively" as Ceci is. Cowen was much bigger and more defensively polished, but don't underestimate Ceci -- his defence is better than was shown at points this year. He made it a hard decision on Murray and co. this year...he'll make an even harder one of it next year.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out

I stopped following Fat Bruce on Twitter and stopped reading his columns. The guy spits out opinions and passes them off as facts. You can see his trends months in advance.

Posting this now to compare at the trade deadline.

"Teams have been calling George McPhee inquiring about the services of Mike Ribiero. The asking fee is reported to be a high pick and a prospect. Ribiero put up good numbers on a struggling Washington team."

Don Brennan is still worse. I see this coming from his mouth some point in the future.

"Ovy not happy in Washington. Sens would be smart to trade for him!"

Let's see how close I am come April.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Garrioch is literally the worst journalist in this city. I cringe every time they put him on the pre-game show. He has no idea what he is talking about ever, and he just acts like a dick. His "columns" could be written by my 12 year old brother.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Garrioch is literally the worst journalist in this city. I cringe every time they put him on the pre-game show. He has no idea what he is talking about ever, and he just acts like a dick. His "columns" could be written by my 12 year old brother.

Seeing as how the Sun writes it's articles at a 3rd/4th grade level on purpose (no joke, I've had many people affiliated with the Sun claim the very same thing, they wear it as a badge of pride because the paper is "accessible to the everyman"), I'd say a 12 year old could probably do a better job than some Sun writers.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
I guy I wouldn't mind trading for.. and seems to be on the outs with LA Fans... Jarret Stoll. Big bodied two-way center with face-off abilities and a solid shot. Not really sure what it would take though.

I'd love someone like Stoll...

I'd throw something like Smith +2nd...

The second being so we could get someone like Nolan to replace the missing toughness...

I've no idea if that seems a good proposal but whatever :laugh:

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
there is absolutely no reason to have Ceci here next year, he will spend at least 1.5 year with bingo before he steps in the NHL.

Why rush him? Because we won't win the Stanley Cup if we don't? surprise, we won't be this year and next year.

We will have such a logjam at defense in 3 years since Methot will be the oldest at 30.

Karlsson
Gryba
Cowen
Methot
Wiercioch

Claesson
Wikstrand*
Sdao*
Ceci

Benoit, Boro,etc..

We need help at the top 6 position more than we do at defense.

* I like both

PeskySens

May 27, 2008
Seeing as how the Sun writes it's articles at a 3rd/4th grade level on purpose (no joke, I've had many people affiliated with the Sun claim the very same thing, they wear it as a badge of pride because the paper is "accessible to the everyman"), I'd say a 12 year old could probably do a better job than some Sun writers.

All Newspapers, at least those in NA, write to at most a 5th grade level. That's actually one of the basic premises of CP and AP styles. The Sun writes a lot of tripe, but this isn't one of those definable moments.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
All Newspapers, at least those in NA, write to at most a 5th grade level. That's actually one of the basic premises of CP and AP styles. The Sun write a lot of tripe, but this isn't one of those definable moments.

A good friend of mine was a bureau chief with the AP. He said 8th grade when I've had conversations with him in the past... but admittedly he was not posted in North America, so who knows.

I trust him, but your point is well taken nonetheless: Newspapers ≠ quality.

PeskySens

May 27, 2008
A good friend of mine was a bureau chief with the AP. He said 8th grade when I've had conversations with him in the past... but admittedly he was not posted in North America, so who knows.

I trust him, but your point is well taken nonetheless: Newspapers ≠ quality.

Often journalists will write to a higher level in columns in most papers, but generally with the "hard" news you see at most a 5th grade. I have a degree in it that's only about six years old, so it may have changed since your friend started as well. Either way, Boo Boo and Brennan give journos a bad name at the best of times. Just looking forward to the deadline and a Sens playoff series (or hopefully two or more)

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
there is absolutely no reason to have Ceci here next year, he will spend at least 1.5 year with bingo before he steps in the NHL.

Why rush him? Because we won't win the Stanley Cup if we don't? surprise, we won't be this year and next year.

We will have such a logjam at defense in 3 years since Methot will be the oldest at 30.

Karlsson
Gryba
Cowen
Methot
Wiercioch

Claesson
Wikstrand*
Sdao*
Ceci

Benoit, Boro,etc..

We need help at the top 6 position more than we do at defense.

* I like both

Nobody is saying that we need more help on defence. I don't really know what you're trying to show with that list though. Claesson is another LHer, and Ceci is ahead of both Wikstrand and Sdao by a country mile (I would also consider him ahead of Claesson but meh). We lose Gonchar next year and whether or not people like him he's a big contributor to our offence from the blueline. Now people will probably expect Wierchioch to step up there, but it's hard to say what he can do.

All this talk of "rushing" prospects is ridiculous. Ottawa has already shown, especially under the Murray regime, that they play it safe with prospects. They won't put them in a position to fail. So if they bring Ceci into the fold, or bring him onto the team then they clearly feel that he is ready for the NHL.

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Gryba/Ceci
Phillips - Wierchioch

Is what we'll probably be running with next year. IMO.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I think bishop will land in newjersey if anderson is back
Brodeur is injured and Hedberg looks horrible:amazed:

Nah, the Devils won't trade for Bishop. They have the two gramps locked in for 2 years and have some good goalie prospects that should be ready to make the jump when they finally retire.

I think Lou keeps them around so he is not the oldest guy in the organization.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I think next year BM will acquire another NHL level D.
If Ryan O'Byrne is still there he could be a guy he goes after. Right handed shot, physical, big frame. He is only -1 on a team that is -8.
Benoit will probably get an offer from another team that will offer more than we will.

Methot/Karlsson
Cowen/O'Byrne
Phillips/Weircioch
*Boro,Gryba,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad