HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #85 - Offseason Editon

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I’ve seen multiple people this week suggest we acquire Huberdeau and Campbell. Have people lost their damn minds with this rebuild?

Gallagher for Campbell is somewhat of a rebuilding move.

It saves cap space for the next three years, roughly 2 million a year, that can hopefully be used on better players.

It opens up a roster spot on RW.

Campbell might be a better goalie for Laval.

But, I think that Edmonton would need to add, because this trade helps them a lot.

Destopcorner

Apr 29, 2018
EDM probably ends up better with this trade and we'd still be needing wingers to play with McDavid.

Our D, however, would likely still be good without Guhle.
Indeed I think its a generous offer for the best player in the world. We have many wingers for him down the pipeline, Caufield would be a lock to score 60 next to him.

Guhle is our most coverted asset at D imo, also most likely to leave with the incoming salary increase.

Like you said, we'd do just fine without him. Too many good Ds means loose some for free on waivers ala Beauchemin.

Last edited:

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
I would much rather have Campbell in Laval at 3.85 M than Gallagher taking up a spot in Montreal at 6.5M. I would rather have the ensuing 8M in cap space over the next 3 years that comes with it that might allow us to sign or trade for the super star forward that this team requires. I would rather have Joshua Roy in Gallagher's spot learning to play and build chemistry with our young core than a washed up vet who can barely skate right now, never mind 4 years from now.

Gallagher's time here is all but done and when the first opportunity for Hughes to move him presents itself that allows Hughes to shed cap space it will be the end of Gally in Montreal.

I love what Gallagher brought to the organization in his prime but he will never be that again and this might be our only opportunity to move him before he officially is an albatross and anchor that impedes progress on a rebuilding team.
We don't need cap space. And Gallaghers contract will be expiring at just the right time when we'll be ready to go after some big-name UFA. In the meantime, Gally is still a decent player and respected leader on our team. Not to mention the fact he's been a blood and guts, homegrown player. And for the other reasons I mentioned, Edm would NOT be interested in this deal! It's pure illogical fantasy kind of stuff. Makes as close to no sense for either team as you can get. If anything, we should look at trying to make a steal of a deal for a guy like Monty. That would fit Edm best as they don't want to add cap space and Monty is cheap. And we have some good goalie prospects in the pipeline. Heck, if we wanted to solve all of Edm's issues, we also have a plethora of defensemen. Maybe a pkg of Monty and someone like Kovacevic or Harris for high picks and/or prospects would make a ton more sense.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Gallagher for Campbell is somewhat of a rebuilding move.

It saves cap space for the next three years, roughly 2 million a year, that can hopefully be used on better players.

It opens up a roster spot on RW.

Campbell might be a better goalie for Laval.

But, I think that Edmonton would need to add, because this trade helps them a lot.

Yeah, I did throw in room for tinkering as Gally/Campbell are just the base.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Why do so many young players like Bourgeault, Holloway, Puljujarvi, and Admiral Yamamoto bust in Edmonton? Is it because they were never good players or because the Edmonton organization destroys youth?
Pulju Yamamoto have not really succeeded anywhere else. Broberg is nothing great. Yakupov was a bust. Taking Bourgault while they could have had Wallstedt. Seems like poor drafting to me.

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
I would much rather have Campbell in Laval at 3.85 M than Gallagher taking up a spot in Montreal at 6.5M. I would rather have the ensuing 8M in cap space over the next 3 years that comes with it that might allow us to sign or trade for the super star forward that this team requires. I would rather have Joshua Roy in Gallagher's spot learning to play and build chemistry with our young core than a washed up vet who can barely skate right now, never mind 4 years from now.

Gallagher's time here is all but done and when the first opportunity for Hughes to move him presents itself that allows Hughes to shed cap space it will be the end of Gally in Montreal.

I love what Gallagher brought to the organization in his prime but he will never be that again and this might be our only opportunity to move him before he officially is an albatross and anchor that impedes progress on a rebuilding team.
The main problem is both have a M-NTC . Do you know if Montreal and Edmonton are on the that list? I don't see Campbell lifting his M-NTC for Montreal (with 3 goalies in the NHL).

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Gallagher is on pace for 30 goals, we have 13 million in cap space. hardly doubt he's the problem.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Why do so many young players like Bourgeault, Holloway, Puljujarvi, and Admiral Yamamoto bust in Edmonton? Is it because they were never good players or because the Edmonton organization destroys youth?
They haven't been able to develop any goalies or defensive dmen either or even draft them.

Saying that, Yamamoto is way too light (even more at his size) and Puljujarvi had hips issues (and surgery) early on.

No idea about Holloway and Bourgeault thought.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Sure, let's trade Monteambeault+Kovacevic to Edmonton for cap dump + unprotected 1st. If Holland is willing to do it, why not lol?

Edmonton are on record admitting that forward depth is a huge problem and needs to be addressed yet we have posters saying they don't need Gally and offer Kovacevic who is very possibly a 7th dman on that team lol.

And they say I am in fantasy land :help:

My IL list is about to balloon even further.

They haven't been able to develop any goalies or defensive dmen either or even draft them.

Saying that, Yamamoto is way too light (even more at his size) and Puljujarvi had hips issues (and surgery) early on.

No idea about Holloway and Bourgeault thought.

Their prospects are awful although I agree that both Borgeault and Holloway are interesting but I wasn't dumb enough to add them to the Gallagher proposal lol

Revansky

Mar 17, 2013
Montreal
You can save another 1.15 M$ by putting Campbell in the AHL. Gally has an NMC which prevent that.

It's a tough one as Gallagher is a more useful player, but his contract will get worse and worse each year. Maybe they like how he mentors the kid with his work ethic and find it more valuable than the cap savings they could get.

If you buyout both contracts in the 2025 offseason (to compete in 2025-2026) the only major difference is in the second year of the 4 years (4.25 M$ vs 2.45 M$). The difference in the three other years is around 400 K$ which means there's not a big advantage if you plan to do a buyout at some point.

So the main advantage would be if Campbell is put in the AHL for the reminder of the contract you get 3.85 M$ caphit versus 6.5 M$ but i don't think you can keep a player like that in the minors for so long without buying him out.

If habs wanted to be agressive on the free agent market in the next two years, it would maybe makes sense, but i don't think we will be competitive for at least two other years. So i wouldn't do it as on paper it would make sense but you can't keep Campbell in the AHL for four years which will negate a lot of the advantage of that trade.

Reactions: Destopcorner

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
Edmonton are on record admitting that forward depth is a huge problem and needs to be addressed yet we have posters saying they don't need Gally and offer Kovacevic who is very possibly a 7th dman on that team lol.

And they say I am in fantasy land :help:

My IL list is about to balloon even further.

Holy crap...I shouldn't be surprised considering your profile. You truly believe Edm is in more dire need of forwards vs D and goaltending? Fill your boots then, your estimation game is seriously lacking. They need defensive-minded defensemen and goaltending. Kovacevic or Harris and Monty would fit that bill. But hey, a Gally for Campbell proposal makes so much more sense, LMAO. The level of absurdity here is off the charts. Go propose that deal on the Edm board. They'd laugh you out of the room.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
You can save another 1.15 M$ by putting Campbell in the AHL. Gally has an NMC which prevent that.

It's a tough one as Gallagher is a more useful player, but his contract will get worse and worse each year. Maybe they like how he mentors the kid with his work ethic and find it more valuable than the cap savings they could get.

If you buyout both contracts in the 2025 offseason (to compete in 2025-2026) the only major difference is in the second year of the 4 years (4.25 M$ vs 2.45 M$). The difference in the three other years is around 400 K$ which means there's not a big advantage if you plan to do a buyout at some point.

So the main advantage would be if Campbell is put in the AHL for the reminder of the contract you get 3.85 M$ caphit versus 6.5 M$ but i don't think you can keep a player like that in the minors for so long without buying him out.

If habs wanted to be agressive on the free agent market in the next two years, it would maybe makes sense, but i don't think we will be competitive for at least two other years. So i wouldn't do it as on paper it would make sense but you can't keep Campbell in the AHL for four years which will negate a lot of the advantage of that trade.

While we may not fully agree here I do appreciate the fact that you actually understand the proposal and at least took the time to refute it in a coherent manner.

Thank you for at least temporarily restoring some intelligence to this thread.

I do think that we can keep Campbell in the AHL for 4 years as there are issues with him that I won't get into but for his own well being and happiness it might very well be better for him and I fully believe that he would provide little to no opposition. His ceiling was an NHL backup and playing in the AHL is where he likely belongs. Like any goalie is capable of he had a good run but it was short lived and his confidence may be permanently shattered. If you ever met the man you would very likely agree with me.

Once again, thank you for your nuanced response.

Holy crap...I shouldn't be surprised considering your profile. You truly believe Edm is in more dire need of forwards vs D and goaltending? Fill your boots then, your estimation game is seriously lacking. They need defensive-minded defensemen and goaltending. Kovacevic or Harris and Monty would fit that bill. But hey, a Gally for Campbell proposal makes so much more sense, LMAO. The level of absurdity here is off the charts. Go propose that deal on the Edm board. They'd laugh you out of the room.

I have nothing left to say regarding your absurd takes on the topic so this will be my final interaction with you.

Bye now :)

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
While we may not fully agree here I do appreciate the fact that you actually understand the proposal and at least took the time to refute it in a coherent manner.

Thank you for at least temporarily restoring some intelligence to this thread.

I do think that we can keep Campbell in the AHL for 4 years as there are issues with him that I won't get into but for his own well being and happiness it might very well be better for him and I fully believe that he would provide little to no opposition. His ceiling was an NHL backup and playing in the AHL is where he likely belongs. Like any goalie is capable of he had a good run but it was short lived and his confidence may be permanently shattered. If you ever met the man you would very likely agree with me.

Once again, thank you for your nuanced response.

I have nothing left to say regarding your absurd takes on the topic so this will be my final interaction with you.

Bye now :)
Thank GOD. Hahaha...the guy posts a Gallagher for freaking Jack Campbell trade and questions my takes...LOL. Man, this board is hilarious at times.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
Rangers will push hard to make a long run in this year playoff. I think they will be a good candidate to trade them monahan at the deadline. He would add quality depth for their team at a very little cost. If Monahan keep producing like that we could go for Lafreniere and their first pick

Reactions: bsl
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad