Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
KK is not ready for top 6,and no reason for him to play in that role. No way will he step over JD or MD yet. He should have showed more than he has so far.
That's just an assumption based on traditional hockey views that young players must suffer through an arbitrary purgatory period before being able to be unleashed.

I think this is an antiquated way of coaching and view hockey in 2019...young players are more ready then ever to play bigger roles on teams. IMO, the teams that have an open mind and evaluate not based on age but actual ability/performance, are the teams that have the most success.

I think what Kotkaniemi has shown so far, is in line with how the coaching staff has used him.

If KK is what we have seen so far,how can he not end up in Laval?
Nonsense

NS is a smart player that plays with paces ,gets more involved,but he has something to prove. Can Play C or W,more options and has shown he can play on the PK or the PP.
People were saying the same about Kotkaniemi last preseason...and next year, when the shine has worn off Suzuki, and his preseason isn't as "new", people will be asking if he should be sent to the AHL.

It happens every year...shiny new toy vs toy we've already seen.

I could have predicted this weeks ago...not surprised.

Reactions: habsfan891

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
There is no way Drouin has Patches value though right now and the longer we wait, the worse it will be IMO
True but I meant get a decent NHL player that could fill in and then a quality prospect. I still think JD could get something like Samoroukov, Puuljaarvi, Jones and a 2nd. Thats 1 excellent prospect, a guy who has high ceiling, a young dman who could play third line right now and a 2nd.

I'd be happy with that because honestly, it doesn't make our team any worst ATM while essentially giving us 3 prospects at positions where we are weakest. Two of which have really high upside.

Reactions: Habs 4 Life

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Not every player, visually tries hard, though.

This could very well be a question of perception.

Some players are more effective when they're working smarter, not harder.

To me, that's where it's at with Drouin...I don't think effort is an issue more then it is for any other player in the league.

The issue with Drouin is he just doesn't play smart, he over complicates things. There's too much style and not enough substance in his game, he just needs a better balance in his game.

Suzuki, with the way he plays now, is implicated in the play. He is near the puck. Defensive and offensively. He is not Gallagher. Will never be. But evidently despite not running around everywhere, he is still perceived as working hard nonetheless. It's not just about moving your feet fast.

It's about paying the price to make plays happen. He is not interested.

Reactions: Miller Time

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Suzuki, with the way he plays now, is implicated in the play. He is near the puck. Defensive and offensively. He is not Gallagher. Will never be. But evidently despite not running around everywhere, he is still perceived as working hard nonetheless. It's not just about moving your feet fast.
A perception that's only recently changed.

Because not too long ago, this was a common and oft-repeated criticism of Suzuki's game and personally, I suspect it'll be revisited as soon as some of the luster inevitably wears off.

It's about paying the price to make plays happen. He is not interested.
A lot of players aren't interested in paying that price, many of them strong point producers.

It's not who he is...that doesn't mean he can't be a better player then he currently is.

I don't think Nick Suzuki will ever be considered as a player who "pays the price" but I also think he's going to be a very good player in the NHL.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
They are about the same.... Not overly implicated in any phases of the game.

I disagree for having seen him in multiple occasions. And again, the day that you have to trade Drouin is the day that you have to acquire question marks too. I have no idea how people can have some problems with Drouin....and want a top player with no question marks....

I'm just trying to go for something more realistic. Unless....you keep Drouin till he really has no value....and get nothing for him. I prefer to take a chance on Ehlers than to get nothing.

Yoor

Mar 17, 2015
After practice, the journalists asked Jonathan Drouin about his playing right wing during camp and he looked annoyed quite frankly. The reply came; "I'm back on left wing so we can stop talking about the right wing now." He might have said the right things this summer but so far, he's failed to meet expectations on the ice and that interview shows that he's still the same old Drouin.
this may be petty of me, but I never did like the fact that he is always sitting down in his interviews. I'm not even a Drouin "hater" per se it just comes across as a bit disrespectful to me or something like that...I don't know, it has the same feel as when someone shakes your hand with a limp hand. It is telling about ones character.

angusyoung

Bersantai
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
That's just an assumption based on traditional hockey views that young players must suffer through an arbitrary purgatory period before being able to be unleashed.

I think this is an antiquated way of coaching and view hockey in 2019...young players are more ready then ever to play bigger roles on teams. IMO, the teams that have an open mind and evaluate not based on age but actual ability/performance, are the teams that have the most success.

I think what Kotkaniemi has shown so far, is in line with how the coaching staff has used him.

Nonsense

People were saying the same about Kotkaniemi last preseason...and next year, when the shine has worn off Suzuki, and his preseason isn't as "new", people will be asking if he should be sent to the AHL.

It happens every year...shiny new toy vs toy we've already seen.

I could have predicted this weeks ago...not surprised.

Yup! pretty much as I was leading to,IF! a huge word. And KK has shown ...this pre season,it's not really debatable,what has he shown?

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

Because not too long ago, this was a common and oft-repeated criticism of Suzuki's game and personally, I suspect it'll be revisited as soon as some of the luster inevitably wears off.

Idea here was that Suzuki found juniors so easy that he wasn't given his 100%. What he's showing now is that he understands the challenge and that talent alone won't be enough.

A lot of players aren't interested in paying that price, many of them strong point producers.

It's not who he is...that doesn't mean he can't be a better player then he currently is.

I don't think Nick Suzuki will ever be considered as a player who "pays the price" but I also think he's going to be a very good player in the NHL.

Who doesn't pay the price by being strong point producer? Kucherov? So not true...guy is regularly in front of the net paying the price and cutting down the middle. Who else? Who else is a strong poing producer while being almost exclusively a perimeter player?

Reactions: Miller Time

Jul 6, 2016
this may be petty of me, but I never did like the fact that he is always sitting down in his interviews. I'm not even a Drouin "hater" per se it just comes across as a bit disrespectful to me or something like that...I don't know, it has the same feel as when someone shakes your hand with a limp hand. It is telling about ones character.

You see too far.... The guy just come back from strenuous exercices. If it would show something is not disrespect, but more a message to media that he is not interested to talk to them.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Kotkaniemi has shown the exact same as 90% of players scheduled to make this team...

Not much

Only difference is that most of them showed a lot last year. Reason why they have a pass. Just that people who f***ed up last year and it seems to continue this year despite being only preseason, they will have a harder time. And at one point, it seems tough to believe that they'll be better while playing against tougher opposition. But hey, stranger things have happened.

Jul 6, 2016
I disagree for having seen him in multiple occasions. And again, the day that you have to trade Drouin is the day that you have to acquire question marks too. I have no idea how people can have some problems with Drouin....and want a top player with no question marks....

I'm just trying to go for something more realistic. Unless....you keep Drouin till he really has no value....and get nothing for him. I prefer to take a chance on Ehlers than to get nothing.

Yeah, I guess.... It's better than ending up with guys like Toffoli or Zucker !

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Idea here was that Suzuki found juniors so easy that he wasn't given his 100%. What he's showing now is that he understands the challenge and that talent alone won't be enough.
Or maybe there's just a better appreciation for the type of player he is and what he can bring to the Habs?

Who doesn't pay the price by being strong point producer? Kucherov? So not true...guy is regularly in front of the net paying the price and cutting down the middle. Who else? Who else is a strong poing producer while being almost exclusively a perimeter player?
Gaudreau
Stamkos
Teravainen
Hoffman
Reinhart

There's quite a few...you may have a different evaluation of said players but none of these players are players who I consider to be guys who "play inside".

They do most of their damage from the perimeter or use a ton of guile (Gaudreau for example) to fool opponents.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
.... Which is alarming for a raw 19 y.o. kid with such talent.
Not really...

It would be alarming if he came to camp and was placed in between Domi & Drouin all camp and used like a #1C...

But that wasn't the case

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Only difference is that most of them showed a lot last year. Reason why they have a pass. Just that people who ****ed up last year and it seems to continue this year despite being only preseason, they will have a harder time. And at one point, it seems tough to believe that they'll be better while playing against tougher opposition. But hey, stranger things have happened.
Jeez...tough crowd man.

I think Kotkaniemi showed a ton last year. Let's not remember that not too long ago, some people thought he was a mistake as a draft pick and should have never come to North America.

Kotkaniemi ****ed up last year?

How exactly?

Reactions: Trash Man

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O

Mostly by people who only ever saw him play at the WJC. Suzuki was killing penalties and taking the important defensive zone draws all year in the O. Glad that the "lazy" narrative is gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad