Trade Rumours and Proposals: Part XXXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Getting Perry would be awesome, but probably not realistic. I say we target guys like Ryder, Roy, Bouchard, Clowe, Fillpula if we go the free agent route. Much more realistic we get one of those guys.

SensTopLine

Mar 6, 2013
Quebec (Province of)
38 pages of replies, there's surely the highest chance of our comments getting lost in this shuffle! I'll try to keep this short (no promises). I don't mean to sound biased because of my username. I think the average fan can point out that most NHL teams that have legit # 1 centres are mostly Canadian and first round picks (no coincidence). As irrelevant as it may be, it just happens to be that way:

LW - Crosby - RW
LW - Toews - RW
LW - Stamkos - RW
LW - Giroux - RW
LW - Thornton - RW
LW - E. Staal - RW
LW - Nugent-Hopkins (sometimes?) - RW
LW - Tavares - RW

Among the few. I've (and many others) seen first hand Spezza being the victim of costly turnovers and poor decision making that almost led to him being shipped out of town during the 2010 first round playoffs. Obviously, was due to the anger and frustration from the fans that he felt like we wanted him to be traded. I've even heard of a rumor that made me look twice when it was suggested that he be reunited with Heatley in San Jose with Thornton coming back the other way. This is how it is. Trading Spezza would cause a major catastrophe and a setback for the organization for years to come. Unless you are getting of equal value for him, there is no way in hell to even consider for him to be moved. Forgot where I read about Columbus willing to pull the trigger with Brassard, the 2010 1st round pick (Ryan Johansen) and Huselius. Fast forward to present time and could you imagine how screwed Ottawa would be had they accepted that deal? Johansen being Johansen as a rookie player still feeling out at the NHL level, Brassard, former 1st rounder himself never being able to exceed his own expectations and Huselius playing for 2 seasons, decides to retire? Columbus would be laughing for years to come.
Now we all agree Spezza or anyone else for that matter will never be as great as Crosby. But imagine where this team would be if Spezza wasn't the # 1 centre? Year after year, he has almost always been a point per game player. Turris or anyone else on the team could never fill his shoes or even half of what Spezza brings to the table. We should count our lucky stars to have him otherwise he'd be property of the Islanders. # 1 centres just don't grow on trees and I only wished that Spezza would have a supportive back up guy for him (ie: Malkin & Crosby, Toews & Kane, Richards & Carter, etc). I dread the day he retires and looking deep in the system, does anyone seriously think Turris or Zibanejad could ever replace Spezza? As good as Zibanejad is?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Not really sure what that post is in response to, but I think everyone outside of Mandy knows that Spezza is the backbone of this team's offence and won't be going anywhere for the foreseeable future (and hopefully his entire career).

Spezza isn't a Crosby, but he's in that next tier of centres that could be argued as being a top 5er (after Stamkos and Malkin). Give him someone like Perry, Cammy or even Ryder and we should see his numbers improve quite a bit.

Skrymir

Jul 7, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Don't Trade anyone at the deadline. Sign Perry, Ryder and Regehr. Alfie comes back for $2M Gonch for $4M and we go from being a cap floor team to a cap ceiling team. We then would have a chance to win a Cup for Alfie.... or maybe not.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Milan Michalek ($4.333m) / Jason Spezza ($7.000m) / Corey Perry ($8.500m)
Jakob Silfverberg ($0.900m) / Kyle Turris ($3.500m) / Michael Ryder ($4.000m)
Colin Greening ($0.817m) / Mika Zibanejad ($1.744m) / Daniel Alfredsson ($2.000m)
Chris Neil ($1.900m) / Zack Smith ($1.888m) / Erik Condra ($0.715m)
Kaspars Daugavins ($0.699m) / Jim O'Brien ($0.638m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Jared Cowen ($1.265m) / Sergei Gonchar ($4.000m)
Marc Methot ($3.000m) / Erik Karlsson ($6.500m)
Robyn Regehr ($3.750m) / Chris Phillips ($3.083m)
Eric Gryba ($0.563m)
GOALTENDERS
Craig Anderson ($3.188m)
Robin Lehner ($0.870m)
OTHER
Buyout: Bobby Butler ($0.200m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,931,000; BONUSES: $1,275,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,644,000

SensTopLine

Mar 6, 2013
Quebec (Province of)
Not really sure what that post is in response to, but I think everyone outside of Mandy knows that Spezza is the backbone of this team's offence and won't be going anywhere for the foreseeable future (and hopefully his entire career).

Spezza isn't a Crosby, but he's in that next tier of centres that could be argued as being a top 5er (after Stamkos and Malkin). Give him someone like Perry, Cammy or even Ryder and we should see his numbers improve quite a bit.

That's right sir (or mam)! I agree and for the price it's gonna cost for Melnyk, I don't know if they would see it as something that should be done. But at the same time, I have that "go all balls out and no return" attitude at the moment because since Heatley, Spezza really hasn't had that winger he can dish to. Michalek is good. He's very good. But Heatley did score 50 twice and having Silfverberg and Michalek just isn't the same as what Heatley brought to the table. I honestly think Perry could be that guy easily to replace Heatley's scoring touch. Well, his old scoring touch. We need to surround Spezza with ready snipers because in Spezza's best years (ie: 2005-2008), he isn't getting younger. I'm not hating on Silfverberg or Greening or Michalek but these guys will not have the production Spezza once had in those years. With all that being said, realistically, it'll come down to Perry wanting to play in Ottawa. You can be sure he will hear from Murray himself and not just through Perry's agent. Murray's the man who drafted him, he's got a chance to be Spezza's winger and a kid by the name of Erik Karlsson, who is a top 5 defensemen right now. Somewhere down the line, I'd like to see:

Puempel - Spezza - Perry (Please disregard the username!)
Silfverberg - Zibanejad - Noesen
Greening - Turris - Stone
Smith - O'Brien - Neil

I just don't know if I'll ever be sold on Turris being the guy to Spezza as Malkin would be for Crosby.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Anyone else wish we could have signed PA Parenteau last summer?

He lived near Ottawa, and the fact he signed with the Avs means he wasn't even looking to sign with a contender. I feel we really could have had him.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Anyone else wish we could have signed PA Parenteau last summer?

He lived near Ottawa, and the fact he signed with the Avs means he wasn't even looking to sign with a contender. I feel we really could have had him.

Yeah, Parenteau would have been nice. Also, you're not the wallet inspector :D

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Don't Trade anyone at the deadline. Sign Perry, Ryder and Regehr. Alfie comes back for $2M Gonch for $4M and we go from being a cap floor team to a cap ceiling team. We then would have a chance to win a Cup for Alfie.... or maybe not.

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Colin Greening ($0.817m) / Mika Zibanejad ($1.744m) / Daniel Alfredsson ($2.000m)
DEFENSEMEN
Eric Gryba ($0.563m)
GOALTENDERS
Craig Anderson ($3.188m)
Robin Lehner ($0.870m)
OTHER
------

Sigh, if only it were this easy. We are not a cap team. No way will we spend that kind of money on our roster for next season.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
we're not a cap team and wont be unless we go far in the playoffs and then euge decides to pony up to go all in.

That said, why do we need gonchar@4M? why do we need [email protected]? The kids are proving themselves right now, and some combination of karlsson/cowen/methot/wiercioch/benoit/borowiecki/gryba/ceci will do fine to get us into the playoffs. Same story up front with ryder@4m.

we have depth. We've proven that. We have top-end dmen and goalies. All we need to do is spend the money for a top-line winger, and hey - there's one available this year. Just give him his money and stay the course everywhere else, and we become a cap midpoint team that makes the playoffs and can do some damage. If that works, then we can talk about euge spending more money to put us over the top.

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
I just hope we find out the extent to which Ottawa is on a budget from this point on. If Melnyk is really hurting to spend money on the hockey team then I hope he brings in some partners/co-owners that have money to burn. It would be really unfortunate to never have a true shot at a championship because Ottawa is a small market team.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
I really wish the NHL had been successful in limiting the length of contracts to five years. Getzlaf will probably earn his money the first three or four years before he becomes a drag on the Ducks.

I worry that all upper echelon stars will be demanding eight year contracts in order not to test the free agency waters. Seven or eight years is very dangerous once a player is past 25 years of age. It's a gamble that could cripple a team.

It's ok to worry, and in an ideal world, I'd be with you, but I think with our current salary structure we can afford to take that gamble and make a major play for Perry (should he really become available) and have it pay tremendous dividends. It would be a major coup for this team. Spezza + Perry could be just as dynamic as Getzlaf + Perry. Add in Karlsson + the rest of this team and Mac behind the bench we'll be laughing a long time before any negative consequences potentially come to the fore.

If both Spezza and Karlsson were healthy throughout the year, or heck even if they came back, I could see Ottawa go in a deep playoff run this year and be top 3 in the East. Imagine if we add Perry. We'd be instant contenders and even favourites to come out of the East.

For the love of God, there hasn't been a team that has convincingly beat us so far this year yet we've convincingly beat teams like Montreal(Considered best in the east) Winnipeg and Florida.

Also, Spezza could potentially not be the same in 3-4 years or not as dynamic. Would you want to risk that?

We are not rebuilding anymore, this is the time.

we're not a cap team and wont be unless we go far in the playoffs and then euge decides to pony up to go all in.

That said, why do we need gonchar@4M? why do we need [email protected]? The kids are proving themselves right now, and some combination of karlsson/cowen/methot/wiercioch/benoit/borowiecki/gryba/ceci will do fine to get us into the playoffs. Same story up front with ryder@4m.

we have depth. We've proven that. We have top-end dmen and goalies. All we need to do is spend the money for a top-line winger, and hey - there's one available this year. Just give him his money and stay the course everywhere else, and we become a cap midpoint team that makes the playoffs and can do some damage. If that works, then we can talk about euge spending more money to put us over the top.

This. This all day.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
DEFENSEMEN
Eric Gryba ($0.563m)
GOALTENDERS
Craig Anderson ($3.188m)
Robin Lehner ($0.870m)
OTHER
------

You think we'd pay Alfie $2 million?

LOLOLOLOLOL.

No, just no.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Melnyk is not as "flush" these days as 10 years ago. His Biovail and Divorce settlements had to eat away at his reserves. I see us as a mid-level Cap team with Eugene stepping up when the year arrives that we are making serious noise into the Playoffs.

Not this year, or probably even next.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011

True but we need to stay above the cap floor so we mine as well get someone to take up some cap.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
hypothetically speaking, if Melnyk opened his wallet, and Alfie does indeed comes back...someone tell me this lineup isn't a contender:

Michalek-Spezza-Perry
Latendresse-Turris-Alfie
Silfverberg-Zibanejad-Condra
Greening-Smith-Neil
Noesen/Prince/Stone/Hoffman/Dziurzynski

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Bouwmeester
Phillips-Weircioch/Benoit/Gryba

Andy
Lehner

wow.

So what are we giving up for Bouwmeester?

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Melnyk is not as "flush" these days as 10 years ago. His Biovail and Divorce settlements had to eat away at his reserves. I see us as a mid-level Cap team with Eugene stepping up when the year arrives that we are making serious noise into the Playoffs.

Not this year, or probably even next.

Making the playoffs this year will provide a HUGE financial incentive to all teams considering costs were cut almost in half due to the lockout. This team making it in to the second round would be a massive plus in Melnyk's wallet.

Slow Hands

The feels
Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Making the playoffs this year will provide a HUGE financial incentive to all teams considering costs were cut almost in half due to the lockout. This team making it in to the second round would be a massive plus in Melnyk's wallet.

Yeah, this is a good point. Obviously you want to get into the playoffs because it's the playoffs, but financially, it's also a huge boon to the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad