Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Loyal Dog

Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
If they can't extend him they should trade him this year cause his value will be a lot less next year.

Patch-Sergachev-1st would actually be too much for him next year.

I think Tavares mentioned somewhere that he wants to play for the Islanders. It's too bad for him, because the longer he stays there, the smaller the chances are that he'll ever win a Stanley Cup. If I were Tavares, I'd request to move the **** outta there. He's too talented to go nowhere.

Deebs

Let's swim to the moon
Feb 5, 2014
If they are out of the playoff picture, it is in the Islanders' best interest to trade Tavares to the highest bidder this year.

Absolutely. Johnny T is growing tired of that entire situation, who wouldn't. The Islanders suck and they are going to suck for the foreseeable future. It's a terrible team and franchise. He's going to walk when the time comes.

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
To MTL

Bjugstad

To FLA

2017 1st
2017 2nd
NAthan Beaulieu

Lehkonen-Chucky-Radulov

Patches- Bjugstad- gallagher

Byron-Plekanec-Shaw

Danault-Mitchell-Flynn (carr)

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
There are not many comparable to John Tavares in the post-cap era. Here are the best players I know of who have been traded, I list some of the differences and comment on the assets:

Rick Nash+Steven Delisle+Conditional 2013 3rd rounder
for
Artem Anisimov, Brandon Dubsinky, Tim Erixon, 2013 1st rounder (Kerby Rychel)
Rick Nash was 28 years old at the time of the trade and he had five years remaining on contract, at a cap hit paying 7.8 million.
2012 off-season
Analysis: Nash is a lesser player than Tavares, though he was in a more valuable contract situation, and he was traded for 4 pieces of intermediate value. This was the best deal Columbus could get after advertising their sale to everybody for a period of 1 year.

Chris Pronger+Ryan Dingle
for
Joffrey Lupul, Luca Sbisa, two 1st rounders (Emerson Etem, Peter Holland)
Following which, Pronger signed a 7-year contract extension
2009 off season
Analysis: This trade didn't work out but it made a lot of sense. Lupul is an intermediate-value piece just like what the Blue Jackets got for Nash, but the Flyers gave two 1st rounders rather than one. Further, Luca Sbisa was then viewed as an elite defensive prospect. He's turned out to be merely ok, but at the time his potential was regarded as extremely high.

Marian Hossa+Pascal Dupuis
for
Eric Christensen, Colby Armstrong, Angelo Esposito, 1st round pick (Daultan Leveille)
Contract: This was a deadline rental, which may explain why Atlanta got the least value out of the trades discussed in this post.
Analysis: Atlanta got two intermediate-value pieces in Christensen and Armstrong (who then declined), Esposito who was believed to be an elite prospect, and a late 1st rounder.

Global Analysis:
The typical package is a late 1st rounder, a good-but-not-elite prospect, and some intermediate-value roster players.

There are no Pacioretty's or Gallagher's in these trades, only intermediate-value roster players are trade, which on the Habs might mean Nathan Beaulieu, Greg Pateryn.

Sbisa is the only plausible comparable to Sergachev. Most of the traded prospects were not great. There are however several players comparable to McCarron, Scherbak, and Juulsen, typically 1 per trade.

In spite of the fact that some here think Timmins should be fired for not batting 1.000 in the first round, none of the 1st rounders resulted in home runs. Life goes on without Kerby Rychel, Emerson Etem, Peter Holland, and Daultan Leveille.

There are no cap dumps in these trades, but I think that's a fluke. There can be cap dumps, particularly with the changes to the CBA formula after the last lockout.

So, a likely traded for Tavares given the historical model is Cap dump, Beaulieu, McCarron, and a 2017 1st rounder. Islanders might also throw in a 5th rounder, because these marginal value throw-ins seem to make it into these trades.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
Who's are BEST analytics but worst player. Offer him and a 1st for Barkov ??? Cup...

Florida coach (former gm) is apparently an analytics freak. They joked that he would use a computer to open the doors in the AHL. Player aren't that fond of him. You need to find a player on their team with bad analytics but whos actually a good player and trade them back some analytics darling like DD :laugh:

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
How about Jonathan Marchessault from Florida. Would be the perfect DD replacement. Checks all the boxes. ;);)

But on a serious note with the disaster in FLA MB should swoop in and try and get Jagr. I know he isn't the same Jagr but I think he would look great on a line with AG/Rads.

Deebs

Let's swim to the moon
Feb 5, 2014
How about Jonathan Marchessault from Florida. Would be the perfect DD replacement. Checks all the boxes. ;);)

But on a serious note with the disaster in FLA MB should swoop in and try and get Jagr. I know he isn't the same Jagr but I think he would look great on a line with AG/Rads.

Can he play Left, because I'd hate to move Radu over

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Florida coach (former gm) is apparently an analytics freak. They joked that he would use a computer to open the doors in the AHL. Player aren't that fond of him. You need to find a player on their team with bad analytics but whos actually a good player and trade them back some analytics darling like DD :laugh:

Exactly my point! Teams that rely solely on one facet of player analysis are ripe for the picking. Hudbranson for McCann is a perfect example. Arizona with Chayka is in the same boat.

Can't imagine several GMs aren't licking their chops in anticipation of exploiting them.

A Loyal Dog

Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Can he play Left, because I'd hate to move Radu over

Jagr could play with Pleky! Thing is, I don't think MTL wants Jagr. I read somewhere that Jagr would love to play for MTL. We could have had him several times, but we always passed on him... I would LOVE to see Jagr sporting a Habs jersey. He's one of my favourite players, and he is a blast to see on the ice.

A Loyal Dog

Woof!
Oct 20, 2016

It's too bad Florida didn't draft Laine. We could have traded for Laine!

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
How about Bozak? Shouldn't cost a lot , if the Leafs are willing to trade with us...

Chucky, Plek/Bozak,Plek/Bozak, Mitchell

He's having a good year 15 points in 21 games.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Dreger on 690 this morning:

“Again, some of the areas that we’ve talked about that might be perceived as weakness – they might leap off the page, or off the ice, when Bergevin is watching a game. And there’s only so much you can do in-season. We know that. Centers are almost never available. Good defense are almost never available, unless you want to absolutely mortgage your future, give away top assets and all of that to acquire them. And even then, that doesn’t happen until you get to the trade deadline.

“So I think he’s open to interest, but I don’t get the sense from managers that I’m talking to that he’s kicking down doors looking for players.â€

http://www.fanragsports.com/news/dreger-doesnt-seem-like-bergevin-kicking-doors-trade-front/

Darren Dreger's "sources" are hilariously dubious. I wouldn't put much stock at all in anything that he has to say about the inner workings of General Managers in the NHL now that Dave Nonis is gone.

His entire rolodex is essentially a handful of player agents. He's about as connected as your average beat writer so this "report" sheds almost no light on what the Canadiens are and are not doing.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Exactly my point! Teams that rely solely on one facet of player analysis are ripe for the picking. Hudbranson for McCann is a perfect example. Arizona with Chayka is in the same boat.

Can't imagine several GMs aren't licking their chops in anticipation of exploiting them.

Chayka is not all in with analytics at all. He's a strong believer in them - even founded a company based on them - but he believes they are simply an under utilized tool but one of many different tools used to determine a players worth.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
What do you guys think about going after a guy like Ryan strome. Seems as though he has seriously fallen out favor in NYI and could be had for somewhat cheap. I think this kid just needs a change of scenery and a fresh start. With these types of deals (getting a young talented underachieving player for cheap) you only need to hit it 1 out of every 2, 3 times and it all becomes a net positive. I think it's a good risk to take. Very talented center that doesn't need to be a #1 but can slowly easy into a number 2 role. If he truly is a bust, we wouldn't have had to give up too much for him and if he hits, then we come out on top. You're never going to end up on the good side of the deal if you trade for an overachieving young player. I think this is a good risk to take...

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
i think strome needs sheltering even if he does pan out. can we shelter both our top 2 centers? need a guy good both ways to.be 2c.imo

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Darren Dreger's "sources" are hilariously dubious. I wouldn't put much stock at all in anything that he has to say about the inner workings of General Managers in the NHL now that Dave Nonis is gone.

His entire rolodex is essentially a handful of player agents. He's about as connected as your average beat writer so this "report" sheds almost no light on what the Canadiens are and are not doing.

I merely posted Dreger as a mainstream source -- never implied that he was an absolute source or of the caliber of Bobby Mac. It is what it is -- beats non-mainstream pundits any day.

As for your "hilariously dubious" qualifier, too easy for an anonymous poster on a hockey board to pontificate from a virtual pulpit -- unless one is an insider or has direct knowledge of Dreger's current sources (the Nonis connection has been beaten to death and is now ancient history), I'd say it's too easy to dispense ridicule without any substantiation.

Last edited:

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I merely posted Dreger as a mainstream source -- never implied that he was an absolute source or of the caliber of Bobby Mac. It is what it is -- beats non-mainstream pundits any day.

As for your "hilariously dubious" qualifier, too easy for an anonymous poster on a hockey board to pontificate from a virtual pulpit -- unless one is an insider or has direct knowledge of Dreger's current sources (the Nonis connection has been beaten to death and is now ancient history), I'd say it's too easy to dispense ridicule without any substantiation.

I'm not going to do what is required to prove how I know this, so feel free to take it with a grain of salt.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
What do you guys think about going after a guy like Ryan strome. Seems as though he has seriously fallen out favor in NYI and could be had for somewhat cheap. I think this kid just needs a change of scenery and a fresh start. With these types of deals (getting a young talented underachieving player for cheap) you only need to hit it 1 out of every 2, 3 times and it all becomes a net positive. I think it's a good risk to take. Very talented center that doesn't need to be a #1 but can slowly easy into a number 2 role. If he truly is a bust, we wouldn't have had to give up too much for him and if he hits, then we come out on top. You're never going to end up on the good side of the deal if you trade for an overachieving young player. I think this is a good risk to take...

Check the previous pages. There seems to be quite a bit of support for this gamble. Buy-low opportunity probably due to how he is being handled by Capuano. I would throw a couple prospects at them for this player, something like Carr & Scherback. Plus DD if they want him (one can try... give 'em both options!).

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
i think strome needs sheltering even if he does pan out. can we shelter both our top 2 centers? need a guy good both ways to.be 2c.imo

Any player that age needs sheltering. Galchenyuk benefits from playing with Radulov and especially Byron, whose speed provides insurance. Strome does not need any more sheltering than DD gets, plus he will improve with age. The team can shelter one creative center, especially if Pleks is not scoring: Pleks can suck it up until he does start scoring.

TCIH

Nov 26, 2007
Montreal
If they're getting anyone from the Leafs, I'd want it to be Kadri.

JVR is poor defensively and Bozak spends too much time injured.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm not going to do what is required to prove how I know this, so feel free to take it with a grain of salt.

You're entitled to your opinion.

He uses a rolodex, huh? :laugh:

I totally understand he's not the best but neither is he chopped liver. If he doesn't speak to other GMs, why would he say he does? Doesn't add up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->