Rumor: Trade Rumors & Proposals Thread | McLeod, You Wanna Get Nuts? Let's Get Nuts!

Who Do We Sign After McLeod and Bouchard Are Extended?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Look, I'm not advocating we resign Holland... I'm actually very curious/interested to see what Jackson has in store for us.

But to say that Holland has just been average, when evaluating the totality of his work given his starting point is unfair IMO. He's set up the next GM to be 10,000 times more successful than the hand he was dealt (two aces aside, we know that doesn't win you a poker game unless you bluff others out before they get a chance to see the flop).

2019 Edmonton Oilers by ~depth & games played:

Lucic McD Kassian
Chiasson Drai Reider
Khaira Nuge Pulju
Caggiula Brodziak Rattie

Klef Larsson
Nurse Benning
Russel Gravel

Talbot
Koskinen

Do people not remember how bad this roster was? Reider played 67 games predominantly on a line with Draisaitl and scored ZERO goals. Rattie played mostly with McDavid for 50 games and scored 4.

And he inherited approximately $13M tied up in buyout worthy Lucic, Russel and Sekera, and dealt a crushing blow with the early retirement of his #1D

2023 (August)

Lucic is now Kane
Kassian is now Brown
Reider is now Hyman
Chiasson is now Foegele
Khaira is now McLeod
Pulju is now Holloway
Caggiula is now Janmark
Brodziak is now Ryan
Rattie is now Lavoie
Klef is now Ekholm
Benning is now Bouchard

Larsson is now Ceci (and even this has been mixed vs Edmonton's inconsistent version of Larsson)
Russel is now Kulak
Gravel is now Broberg/Desharnais
Talbot is now Skinner

Koskinen is now Campbell (gonna call this a draw for now)

Everything in green is indisputably better, and next year's GM will have only $5M (vs ~13) in dead cap...
Amen

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
no, because there isnt a single team in the league that could take them both and i think they value trying to do it together,
I don't think any team has to take them both. If they value staying together they'll take discounts.
the Oilers have won 49 and 50 games the past 2 years...the 2nd best record in the NHL since Woodcroft took over...and the same people are whining about the team isn't good enough LMAO

imagine having this much negativity on your life
The Bruins won the most games in NHL history during the regular season and lost 4 games when it mattered the most. The Oilers went on a ridiculous tear at the end of the season and lost 4 games when it mattered the most. People aren't going to talk about how many they won in the regular season, they're going to be talking about how many they won in the playoffs.

They weren't good enough to beat Vegas. Although I guess they did beat themselves.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Look, I'm not advocating we resign Holland... I'm actually very curious/interested to see what Jackson has in store for us.

But to say that Holland has just been average, when evaluating the totality of his work given his starting point is unfair IMO. He's set up the next GM to be 10,000 times more successful than the hand he was dealt (two aces aside, we know that doesn't win you a poker game unless you bluff others out before they get a chance to see the flop).

2019 Edmonton Oilers by ~depth & games played:

Lucic McD Kassian
Chiasson Drai Reider
Khaira Nuge Pulju
Caggiula Brodziak Rattie

Klef Larsson
Nurse Benning
Russel Gravel

Talbot
Koskinen

Do people not remember how bad this roster was? Reider played 67 games predominantly on a line with Draisaitl and scored ZERO goals. Rattie played mostly with McDavid for 50 games and scored 4.

And he inherited approximately $13M tied up in buyout worthy Lucic, Russel and Sekera, and dealt a crushing blow with the early retirement of his #1D

2023 (August)

Lucic is now Kane
Kassian is now Brown
Reider is now Hyman
Chiasson is now Foegele
Khaira is now McLeod
Pulju is now Holloway
Caggiula is now Janmark
Brodziak is now Ryan
Rattie is now Lavoie
Klef is now Ekholm
Benning is now Bouchard

Larsson is now Ceci (and even this has been mixed vs Edmonton's inconsistent version of Larsson)
Russel is now Kulak
Gravel is now Broberg/Desharnais
Talbot is now Skinner

Koskinen is now Campbell (gonna call this a draw for now)

Everything in green is indisputably better, and next year's GM will have only $5M (vs ~13) in dead cap...
Good post.
One thing though that IMO you should have in red is the Nurse contract. Its significant because that overpayment has exacerbated the cap issue for this team.

Reactions: ujju2

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Random, but I totally forgot Vegas didn't have to lose a player during the Seattle expansion draft.

What a lark.

I know someone on this board said in defense that they didn't get any of the expansion money. Big whoop. Their owner is worth 1.6 billion. 22 million is nothing to this guy.

Anyways, like and subscribe for more completely dated rants.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Look at the year we drafted Puljujarvi. We had McDavid and Draisaitl playing at full ability and still were 4th worst in the league. The difference between that awful team and this one that will likely win the division is not McDavid or Draisaitl. It is the surrounding cast including the bottom six. It is also the improvements in defense and goaltending. There is still room to improve but everyone knows that. Holland is still a very aggressive GM too so I don't see the pressing need to freak out that there are still flaws on the team
Did we though?

McDavid had 100 points that year and had 153 this year.

Drai had 77 points that year and had 128 this year.

I like some of the moves Holland has made but part of me can't help but wonder how much of that success is Mc and Drai hitting the stratosphere compared to what they were at the start of their careers.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Did we though?

McDavid had 100 points that year and had 153 this year.

Drai had 77 points that year and had 128 this year.

I like some of the moves Holland has made but part of me can't help but wonder how much of that success is Mc and Drai hitting the stratosphere compared to what they were at the start of their careers.
Imo very explainable by the team playing better. If the team is better that's more PP time and less time pinned in the zone. That also explains RNH hitting crazy numbers even though he is exiting his prime. Scoring league wide is rising as well

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I don't think any team has to take them both. If they value staying together they'll take discounts.

The Bruins won the most games in NHL history during the regular season and lost 4 games when it mattered the most. The Oilers went on a ridiculous tear at the end of the season and lost 4 games when it mattered the most. People aren't going to talk about how many they won in the regular season, they're going to be talking about how many they won in the playoffs.

They weren't good enough to beat Vegas. Although I guess they did beat themselves.
no, they weren't good enough to win 4 games against Vegas...just like Vegas wasn't good enough to make the playoffs in 2022
that has no bearing on the upcoming season

Reactions: Leo360

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
the Oilers have won 49 and 50 games the past 2 years...the 2nd best record in the NHL since Woodcroft took over...and the same people are whining about the team isn't good enough LMAO

imagine having this much negativity on your life

You can be very, very good and still not be good enough.

Lots of improvement to be made if we want to win the cup, doesnt mean the team isnt good right now. For example the diff between contender and favorite. Theres def a chance we can win the whole thing as is, but I would still love to see more improvement, couple more pieces.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
You can be very, very good and still not be good enough.

Lots of improvement to be made if we want to win the cup, doesnt mean the team isnt good right now. For example the diff between contender and favorite. Theres def a chance we can win the whole thing as is, but I would still love to see more improvement, couple more pieces.
of course improvement need to be made

Vegas made exactly 1 move all of last offseason...bringing in Adin Hill, who wasn't even their starter for most of the year...and this is a team that MISSED the playoffs and many had pegged them as not as good as Edmonton or Calgary or LA

Reactions: bucks_oil

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Tad this is a terrible strawman and you know it.

And yeah, the best player doesn't always win the Cup. But we're 8 years into this McDavid era and the most we've mustered in the playoffs is 8 wins. This team can win the Stanley Cup but with a roster largely unchanged from last year it can be difficult to see that happening.

Hopefully the team is proactive during the year.

If the team doesn't make a deep run this year do you not think McDavid and Draisatl think about greener pastures? Because the instant they do the Oilers are finished.
I’m on record as thinking they don’t re-sign regardless, but I’m not going to get into that. Obviously the recent Jackson hiring changes things a bit.

But did Ovi go for greener pastures despite winning a ton of individual hardware and multiple presidents trophies with stacked teams year after year and continually being bounced in rounds 1 and 2?

Sometimes it takes longer than you’d like. But as soon as they eventually do win it, all these ifs and buts become ancient history.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I’m on record as thinking they don’t re-sign regardless, but I’m not going to get into that. Obviously the recent Jackson hiring changes things a bit.

But did Ovi go for greener pastures despite winning a ton of individual hardware and multiple presidents trophies with stacked teams year after year and continually being bounced in rounds 1 and 2?

Sometimes it takes longer than you’d like. But as soon as they eventually do win it, all these ifs and buts become ancient history.
It took Michael Jordan 7 years to win his first championship and a lot of people said the same thing about him and that Bulls team not being good enough, not being able to get it done against the best teams.

There’s no timeline for winning.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Curious why nothing has been signed with Bouchard yet after reports of sides getting close a few weeks ago.
Because the primary speculation was by a bullshitter guessing. Holland and Gagner are clearly hammering out their business in private which is what one expects from a competent GM. I don't think there is any real reason to worry.

Reactions: brentashton

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Because the primary speculation was by a bullshitter guessing. Holland and Gagner are clearly hammering out their business in private which is what one expects from a competent GM. I don't think there is any real reason to worry.
At the Jackson presser Holland mentioned they're waiting for Gagner to get back but he expected it any second now or something like that.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
At the Jackson presser Holland mentioned they're waiting for Gagner to get back but he expected it any second now or something like that.
Yes, Gagner was at the Hlinka. Jackson and Holland both were confident of a deal getting done. No reason outside voices needed to guess at some sort of timeline crunch.

Reactions: brentashton
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2