Rumor: Trade Rumour Thread I: Post-Lockout Madness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I'd like to see the Rangers get a little more creative than scraping the bottom of the barrel in the FA market. For instance, Luke Adam looks like he's dying for a change of scenery. Could be a nice target as a "buy low" opportunity.

Championship*

I'd like to see the Rangers get a little more creative than scraping the bottom of the barrel in the FA market. For instance, Luke Adam looks like he's dying for a change of scenery. Could be a nice target as a "buy low" opportunity.

Would take him in a heartbeat. What's the cost though?

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC

Good name to throw out there.

I just don't know if Buffalo deals him right now, and if they do they're not gonna deal him cheap.

I felt they could've gotten more for Kassian.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Good name to throw out there.

I just don't know if Buffalo deals him right now, and if they do they're not gonna deal him cheap.

I felt they could've gotten more for Kassian.

It might not be as cheap as we'd want, but it's a good investment if we can not only bolster the depth up front, but add a solid hockey player in the process.

I think that, at least at the time, Hodgson was a solid return. He was another highly touted guy who hadn't quite put it together. I know Kassian is off to a hot start now, but Hodgson has looked very good for Buffalo as well. I think an outsider might say one thing, but it seems that both organizations are happy with the move.

Another point about Buffalo: They have several young, cheap D floating around their organization. I don't think he's available, but I'd kick the tires on Gauthier-Leduc. Like the upside on that kid.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
Luke Adam is pretty much a waste of space. He's a terrible skater, he isn't physical whatsoever, and wasn't good defensively. Torts would have a field day with him.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
It might not be as cheap as we'd want, but it's a good investment if we can not only bolster the depth up front, but add a solid hockey player in the process.

I think that, at least at the time, Hodgson was a solid return. He was another highly touted guy who hadn't quite put it together. I know Kassian is off to a hot start now, but Hodgson has looked very good for Buffalo as well. I think an outsider might say one thing, but it seems that both organizations are happy with the move.

Another point about Buffalo: They have several young, cheap D floating around their organization. I don't think he's available, but I'd kick the tires on Gauthier-Leduc. Like the upside on that kid.

Hodgson was a good return, but I really like the toughness Kassian brings to the table. There were doubts about his willingness to get physically involved and I think he's been proving that to be wrong.

Lets remember, both players are playing on top lines with all star caliber linemates ;)

Kershaw

Hodgson was a good return, but I really like the toughness Kassian brings to the table. There were doubts about his willingness to get physically involved and I think he's been proving that to be wrong.

Lets remember, both players are playing on top lines with all star caliber linemates ;)

Buffalo got fleeced in that trade badly. Hodgson types are dime a dozen, while there may only be two or three Kassian-type PWFs.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Buffalo got fleeced in that trade badly. Hodgson types are dime a dozen, while there may only be two or three Kassian-type PWFs.

I'd call it a win-win. It didn't look like Kassian was going to put it together for Buffalo. Maybe they handled him wrong, maybe he wasn't happy there, but it just didn't look like he was going to become the player he could there. Hodgson needed out of Vancouver. Both seem to be thriving in their new environments. Kassian may be the better value, but both teams came out winners, IMO.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
People need to cool it on Kassian. There has little literally been zero players that haven't produced while playing with the Sedins.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

Really? I could name you quite a few power-forwards who have 14 points in 50 NHL games. How about we let the kid actually accomplish something before we induct him into the HOF?

Kershaw

I'd call it a win-win. It didn't look like Kassian was going to put it together for Buffalo. Maybe they handled him wrong, maybe he wasn't happy there, but it just didn't look like he was going to become the player he could there. Hodgson needed out of Vancouver. Both seem to be thriving in their new environments. Kassian may be the better value, but both teams came out winners, IMO.

Kassian was dominating the AHL in his first pro season. There should be growing pains expected for any prospect in their rookie season, especially a PWF type like Kassian who completely had to alter his game since he couldn't push around defenders like he could push midgets around in the OHL. Hodgson was having a nice rookie season too, however they already had small, weak, defensively irresponsible players in their lineup. Kassian was something that team really hasn't had and they basically traded it away for a guy who they hope will some day be as good as Derek Roy.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
People need to cool it on Kassian. There has little literally been zero players that haven't produced while playing with the Sedins.

Nuck fans are very pleased with the physical presence that line needed. His goal last night was a rebound as he camped out by the net. Not an easy guy to move.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Really? I could name you quite a few power-forwards who have 14 points in 50 NHL games. How about we let the kid actually accomplish something before we induct him into the HOF?

I'm not inducting him to anything, just seems teams often jump the gun on young players who are still learning how to play the physical game. Players like Kassian are hard to come by. I think the Sabes could have held onto him and look for a guy like O'reilly when available. This trade was for a questionable prospect, they could have had a legit NHL'er.

Kershaw

PWF type as in putting fear into the opposition of getting hurt when bursting down the forecheck. Also drops the mitts with the best of them. Only Clowe and Lucic are two that resemble Kassian's game.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I'm not inducting him to anything, just seems teams often jump the gun on young players who are still learning how to play the physical game. Players like Kassian are hard to come by. I think the Sabes could have held onto him and look for a guy like O'reilly when available. This trade was for a questionable prospect, they could have had a legit NHL'er.

Fair enough, but the same can be said for those who are too eager to say a player has come around. If Kassian had 0 goals in 6 games, we're likely not having this conversation. Hell, even late last season you could find plenty of Nucks fans who weren't thrilled with Kassian and thought they made a mistake.

I think too many people are jumping the gun once again. 6 games isn't a big enough sample size to anoint the kid as the next Lucic, IMO.

PWF type as in putting fear into the opposition of getting hurt when bursting down the forecheck. Also drops the mitts with the best of them. Only Clowe and Lucic are two that resemble Kassian's game.

Plenty of players can do that. The problem is finding players who can do that AND score at the same time. So far, Kassian has managed to do that for all of 6 games in the NHL. It's far too soon to even begin to put him in with guys like Clowe or Lucic.

Punxrocknyc19*

that Marcus Foligno is a pretty good player for Buffalo...we will see if Buffalo made the right decision keeping Foligno over Kassian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad