Rumor: Trade Rumour Thread I: Post-Lockout Madness

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Which is exactly what CBJ fans thought about Nash.

Trading Gaborik is by most respects a backwards move. Flip Stepan and Girardi/Staal for an top young center on his ELC, and we can delay cap problems for a year. This of course will depend on the development of Mr. McIlrath or the potential recovery of Mr. Sauer.

Trading Gaborik is by most respects a backwards move.
Concur.
Best solution of cap relief while retaining productivity is to move Richards, if not possible then buyout.

Flip Stepan and Girardi/Staal for an top young center on his ELC,
I have looked at many variations of this.
Who do you have in mind?

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Fair enough, but the same can be said for those who are too eager to say a player has come around. If Kassian had 0 goals in 6 games, we're likely not having this conversation. Hell, even late last season you could find plenty of Nucks fans who weren't thrilled with Kassian and thought they made a mistake.

I think too many people are jumping the gun once again. 6 games isn't a big enough sample size to anoint the kid as the next Lucic, IMO.

Plenty of players can do that. The problem is finding players who can do that AND score at the same time. So far, Kassian has managed to do that for all of 6 games in the NHL. It's far too soon to even begin to put him in with guys like Clowe or Lucic.

His 6 games in the NHL make him closer to the Lucic/Clowes than most who have played for seasons. The mold is there, the skill is evident(shootout goal was nice), what I can't predict is the consistency and the willingness to take on the role as time goes on. Seems like he's on that track as of now, right now.

that Marcus Foligno is a pretty good player for Buffalo...we will see if Buffalo made the right decision keeping Foligno over Kassian.

I like Foligno. At the end of the day they had a stockpile of wingers and dealt for a young skilled Centerman. Can't argue the logic. Just not sure they dealt the right Forward. I wonder if the Nucks would have taken Adam plus a pick for Hodgson?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Miller projects better on the wing. Nieves has a LONG way to go. He hasn't looked particularly dominant this year.

I think Lindberg is our only real legitimate 2 way center in our system.

Even if true, we have enough options at W.
He is our best immediate fill in in the pivot, great speed w/Hagelin, Callahan.

Miller in now.
Move Stepan for a profit.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

Miller in now.

Miller is not ready now. He may not be ready to start next season. Stepan was a 21 year old 2nd line center. Move him? For what? You better be getting back a legitimate, young, first line player.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I'm gona throw a name out there and its not just because I went to college with him. I have advocated us going after him before, and we were rumored to sign him when he was a college free agent. Can play center and is way ahead of any center we have in CT:

Stephane Da Costa. He has good hands and skills. His game is improving. Looks like he sustained an injury earlier this year. But he has 23 points in 29 GP. Ottawa has no room for him on the NHL club and he has slid down their depth chart because of players like Silfverberg (not sure if i got that right) and Zibanjed (not sure on that spelling either)

I remember that name, and appreciate you bringing it up.
I agree with you he's got the goods, although I note a disclaimer below as to his NHL skating level. Not sure with Miller doing so well Da Costa would be ahead of him.

He's certainly worth consideration at the right price. Is the price right?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Miller is not ready now. He may not be ready to start next season. Stepan was a 21 year old 2nd line center. Move him? For what? You better be getting back a legitimate, young, first line player.

Miller is not ready now. He may not be ready to start next season.
I disagree.
I admit he could use more development.
But he is playing well enough that, IMO, with the right linemates (speedsters Hagelin, Callahan) he's a good fit.

It certainly is a gamble, but freeing up Stepan for something we need, could be one worth taking.

Stepan was a 21 year old 2nd line center. Move him? For what? You better be getting back a legitimate, young, first line player.
The floor is open with this valid ? about what kind of return could Stepan/Stepan + command?

I would expect solid value in return.

Who do you think would be a good fit?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I disagree.
I admit he could use more development.
But he is playing well enough that, IMO, with the right linemates (speedsters Hagelin, Callahan) he's a good fit.

It certainly is a gamble, but freeing up Stepan for something we need, could be one worth taking.

The floor is open with this valid ? about what kind of return could Stepan/Stepan + command?

I would expect solid value in return.

Who do you think would be a good fit?

Miller is not close to ready. From the games I have seen he wouldn't even be in the top-5 players I would call up first.

He is 19 playing in the AHL. Let him develop properly.

If I am moving Stepan, I look for a player like Lucic, Kane or Pacioretty. Players teams don't move so it's a moot point.

The team has had A LOT of turnover already. Chemistry would be a major problem if more big deals are made and Stepan has the makings of a 1b center in the NHL. Why move him?

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

Miller in now.

Miller is not ready for the NHL yet, let alone for a top 6 role where he'll be leaned on to score points. He's 19 and scoring at a .5 ppg pace in the AHL.

I don't understand why we'd want to tear a hole open, at center no less, when the team is supposed to compete for the cup this year. You don't take a gamble on a guy who isn't ready for the NHL and is projected to be in a different position when you're trying to compete, especially when you're talking about putting him at center.

Step has had a rough start to the season like almost everyone else on the roster. I wouldn't trade him and take a gamble on the second line center position at this point in this team's history.

Last edited:

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Miller is not ready for the NHL yet, let alone for a top 6 role where he'll be leaned on to score points. He's 19 and scoring at a .5 ppg pace in the AHL.

I don't understand why we'd want to tear a whole open, at center no less, when the team is supposed to compete for the cup this year. You don't take a gamble on a guy who isn't ready for the NHL and is projected to be in a different position when you're trying to compete, especially when you're talking about putting him at center.

Step has had a rough start to the season like almost everyone else on the roster. I wouldn't trade him and take a gamble on the second line center position at this point in this team's history.

And even with is rough start he still has 4 points. Give him a fee more games. I laugh at the idea of trading him because i really feel this organization loves him as well as his background/road to the nhl.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Da Costa just doesn't have the skating for the NHL, IMO.

Really? I thought he looked fine when i watched him last year. He certainly looked fine dangling around us last year. I think he joined the nhl too quickly. He needed time in the ahl.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
What about?

Rupp, Eminger, 3rd rounder, C Thomas, rights to S Noreau/C Andersson

for

Murray (UFA), TJ Galiardi (RFA), 7th rounder

Or what else would we need to add/give up?
San José is reputedly looking for a grit guy on their 4th line = Rupp
We give them Eminger (or Gilroy) as a thrown to fill up a lost spot on D
Adding a 3rd rounder, C Thomas (2nd round pick) and a defensive prospect is icing for the Sharks.
Maybe they want something more though

Then:
  • Sign Dom Moore
  • Call up Mashinter
  • Send Gilroy down

Hagelin - Richards - Nash
Kreider - Stepan - Gaborik
Galiardi - Moore - Pyatt
Ferriero
(Mashinter) - Boyle - Asham
Halpern, Mashinter

McD - Girardi
Staal - MDZ
Murray - Stralman

Bickel

Like the lineup...
If Kreider fails we can still ice a pretty fair team if gets sent down

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
What about?

Rupp, Eminger, 3rd rounder, C Thomas, rights to S Noreau/C Andersson

for

Murray (UFA), TJ Galiardi (RFA), 7th rounder

Or what else would we need to add/give up?
San José is reputedly looking for a grit guy on their 4th line = Rupp
We give them Eminger (or Gilroy) as a thrown to fill up a lost spot on D
Adding a 3rd rounder, C Thomas (2nd round pick) and a defensive prospect is icing for the Sharks.
Maybe they want something more though

Then:
  • Sign Dom Moore
  • Call up Mashinter
  • Send Gilroy down

Hagelin - Richards - Nash
Kreider - Stepan - Gaborik
Galiardi - Moore - Pyatt
Ferriero
(Mashinter) - Boyle - Asham
Halpern, Mashinter

McD - Girardi
Staal - MDZ
Murray - Stralman

Bickel

Like the lineup...
If Kreider fails we can still ice a pretty fair team if gets sent down

Way to plagiarize my (good) idea! :sarcasm:
I even wrote it as an edit to a post about Moore.

Edit: A name that came to mind for me is TJ Galiardi. He's fast, hits a lot, blocks a lot of shots and has the potential to put up very decent points. In his first NHL season, a few years ago, he put up 39 points in 70 games (with 87 hits and 43 blocks). The following year he only played 35 games, but put up 15 points, which is a similar pace. Last year he played 69 games but only had 15 points and was traded at the deadline to San Jose (I believe in the deal for McGinn) but he still had 110 hits. I realize 15 points last year isn't that exciting, but a fresh start could get him producing like he did the previous two seasons (54 points in 105 games is good production for a young player) and he's got some very good wheels, hits a lot and blocks a lot of shots, so he would fit right in under Torts. He could fill in in the top six while Callahan is out, which could potentially get his offense jump started and then he would be an IDEAL third liner once Cally returns. He also probably wouldn't cost much considering SJ's depth. We could even inquire about Galiardi AND Douglas Murray and really bolster our lineup.

But I think for both San Jose would want more than you suggested. We'd be looking at something closer to 2nd, Rupp, Hrivik, Bickel/Eminger. Yeah, that doesnt sound ideal but its really no loss to us now and we're trying to win right now. Trying to make a package from non-roster players without moving Miller or McIlrath is tough enough. I'm high on Hrivik but you've got to give to get and if we're going it for it this year or the next you gotta roll the dice and pay to make the necessary pickups. Murray world improve our overall defense by miles. Galiardi would fit in incredibly well as a solid, low risk third liner and could still put up significant points if he found chemistry or increases minutes (with Cally out or if Hags struggles at times; in SJ he has no shot at seeing top six time but here he could fill in there) in NY.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I have looked at many variations of this.
Who do you have in mind?

Yakubov!

;)

If the real world were close to the video one you could put a exciting team on the ice here in NY next season.

Trade 1.
Marc Staal for Nail Yakubov //EDM has a PPQB and with Staal they get the rest. A Russian kid like that in Canada is asking for trouble.

Trade 2.
Derek Stepan for Ryan Murphy //Murphy is the best young right handed PPQB outside the NHL.

Trade 3.
Hank for Alexander Ovechkin //Oats would be more than fine to build around Bäckström and he wouldn't have to worry about the rest.

UFA Signing 1.
Dustin Penner 2.5m per

UFA Signing 2.
Ilya Bryzgalov 1.5m per, 3 years //He's getting paid by Philly. Rejuvenated behind a defensive Torts team.

UFA Signing 3.
Doug Murray 2.5m per //He would love to come to NY

Lineup
1. Penner-Richards-Nash
2. Ovechkin-Yakubov-Gaborik
3. Hagelin-JT Miller-Callahan
4. Kreider-Boyle-Rupp
1. McD-Murphy
2. MDZ-McIlrath
3. Murray-Girardi
Bryzgalov
Biron

PP1
-------------------------Nash--------------
---------------NET-----------------------
-----AO----------------------------Yakubov
---------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------
---------Murphy------------BR ------------

How hard can it be? The above roster easily fits under the cap. Easily.
(j/k)

Last edited:

Rangerboy030

Apr 21, 2012
Something that I think is worth mentioning in trades is that, when targeting a player, you get to pick 2 of these 3 qualities:

Skilled
Young
Cheap

As such, I think we need a top 6 forward, a 4th/3rd line forward and a bottom pair D. The 3rd/4th liner can easily be had through free agency with either Langkow or Moore, so we don't need to worry about a trade there.

With the top 6 forward, given that we don't have assets that are expendable (at least without compromising our depth, which is already an issue), so we have to go with someone who would be cheap. A top 6 forward by definition is skilled, so if we were to acquire a top 6 forward, he would be an older player.

To this, my ideal target would be to bring back Prospal; he knows the system, still has top 6 caliber skills and plays with a ton of heart. We could probably get him for a second, or a third with a later pick.

With the rise of the Staal - MDZ pairing, it would be safe to change focus from acquiring a RHD to pair with MDZ and instead find a LHD to pair with Stralman. Murray from San Jose has been suggested to no end and I think he's a good fit too. The only problem I see here is that San Jose will be competing this year and I can't see them weakening their defence for futures, which is all we're in a position to deal with our current depth situation. A couple of guys that I could see being available for futures depending on how their teams are performing are Toni Lydman from Anaheim or Jan Hejda from Colorado.

Lineup (when healthy):

Gaborik - Richards - Nash
Prospal - Stepan - Pyatt
Hagelin - Ferriero - Callahan
Langkow/Boyle - Boyle/Moore - Asham/Rupp

McD - Girardi
Staal - MDZ
Lydman/Hejda - Stralman

Hank
Biron

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
This org. will have to look at move that's more substantial than Arnott now.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
The thing with Gabby is, as good as he's been, he is the prototypical player whose game I worry about just falling off a cliff as he ages.

Extensive injury history, plus he relies on 2 elite qualities (speed, shot) to produce. If either one disappears he has the potential to become an enormous albatross.

That's why if the org decided to "sell high" on him this summer (vs letting him walk) I would understand.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Way to plagiarize my (good) idea! :sarcasm:
I even wrote it as an edit to a post about Moore.

But I think for both San Jose would want more than you suggested. We'd be looking at something closer to 2nd, Rupp, Hrivik, Bickel/Eminger. Yeah, that doesnt sound ideal but its really no loss to us now and we're trying to win right now. Trying to make a package from non-roster players without moving Miller or McIlrath is tough enough. I'm high on Hrivik but you've got to give to get and if we're going it for it this year or the next you gotta roll the dice and pay to make the necessary pickups. Murray world improve our overall defense by miles. Galiardi would fit in incredibly well as a solid, low risk third liner and could still put up significant points if he found chemistry or increases minutes (with Cally out or if Hags struggles at times; in SJ he has no shot at seeing top six time but here he could fill in there) in NY.

You are right
Gotta give to get
I would give more - something like you stated
Plagerized?
More like inspired... ;)
I saw something about Galiardi somewhere, the other stuff was a coincidence that it got mixed together - I swear - Or like Nixon once said "I am innocent"!
Right...:sarcasm:

Emptyvoid

Apr 11, 2009
The thing with Gabby is, as good as he's been, he is the prototypical player whose game I worry about just falling off a cliff as he ages.

Extensive injury history, plus he relies on 2 elite qualities (speed, shot) to produce. If either one disappears he has the potential to become an enormous albatross.

That's why if the org decided to "sell high" on him this summer (vs letting him walk) I would understand.

I disagree with speed. Honestly, how often recently have we seen Gaborik use his speed to score a goal? In his first season here, that was a common occurrence, but not as much now.

Most of the goals that Gaborik has been scoring for this season and last are based on his intelligence. He's been scoring a lot of goals right below the hash marks, tips, deflections. Lots and lots of garbage goals.

Look at the breakaway OT goal on Rask. He didn't snipe it past Rask, he made an amazing second effort to bat it out of the air.

I really can't remember the last time Gaborik flat out BLASTED a wrist shot past an opposing goal tender. But Gaborik is smart enough to overcome his waining physical attributes because he is sneaky and smart.

I don't expect 40 goal pace after his contract ends, but I think 30 is reasonable. Also, he is a proficient passer. He will usually have 30-40 assists a season.

Edit: I think Gaborik is realizing how his speed is starting to slow deteriorate, I think that's why we only see a few quick bursts from him a game. He wants to preserve his legs and his quick burst.

Edit 2: What Levitate said too.

Last edited:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

Actually I kind of disagree. Gaborik has long had the reputation as a guy who scores all his goals with his speed and his great shot, but if you go through and look at a lot of his goals, he scores a very large portion of them from being in front of the net and banging in rebounds, deflections, etc. He is amazingly adept as a garbage goal collector, and I think that's one reason why he's still an effective goal scorer at an age where a lot of them start falling off a big

I think Gaborik's two best qualities are being able to find open space near the net and the willingness to go into those areas, and that will keep him pretty effective as a goal scorer for awhile

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Hendricks will be more valuable to WSH than any team will want to pay to get him. Even if WSH blows it up, Johansson is a guy they'll keep. Perrault could definitely be had cheap. WSH doesn't have a lot of pieces like that that are interesting to me though.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Alright, so I went around the league to find players who were scratched their last game to see who may be available:

Matt Calvert - CLB - Speedy, energy player similar to the style Callahan plays actually

Marcus Johansson - WAS - Very skilled Swedish center. Still young @ 22. Has some defensive deficiencies.

Yannick Weber - MON - IMO, he would be the ideal #6 defenseman. Give him PP time and 5~7 minutes of even strength time. I really like his game and think he could help a lot.

Dustin Penner - LAK - Pancakes. Doubt Torts would want him but maybe. Another big body who can score when motivated.

Brad Richardson - LAK - 4th line energy player

Thoughts?

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The reason Gaborik has less breaks now than in his first year is because he didn't play much defense his first year.

His shot, he has had shoulder problems, but I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that he can now dish the puck to a solid player like Richards instead of an Erik Christensen.

If you're NYR, you need one more forward. Another Ferreiro type would likely be cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad