Rumor: Trade Rumour Thread I: Post-Lockout Madness

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Here is an interesting name that has been brought up numerous times by numerous people:

Kyle Beach. Give him some time on the 3rd/4th line and let him develop. Could be a VERY solid addition for what he brings. If nothing else, he will be a pain in the ass to play against.

Punxrocknyc19*

Alright, so I went around the league to find players who were scratched their last game to see who may be available:

Matt Calvert - CLB - Speedy, energy player similar to the style Callahan plays actually

Marcus Johansson - WAS - Very skilled Swedish center. Still young @ 22. Has some defensive deficiencies.

Yannick Weber - MON - IMO, he would be the ideal #6 defenseman. Give him PP time and 5~7 minutes of even strength time. I really like his game and think he could help a lot.

Dustin Penner - LAK - Pancakes. Doubt Torts would want him but maybe. Another big body who can score when motivated.

Brad Richardson - LAK - 4th line energy player
Thoughts?

i dont really like Richardson. reminds me of Derek Armstrong.. id love one of Jordan Nolan, Dwight King or Kyle Clifford from Kings...

Punxrocknyc19*

Here is an interesting name that has been brought up numerous times by numerous people:

Kyle Beach. Give him some time on the 3rd/4th line and let him develop. Could be a VERY solid addition for what he brings. If nothing else, he will be a pain in the ass to play against.

id love Beach as well as some other BlackHawks like Andrew Shaw and Jeremy Morin...

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Can I ask you a question?

Has there ever been a player out there that you wouldnt like in a Rangers uniform?

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I disagree with speed. Honestly, how often recently have we seen Gaborik use his speed to score a goal? In his first season here, that was a common occurrence, but not as much now.

Most of the goals that Gaborik has been scoring for this season and last are based on his intelligence. He's been scoring a lot of goals right below the hash marks, tips, deflections. Lots and lots of garbage goals.

Look at the breakaway OT goal on Rask. He didn't snipe it past Rask, he made an amazing second effort to bat it out of the air.

I really can't remember the last time Gaborik flat out BLASTED a wrist shot past an opposing goal tender. But Gaborik is smart enough to overcome his waining physical attributes because he is sneaky and smart.

I don't expect 40 goal pace after his contract ends, but I think 30 is reasonable. Also, he is a proficient passer. He will usually have 30-40 assists a season.

Edit: I think Gaborik is realizing how his speed is starting to slow deteriorate, I think that's why we only see a few quick bursts from him a game. He wants to preserve his legs and his quick burst.

Edit 2: What Levitate said too.

Actually I kind of disagree. Gaborik has long had the reputation as a guy who scores all his goals with his speed and his great shot, but if you go through and look at a lot of his goals, he scores a very large portion of them from being in front of the net and banging in rebounds, deflections, etc. He is amazingly adept as a garbage goal collector, and I think that's one reason why he's still an effective goal scorer at an age where a lot of them start falling off a big

I think Gaborik's two best qualities are being able to find open space near the net and the willingness to go into those areas, and that will keep him pretty effective as a goal scorer for awhile

I hear your points. I may have over-simplified when I said "shot and speed". His game around the net is very good in the sense that he reads the play well and knows when to be opportunistic. But it also relies on quickly accelerating into an opening as much as it does reading the play. Will he still be able to dart into those spaces?

The breakaway goal on Rask is actually exactly what I think we won't be seeing in a few years. He made a great read at the blueline (which he will still be able to do), but his first few steps absolutely torched the B's defensemen. I could see it coming to a point where he ends up getting caught from behind in that scenario.

I'm not saying he will be worthless, but will he be worth the money he gets on his next deal? That is ultimately the question. It comes down to what other options present themselves as well.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Can't imagine Boychuk doesn't get claimed but if he gets to us there's absolutely no reason not to give him a shot. Yes, he's struggled to make the squad in Carolina, but he has a good skill set and is a hard and willing worker. Torts might be able to get a bit more out of him and the change of scenery could do him well. Costing nothing more than a roster spot, while we're in need of NHL bodies, there's absolutely no reason not to claim him if the chance arises. Worst case scenario, he doesn't help and we waive him/send him down. He could easily be a guy who gets picked up by the Islanders and has a 40 point season next year.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Zach Boychuk, 23 yrs

http://snyrangersblog.com/rangers/buzz-should-the-rangers-put-in-a-claim-for-zach-boychuk/

DEFINITELY put in a claim.

Won't get to us, unfortunately.

That write-up isn't very accurate. Boychuk is the exact opposite of physical so anyone who writes that he has been physical hasn't watched him. Although he seems to have come into this season in good shape, in previous seasons that hasn't been the case and his conditioning has been questioned.

The guy has good speed and offensive skill. He's not physical, not great defensively, and at times hasn't showed good hockey sense (although maybe it's due to him being too tentative). I had really hoped he would make the jump as the Canes need guys that can put the puck in the net and I haven't given up on him yet, but he hasn't been able to translate his game to the NHL as of yet (at least with Carolina). Over the past couple of years, guys like Skinner, Tlusty, Dalpe, and Bowman have all made the jump ahead of him.

Maybe he just needs a change of scenery to turn things around.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
Boychuk would be a fantastic pick up. No chance he isn't claimed before the Rangers, though.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Think of it this way:

If Sather and the Rangers are going to claim someone off waivers, many other teams will as well. Irrelevant.
The same logic could be applied to free agent signings and trades as well. WHERE ARE WE EVER GOING TO GET PLAYERS???!??!?!?!11

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Pat Leonard had a chat today. As of yesterday(before the Callahan injury),the Rangers had not inquired about Langkow. Stop coaching Pat spoke to his agent. Carp had a chat today too. He wrote Moore is not talking any calls about playing at this point.

Larry Melnyk

Feb 27, 2002
Gloomsville, USA
Visit site
Boychuk would be a fantastic pick up. No chance he isn't claimed before the Rangers, though.

Why? Boychuk is just another prospect (kinda) that hasn't figured out how to play in the NHL..The Rangers don't a player who's hand they have to hold..With Cally's injury and the Krider situation, they need an NHL player that cac come in and perform on the NHL stage....Now, if you want Boychuk for CT and to build up the prospect base, that's another story...But the rangers have more immediete problems..

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
The same logic could be applied to free agent signings and trades as well. WHERE ARE WE EVER GOING TO GET PLAYERS???!??!?!?!11

Not true at all. Teams aren't competing when it comes to waivers. It's based off your record from the previous season. The Rangers were pretty good last year, so we're at the back of the line. It's a free market when it comes to free agency and trades.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Why? Boychuk is just another prospect (kinda) that hasn't figured out how to play in the NHL..The Rangers don't a player who's hand they have to hold..With Cally's injury and the Krider situation, they need an NHL player that cac come in and perform on the NHL stage....Now, if you want Boychuk for CT and to build up the prospect base, that's another story...But the rangers have more immediete problems..
Why not pick up Boychuk while you look for that established NHL, which I agree would be preferable. The lineup would look better with him than with Bickel up front, IMO.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012

It's simple...Boychuk > Newbury and/or Bickel, both in the present and certainly when taking into consideration their potential. He hasn't developed well in Carolina, perhaps he'll develop on the third line in our system. If he doesn't work out, then he doesn't work out. It would be a no-lose situation.

Larry Melnyk

Feb 27, 2002
Gloomsville, USA
Visit site
Why not pick up Boychuk while you look for that established NHL, which I agree would be preferable. The lineup would look better with him than with Bickel up front, IMO.

Like I said, and we agree, no problem if he's picked up for CT and org. depth...But for now, in NY, he serves no purpose...Yes, in lieu of an NHL 4th liner, maybe better than Bickel, but you might as well bring up a kid from CT that is used to the system and serve the same purpose....The NHL team is my worry now...CT is way down the list

SupersonicMonkey*

Torts has made it clear if a guy comes in and can play he will play.

To be honest I'd rather they take a chance on the cheap Ferriero(s) then some of the slower footed veterans still on the market.

Boychuk might be able to help. But he probably won't reach us, someone will claim him.

Depending on what happens with Cally's MRI this afternoon, my hope is to pick up another player like Ferriero. Fast, spunky player that contributes.

Where to find that player is the question.

SupersonicMonkey*

That write-up isn't very accurate. Boychuk is the exact opposite of physical so anyone who writes that he has been physical hasn't watched him. Although he seems to have come into this season in good shape, in previous seasons that hasn't been the case and his conditioning has been questioned.

The guy has good speed and offensive skill. He's not physical, not great defensively, and at times hasn't showed good hockey sense (although maybe it's due to him being too tentative). I had really hoped he would make the jump as the Canes need guys that can put the puck in the net and I haven't given up on him yet, but he hasn't been able to translate his game to the NHL as of yet (at least with Carolina). Over the past couple of years, guys like Skinner, Tlusty, Dalpe, and Bowman have all made the jump ahead of him.

Maybe he just needs a change of scenery to turn things around.

Interesting. Thanks for the insight.

He's worth a gamble for who ever picks him up, though.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Like I said, and we agree, no problem if he's picked up for CT and org. depth...But for now, in NY, he serves no purpose...Yes, in lieu of an NHL 4th liner, maybe better than Bickel, but you might as well bring up a kid from CT that is used to the system and serve the same purpose....The NHL team is my worry now...CT is way down the list
Who would that be?

Larry Melnyk

Feb 27, 2002
Gloomsville, USA
Visit site
It's simple...Boychuk > Newbury and/or Bickel, both in the present and certainly when taking into consideration their potential. He hasn't developed well in Carolina, perhaps he'll develop on the third line in our system. If he doesn't work out, then he doesn't work out. It would be a no-lose situation.

Boychuk may be more talented than Newbury, but not a better fit for where the Rangers need help now.....I'm interested in shoring up the 2013 NHL Rangers right now, Boychuik won't help one iota...You want him for the future and he's available, no problem..but he ain't helping the Rngers this year...We already have better options..eveen if they are bad ones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad