Rumor: Trade Rumors & Proposals Thread | McLeod, You Wanna Get Nuts? Let's Get Nuts!

Who Do We Sign After McLeod and Bouchard Are Extended?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Holland definitely lacks creativity but you must see the differences in at least Vegas from Edmonton. Virtually every significant deal that Vegas had made would not have been possible for the Oilers because they involved players that had NTC/NMC or that were pending free agents who would not resign with the Oilers or were made possible by LTIR moves that were at the very least dubious. The LTIR moves are not something you can just do. You need the right situation.

It's been quite a while since Tampa made a creative deal that made their team better. Mostly they have been shedding depth and paying more than premium prices for players. Like Vegas they had a massive advantage in that players were eager to go there and even to sign at a discount.

With Colorado I don't see a lot of creativity in their deals. They had benefitted from MacKinnon's contract being just a hair over half of his actual value but now they are paying the price for that. They had to take a massive hit to their depth after winning. This year they are using their LTIR on Landeskog to add Johansson but that does not make them a better team than if Landeskog was healthy. Before that the most impactful trades they made were Lehkonen for a 2nd and Barron and
Toews for 2 seconds. The latter trade was a home run but it was not really creative. The former was pretty much a standard TDL trade.

As I said it is perfectly reasonable to be critical of Hollands lack of creativity with the cap. But comparing the Oilers situation with these three teams is not really helping the case.
Tampa and Vegas had major advantages with their manipulation of LTIR by making moves to bolster their lineup with the LTIR space then having the luxury of bringing back their best forwards for the playoffs, icing a team $9-$10 million dollars richer than all the other playoff contenders. I don't blame them for that, I put that on the league. They had very good teams either way but it sure helps to add a Kucherov and a Stone to an already capped out team.
It helped that they're desirable locations especially in Vegas's case but it also took some cojones for Vegas to pull of the moves they did.

Colorado did benefit from the MacKinnon contract, although we can argue that the Oilers benefitted from the Draisaitl contract but they made a lot of savvy moves to build that roster outside of the homegrown guys. The Toews trade, as you mentioned, was a masterclass. It was their Ekholm trade but better because Toews was younger and they saw the potential in him before others did then locked him up to a ridiculously good contract although they're going to pay the piper soon with him.
The Duchene trade that netted them Byram and Girard. Brilliant
The Barrie trade that netted them Kadri. Great
Taking a chance on Nichushkin. Perhaps a bit of luck but...brilliant
Manson trade was solid, Lehkonen trade was great
Maybe nothing super creative in terms of cap management but absolutely brilliant moves that shaped that Cup roster.

Reactions: Dr Awesome

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
While im not defending Speed(for crying out loud he is saying now we should trade Bouchard)...He does make the point that Holland isnt much above average as a GM and likely has taken this team as far as he can. Not doing much this summer when this team needs a couple of easier fixes and perhaps one larger one is close to criminal or at least accepting a kings bounty in wages for WHAT?
HE SHOULD BE REPLACED VERY SOON!
My suggestion is L. Gilman and E. Tulsky as co GMs.
What's criminal? In the last 2 years he has added Hyman, Kane, Ekholm, Kulak and Brown to this roster. How many GM's have acquired that much talent in the last 2 years?

He has until the deadline before we can judge this years work

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Which part of "wait until mid-season to see who the starter is" do you fail to comprehend?

How many times do I have to bluntly state that I believe Campbell steals the starter's job from Skinner by mid-season?

Does that not mean one goaltender may eventually win the job by proving himself at his trade over the other goaltender, who could in the course of time lose the starters job?

Would one not assume that if Campbell steals the starters role by mid-season that Skinner would still be in the organization, at least until mid-season, to potentially lose that role, and possibly not even be moved at all?

Your feelz told you otherwise. Not me. So stop playing games.

I heard Wayne Gretzky was traded. Chris Pronger and Mark Messier too.

Building of off that synergism I find it hard to believe our management can't scour the league to find a number 4 defenseman, a number 5 defenseman and a number 3 centerman that actually know how to play f***ing hockey.

3 players. 3 upgrades that can play two-way hockey better than the players we already have in the organization. It doesn't even necessarily have to be "exactly" 3 players.

Not one of them a goaltender but 3 players, again it doesn't have to be specifically 3 players, that greatly increase the Oilers defensive outlook transforming the club overall from and offensive team that relies on the power play to win in the regular season into a powerhouse club that wins in the playoffs.
If Campbell has a resurgence I still think the better option would be to get out from under his contract and upgrade on him over Skinner.

Stu is a decent, young, promising goalie signed to a decently cheap contract. I think it far more likely that Campbell is what he has shown to be his entire career. There’s not really much upside there, whereas Skinner has upside still.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
What's criminal? In the last 2 years he has added Hyman, Kane, Ekholm, Kulak and Brown to this roster. How many GM's have acquired that much talent in the last 2 years?

Likely the best player to ever play the game.

A second number 1 center, one of the best centers playing in the current era.

A spectacular power play.

No Stanley Cups.

Criminal is the f***ing perfect description.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
I hope this year as the playoffs approach were in a position to not let McDavid and Draisaitl pursue their 160 pts and 130 pts respectively. Hopefully with the last 15 games we can start sitting them every other game and reduce their minutes substantially.
McDavid in particular looked like death warmed over the last few games of the season and into the playoffs.
Of course trying to wait till the deadline to see which of the four risks you have taken pan out and deciding 2 or 3 didnt is a major fing mistake. Criminal comes to mind but really its just a GM outmoded by time ....

Come on JEFF ...ease Holland over into a directorship or something...and begin the interview process. Tomorrow is Friday...3 pm is an auspicious time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duke74

powerserge

Oct 12, 2022
Likely the best player to ever play the game.

A second number 1 center, one of the best centers playing in the current era.

A spectacular power play.

No Stanley Cups.

Criminal is the f***ing perfect description.
Oilers following the Pens and Hawks model of building their team. McD/Drai like it or not taking 25-30% of the cap. No rise in cap in 5 years makes it hard to obtain those players. Need our goalies to perform better in the playoffs.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Oilers following the Pens and Hawks model of building their team. McD/Drai like it or not taking 25-30% of the cap. No rise in cap in 5 years makes it hard to obtain those players. Need our goalies to perform better in the playoffs.
This is justification for doing nothing or very little. There were and there continue to be things that could be done through trade. For some its too late this summer and for other it will have to come after the start of the season.
Further just saying we need our goalies to perform better is hogwash. DO something about it.
Fire Dustin and bring in a proven goalie savant.
Hire a full time Psychologist and find something Campbell can focus on outside work time.
Campbell was a move of desperation by Holland ...now its either devise a strategy to change him out or find a strategy to fix him. So far he has done neither. Hell he hasn't got the trading ability/outside the box thinking to do either one.

Last edited:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I hope this year as the playoffs approach were in a position to not let McDavid and Draisaitl pursue their 160 pts and 130 pts respectively. Hopefully with the last 15 games we can start sitting them every other game and reduce their minutes substantially.
McDavid in particular looked like death warmed over the last few games of the season and into the playoffs.
Of course trying to wait till the deadline to see which of the four risks you have taken pan out and deciding 2 or 3 didnt is a major fing mistake. Criminal comes to mind but really its just a GM outmoded by time ....

Come on JEFF ...ease Holland over into a directorship or something...and begin the interview process. Tomorrow is Friday...3 pm is an auspicious time.
Zero teams in the nhl sit their stars every other game for the last 15.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta

Who cares....we are obviously dependent on them in the playoffs....as they go the team can follow.
Without them we go nowhere. Does it look like Tampa or Joe Sakic or Vegas cares or lets what other teams do limit what they do? Tampa 20 mill over the cap....bought a cup, Sakic new ideas about the middle six thinking and trading in the summer for key assets, Vegas assembling a bottom 8 and 2 defense that can skate and take care of business.
They devised their own strategy. Your idea....lets do what all the other teams do!
Lets fire Kenny and Brad and Dustin tomorrow and bring in Gillman and Eric Tulsky and Patrick Roy on Monday.

Last edited:

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I mean which mechanism is in place that prevents the Edmonton Oilers, and only the Edmonton Oilers from making creative trades involving players, prospects and draft picks to upgrade the team? Tampa Bay, Colorado and Vegas make trades to enrich their competitive chances. We did, that one time but...

Tampa Bay Lightning
Colorado Avalanche
Vegas Golden Knights
Edmonton Oilers

One of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn't belong. Three of these things belong together, three of these things are kind of the same. Can you guess which one of these doesn't belong here?

Did you guess which thing was not like the others? Did you guess which thing just doesn't belong?
If you guessed the Edmonton Oilers are not like the others, then you're absolutely... right!

Yet you ignore facts. Holland got Ekholm cuz he had no choice to come here.
Oilers have been in on Markstrom and countless other players to improve the team, but the players veto'd it.

Comparing Vegas and Tampa to Edm as comparables is just stupid and dishonest

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Oilers have been in on Markstrom and countless other players to improve the team, but the players veto'd it.

No question Hawker and Bobby our geographic location makes attracting free agentsand trading for players with trade clauses much harder.....Thats why part of the skills our GM needs is creative trading.
Not saying we need a Jimmie Rutherford or a Kyle Dubas but we need more than steak and tatoes.

Last edited:

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

I think they want the cup not points

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
if the oilers signed toews for the year, and campbell wasnt horrible, we'd only have to worry about RD going into TDL. We could probably contend for presidents trophy if all that materialized. Not sure if any of it will though.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Teams sign players to two way contracts all the time on FA day. How did this in any way inhibit Holland from doing anything?
I never said it inhibited Holland from doing anything. Im wondering why the Oilers would even want the player. On any day. He’s terrible.
The poster you agreed with will create anything to complain about no matter how insignificant (which is getting beyond tiresome) and these signings are as insignificant as it gets
So what? I’m not sure why the poster is suddenly so active, but I don’t have to like him to notice when he says something that make sense. Drake Caggiula was no good the first time he was here, and he’s orders of magnitude a worse player now. Do not need. Do not want.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020

Edmonton used to win Stanley Cup championships. Tampa and Vegas aren't hockey markets. If they don't win the fanbases stop giving a flying f*** and those pile of shit franchises wouldn't draw flies. What's stupid and dishonest is all the fake f***ery run by this racketeer.
13581897_web1_WEB-Bettman-Apr06-20.jpg

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

Makes you laugh to see people claiming he's done nothing. The lengths some will go to make s**t up just to publicly whine is astonishing

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Tampa and Vegas had major advantages with their manipulation of LTIR by making moves to bolster their lineup with the LTIR space then having the luxury of bringing back their best forwards for the playoffs, icing a team $9-$10 million dollars richer than all the other playoff contenders. I don't blame them for that, I put that on the league. They had very good teams either way but it sure helps to add a Kucherov and a Stone to an already capped out team.
It helped that they're desirable locations especially in Vegas's case but it also took some cojones for Vegas to pull of the moves they did.

Colorado did benefit from the MacKinnon contract, although we can argue that the Oilers benefitted from the Draisaitl contract but they made a lot of savvy moves to build that roster outside of the homegrown guys. The Toews trade, as you mentioned, was a masterclass. It was their Ekholm trade but better because Toews was younger and they saw the potential in him before others did then locked him up to a ridiculously good contract although they're going to pay the piper soon with him.
The Duchene trade that netted them Byram and Girard. Brilliant
The Barrie trade that netted them Kadri. Great
Taking a chance on Nichushkin. Perhaps a bit of luck but...brilliant
Manson trade was solid, Lehkonen trade was great
Maybe nothing super creative in terms of cap management but absolutely brilliant moves that shaped that Cup roster.
The Toews deal is actually criminal. The Oilers have never picked these cap strapped teams and I wish they would. Colorado's management is an entire league above ours.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Until the team he has put on the ice delivers Holland should be scrutinized. The defense and goaltending are currently not championship calibre.
Neither are the bottom six forwards or the teams' systems, that falls on the coaching staff... also management, for not finding better players who can play a more appropriate style of hockey.

Someone needs to explain to me how we are a serious contender and not a power play sideshow.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Until the team he has put on the ice delivers Holland should be scrutinized. The defense and goaltending are currently not championship calibre.
Neither are the bottom six forwards or the teams' systems, that falls on the coaching staff... also management, for not finding better players who can play a more appropriate style of hockey.

Someone needs to explain to me how we are a serious contender and not a power play sideshow.

God I hate the summer.

OGC.61dc149cfe97ef4bfde6f7ff69aaf4cc

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

No they don’t. You’ve made up your mind about how this team is shit in your eyes, that nothing other than your inane ideas are the solution and anyone who says otherwise are just blind fanboys.

Spare us the bullshit of how someone needs to convince you. Team could win a Stanley cup and you’d be whining about how it wasn’t the way you wanted it.

It’s hilarious how you mention this team won Stanley cups but can’t grasp that every year the best player doesn’t end up winning the cup. Shit happens.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Your limiting yourself to free agents. I realize Holland has extreme trouble making anything but simple straight forward trades. But even you must admit 3 or 4 teams made it plain as day they were open for business. Philly ...Noah Cates upcoming RFA was available early june and even early July. Could Briere made it any more obvious that deals for prospects and picks were available.
Also Montreal and Winnipeg and San Jose were all open to ideas.
Philly has Morgan Frost, Sean Couturier, Scott Laughton...they very likey dont/didnt want to have a guy like Cates playing 4C. One of these four will end up playing wing.
I can put a big neon sign out the says "Open for business, everything must go". But if I also price all my goods at far over their market value all I get for my trouble is a big electric bill.

There is a reason why Briere made only one significant trade despite supposedly having everyone and his dog on the block. For example the ask for Scott Laughton was reported to be a 1st++ and supposedly that 1st was not going to be a late first. From the Oilers you would be looking at something like a 1st and Holloway I assume. So the cost would be very high for a guy who in a third line role would probably be a 30-35 point forward on the Oilers since he won't be getting pp time like he did in Philadelphia. No question he would be a great add at 3C but even to fit him in you would have to move Foegele for basically picks and prospects.

The Oilers biggest need is top pairing RHD. Neither Montreal or Winnipeg have such a player that they would be willing to part with. SJ had Karlsson, but once the Ekholm deal was done Karlsson became an almost impossible add.

It seems clear to many of us that the best time for the Oilers to make a bigger move is at the deadline. There should be more options and the main needs will be clearer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad