Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Why not take a shot at winning this season?

I say MB should try and acquire all three of Stone, Hanzal and Goligoski from Arizona. Gives us 6 dmen who can play in most teams top 4 and fills a hole at center.

Beaulieu and Desharnais would go the other way along with one of Pateryn, Andrighetto, Carr etc. This is the easy part as this is just a replacement of warm bodies. The real cost may be Scherbak and two or more high picks or prospects not named Juulsen, Sergachev or McCarron.

Byron, Galchenyuk, Radulov
Lehkonen, Plekanec, Gallagher
Pacioretty, Hanzal, Shaw
Flynn, Mitchell, Danault

Emelin, Weber
Markov, Petry
Goligoski, Stone

Price

IMO that is a serious Cup Contender without having to mortgage the future or disrupt the core. All four forward lines can score and all of them can be trusted against any line. 3LHD and 3 RHD offers alot of flexibility as nobody has to play on their off hand and every defender is a competent top 4 NHL dman.. Emelin is the only one who isn't a decent pp option as the rest of them have had success playing the point.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Well you said that is hiring him would mean Fla can stop paying him, insinuating that the contract would be terminated without further payment by Fla and that's not necessarily true.

Team can continue to pay out his contract even if he coaches another team, they can give him a lump sum payment that's negotiated if he starts up with another club to level the compensation to what he was gettting, etc.

It's not necessarily as clear cut as he has to cancel his contract to get another job.

Pretty sure these contracts have clauses against that.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Pretty sure these contracts have clauses against that.

Depends on the clauses they put in them. We don't know what clauses are or aren't there.

It's not uncommon that there's a timing clause that stipulates if ta coach is fired within a certain amount of time they're guaranteed all the contract. Could also be a lump sum of a percentage of it, a top up clause that says they'll supplement the income to what the contract pays him should another team hire him and pay him less etc etc etc. World of possibilities!

puckluck33*

May 17, 2015

I say MB should try and acquire all three of Stone, Hanzal and Goligoski from Arizona. Gives us 6 dmen who can play in most teams top 4 and fills a hole at center.

Beaulieu and Desharnais would go the other way along with one of Pateryn, Andrighetto, Carr etc. This is the easy part as this is just a replacement of warm bodies. The real cost may be Scherbak and two or more high picks or prospects not named Juulsen, Sergachev or McCarron.

Pacioretty, Hanzal, Shaw
Flynn, Mitchell, Danault

Emelin, Weber
Markov, Petry
Goligoski, Stone

Price

IMO that is a serious Cup Contender without having to mortgage the future or disrupt the core. All four forward lines can score and all of them can be trusted against any line. 3LHD and 3 RHD offers alot of flexibility as nobody has to play on their off hand and every defender is a competent top 4 NHL dman.. Emelin is the only one who isn't a decent pp option as the rest of them have had success playing the point.
Goligoski makes 5.5 million he is mediocre and has a full NMC and NTC he's not going anywhere and Hanzal does nothing to upgrade your #2 center spot,he is basically a bigger version of Plekanec,Montreal needs an offensive #2 center at the deadline like Bryan Little.:)

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Goligoski makes 5.5 million he is mediocre and has a full NMC and NTC he's not going anywhere and Hanzal does nothing to upgrade your #2 center spot,he is basically a bigger version of Plekanec,Montreal needs an offensive #2 center at the deadline like Bryan Little.:)

I would take Hanzal before Little. Little has almost 0 playoffs experience, is not all that great (20-50 player) and is inconsistent. Has been injured a lot lately too. Hanzal is a big two way center. He could share the defensive work with Plekanec and MT would have the luxury to play the one having a good game more.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

Pacioretty, Hanzal, Shaw
Flynn, Mitchell, Danault

Emelin, Weber
Markov, Petry
Goligoski, Stone

Price

That's a credible option to improve the team. What you're doing is removing the weakest parts of the Habs roster (C-grade players) and replacing them with B-grade players at minimal cost. It's a perfectly adequate strategy. If Bergevin does that, I'll be satisfied. It's the most likely scenario as it will be cheap, it will help the team, and there are lots of B-grade players available throughout the league.

However, my preference is for Bergevin to invest big (i.e. 2017+2018 1st rounders) to pick up an elite player, which would push down other players in the Habs lineup to their level of competency. Rather than the cumulative benefits of adding Shaw, Mitchell, Byron etc, we would see the benefit of adding Radulov, which gives us not just the benefit of Radulov on the 1st line, but also pushes Gallagher to the 2nd line and pushes Shaw to the third line and pushes Danault to the 4th line and pushes Andrighetto to the AHL (the cascading effect), in that sense it's plausible that ~1/2 the benefit of adding Radulov occurs when Radulov isn't even on the ice. This is harder to do obviously, it may be that Bergevin tries hard and doesn't find a great deal.

I'm not sure why you have Lehkonen on a higher line than Pacioretty. Can you explain?

Intangiblezz

Oct 21, 2012
I would take Hanzal before Little. Little has almost 0 playoffs experience, is not all that great (20-50 player) and is inconsistent. Has been injured a lot lately too. Hanzal is a big two way center. He could share the defensive work with Plekanec and MT would have the luxury to play the one having a good game more.

Hanzal has had more injuries than Little in their careers and recently.
Hanzal has 23 games of playoff experiencem all of which coming in 2012 and prior.
Hanzal's career high is 41 points where as Little has hit 64 and usually hovers around 50.
Little also plays the PK.

Little is one of the most underrated players in the NHL IMO. While Hanzal's size makes him overrated. Little would actually solve out #2 centre problems for a few years.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Hanzal has 23 games of playoff experiencem all of which coming in 2012 and prior.
Hanzal's career high is 41 points where as Little has hit 64 and usually hovers around 50.

Little is one of the most underrated players in the NHL IMO. While Hanzal's size makes him overrated. Little would actually solve out #2 centre problems for a few years.

I'm a fan of Little, too. He'd be expensive to acquire (relatively speaking) and if the Jets aren't interested in going for it this year maybe they'd look at trading him. Jet's coach Paul Maurice absolutely loves him and wouldn't want to trade him but it's not his decision.

I think we'd start with Beaulieu, 2017 1st and probably Andrighetto and I'm not sure that would get it done.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
Cody Eakin is someone who could help us down the middle.

:habs

Cody Eakin
Jamie Oleksiak

:stars

Nathan Beaulieu
Sven Andrighetto
DD
(maybe a late pick to pick DD even if he's UFA)

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
I'm a fan of Little, too. He'd be expensive to acquire (relatively speaking) and if the Jets aren't interested in going for it this year maybe they'd look at trading him. Jet's coach Paul Maurice absolutely loves him and wouldn't want to trade him but it's not his decision.

I think we'd start with Beaulieu, 2017 1st and probably Andrighetto and I'm not sure that would get it done.

That wouldn't, especially with Jets' D-corp + expansion protection list (Buff-Myers-Trouba-Enstrom (NMC?) )

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu

I agree with this. I feel that Little would cost a lot though. If Winnipeg is pressured by Trouba to trade him, maybe we can send them a defenseman not in our top 3 plus a prospect.

puckluck33*

May 17, 2015
Cody Eakin is someone who could help us down the middle.

:habs

Cody Eakin
Jamie Oleksiak

:stars

Nathan Beaulieu
Sven Andrighetto
DD
(maybe a late pick to pick DD even if he's UFA)
Eakin is a good checking center but does not put up enough offense to be a #2,another center other than Bryan Little is Derek Brassard if Melnyk decides to dump a big contract,and he's had a lot of playoff success,the Islanders are a team that have a lot of players who play center and wing....Nelson,Strome,Bailey,Lee and they are in last place,but i still like Little if the Jets are not in a playoff spot at the deadline,it makes more sense for the Jets to trade him in season,if they wait until the off season they have to sign him to a long term extension or trade him as a player with just 1 year left on his contract.:)

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
The problem with little is that he is little as his name suggests but heck of a player

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
If I was Bergevin, my priority will be Ryan Strome. This guy need a new place and I think he will be good when he will be in a new time like Derick Brassard and Kyle Turris

VirginiaMtlExpat

Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
The problem with little is that he is little as his name suggests but heck of a player

NHL.com has him at 6'. Even if "just" 5'11", that is the height of many talented players, many of whom played when the league was emphasizing size: Sakic, Yzerman, Bourque... With the league now emphasizing speed and creativity more and more, he is not that diminutive.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
I'd love to star the playoffs with Galchenyuk - Hanzal - Plek - Mitchell down the middle. We'd have three solid two-way centres and one elite offensive centre. Hanzal has been over 55% in the faceoff dot for the past three seasons. He gives us much needed size down the middle. He can play with anyone and can be expected to produce .5 ppg and put up over 2 shots a game.

A second line of Pacioretty - Hanzal - Gallagher would be tough to play against and can go up against any line. He would solidify our top6 and would make us a top contender in the East. Our centre depth is the biggest thing hold us back right now, he would solve this problem.

Byron (or human that can skate and hold a stick) - Galchenyuk - Radulov
Patch - Hanzal - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Plekanec - Shaw
Flynn - Mitchell - Carr

Acquiring him shouldn't be too difficult for MB and Arizona owes him one for taking Scott.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
If I was Bergevin, my priority will be Ryan Strome. This guy need a new place and I think he will be good when he will be in a new time like Derick Brassard and Kyle Turris

That seems like a nice buy-low opportunity, especially with MB having dealt with Snow before and if the damning assessment of Capuano is true. I would definitely place a call to Snow if I were MB, while Strome is a healthy scratch.

Edit: I think that I will tweet MB...

Edit2: tweeted him in French. I bet he doesn't get many French tweets from US professors.
@icecoldbergevin Ryan Strome laissé de côté par les Islanders à nouveau. Me semble une opportunité intéressante, p-e à faible coût.

Last edited:

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Most Kyle Turris type acquisitions remain busts. The most recent example is Nail Yakupov.

It's worth it to take a risk on these kinds of players, but you don't add them at the deadline in order to compete for the cup.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Do you think Panarin could sign here if we ended up trading Paccioretty or even if we kept him?

Well we were one of his top choices and we do have a bunch of Russians, so it is a possibility. However if Chicago offers him what he wants, he has no reason to leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad