Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
That's very innocent from you to think like that.

You expected Drouin to have a long rope
after how he ended last season, after what he said this offseason AND MOSTLY how he played in preseason? He should be flying out there yet he's one of our worst player in this offseason. He put a target on his back so please don't make him a victim of us.. or even the coach. If he just played relatively decent, we wouldn't be talking about him. He played so bad that we HAD to talk about his preseason "performance".
I'll repeat what I wrote in the very post you quoted

"Man, I knew Jonathan Drouin would have a very short rope this year"

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Meh, Ehlers is marginally better than Drouin. Not worth it.

Not worth it...compared to what? Not worth to have better? What do you think you can have for an underperforming with bad attitude player that makes 5M? I'm just realist here and hope that if you can trade Drouin, you trade Drouin for another guy with question marks, and you have to hope that change of scenery will be key.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The 2 that showed the least in pre-season. Drouin will stay up not matter what,but if KK shows the same,can easily be sent to Laval as the Habs can replace a center at this point that is more substantial.
I personally never really care about preseason performances for players who were on the team the year prior.

When it comes to Kotkaniemi's preseason...I think the coaching staff has clearly shown they're not ready for him to have a bigger role on this team, his role and place on the team is status quo compared to last year.

I also don't think there's a chance he ends up in Laval this year.

I think the coaching staff did a terrible job this preseason compared to last year. There was way less experimenting last year.

This year they've done way too much tinkering and experimenting with the lineup. If they get off to a slow start, they only have themselves to blame.

Here we have Nick Suzuki slated to start the year with Domi & Lehkonen...yet he hasn't played a single minute (as of yet) with Domi this preseason.

Same with Kulak and Fleury...

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Man...I knew Jonathan Drouin would have a very short rope this year.

Just never thought it was zero regular games short.

I can already feel a groundswell buildup for the next Habs player scapegoat...

Step right up Jesperi...you're next!

So...does preseason game means something or not? Why do we judge rookies for their ability to stick around but can't judge vets for their ability to perform against weaker lineups?

And to this day, some people for Jesperi, had suggested to send him down in the AHL. To this day, I have no idea how that could be seen as extremely negative. A Pacioretty at the start of his career suggested to the Habs to get his ass down if they were not going to use him a lot so that he'd get his confidence back. Let say that happens to Kotka....that would really destroy him? I'm not advocating to do so just yet....but I don't see how that's scapegoating to wish he'd go to the AHL for some games.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Somehow we badmouth the crowd for being on Drouin's back and having some questions about Kotka....but no words on how the fans loved Primeau, loved Fleury, loved Suzuki, loved Poehling etc.

But hey, Habs fans are soooo bad.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
What in the world would you get for Drouin? Well you might get a guy that is a Drouin and that your bet is that a change of scenery will fix all this for both teams.
Sure...but not sure i'd pay a premium on top of trading Drouin to get Ehlers.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Idea with Drouin here is to be at much proactive as we can. They are inside this team. WE are not. Well they better know if he can give you more than what he's showing. 'Cause if not, you have to move him. So that you don't keep him till his value is less than nothing so you could get John Scott for him....

Reactions: habsfan891

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I don't think Drouin will net the Habs a quality LD which is absolutely what we should be looking for. Smart thing would be to get some good prospects or do what we did with Patches.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
So...does preseason game means something or not? Why do we judge rookies for their ability to stick around but can't judge vets for their ability to perform against weaker lineups?
I can't speak for others - but there's really only 2 things I look for in preseason.

- No injuries to key players
- To see how rookies (i.e. players who have never played in the NHL before) perform and have progressed over the summer

Pour le reste? Je m'en bat les couilles.

And to this day, some people for Jesperi, had suggested to send him down in the AHL. To this day, I have no idea how that could be seen as extremely negative. A Pacioretty at the start of his career suggested to the Habs to get his ass down if they were not going to use him a lot so that he'd get his confidence back. Let say that happens to Kotka....that would really destroy him? I'm not advocating to do so just yet....but I don't see how that's scapegoating to wish he'd go to the AHL for some games.
I don't see a reason to send Kotkaniemi down to the AHL...I find even the suggestion ludicrous at this stage.

He'd have to completely fall flat on his face this year for me to think he should go down to the AHL.

Overcoming adversity is a part of development...it's just not always going to be an upwards trajectory.

I just think that expectations with Kotkaniemie this preseason are totally out of whack with how the coaching staff has used and prepared him.

He's spent all of preseason dragging around a player who might get waived today (Charles Hudon) and Joel Armia, his ball and chain from the year prior.

Let's just take a deep breath...in 7 days from now no one will remember or even care about preseason performances.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
I don't see a reason to send Kotkaniemi down to the AHL...I find even the suggestion ludicrous at this stage.

I also think it's too early. And I also thinks that it makes no sense just yet. But it's actually...just that. Nobody is on the kid's back. Nobody is adding his name to a scapegoat list.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I also think it's too early. And I also thinks that it makes no sense just yet. But it's actually...just that. Nobody is on the kid's back. Nobody is adding his name to a scapegoat list.
Oh it's coming...Drouin's firmly entrenched right now but depending on what happens to him.

Someone's got to take the mantle - because someone always does lol.

The media plays a big role in how things are perceived and they've been on his back from game 1 of this preseason.

Reactions: Victorius

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Oh it's coming...Drouin's firmly entrenched right now but depending on what happens to him.

Someone's got to take the mantle - because someone always does lol.

The media plays a big role in how things are perceived and they've been on his back from game 1 of this preseason.

It will go back to where it should. On Bergevin.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
I maybe misunderstood your post then because you wrote

"package something along with Drouin to get the kid"

If so, my bad, disregard the initial post then.

Well it does mean to add something to Drouin...but it doesn't mean premium. We are taking 6M$ after all. But more years than what's left for Drouin. For the Jets, it gives them an extra million to deal with Connor and Laine.

I would do the deal. And I sincerely think it's a fair deal for both. We could try 1 on 1. I just don't believe they'd say yes to that immediately. So maybe we add, and they add too.

Reactions: 417

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Not sure why people disapprove the Ehlers vs Drouin deal based on it's around the same value so far.....didn't people learned their lesson with Domi for Galchy? As in, starting in a new place could transform a guy's career?

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Well I was purely talking about players...the bullseye is always firmly fixed on Bergevin.

I don't think there's any worry there.

What people don't like in Montreal are players that don't seem to care. And don't give their full effort. Drouin could be -798 in preseason, if he'd play hard and recognize that he has to change his game to be more effective, people wouldn'T be on his back. If Kotka struggles but work hard, peopole will be way more on Julien for not giving him top players on the kid himself.

Reactions: yianik

angusyoung

Bersantai
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I personally never really care about preseason performances for players who were on the team the year prior.

When it comes to Kotkaniemi's preseason...I think the coaching staff has clearly shown they're not ready for him to have a bigger role on this team, his role and place on the team is status quo compared to last year.

I also don't think there's a chance he ends up in Laval this year.

I think the coaching staff did a terrible job this preseason compared to last year. There was way less experimenting last year.

This year they've done way too much tinkering and experimenting with the lineup. If they get off to a slow start, they only have themselves to blame.

Here we have Nick Suzuki slated to start the year with Domi & Lehkonen...yet he hasn't played a single minute (as of yet) with Domi this preseason.

Same with Kulak and Fleury...

KK is not ready for top 6,and no reason for him to play in that role. No way will he step over JD or MD yet. He should have showed more than he has so far.

If KK is what we have seen so far,how can he not end up in Laval?

NS is a smart player that plays with paces ,gets more involved,but he has something to prove. Can Play C or W,more options and has shown he can play on the PK or the PP.

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
What in the world would you get for Drouin? Well you might get a guy that is a Drouin and that your bet is that a change of scenery will fix all this for both teams.

Not that i disagree with a trade like that cuz i think JD doesnt have the character to climb out of the hole he dig for himself here, but what i find funny is, this seems to me like the......... ''throw everything at the wall and hope it sticks''............ thinking that alot of posters blame MB for

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
What people don't like in Montreal are players that don't seem to care. And don't give their full effort. Drouin could be -798 in preseason, if he'd play hard and recognize that he has to change his game to be more effective, people wouldn'T be on his back. If Kotka struggles but work hard, peopole will be way more on Julien for not giving him top players on the kid himself.
Not every player, visually tries hard, though.

This could very well be a question of perception.

Some players are more effective when they're working smarter, not harder.

To me, that's where it's at with Drouin...I don't think effort is an issue more then it is for any other player in the league.

The issue with Drouin is he just doesn't play smart, he over complicates things. There's too much style and not enough substance in his game, he just needs a better balance in his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad