TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
23-yutaka-fukufuji-funny-hockey-names-25-best-of-all-time.jpg

i want Fukufuji

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Would not mind Jordan Staal one bit. He's at 6M, like Plekanec. So Pleky would need to go the other way. Montreal would need to add to make it work. Carolina has around 19M in cap space, but with the ownership's financial woes, this is one of the team's with an owner-imposed cap.

Staal would be a real solid 2C in my view. He;s 6'4" and 220lbs.

His last four seasons, since he's been with the Hurricanes:

48GP - 10G - 21A - 31 pts
82GP - 15G - 25A - 40 pts
46GP - 6G - 18A - 24 pts
82GP - 20G - 28A - 48 pts

And so far this season: 14GP - 5G - 4A - 9 pts --> on pace for 82GP - 29G - 23A - 52 pts

All this while playing for the Carolina Hurricanes. He's won a Stanley Cup. He's played under Michel Therrien.

He has a NTC and is under contract until 2022-23. He turned 28 in September so this deal will end when he is 34. Not bad, in my view.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I'd take Staal over Pleki in a heartbeat, he'd be 35 by the time his contract ended but that's basically the same age that Plekanec is right now.

Stan

Mar 20, 2005
Plekanec and Beaulieu to Calgary for Dougie Hamilton and Michal Frolik .

I don't think Calgary would have any interest in this and it certainly doesn't address our 2nd line centre issue

Stan

Mar 20, 2005
So you expect to get top 4 dman and top 6 center in one trade?

No, not necessarily, but if you're going to trade Pleks you need to bring in a centre to replace him unless your plan is DD for the rest of the year. I'm sorry, but it doesn't make sense to put the team in that position without addressing the biggest need first.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011

No, not necessarily, but if you're going to trade Pleks you need to bring in a centre to replace him unless your plan is DD for the rest of the year. I'm sorry, but it doesn't make sense to put the team in that position without addressing the biggest need first.

I think Plekanec doesn't do much and he's finished.

I wouldn't mind
Galchenyuk
Danault
Desharnais
Mitchell
down the middle. Potentially adding another depth center at the deadline.
Hamilton is a top 3 and can eat 20+ mins per game.
Frolik is a smart two way and is a Therrien type of player. Can play all 3 forward positions.

Byron-Galchenyuk-Radulov
Pacioretty-Danault-Gallagher
Frolik-Desharnais-Shaw
Carr-Mitchell-Flynn
Andrighetto

Hamilton-Weber
Markov-Petry
Emelin-Pateryn

Price
Montoya

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
your lineup exits playoffs first round. any lineup with dd playong center does, especially without plek to eat defensive minutes

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
Friedman talked about the potential of Saad being made available. He might just be throwing ideas out but:

Saad-Galchenyuk-Radulov
Pacioretty-Plekanec-Gallagher

That's a real top 6. Assuming he is made available, and knowing that MB was after him previously, what does he cost without giving up these 6.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Saad to fill that LW spot in the top 6?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-will-nhl-walk-away-2018-olympics/

7. Speaking of forwards, very curious to see where things go with Columbus and Brandon Saad. He’s fifth on the Blue Jackets in scoring, fifth in time-on-ice among forwards. But he was almost a healthy scratch last week and, somewhere, the team wants to ease its cap crunch. Chicago investigated it last season, but couldn’t make things work. He’s 24 years old and has a lot to give.

6M caphit, so it would take some maneuvering.

I thought I remembered rumors of MB going after Saad before.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
How about getting a guy like Shea Theodore or Brandon Montour from Anaheim? The Ducks are pretty stacked on D.

that's not the direction I would want or expect them to take. They need a guy that will help them win games now. I would look at a UFA since there's a chance you won't have to protect them and if they like it here and want to win plus get a decent contract after the expansion draft it could work out. The problem is finding the right fit and what it will cost.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
what ufa dman even makes our top 4 aside from Burns/Shattenkirk? real weak crop this year

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
what ufa dman even makes our top 4 aside from Burns/Shattenkirk? real weak crop this year

I would look at getting depth first, unless they think Pateryn can handle the job or Redmond when he comes back. If not they need both a top pairing D, which I don't think they will be able to get as the price will be too high. So they need to focus on getting depth now cause there is non on the farm outside of Barberio.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Couple of trades I'd like to see happen before the deadline:

Trade 1 -

To Montreal: Michael Ferland

To Calgary: 2nd round pick, minor prospect

Habs get a kid with good size that punishes people and excels in the tight checking of the playoffs. Flames get good value for their player.

Trade 2 -

To Montreal: Joe Colborne

To Colorado: Nathan Beaulieu

Habs get the third line center with size that they need, and the Avs get a solid young defenseman which they also need.

Trade 3 -

To Montreal: Oliver Ekman-Larsson

To Phoenix: Mikhail Sergachev, 2017 1st rounder, 2017 2nd rounder, a roster player for cap reasons (preferably Desharnais)

Habs get a number one defenseman to play with Weber who will devour minutes. Coyotes get a cost controlled top notch prospect (potentially number one defenseman) that fits in more with their age group.

New look lineup:

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gallagher
Byron - Galchenyuk - Radulov
Carr - Colborne - Shaw
Ferland - Danault - Mitchell

Ekman-Larsson - Weber
Markov - Petry
Emelin - Pateryn

Price
Montoya

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
MB will probably wait to know what Redmond can bring before trading for a D. But yeah, I do think he will want to add a D. Pateryn is OK as a #6-7 d-man. But Beaulieu is a problem. Too good for #7, nice skills, but greatly irregular, to a point where he can be as good as a #2 some games, and look as bad as an AHLer some other nights. To win a cup, I believe you are better set with a #4-5 who play like a #4-5 every game...

Getting a center can come later. On any given night, Plekanec, Desharnais, and even Daneault or Shaw (to a lesser extend) might get you some #2C caliber hockey. It is not ideal since the opposite is also true sometimes, but at least, it can do the trick for 40-60 games if the coach chose mostly right when looking for the hot hand.

But to fight for the cup, yeah, Habs need both a #2C and a top 4 LD.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Saad to fill that LW spot in the top 6?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-will-nhl-walk-away-2018-olympics/

6M caphit, so it would take some maneuvering.

I thought I remembered rumors of MB going after Saad before.

Yes. There was a rumour that MB was preparing to offersheet him knowing Chicago couldn't match due to their cap issues. This is why they traded him to Columbus. They would have gotten draft picks from MTL if they didn't match the offer. But Hawks are still in win now mode and preferred trading him for a current NHLer.

You know MB would definitely be interested in Saad. I'm not sure he's willing to pay the price. But he went after Danault and traded for Shaw, and they were both drafted in 2011 when MB was in Chicago. He even had a hand in those players being drafted. Brandon Saad is another of Chicago's 2011 draft picks (2nd round). So you know MB thinks highly of these guys he scouted.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I think Plekanec doesn't do much and he's finished.

I wouldn't mind
Galchenyuk
Danault
Desharnais
Mitchell

down the middle. Potentially adding another depth center at the deadline.
Hamilton is a top 3 and can eat 20+ mins per game.
Frolik is a smart two way and is a Therrien type of player. Can play all 3 forward positions.

Byron-Galchenyuk-Radulov
Pacioretty-Danault-Gallagher
Frolik-Desharnais-Shaw
Carr-Mitchell-Flynn
Andrighetto

Hamilton-Weber
Markov-Petry
Emelin-Pateryn

Price
Montoya

rzxv7.gif

Plekanec doesn't do much... Except shoulder the bulk of the defensive responsibilities.

Can't believe anyone wouldn't see a problem going forward with a center depth that has Danault on the 2nd line and Desharnais as a regular.

Our center line is already somewhat weak as it is, no need to make it worse.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Friedman talked about the potential of Saad being made available. He might just be throwing ideas out but:

Saad-Galchenyuk-Radulov
Pacioretty-Plekanec-Gallagher

That's a real top 6. Assuming he is made available, and knowing that MB was after him previously, what does he cost without giving up these 6.

What do you guys think might be the ask on Saad, assuming he's available?

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I really don't think Plekanec is the problem.

I would trade him for the right return, but I don't think he is a horrible 2C for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->