Rumor: Trade Rumors & Proposals Thread | McLeod, You Wanna Get Nuts? Let's Get Nuts!

Who Do We Sign After McLeod and Bouchard Are Extended?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Wow... you joined when you were ten?!

I apologize, us old farts during the decade of darkness must have been a strong influence in your formative years.
This group last won a cup in 1990. I actually first made an account in the summer after the loss to the Canes while I was pretty young in public school, but it got lost somewhere. Remade going into high school if I remember correctly.

Times flies when you're having fun huh!

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
You just know we will get this from other teams fans too. The goalposts would move from "You can't even get McDavid a cup" to "you only got ONE cup with McDavid". Just how it goes!
Someone will be around to complain about it. If McDavid wins a cup the hate will be tenfold. And you'll love it.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Well it's a good thing he's leaving a golden cap situation for the next guy, right?

And no, the majority of the core pieces were either in place (McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, Nurse) or drafted by the previous regime (McLeod, Bouchard, Skinner, Desharnais)

He gets credit for some good additions (Ekholm, Kane, Hyman) and some misses and poor contracts (Campbell, Nurse, Kassian) He DOES move very slowly, though, it's not outlandish to say that. It took him three and a half years to add a bonafide top four D and ran the same goalie tandem for three seasons.

When he came on he said it was going to have to be a patient approach... "I like to grind away" to build a contender that would be lasting.

The goal is build a team and limit the mistakes you make that shortchange the long term goal. That's not the same as making NO mistakes.

And, as my earlier post points out he has turned over EVERY roster position except McD, Drai, RNH and Nurse. And every one of those 2019 vs today exchanges (with the exception of Ceci for Larsson and, arguably, Campbell for Koskinen) is a net win.

He ran the same goalie tandem for three years, because one of them was a starter batting 0.913 for <$2M... and the other one was an untradeable backup at $4.5M - we were able to endure him without crippling ourselves with a lengthy buyout, solely because Holland's patience had patched Chia's gaping hole with Smith.

He didn't wait 3.5 years to add a bonafide top four D. He added a bonafide #2 and at a good price (contract & assets). And that was only one year after losing Larsson.

Yes it was slow, but it was deliberate and provided we can hold onto Drai and McD, this team is going to be well positioned to win multiple cups, with plenty of cap space available while they are 26 - 33 years old.

In contrast, Chiarelli took a fast and furious approach (Lucic, Hall/Larsson, Reinhardt, Koskinen, Eberle/Strome/nothing, etc) that literally crippled us and took Holland (I'd argue) 3 years to unwind.

We shouldn't be happy with every move he made, but the net outcome is indisputably positive now and going forward with our next GM. That's what slow patience does. You F up less often and less drastically.

Reactions: GOilers88

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
This group last won a cup in 1990. I actually first made an account in the summer after the loss to the Canes while I was pretty young in public school, but it got lost somewhere. Remade going into high school if I remember correctly.

Times flies when you're having fun huh!

I can't do math today apparently. Somehow I read joined 2010 as 2000. 2010 - 1990 is obviously not 10.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
There's no team in this universe that's paying Bouchard's meandering ass 8M. If some other parallel universe offers that I'll drive him to the quantum space station. As long as we get the draft pick compensation.

In the Bettman free zone the Oilers might know how to draft. The place where McDrai already have multiple cups with none of Bettman's fake markets sucking them all up. There you'll never have to endure a single sports betting commercial.
Unfortunately for you I guess... you'll be watching this player play for $8+ million 2 years from now (hopefully with the Oilers).

Save your spaceship budget fund for some popcorn and wobbly pops to watch the sweet, sweet moves that Bouchard's "meandering ass" makes as he skates around the ice showcasing his defensive wizardry.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
When he came on he said it was going to have to be a patient approach... "I like to grind away" to build a contender that would be lasting.

The goal is build a team and limit the mistakes you make that shortchange the long term goal. That's not the same as making NO mistakes.

And, as my earlier post points out he has turned over EVERY roster position except McD, Drai, RNH and Nurse. And every one of those 2019 vs today exchanges (with the exception of Ceci for Larsson and, arguably, Campbell for Koskinen) is a net win.

He ran the same goalie tandem for three years, because one of them was a starter batting 0.913 for <$2M... and the other one was an untradeable backup at $4.5M - we were able to endure him without crippling ourselves with a lengthy buyout, solely because Holland's patience had patched Chia's gaping hole with Smith.

He didn't wait 3.5 years to add a bonafide top four D. He added a bonafide #2 and at a good price (contract & assets). And that was only one year after losing Larsson.

Yes it was slow, but it was deliberate and provided we can hold onto Drai and McD, this team is going to be well positioned to win multiple cups, with plenty of cap space available while they are 26 - 33 years old.

In contrast, Chiarelli took a fast and furious approach (Lucic, Hall/Larsson, Reinhardt, Koskinen, Eberle/Strome/nothing, etc) that literally crippled us and took Holland (I'd argue) 3 years to unwind.

We shouldn't be happy with every move he made, but the net outcome is indisputably positive now and going forward with our next GM. That's what slow patience does. You F up less often and less drastically.
It's Chinese water torture with Holland.
Unfortunately for you I guess... you'll be watching this player play for $8+ million 2 years from now (hopefully with the Oilers).

Save your spaceship budget fund for some popcorn and wobbly pops to watch the sweet, sweet moves that Bouchard's "meandering ass" makes as he skates around the ice showcasing his defensive wizardry.
Post like this make me wish Bouchard would get traded. Like right now.

Bouchard is as slow on the ice as Holland is on the GM front.

The time is stretching out in this universe.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com

Um, you forgot to quote who you were talking to. Your post needs some context.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
You may have the person I quoted ignored (I think many do). :)
200 (1).gif

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
I read Toews is not playing next year. Do your hunches read the news? Lol
Perhaps while Toews is counting his quarters and shining his gold he will write a triumvirate of books...and perhaps he wont.
...the first one titled ....

Once a hockey player

The second...

Screwed by Management

The third ...still not chosen but between two titles...

How the medical people help me pretend to be sick

or

How i got paid 10 million for doing sweet F all.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Faster than you rate him since you’ve got a raging for wanting him gone for scraps.
Not for scraps. I want Bouchard traded for several high draft picks and perhaps a very good prospect, because we have so few. Of both.

Then the Oilers must trade those draft picks, along with our own draft picks and players, in several transactions for better players between now and the deadline.

All in with the draft picks for high character playoff winning type players. Trade for players and cap space to win Stanley Cups. That's the best universe in my mind. Capiche?

• Haha
Reactions: TB12

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Not for scraps. I want Bouchard traded for several high draft picks and perhaps a very good prospect, because we have so few. Of both.

Then the Oilers must trade those draft picks, along with our own draft picks and players, in several transactions for better players between now and the deadline.

All in with the draft picks for high character playoff winning type players. Trade for players and cap space to win Stanley Cups. That's the best universe in my mind. Capiche?
It's simple - we just trade our players for better ones and then win the Stanley Cup!

Trading Bouchard, unless we are forced to as the result of some contract dispute, would be a black eye on this franchise for years to come

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
It's simple - we just trade our players for better ones and then win the Stanley Cup!

Trading Bouchard, unless we are forced to as the result of some contract dispute, would be a black eye on this franchise for years to come
You overestimate Bouchard's abilities and character. Several players currently on the Oilers roster could be upgraded upon. The Oilers need to make trades. We don't have what it takes to win a championship in house.

For instance what could the Oilers get for a package of Kulak, a first rounder and Lavoie? The first rounder coming via a Bouchard trade. Then another trad involving our own first rounder plus McLeod and Bourgault. Then another trade involving players and prospects and a couple of second rounders. One of those second rounders also picked up in a Bouchard trade.

The team starts to look really good. Then we close in on the Stanley Cup.
Just remember...Puljujärvi was an elite player and made every line better....according to that source
No, he was a typical Oilers draft selection, bobby boy.

Jamie

Mar 2, 2002
Victoria, BC
Visit site
I read Toews is not playing next year. Do your hunches read the news? Lol
It said he is taking a break from hockey, not retiring. Him and Kane are resting and recovering, then will buddy up for half a season and playoffs for 1 more cup together. Won't play in the year of 2023 again.

EDIT: "I’d like to announce that I am not fully retiring, but I am taking time away from the game again this season. I cannot deny my love for the game of hockey and still feel the passion for competing at my highest level."

He's left it very open for a return.

Reactions: Homesick
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad