Trade Rumours and Proposals: Part XXXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
Goal scorers peak in their earlier twenties. Corey Perry is now 27 going on 28. His new contract will most likely take him until he is 35. Between the ages of 30-35 production is likely going to dip for Perry unless he proves himself to be ageless like Daniel Alfredsson. I'm not saying Perry is a bad player what so ever, but paying 9mil for one winger in his late twenties with a 60mil cap is not smart. Ottawa has the room right now yeah. What happens when Ottawa needs to re-sign their young guys if they pan out as we all hope? In my opinion 6-7mil is quite enough for a first line player that isn't Sidney Crosby.

Honestly I think over the next ten years some of these stupid 8-14 year 8mil+ contracts are going to cripple teams. Look at Ovechkin as a prime example if his numbers continue to slip in Washington. Would you pay 9.5mil+ for what he brings to the table? How about Brad Richards?

Thank you for injecting a little sanity into the Perry hysteria.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I don't really think we necessarily need to sign anyone on defence next year.

Methot, Cowen, Karlsson, Gryba, Phillips, Wierchioch, Benoit and Borowiecki are all options we have already as well as Ceci who could challenge for a spot.

I would worry more about bolstering our top 6 (but again, Silfverberg, Zibanejad and Stone will be another year developed...could still use some more offensive touch though in the line-up).

If we're going for anyone we need to get a homerun like a Perry or a Yandle or something along those lines (Shattenkirk plzzzz).

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Remove Karlsson and look at how horrendous that team looks in terms of offensive capabilities. We have Gonchar now and we still struggling to move the puck up-ice.

We need another number 2-3 defender and we'd be set on defense capable of a cup run.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
As soon as Getzlaf signed his contract, I was no longer interested in Perry.

Considering I think Perry is slightly better, he will definentely ask for more, and I think the Getzlaf contract is bad...

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
As soon as Getzlaf signed his contract, I was no longer interested in Perry.

Considering I think Perry is slightly better, he will definentely ask for more, and I think the Getzlaf contract is bad...

Agreed Getzlaf's contract is horrible. Paying 8mil+ to any player that doesn't make everyone else on his line considerably better is just asking for trouble. Look at Kunitz's production this season and you can see why Crosby is worth investing that much money into. Most players, like Spezza, make people around them slightly better(see Greening), but they don't turn them into PPG players. If you can take your 8mil+ player and stick him with whoever(see Crosby) and still get 1st line production then go for it.

I can almost guarantee that the people drooling to sign Perry for 9-10mil are going to be the first people to grab a pitchfork when he starts only putting up 60-70 pts a year. This is not a 100pt+ player we are taking about, and he does not deserve that type of money. Frankly I am glad the team is rebuilding while teams learn to adjust to the new CBA. Ottawa is a small market to begin with, so I can only imagine what happens if they make the wrong move on a big money deal.

Last edited:

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Getzlaf was worth 10m tonight for sure though, and Perry too. Two 5m top 6 wingers does seem slightly better than a 9m Perry. Perry's a risk but you hardly get an opportunity to take that risk.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Dubinsky, eh? Yeah, I'd like that. Gives us a bit more jam up front too which I like.

Dubinsky-Zibanejad-Stone would be a nice 3rd scoring line. He might even fit on a line with Spezza.

Skrymir

Jul 7, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I'd love Hossa,

However that article, along with the rest on that page is just awful...

Not sure if its a compatibility issue or what not but I saw a few extra words and apparently Doughty is the reigning Norris winner... Erm?
The formatting is because he shared the link to the mobile site, not the regular site (just delete the m. at the front).

Getting Hossa is a pipe dream for sure. Not sure he would come back here with Murray at the helm anyway. Murray was the coach at the time and there is no way Muckler pulled off that deal without Murray being agreeable to the trade. Muckler sure liked to piss of players.

Yeah and who knew doughty was the reigning Norris winner... I must have missed that season.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
I don't see what's so hysterical about trying to get Perry here.

When we get to the point where we have to sign our young players in the future Gonchar will likely be off the books, maybe Phillips. Outside Karlsson and Spezza, who's making big money on this team? Nobody really. Michalek? Methot? Turris?...meh, all very reasonable deals. Turris is already in for the long haul, Michalek is not going to be making more than he currently is, ditto Methot.

As for the prospects, even if they all pan out who among them are going to realistically be in a position to demand major money in the future? Zibanejad, maybe. Silf I can potentially see making about 4m/yr for his second contract (if, if if...). Wier and Gryba? Nope. If it's Lehner then it's possible Anderson is out. Who are we waiting to pay right now?

I could be mistaken but IIRC, once the cap dips down next year doesn't it just start climbing back up again?

I'm not really the pitchfork type so if Perry declines he declines but we'll be scary good in the immediate future and there's really no guaruntee that he will decline.

Re: Getzlaf deal, of course everyone is going to go crazy when they hear the money since teams can't tack on those retirement years at the end of contracts anymore to reduce the overall cap hit. Getz is making Eric Staal money and I'd say he's just as important to the Ducks as Staal is to the Canes so what's the big deal? Oh "he's not that good" you say? I disagree and apparently Anaheim does as well. I bet ya he would have gotten comparable if not more money and the same term if the Ducks let him hit FA. Straight up market value.

I don't think Perry will get more than Getzlaf. It's a push as to who's better. Probably won't happen but I would pay for that privilege and there's nothing hysterical about it.

Plus...if the Nash rumours were true there's precedent.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I don't see what's so hysterical about trying to get Perry here.

When we get to the point where we have to sign our young players in the future Gonchar will likely be off the books, maybe Phillips. Outside Karlsson and Spezza, who's making big money on this team? Nobody really. Michalek? Methot? Turris?...meh, all very reasonable deals. Turris is already in for the long haul, Michalek is not going to be making more than he currently is, ditto Methot.

As for the prospects, even if they all pan out who among them are going to realistically be in a position to demand major money in the future? Zibanejad, maybe. Silf I can potentially see making about 4m/yr for his second contract (if, if if...). Wier and Gryba? Nope. If it's Lehner then it's possible Anderson is out. Who are we waiting to pay right now?

I could be mistaken but IIRC, once the cap dips down next year doesn't it just start climbing back up again?

I'm not really the pitchfork type so if Perry declines he declines but we'll be scary good in the immediate future and there's really no guaruntee that he will decline.

Re: Getzlaf deal, of course everyone is going to go crazy when they hear the money since teams can't tack on those retirement years at the end of contracts anymore to reduce the overall cap hit. Getz is making Eric Staal money and I'd say he's just as important to the Ducks as Staal is to the Canes so what's the big deal? Oh "he's not that good" you say? I disagree and apparently Anaheim does as well. I bet ya he would have gotten comparable if not more money and the same term if the Ducks let him hit FA. Straight up market value.

I don't think Perry will get more than Getzlaf. It's a push as to who's better. Probably won't happen but I would pay for that privilege and there's nothing hysterical about it.

Plus...if the Nash rumours were true there's precedent.

Excellent post but everyone should look no further than your final sentence.

Murray went after Nash and he has a very long contract with a huge cap-hit.

Perry is Nash 2.0 but even better imo.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
I really wish the NHL had been successful in limiting the length of contracts to five years. Getzlaf will probably earn his money the first three or four years before he becomes a drag on the Ducks.

I worry that all upper echelon stars will be demanding eight year contracts in order not to test the free agency waters. Seven or eight years is very dangerous once a player is past 25 years of age. It's a gamble that could cripple a team.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
zFnuoVu.jpg

Shanny

Let's Win It All
Jun 12, 2009
Bytown
hypothetically speaking, if Melnyk opened his wallet, and Alfie does indeed comes back...someone tell me this lineup isn't a contender:

Michalek-Spezza-Perry
Latendresse-Turris-Alfie
Silfverberg-Zibanejad-Condra
Greening-Smith-Neil
Noesen/Prince/Stone/Hoffman/Dziurzynski

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Bouwmeester
Phillips-Weircioch/Benoit/Gryba

Andy
Lehner

wow.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
Remember that Heatley was only 26 years old when he was given that six year contract. We got lucky when he demanded that trade because he's been grossly overpaid ever since he left. I personally would not give a player who's two years older than Heatley was (Corey Perry) a contract for seven or eight years unless his name was Sidney Crosby.

Skrymir

Jul 7, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
hypothetically speaking, if Melnyk opened his wallet, and Alfie does indeed comes back...someone tell me this lineup isn't a contender:

Michalek-Spezza-Perry
Latendresse-Turris-Alfie
Silfverberg-Zibanejad-Condra
Greening-Smith-Neil
Noesen/Prince/Stone/Hoffman/Dziurzynski

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Bouwmeester
Phillips-Weircioch/Benoit/Gryba

Andy
Lehner

wow.

Any top 6 with Fatendress in it is not a contender. Now sign Ryder and Perry up front and another vetran Dman not named Bouwmeester and you are getting there. I'd actually prefer to see Gonch come back than sign Bouwmeester.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Remember that Heatley was only 26 years old when he was given that six year contract. We got lucky when he demanded that trade because he's been grossly overpaid ever since he left. I personally would not give a player who's two years older than Heatley was (Corey Perry) a contract for seven or eight years unless his name was Sidney Crosby.

If you're comparing a guy like Heatley to a guy like Perry, you've already lost the argument.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
If both Spezza and Karlsson were healthy throughout the year, or heck even if they came back, I could see Ottawa go in a deep playoff run this year and be top 3 in the East. Imagine if we add Perry. We'd be instant contenders and even favourites to come out of the East.

For the love of God, there hasn't been a team that has convincingly beat us so far this year yet we've convincingly beat teams like Montreal(Considered best in the east) Winnipeg and Florida.

Also, Spezza could potentially not be the same in 3-4 years or not as dynamic. Would you want to risk that?

We are not rebuilding anymore, this is the time.

R2010

May 23, 2011
If you're comparing a guy like Heatley to a guy like Perry, you've already lost the argument.

I hate heatley as much as the next guy but Heatley in his prime was just as valuable as Corey Perry. If you think otherwise then you haven't watched Perry play enough. Not to mention that perry played for a powerhouse and has still managed only one year where he was PPG in his career and one season with 40+ goals meanwhile by the time Heatley was his age he already had 4 PPG seasons and 4 seasons of 40+ goals. We all hate heatley cause he was a bit lazy and because of how he left here but to pretend like he wasn't on Perry's level is completely missing out on a lot of history.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
i say just give it to him. What are we going to spend the money on otherwise? We're chalk full of prospects who can play bottom-9 positions and on defense with the way the kids and methot have stepped up we dont NEED to replace gonchar with a UFA.

Just give perry his 8.5-9M, deal with the back half when he's overpaid when the time comes.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
i say just give it to him. What are we going to spend the money on otherwise? We're chalk full of prospects who can play bottom-9 positions and on defense with the way the kids and methot have stepped up we dont NEED to replace gonchar with a UFA.

Just give perry his 8.5-9M, deal with the back half when he's overpaid when the time comes.

I'd much rather grab two 4.5 million dollar forwards on shorter terms that won't handcuff us down the road. There could be some interesting names out there this summer with so many teams needing to trim payroll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->